37 replies to this topic

#21 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

It came through on rental today, planning to watch it over the weekend - uh oh, scrap that, the in-laws are staying over....

#22 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Picked up my copy at Best Buy on the way home.
Looks like I'll be watching it, again, this weekend.
Interested to hear what comes through in the commentaries.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#23 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

It came through on rental today, planning to watch it over the weekend - uh oh, scrap that, the in-laws are staying over....

Play it for the in-laws. What a treat! They'll thank you. Let us know how they liked it.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#24 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Play it for the in-laws. What a treat! They'll thank you. Let us know how they liked it.

They arriving tomorrow so we watched first two episodes tonight - lol they wouldn't appreciate the sex scenes.

First impression - the opening scene is the best version of Cimmeria I've seen lol

Been a while since I read the books and wife never had but no probs getting to grips with characters and plot lines. Very enjoyable, looking forward to seeing the rest. Let's hope it prompts other decent adaptations

#25 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Let's hope it prompts other decent adaptations

We can always hope. GoT/ ASoI&F (both dvds and books) are flying out of Amazon. Not far behind Meyers and Rowling at all (that's the view from ground level, anyway).

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#26 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,799 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

Now working my way through GoT Season 1, enjoying both the episodes and the commentaries. :) :rolleyes: :)
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#27 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

glad you are getting a chance to watch this IH.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#28 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,799 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

The other night I watched the commentary by the three kid actors - Bran and his two sisters. The mixture of Childish enthusiasm, and professionalism, was interesting. Especially impressed when looking at the faces of some of the superb adult actors depicting complex, layered emotions, and the kids going "Look at that! My God, how does he DO that?" These kids have enough conscious professionalism that they are obsessing on whether they will be able to do that when they grow up. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ironhand, 17 March 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#29 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

the arya actor, even insisted on doing her sword scenes as a left-hand, just like the book character...can't wait to see all these kids grow as actors too, as the series is gonna last at least 5 seasins if all goes well

#30 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

I got season 1 on Blu-ray for my birthday and now I have the Dark other half addicted to it as well.
The Australian special edition includes a featurette disc and glossy photobook.

Edited by Dark Mark, 21 March 2012 - 08:45 AM.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#31 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Arya is one of my favorite characters, and the actress that plays her on the show is great. I just hope the kid actors don't get too old as the TV series moves along.

Here in the States, I heard that the edition sold at Costco has that glossy photobook, but I'm not sure if it has the extra disc too (since I'm not a member of the store). Anyway, I haven't seen the book yet - is it pretty good?
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#32 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Here in the States, I heard that the edition sold at Costco has that glossy photobook, but I'm not sure if it has the extra disc too (since I'm not a member of the store). Anyway, I haven't seen the book yet - is it pretty good?

It's a store exclusive here too, it just contains glossy pictures from the show. I would rather see concept art. I bought it for the disk content really which I haven't explored yet.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#33 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

the arya actor, even insisted on doing her sword scenes as a left-hand, just like the book character...can't wait to see all these kids grow as actors too, as the series is gonna last at least 5 seasins if all goes well

When I first watched her in the series I wondered if she was left handed or not. During her 'dance lessons' she uses the sword left handed but there was a moment when her teacher tosses it to her and she caught it right handed.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#34 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

well..you can't have everything :P

#35 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,799 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

Anybody know how sales went?

#36 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Anybody know how sales went?

http://www.the-numbe...ly/thisweek.php

http://www.the-numbe...ray-sales-chart

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#37 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

It's HBO's biggest DVD seller. Really amazing when you think of the major fantasy bombs this year. Despite my oft-expressed ambivalence about the book series — parts of it I love, parts of it I don't, and I think the scale has become ridiculous — you have to give Martin and the HBO showrunners (and a stellar cast) for legitimizing fantasy on film in a totally unprecedented manner.

#38 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I normally watch the show and have done with it, preferring to keep my money for music and art, but I will be buying this series as I did with the original Star Gate series. Great show indeed. Starting to add the fantasy element that people were asking about now, great.
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century