22 replies to this topic

#1 SailorMiles

SailorMiles

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I was just wondering if there is any glaring holes in my collection.

So far I have bought from the Del Ray releases:

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
The Bloody Crown of Conan
The Conquering Sword of Conan
The Savage Tales of Soloman Kane
Bran Mak Morn: The Last King
Kull: Exile of Atlantis
Crimson Shadows: The Best of REH Volume 1
Grim Lands: The Best of REH Volume 2
The Horror Stories of REH
El Borak and Other Desert Adventures
Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures

REHfoundation:
Steve Harrison's Casebook
Early Adventures of El Borak
Tales of Weird Menace

Misc Anthologies:
Complete Action Stories
Waterfront Fists and Others
Boxing Stories
Adventures of Dennis Dorgan
Solomon Kane (Baen)
Sword Woman (Berkeley)
A Gent from Bear Creek (Novel)

The ones I know I'm missing is the future 4 volume set of Boxing stories, Pirate Adventures, The Last of the Trunk, & Adventures in Science Fantasy, I am about t order the 3 that are currently available shortly, now I'm not a huge fan of Poetry so those volumes even though they are worth grabbing are not in my current set of books to grab, hopefully after I get the complete stories they may still be available to get. 

Currently Reading:

#2 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Howard Works is your friend.

http://howardworks.com/

Click on REH's portrait.

That's EVERYTHING, mostly.  How complete you'd like your collection is up to you. (whether you simply want one copy of every story, or multiple copies based on other contents, etc.)

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#3 EricKRod

EricKRod

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

That site is the best out there. What's scary is I have about 80% of that stuff just sitting on shelves where anyone could just walk off with them.

:)

#4 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

Blood and Thunder, The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard by Mark Finn Volume 1 & II

One Who Walked Alone by Novalyn Price Ellis

The Dark Barbarian and The Barbaric Triumpth by Don Herron

The Last Celt

Two Gun Bob by Benjamin Szymskyj

The Collected Letters of REH Volumes 1-3

Believe me in that REH poetry is the best poet ever! Try the pocket guide poetry of REH called The Word From The Outer Dark!

What might be fun is if you visit Show Me Your Howards here and see oher REH Fans collections. I posted my collection a few weeks ago.

There are a lot more I"d like to recommend but have to go now. Will post again later.

Thanks for asking SailorMiles

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#5 svent13

svent13

Prairie Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I would like to find the Sailor Dorgan stories and the Kid Allison stories.  Does anyone have a good recommendation on where copies can be found?

Every day brings something new!

www.ackans.com

#6 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I would like to find the Sailor Dorgan stories and the Kid Allison stories.  Does anyone have a good recommendation on where copies can be found?

As always, the award-winning Howard Works website is your friend:

http://howardworks.com/subject.htm

;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#7 SailorMiles

SailorMiles

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

The Dorgan stories are rather cheap on amazon, the Adventures of Dennis Dorgan is a complete list of stories for less than 7 dollars.

Currently Reading:

#8 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

I was just wondering if there is any glaring holes in my collection.

So far I have bought from the Del Ray releases:

The Bloody Crown of Conan
The Conquering Sword of Conan
The Savage Tales of Soloman Kane
Bran Mak Morn: The Last King
Kull: Exile of Atlantis
Crimson Shadows: The Best of REH Volume 1
Grim Lands: The Best of REH Volume 2
The Horror Stories of REH
El Borak and Other Desert Adventures
Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures

REHfoundation:
Steve Harrison's Casebook
Early Adventures of El Borak
Tales of Weird Menace

Misc Anthologies:
Complete Action Stories
Waterfront Fists and Others
Boxing Stories
Adventures of Dennis Dorgan
Solomon Kane (Baen)
Sword Woman (Berkeley)
A Gent from Bear Creek (Novel)

A very impressive and solid collection.  B)   MUCH better than mine since the Flood of 2012.

If you're just looking for prose stories, then I'd say the main thing you need is a collection of the Cormac Mac Art tales, plus something that includes Marchers of Valhalla.

Welcome to the forum, Miles! Always good to see an all-around REH fan join the ranks.  :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#9 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

I would say you are missing the best REH western stories that is in End of the Trail western collection.  Also humour western Riot collection and Complete Action stories if you are Elkins fan.

#10 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Libaax is right on! The Western stories of REH are superb! Man on the Ground is one I'll never forget! Another great story I'll never forget is in Dreams in the Fire called The Word by Rob Roehm!

I wouldn't wait too long for the REH Foundation books especially The Last of the Trunk because there aren't many left and when they are gone they are gone. The Last of the Trunk is one of my all time favorite REH Foundation books! There is one story in there that REH writes about the future world events around1998 and it is like he had a crystal ball into the future!!

