Photo

Why Was Soloman Kane Not Released In U.s.?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Yes, a season of REH stories; with each episode another story, whether it be boxing, Conan, or other charactors.

What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#22 svent13

svent13

Prairie Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

A full season with one character I think would actually be bad for the series, especially with boxing slowly moving out of most people's thoughts, an hour show with 1 half hour and 2 15 minute segments of multiple genres would work, as such having one episode with a Steve Costigan, Breckinridge Elkins, an HP story as well as a ERB story. Allow the episodes to be multiple parts, I'm thinking along the lines of Marvel Comics Presents, have 2-3 multiple part episodes with last 3-7 or so episodes at 15 minutes each and have 1-2 one off shows an episode such as one of the multiple short short stories from the Pulp greats. The only way I see this happening is if it combines multiple Pulp authors, I would love a REH only but that is wishful thinking and to be honest having multiple seasons with equal segments to REH ERB and HP plus others would be awesome.

My dream season would consist of 10-20 episodes, allowing ERB's Tarzan of the Apes as well as REH's Conan story Red Nails to showcase the first half of the 1st season (those being two biggest names that would allow people to tune in since 9 outta 10 people know those two.) so roughly 10 15 minute segments of Tarzan and Conan. The latter half allow Princess of Mars and say Breckinridge Elkins or such as the lead segments for the last 5-10 episodes.

I agree with you, as far as a finished product would go.  A format as you describe would be cool, in that having vastly different stories like that from the pulps would keep the show constantly fresh.

However, on the production end, it would almost defeat the idea of getting newcomers, both directors and actors, with less money, to put out a good quality show based on the old pulp stories.  Having to constantly change sets and sets of actors could prove to be costly enough that the project be scrapped.  Also, we would be looking at a longer span of time to get all these different sequences ready, and that potentially could result in the project getting abandoned.  Moneywise, it would work better to be able to get a bunch of stories ready for airing  in a shorter time span, to get the fan-base built and get advertisers on board to help defray costs.

Perhaps if an entire season was all set in one specific time period, or close anyway, it could work.  One season could consist of Steve Costigan stories, Steve Harrison stories, and other pulp characters in similar settings.  There's a plethora of pulp hard-boiled and gangster characters and others from the early 1900's.  We could have Costigan, The Continental Op, the Domino Lady, Steve Harrison, The Shadow, Doctor Death, Fu Manchu, and any of the others of that time period.

Then have another season where the stories are set in more primitive or mythical surroundings.  You could do Tarzan, Conan, the James Allison stories, Kull, Kane, hell, maybe even John Carter, in a second season.

Edited by svent13, 12 March 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Every day brings something new!

www.ackans.com

#23 SailorMiles

SailorMiles

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

I think that would be a great way to showcase the stories, granted the budgets wouldn't be huge and I am one of those that prefer animatronics/prosthetics  over CGI, almost makes me want to actually get a business loan, granted I only graduated in Bookkeeping/Accountant clerk but I would love to have a small time company produce shows and movies such as these, either as a television show or an asylum like movie company except I wouldn't have rushed movies scamming off other larger projects, I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of classic Carolco and Troma.

Edited by SailorMiles, 12 March 2013 - 07:54 PM.

Currently Reading:

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian

#24 svent13

svent13

Prairie Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

I think that would be a great way to showcase the stories, granted the budgets wouldn't be huge and I am one of those that prefer animatronics/prosthetics  over CGI, almost makes me want to actually get a business loan, granted I only graduated in Bookkeeping/Accountant clerk but I would love to have a small time company produce shows and movies such as these, either as a television show or an asylum like movie company except I wouldn't have rushed movies scamming off other larger projects, I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of classic Carolco and Troma.

You ever get that going, make sure you post an announcement.  I want to at least audtion to play the part of the captain in the Steve Costigan stories.  :D

Every day brings something new!

www.ackans.com

#25 SailorMiles

SailorMiles

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I have a few friends in the directing/writing side of the business unfortunately I am not too savvy on the business side of the film industry, if I had any knowledge or knew anyone with some knowledge then phase one would already be under way on how to get something like this started.

Currently Reading:

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian