#21 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Hi Indy,
Thanks for the nomination but as Rob pointed out earlier on this thread, Robert E. Howard and the Issue of Racism isn't eligible. It was published in two different years and no article can receive two awards. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of everyone who nominated it though.

I'm not up for any award this year. So being footloose and fancy free, I plan to bring a camera and take photos as each person shakes Rusty's and/or Indy's hand and accepts an award.
Thanks again, Indy,
BB

#22 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'm still working on my list, but I'll throw out a few preliminary ideas to get the discussion going.

Valusian (Best anthology)
Anniversary: Glenn Lord and the Howard Collector (ed. Dennis McHaney)
Lone Scout of Letters (ed. Rob Roehm)

Hyrkanian (Best essay)
"Southwestern Discomfit" by Mark Finn
"Robert E. Howard and the Issue of Racism" by Barbara Barrett

Aquilonian (Periodical)
The Howard Collector (This should count I think; a new issue was published last year and there was an intention of of doing further issues)
REH: Two-Gun Raconteur
The Dark Man

The Stygian (Website)
Tough to beat TGR here

Cimmerian (Blog posts)
Al Harron (Blog that Time Forgot and Conan Movie Blog)
Brian Leno (TGR; I'm a sucker for old-school boxing)
Keith Taylor (TGR; and I'm a sucker for history too)

The Black Circle (Lifetime Achievement)
This one works a little differently, as you have to first meet the requirements to be on the list of potential nominees, then be nominated to be on the ballot for the following year, then be confirmed with a 60% vote to approve. Last year Dennis McHaney and Damon Sasser were nominated and will be on the ballot this year. The existing list for potential nominees as far as I know (and Rob please correct me if I'm wrong) is:

BLOSSER, FRED
CERASINI, MARC
De CAMP, LYON SPRAGUE (posthumous)
HOFFMAN, CHARLES
LOVING, BILLIE RUTH (posthumous)
THOMAS, ROY
WAGNER, KARL EDWARD (posthumous)

I would like to point out that PATRICE LOUINET, published his first article on REH in 1990 and now has twenty years in. I suggest that Patrice be added to the list of potential nominees.

CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE BLACK CIRCLE
Glenn Lord (2004)
Rusty Burke (2006)
Don Herron (2006)
Novalyne Price Ellis (2007)

Ummm...Bill Cavalier 2010

Oops, sorry Indy. But in my defense I was just cutting and pasting from the Foundation's 2011 awards page. See:

http://www.rehfounda...ndation-awards/
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#23 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Do you feel that these forums should be considered as the best REH related Website? Then nominate 'em!

That would be nice :)

#24 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'm not up for any award this year.

You might be nominated for a Cimmerian Award, oh Word of the Week poster.

Rob

#25 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

And, I was looking forward to not having that stomach churning, throat tightening tenseness as that envelope is opened and... ooops, wrong award ceremony. B)

I'm still bringing my camera, Rob.
BB

#26 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

Rob,
Just checking to be sure you have my REHF Award nominations list? I know March 11 is the last day to get them in and I don't want to miss out......

Can't wait to see what and who has been nominated. When will you post that list?
BB

#27 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Voting is now open for REH Foundations members. The list of nominees is here:

http://www.rehfounda.../voting-begins/

We didn't get a lot of participation in the nomination process, so I listed everyone, as usual. Voting ends April 15.

Rob

#28 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

I didn't see this thread until it was too late to nominate! Too bad!

But I will vote.

#29 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

Warlord of the Southwestern Shield Wall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hey, there's not a place on the ballots for Dreams in the Fire? Note even in the Black River category?
Mark Finn
Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
Second Edition now available from the Robert E. Howard Foundation Press

Finn's Home Away From Home, REDUX!

#30 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hey, there's not a place on the ballots for Dreams in the Fire? Note even in the Black River category?

The purpose of the Awards is to reward scholarship. The description of the Black River Award says it's for "scholarly presentations, biographical discoveries, etc." So, while Dreams in the Fire is a fine thing, I don't think it crosses into scholarship.

Rob

#31 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Do you feel that these forums should be considered as the best REH related Website? Then nominate 'em!

Wow. Ignored again. Guess it's just not meant to be. All this volunteer work for naught... save to make the site as good as it can be for the members.

#32 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Wow. Ignored again. Guess it's just not meant to be. All this volunteer work for naught... save to make the site as good as it can be for the members.

The Stygian — Outstanding Achievement, Website (Nominees are limited to Internet sites with a main purpose of archiving REH scholarship. Chat groups and e-mail lists do not qualify. To get on the ballot, each website must have updated their content at least once in the past year.)

It doesn't sound like the forums qualify. I guess they want to keep it focused on content oriented sites. I think I understand where they're coming from, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#33 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

Warlord of the Southwestern Shield Wall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

I second that emotion. Aside from the Yahoo groups, which wax and wane, these forums always have a steady level of participation to them. I also see the Foundation's point, but I don't agree with it.

Maybe the Black River award needs to be modified to be a catch-all for ANY project promoting REH in a positive way, and not just with an emphasis on academics. Hmmmm...
Mark Finn
Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
Second Edition now available from the Robert E. Howard Foundation Press

Finn's Home Away From Home, REDUX!

#34 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Maybe the Black River award needs to be modified to be a catch-all for ANY project promoting REH in a positive way, and not just with an emphasis on academics. Hmmmm...

When we set up the awards, the idea was to continue what Leo Grin had started with The Cimmerian Awards. Leo's focus was scholarship, and that's what we were interested in promoting as well. In my opinion, when you open the door to pastiche, fan fiction, etc., you're defeating the purpose.

Rob

#35 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

The Stygian — Outstanding Achievement, Website (Nominees are limited to Internet sites with a main purpose of archiving REH scholarship. Chat groups and e-mail lists do not qualify. To get on the ballot, each website must have updated their content at least once in the past year.)

It doesn't sound like the forums qualify. I guess they want to keep it focused on content oriented sites. I think I understand where they're coming from, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

Well, we're neither a chat group nor an e-mail list, and a lot of scholarly discussion does go on here. I'm just disappointed we get snubbed year after year.

#36 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hi Crom,
Maybe formal awards are not given to the Conan Forum, but you don't get snubbed by your readers -- those of us who enjoy reading the various threads here and check in several times a day to catch up on our favorite ones. This Forum is incredibly well organized and it's easy to find subject areas of interest. The administrators do a super job of keeping everyone on topic and making sure people who go ballistic are kept in check. Not easy to do and it requires a lot of dedication and effort. My kudos to all of you.

As you say, there is a lot of scholarly information exchanged here. Some of those who post here are incredibly knowledgeable. I re-read the categories for the REHF awards and if I read them correctly, they are given to *people* who post on certain websites, not to the websites themselves. It's difficult to post an in-depth article here. I just wish some of those who post here would share their knowledge with us and write papers that can be posted on TGR or on other websites.

BTW, there are other forums that do not qualify either. Articles written for the REH United Press Association and the Electronic REHupa aren't included even though some of them are 20 plus pages or more.

Kinda just wanted to check in to say that no awards doesn't mean no appreciation! Thanks for the hard work on our behalf.
BB

#37 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

In the 9 years I've run these forums I can count on the fingers of one hand comments like yours. Usually it's a complaint or something else along those lines. So, thanks for the kind words, Barbara. We do our best. (Though I still think... ah, never mind...)

#38 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Well here is another one for you! I have been a pretty solitary Howard fan most of my life, and it has been a great experience connecting with others on this board!

You get the official Zack Davisson Appreciation Award, for all that is worth.

#39 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Crom, I owe you a huge apology! When preparing the post for the April 15th voting deadline for REHF ballots (see the REH Foundation Awards thread), I found the Stygian Award category, which is for websites themselves. I missed that when checking last time. My bad.

As explained in an earlier post about the Stygian category: "Nominees are limited to Internet sites with a main purpose of archiving REH scholarship. Chat groups and e-mail lists do not qualify."

While the REHF's main purpose is REH scholarship, this doesn't change any of my comments regarding the high quality of the Forum organization, dedication and hard work all of you do on our behalf.
Just wanted to set the record straight.
BB

BB