Also all of The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard by Paul Herman are must haves especially *The Never Ending Hunt!

Also go to downloads on REH Foundation for some suprizes!

http://www.rehfounda....org/downloads/

One more surprise!

* http://www.rehfounda...verending-hunt/

The Never Ending Hunt is one of my favorite books! The Top 10 Lists are pleasant surprises!! The download took only about 15 seconds and is in a terrific format to read and on my desktop. I still really like the book to carry around and look at. Having both is the best of both worlds! If this doesn't get Robert E. Howard fans excited and pumped up nothing will!! 

Do you have an ereader?

Enjoy!

Edited by THE KID, 10 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#11 SailorMiles

SailorMiles

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

I am a huge elkins fan and already have the riot and complete action collection, though I am still hoping for a nice REHF or DR collection of Breckinridge ala the two El Borak editions, Still thinking of grabbing spicy adventures, never got into that genre but if its REH Ill take it.

Currently Reading:

#12 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Spicey Adventures is an excellent choice with a superb cover by Jim and Ruth Keegan. In fact, all of the REH Foundation books are the best! Some are already SOLD OUT.

Spicy1.jpg

#13 SailorMiles

SailorMiles

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Ya once payday comes I'm picking that up, now to explain to my wife when she sees it in the mail why I actually bought it.

Currently Reading:

#14 svent13

svent13

Prairie Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

The ones I know I'm missing is the future 4 volume set of Boxing stories, Pirate Adventures, The Last of the Trunk, & Adventures in Science Fantasy, I am about t order the 3 that are currently available shortly, now I'm not a huge fan of Poetry so those volumes even though they are worth grabbing are not in my current set of books to grab, hopefully after I get the complete stories they may still be available to get. 

There's a future 4 volume set of Boxing stories?  Who's publishing that?  I had Waterfront Fists and Boxing Stories, and sadly, got a lot of water in the basement where the bookshelf holding most of my books was, and both of those books were among a group of about thirty that got wet and badly moldy/mildewy and had to be pitched out.  Sigh.  I lost The Lord Of Samarcand, Boxing Stories, Waterfront Fists,  The Savage Tales Of Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn: The Last King, and all three Conan books by Del Rey, as well as many works by other authors.  The only REH books untouched were Kull: Exile of Atlantis, The Riot At Bucksnort, The End Of The Trail, The Black Stranger And Other American Tales, and the first three volumes of the Weird Tales collection.  That was a really bad day.

www.ackans.com

#15 SailorMiles

SailorMiles

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Rob posted it in the Pirates! thread a little down from this post in the forum, something I am fondly looking forward to.

Currently Reading:

#16 svent13

svent13

Prairie Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Definitely.  I'll have to save up for the Boxing series.  I'd like to get all of the books currently for sale at Rehupa, but I'm only going to be able to afford to get one or two.  Definitely getting Last Of The Trunk, but from there it will be a tossup between Steve Harrison, Spicy Stories, or El Borak Early Adventures.  Where's the money tree when I need it?

www.ackans.com

#17 SailorMiles

SailorMiles

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

I know right? luckily I was able to get taxes and a job recently so I have been able to get caught up on all the releases, out of the three for the tossup like Ive said I'm not too familiar with Spicy Adventures however the Steve Harrison and El Borak are good choices I say, even though I am a huge fan of Borak, Harrison's Casebook has been a nice change REH's detective yarns start a little slow but man he picks it up towards the end making Graveyard Rats a classic in my mind.

Currently Reading:

#18 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

The Boxing volumes are very interesting to me because it would save money, time if it was complete Boxing stories volumes.   Going after Action stories, Boxning collections, second hands i dont have yet is alot of money and time.

Me since im in Europe i have to save the shipping cost more than the actual book cost.

#19 Mark

Mark

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

I am not sure if it's against the forum's rules, so I won't post it without permission, but I do know a couple of websites that you can download PDF versions of all of REH stories. I am talking ALL of the Conan, Solomon Kane, Kull, Costigan, El Borak,  horror stories etc. You don't need a client or any thing other than internet connection and hard drive space ( very little actually since a thousand Ebooks only takes up 1 or 2 gigs.) I have collected REH stories for years, and yes I stared with paper books and I have a ton of paperbacks and hardcover REH, but once I stared looking online I found stories that I have been searching for years for. It was exciting to find stories of his I have never read. I live in Canada and have ordered rare books from Florida and even overseas, but no place has the selection like the PDF internet files I have found. I am almost willing to bet I have EVERYTHING every published by REH.

I would be happy to share this info if I am allowed, however I will not post it on the forum, I will only PM you the info. The last time I posted good PDF sites one of them got shut down and the other somehow restricted their website to " read only " so I can no longer download from that site ( I am totally serious that this happened. )

#20 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

It is not allowed - do not post any links.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits!