#1 Mordhass The Malevolent

Mordhass The Malevolent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

MI-Go: The Fungi from Yuggoth

Medium-Size Aberration (Lesser Independent Race)

Climate/Terrain: Yuggoth (Pluto/Charon), deep space, moon bases, remote mountains

Organization: solitary, scouting party of 3 or 4, a colony of around 20, or (gods forbid!) an army of thousands

Hit Dice: 4d8+8

Initiative: +4

Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Blindsense

Languages: Mi-go, Elder Thing, Aklo, Senzar, Tsath-yo, Yithian, and any number of Hyborian languages

Dodge Defence: 15

Parry Defence: 12

Hit Points: 26 (4 HD)

DR 8 (Natural extraterrene body)

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +12 (+4 Racial Bonus)

Speed: 20 ft., fly 50 ft. (poor) in terrene atmospheres, 200 ft. (perfect) in deep space vacuum

Space: 5 ft.; Reach: 5 ft.

Melee: 2 Nippers +4 (1d6+1, AP 4) or artifact weapon (+7 ranged)

Base Atk +3   Grp +4 (CMD 18, cannot be tripped)

Magic Atk +1

Sorcery: Most do not use magic, but information is given just in case (as a scholar of equal HD)

Power Points: 9 (max 18)

Special Attacks: Nipper Snatch, Psychic Powers, Alien Technology, and Possibly Magic

Abilities: Str 12 (+1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 14 (+2), Int 18 (+4), Wis 18 (+4), Cha 8 (-1)

Special Qualities: Psychic Powers, Darkvision 60 ft., Immune to Cold, resistance to fire 50

Feats: Sensitive, Flyby Attack, and Psychokinesis*

Skills: Concentration (4 skill points + Con Mod) +6, Disable Device** (2 skill points + Int Mod + 5 racial) +11, Hide (2 skill points + Dex Mod) +6, Knowledge (Astronomy) (3 skill points + Int Mod) +7, Knowledge (Biology)(3 skill points + Int Mod) +7, Knowledge (Chemistry)(2 skill points + Int Mod) +6, Knowledge (Eldritch Technology and Electronics**)(4 skill points + Int Mod + 5 racial) +12, Knowledge (Geology)(2 skill points + Int Mod) +6, Knowledge (Mathematics)(3 skill points + Int Mod) +7, Knowledge (Psychology)(3 skill points + Int Mod) +7, Move Silently (4 skill ranks + Dex Mod) +8, Psychic Focus (7 skill points + Wis Mod) +11, Repair** (2 skill points + Int Mod +5 racial) +11, Tumble( 1 skill point + Dex Mod) +5

Possessions: Some Mi-go will possess Bio-armor and an Electric Gun or Mist Projector

Advancement: As character

*The Sensitive feat is taken from the Call of Cthulhu d20 Core Rules by Wizards of the Coast. Mi-go with Psychic Feats ignore the Cha prerequisite and receive the Sensitive feat as a bonus feat. Psychokinesis is also a Call of Cthulhu d20 Feat (See below).

The Mi-go expends one Power Point for a failed activation or successful activation and 1 Power Point for each minute of continual use after the first minute. The activation is a full-round action. Extra Power Points may be spent to increase the weight allowed, the movement in feet per round, and range. Beyond the starting expenditure (within 30 ft., 5 pounds or less, and 5 ft. per round): One extra Power Point doubles one of the three variables, and each extra Power Point doubles it again. Multiply the final cost by 1.5 (round down) to throw an object at an enemy. This requires a Psychic Focus check verses the Dodge Defence of the enemy. The -4 penalty for improvised weapons applies; even to use real weapons in this way. Actions of fine manipulation require a Psychic Focus check.  Picking up a new object or starting a new task requires a new check and or expenditure of Power Points.

**Mi-go receive a +5 racial bonus on Disable Device, Knowledge (Eldritch Technology and Electronics), and Repair skill checks.

Nipper Snatch: The Mi-go swoops down on a target and grabs it to take it into the sky. This is like a grapple, but the Mi-go gets a +4 bonus and the victim may not make an Attack of Opportunity. It the target is surprised, he or she may not resist on the round grabbed but may do so on the next or subsequent rounds. The Fungi from Yuggoth often take victims to a prodigious height and drop it or carry it so high that its lungs burst.

NOTE: The Mi-go may know languages from many different worlds and dimensions.

NOTE: It is inexplicable the way the wings of the Fungi from Yuggoth seem to warp and bend space and time, folding it, touching end to end.

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Some thorough work there, Mordhass.  B)  

Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth and Tsathoggua were mentioned in the very first draft of the very first Conan yarn. Plenty of other Mythos-style creatures make appearances throughout the Conan canon. So, the Mi-Go (handled well) would fit right into a Conan RPG adventure. Keep 'em comin'!

Here are some threads you might want to check out:

http://www.conan.com...c=968&hl=mythos

http://www.conan.com...841#entry198989

http://www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=5811&hl=mythos 

BTW, welcome to the forum!  :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 Mordhass The Malevolent

Mordhass The Malevolent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

Some thorough work there, Mordhass.   B)

Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth and Tsathoggua were mentioned in the very first draft of the very first Conan yarn. Plenty of other Mythos-style creatures make appearances throughout the Conan canon. So, the Mi-Go (handled well) would fit right into a Conan RPG adventure. Keep 'em comin'!

BTW, welcome to the forum!   :D

I adjusted d20 Cthulhu stats. Below is a chart I borrowed and altered and one I created for the Mi-go psychic power.

Psychokinesis DC Chart

Task                                                               DC

Opening a door                                              20

Turning a dial to a specific setting                 25

Tying or untying a knot                                  10 + Use Rope check of the one that made it

Sign one’s name with a writing tool               35

Psychokinesis Variables Chart

Range in ft.            Power Point Cost

30                            1

60                            2

120                          3

240                          4

Weight                   Power Point Cost

5                              1

10                            2

20                            3

40                            4

Ft. / round            Power Point Cost

5                              1

10                            2

20                            3

40                            4

Thanks for the reply. I have read more H.P. Lovecraft than REH at this time, and I have read "The Phoenix on the Sword". Is that his first? I have a Del Rey book with REH's first submitted draft of that one. I read the finished product.

I was playing around with Lovecraft elements with 1st and 2nd edition D&D and decided that I would get Pathfinder. I have the CONAN 2nd Edition and several others of those Mongoose books. I like magic points. They are used in Chaosium's Cthulhu. That is how I got a taste of it. I'll use the magic point system in Unearthed Arcana (3E) for Pathfinder, but since I like the Mongoose CONAN game, too, I shall make stats for both games. The major difference is the skill points (no 4x at 1st level), the skill names, armor as DR. Notice that beside the Mi-go Grapple score I placed the CMD of Pathfinder (a Grapple score with DEX Mod added) to facilitate the use of those rules. Further, I noticed that a lot of folks put stats online for others to use. If I am to do the work, I may as well share. I hope that people that do not have time or desire to do it for themselves will benefit.

Check out "The Tale of Satampra Zeiros" by Clark Ashton Smith in The Tsathoggua Cycle published by Chaosium to "see" the following creature in action:

The Formless Spawn of Tsathoggua

Large Ooze (Lesser Servitor Race)

Climate/Terrain: Temples of Tsathoggua, subterranean caverns

Organization: Solitary

Hit Dice: 5d10+10

Initiative: +11

Senses: Darkvision 60’, tremorsense 30 ft., blindsense 30 ft.

Languages: None Known

Dodge Defence: 18 (Dex +7; Improved Initiative)

Parry Defence: -

Hit Points: 37 (5 HD)

DR Total

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +1

Immunities: Physical damage (see also special qualities)

Weaknesses: Fire does normal damage

Speed: slither 45 ft., climb 30 ft.

Space: 5 ft.; Reach: 20 ft.

Melee: 4 pseudopods +7 (1d8+4, AP -); or 1 bite +7 (swallow whole)

Base Atk +3   Grp +7 (CMD 24, cannot be tripped)

Magic Atk -

Sorcery -

Power Points: - (max -)

Special Attacks: Improved Grab, ingestion, swallow whole (the latter two in Call of Cthulhu d20)

Abilities: Str 18 (+4), Dex 24 (+7), Con 14 (+2), Int -, Wis 10 (+0), Cha -

Special Qualities: Immune to paralysis, effects that require a Will Save, stunning, critical hits, and having their shape changed; cannot be flanked; do not sleep and may not eat; mindless; Darkvision 60’, tremorsense and Blindsense

Feats: Improved Initiative and Stealthy

Skills: Climb (3 skill points + Str Mod) +7, Jump (5 skill points + Str Mod) +9, Search (4 skill points + Int Mod) +4, Tumble(4 skill points + Dex Mod + 2 synergy (jump) +11

Possessions: -

Advancement: 6-10 HD (Huge); 11-20 HD (Gargantuan); 21+ HD (Colossal)

Terror of the Unknown +2: The Will save DC verses Terror of the Unknown when a Formless Spawn is encountered is +2 (DC 14 for this example)

Improved Grab: Upon scoring a hit with a pseudopod attack, the Formless Spawn does normal damage and may attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. The contest starts with opposed grapple checks, so therefore, the Formless Spawn does not have to make the usual touch attack. These opposed checks may be grapple verses CMD (grapple score + Dex Mod + 10). If successful, the target is automatically penned. On the same or following round, the Formless Spawn may attempt to swallow its victim whole, requiring another successful grapple check.

Ingestion: Instead of attacking with its pseudopods, the Formless Spawn may attempt a bite attack, and if successful, the Formless Spawn swallows the victim whole and does no damage. This is automatic, and the victim is held inside the protoplasmic mass of the Formless Spawn, immobile and unable to take actions. Unfortunately, the victim is still aware of its surroundings.

Swallow Whole: The Formless Spawn may hold the swallowed victim without doing harm or to automatically do 1d4 points of damage each round. Once the victim reached -10 HP, it has been completely absorbed. Up to four medium-size creatures may be swallowed by the Formless Spawn or one large creature. Once the Formless Spawn has swallowed a victim, it cannot move, but first must disgorge its adversary of adversaries of fully digest it or them.

#4 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have read more H.P. Lovecraft than REH at this time, and I have read "The Phoenix on the Sword". Is that his first? I have a Del Rey book with REH's first submitted draft of that one. I read the finished product.

I was playing around with Lovecraft elements with 1st and 2nd edition D&D and decided that I would get Pathfinder. I have the CONAN 2nd Edition and several others of those Mongoose books.  I noticed that a lot of folks put stats online for others to use. If I am to do the work, I may as well share. I hope that people that do not have time or desire to do it for themselves will benefit.

Check out "The Tale of Satampra Zeiros" by Clark Ashton Smith in The Tsathoggua Cycle published by Chaosium to "see" the following creature in action.

The explicit Mythos mentions are in the first draft of TPotS. Howard changed those to "Nameless Old Ones". However, as "The Unausprechlichen Fragment" (aka "Black Eons", in the very questionable "completion" by RMP) and The Haunter of the Ring demonstrate, REH had no qualms tying his Conan yarns to the Mythos.

I'm quite familiar with The Tale of Satampra Zeiros. In fact, I consider it one of the very first S&S tales. I wrote about it here:

http://www.thecimmer...k-ashton-smith/

Lovecraft seems to have picked up on the (eventual) "formlessness" of (some of) the spawn of Tsathoggua. We also see such "spawn" referenced in The Mound. However, REH seems to have focused on the "obscenity" of Tsathoggua, as well as the resistance of his spawn to decapitation/dismemberment.

Tsotha-Lanti, in The Scarlet Citadel, was the son of a "demon" (by way of rape). In the finale of TSC, Tsotha is about to reveal his father's name when beheaded (but not killed) by Conan. Tsotha could be (along with Zogar Sag) the Tsathogguan equivalent of Wilbur Whateley.

I think The Testament of Athammaus was a big influence on REH in several ways.

More good stuff, BTW.   B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#5 Mordhass The Malevolent

Mordhass The Malevolent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

I was playing around with Lovecraft elements with 1st and 2nd edition D&D and decided that I would get Pathfinder. I have the CONAN 2nd Edition and several others of those Mongoose books.  I noticed that a lot of folks put stats online for others to use. If I am to do the work, I may as well share. I hope that people that do not have time or desire to do it for themselves will benefit.

Check out "The Tale of Satampra Zeiros" by Clark Ashton Smith in The Tsathoggua Cycle published by Chaosium to "see" the following creature in action.

The explicit Mythos mentions are in the first draft of TPotS. Howard changed those to "Nameless Old Ones". However, as "The Unausprechlichen Fragment" (aka "Black Eons", in the very questionable "completion" by RMP) and The Haunter of the Ring demonstrate, REH had no qualms tying his Conan yarns to the Mythos.

I'm quite familiar with The Tale of Satampra Zeiros. In fact, I consider it one of the very first S&S tales. I wrote about it here:

Lovecraft seems to have picked up on the (eventual) "formlessness" of (some of) the spawn of Tsathoggua. We also see such "spawn" referenced in The Mound. However, REH seems to have focused on the "obscenity" of Tsathoggua, as well as the resistance of his spawn to decapitation/dismemberment.

Tsotha-Lanti, in The Scarlet Citadel, was the son of a "demon" (by way of rape). In the finale of TSC, Tsotha is about to reveal his father's name when beheaded (but not killed) by Conan. Tsotha could be (along with Zogar Sag) the Tsathogguan equivalent of Wilbur Whateley.

I enjoyed your article at the Cimmerian site. I cannot comment or offer much, being not a scholar, but when I read a couple stories of Smith in The Book of Eibon, I felt that I had read what Dungeons & Dragons should feel like. I get the same feeling looking at some old pulp or paperback covers I have seen. I have not a thing against elves, but much better for me if they be sons and daughters of The Old Ones, not necessarily what would be called "Evil". And, all are related, being the children of Ubbo-sathla, right?

Not even an hour ago, I read "The Theft of the Thirty-Nine Girdles" and thought of "The Tower of the Elephant": That one by Howard was great. I enjoyed the MARVEL Comic version and the REH version. Do you like those comics? Here is the quote from Smith that made me think of it, for obvious reasons:

"I recall the escalade of pronged balconies; the climbing of terraces and towers guarded by monsters; the sacking of altars beneath the eyes of malign idols or sentinel serpents."

I love the movie "DAGON".

Deep One:  Child of Dagon

Medium-size monstrous humanoid

(Lesser-Servitor Race)

Climate/Terrain: Temperate and Warm Aquatic

Organization: Solitary or Colony

Hit Dice: 4d8+8

Initiative: +2

Senses: Listen +4 (+8 underwater), Spot +5 (+9 underwater), Low-light Vision

Languages: Their own language, perhaps, and some Tsath-yo, Senzar, and the language of R’lyeh

Dodge Defence: 13

Parry Defence: 17

Hit Points: 26

DR 4 (Natural)

Saves: Fort +6 Ref +3 Will +1

Speed: 20 ft., swim 40 ft.

Space: 5 ft.; Reach: 5 ft. (10 ft. with Hunting Spear)

Melee: 2 claws +8 (1d4+4, AP -), bite +3 (2d4+2, AP -) on land; or 2 claws +8 (1d4+4, AP -), 2 rakes +8* (2d4+4, AP 5), bite +3 (2d4+2, AP -) in water; or Hunting spear +8 (1d8+4, AP -) land or water

Base Atk +4 Grp +8 (CMD 20)

Magic Atk -

Sorcery -

Power Points:  - (max -)

Special Attacks: Improved Grab

Abilities: Str 19 (+4), Dex 15 (+2), Con 14 (+2), Int 11 (+0), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 6 (-2)

Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Aquasense, and Amphibious

Feats: Alertness & Fighting-Madness

Skills: Climb (4 skill points + Str Mod) +8, Hide (2 skill points + Dex Mod) +4 (+8 Underwater), Listen (2 skill points + Wis Mod +2 Feat) +4 (+8 Underwater), Move Silently (3 skill points + Dex Mod) +5, Spot (3 skill points + Wis Mod + 2 Feat) +5 (+9 Underwater)

Possessions: Hunting spear and some Deep Ones ware gold craftworks of their kind to tempt humans.

Advancement: 1-6 HD (Medium), 7-12 HD (large), 13-18 (Huge-Like Father Dagon and Mother Hydra), or by character classes which do not increase size like natural progression

*must be grappling in water

Olix r’ Va tl! Ia Dagon! Ia Hydra! Cthulhu Ftgn!

#6 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

I enjoyed your article at the Cimmerian site. I cannot comment or offer much, being not a scholar, but when I read a couple stories of Smith in The Book of Eibon, I felt that I had read what Dungeons & Dragons should feel like. I get the same feeling looking at some old pulp or paperback covers I have seen. I have not a thing against elves, but much better for me if they be sons and daughters of The Old Ones, not necessarily what would be called "Evil". And, all are related, being the children of Ubbo-sathla, right?

Not even an hour ago, I read "The Theft of the Thirty-Nine Girdles" and thought of "The Tower of the Elephant": That one by Howard was great. I enjoyed the MARVEL Comic version and the REH version. Do you like those comics?

Here is the quote from Smith that made me think of it, for obvious reasons:

"I recall the escalade of pronged balconies; the climbing of terraces and towers guarded by monsters; the sacking of altars beneath the eyes of malign idols or sentinel serpents."

I think Roy's comic adaptations are some of the best Conan pastiches ever. He read REH, HPL and Clark Ashton Smith, providing the full view of Conan's universe. Nowadays, one is lucky to find a Conan pasticheur who's read Robert E. Howard.   :rolleyes:

#7 Mordhass The Malevolent

Mordhass The Malevolent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

Not even an hour ago, I read "The Theft of the Thirty-Nine Girdles" and thought of "The Tower of the Elephant": That one by Howard was great. I enjoyed the MARVEL Comic version and the REH version. Do you like those comics? Here is the quote from Smith that made me think of it, for obvious reasons:

I think Roy's comic adaptations are some of the best Conan pastiches ever. He read REH, HPL and Clark Ashton Smith, providing the full view of Conan's universe. Nowadays, one is lucky to find a Conan pasticheur who's read Robert E. Howard.   :rolleyes:

You mean that people write CONAN stories without reading of the originals?

#8 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

Unfortunately, all the time. It's been going on, to one extent or another, since the '80s.

#9 Mordhass The Malevolent

Mordhass The Malevolent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Byakhee

Large-Size Outsider

(Lesser Servitor Race)

Climate/Terrain: The Void of Interstellar Space and Alien Worlds

Organization: Usually solitary or multiple during the Festival

Hit Dice: 6d8+6

Initiative: +2

Senses: Darkvision 60 ft.

Languages: None, not known anyway

Dodge Defence: 14

Parry Defence: 16

Hit Points: 33 (6 HD)

DR 5 (Natural Exoskeleton)

Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +7

Immunities: Cold, Zero Pressure, and Lack of Oxygen

Speed: 20 ft., fly 60 ft. (average) in terrene atmospheres, 500 ft. (perfect) in deep space vacuum

Space: 10ft.; Reach: 10 ft.

Melee: 2 claws +9 (1d4+4, AP 4), bite +4 (1d6+3, AP 5)

Base Atk +6   Grp +14 (CMD 23)

Magic Atk +2

Sorcery

Frost Magic-Fell of Frost, Icy Flames, and Chill Touch

Hypnotism-Entrance and Terrible Fascination

Power Points: 8 (max 24)

Special Attacks: Rend*

Abilities: Str 18 (+4), Dex 15 (+2), Con 12 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 8 (-1)

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., does not sleep, eat, drink, or breathe in any mundane way, Immune to Cold, resistance to fire 50, can survive in outer space

Feats: Flyby Attack, Great Fortitude, and Power Attack

Skills: Balance (5 skill points + Dex Mod) +7, climb (5 skill points + Str Mod) +9, Concentration (5 skill points + Con Mod) +6, Hide (3 skill points + Dex Mod) +5, Jump (9 skill points + Str Mod) +13, Knowledge(Arcana & That Which May Not Be Told)(9 skill points + Int Mod) +9, Listen (9 skill points + Wis Mod) +11, Move Silently (9 skill points + Dex Mod) +11, Search (9 skill points + Int Mod) +9, Spot (9 skill points + Wis Mod) +11

Possessions: Some may have armor or weapons, including alien technology

Advancement: By character class

*Rend: Upon hitting with both of its claw attacks, the Byakhee latched onto its victim and tears and pulls, automatically dealing 2d4+4 damage.

The Byakhee, also known as Star-steeds, are creatures from the deepest pits of black, cold space. They may in fact be summoned via the Summon Demon spell, but a special whistle must be blown and the rite performed when Aldebaran is above the horizon. There is no need of sulphur, and the XP Cost is 200. Think of it as a Summon Byakhee spell instead. The creature later emerges from the sky, covered in ice, and the sorcerer may use it as a mount for the duration of the spell, providing that the creature fails its save. The exact nature of the whistle needed may need to be wrung out of one of the servants of Tulzscha, if not a member of the secretive cult of the Outer God.

In some realms or spaces, foul war-mages may descend from their dark towers upon armored Byakhee, carrying powerful lances which create streams of eldritch, green fire. In Hyperborea, the children of Zarr still fear the Atlantians’ war machine, told of by their elders from their elders long passed. Tragically, Zarr’s worst enemy, Harlithonia, may have salvaged some technology from the remnants of Atlantis.

“There flapped rhythmically a horde of tame, trained, hybrid winged things…not altogether crows, nor moles, nor buzzards, not ants, nor decomposed human beings, but something I cannot and must not recall.”
H.P. Lovecraft, “The Festival.”

Edited by Mordhass The Malevolent, 19 March 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#10 Mordhass The Malevolent

Mordhass The Malevolent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I have adapted another monster from the Cthulhu d20 game to be used with the CONAN RPG 2nd Edition. Since it is a summoned entity, I have included the spell to summon it. If you use this and especially if it kills a character, please let me know. I'll enjoy it much! :D

Star Vampire, Blood-drinking terror from deep space

Large Aberration (outsider)

(Lesser Independent Race)

Climate/Terrain: Strange dimensions and the Black, cold gulfs of space

Organization: Solitary

Hit Dice: 4d8+12

Initiative: +3

Senses: For convenience, the Star Vampire has Darkvision 60 ft... However, since it doesn’t have eyes, it is difficult to say with any hope of accuracy.

Languages: it is a language unknown

Dodge Defence: 13

Parry Defence: -

Hit Points: 30 (4 HD)

DR 5

Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +6

Speed: 5 ft., fly 60 ft. (good; has hovering capability)

Space:  10 ft.; Reach: 15 ft.

Melee: 4 Teeth-filled tentacles +6 (1d6+4 + Blood Drain, AP 7), see the combat section for more information.

Base Atk +3   Grp +11 (CMD 22*, cannot be tripped)

Magic Atk -

Sorcery-

Power Points: - (max-)

Special Attacks: Blood Drain, Improved Grab

Abilities: Str 18 (+4), Dex 16 (+3), Con 17 (+3), Int 10 (+0), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 11 (+0)

Special Qualities: Immune to Critical Hits, Immune to Cold, Fire Resistance 50,  Improved Grab, +4 Racial Bonus to Move Silently Checks (Star Vampires float), Transparency

Feats: Cleave and Power Attack

Skills: Move silently (7skill points + Dex Mod+ Racial Bonus) +14, Perception** (7 skill points + Wis Mod) +9

Possessions: -

Advancement: 5-16 HD (Large); 17-33 HD (Huge)

Description: The Star Vampire is a nightmare from the dark abyss of space. It is summoned by a special summoning spell, not unlike the Summon Demon spell on page 269 of the CONAN RPG 2nd Edition Core Rulebook, save for a few alterations. The altered spell shall be given below. Having been summoned, the horror arrives, announcing its presence with a demonic tittering, but it is invisible. After attacking and draining blood, it begins to lose transparency, becoming visible, rich crimson veins coursing with the victim’s life-blood.  This is the first thing that becomes apparent. Next, the orb-shaped body about 8 ft. in diameter is revealed, covered all about with writhing tentacles, having snapping, toothy mouths at the end of each, screeching , tittering, and slinging drool and spittle. The creature hovers and moves in the air by no wings but by the gods only know what, and its flight is surprisingly quick.

Combat: The Star Vampire may attack each round with four of its many tentacles, targeting up to four individuals or one with all four attacks, or any combination. On a hit, the bite damage is dealt, and the Star Vampire may attempt to start a grapple as a free action, provoking no attack of opportunity (the opposed grapple rolls or grapple roll VS Grapple defense). If successful, the Star Vampire immediately does 1d4 Str and 1d4 Con damage to the target, as it has rapid begun to drain his or her blood. Each round thereafter, at the start of the Star Vampire’s turn, it does another 1d4 Str and 1d4 Con damage, unless the target had already broken free. Note that the Star Vampire only needs one tentacle to hold a victim and may attack with its remaining tentacles in any combination logically available to it. In addition, the Star Vampire may grapple and hold up to two victims, draining blood from each in the same manner discussed above, and attack to do bite damage with the remaining two tentacles. Upon draining blood, the Star Vampire becomes visible at the start of the next round and remains so for the entire time it feeds (must be grappling) and for one hour after it feeds.

*The CMD is optional, so that one may take advantage of that rule of the Pathfinder RPG. Note, however, instead of the size modifier in that game, which would be +1, the special size modifier used for Grapple checks in the CONAN RPG is used (+4 for large size).

**This skill replaces Listen, Search, and Spot because it is unknown how exactly the Star Vampire senses, having no discernible eyes, nose, or ears, and Dark Vision (see above) is merely a way to point out that darkness does not hinder its activities.

Summon Forth Tittering Horror from the Stars

Power Point Cost: 4

Components: V, S, M, XP

Casting Time: varies

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. per two levels)

Effect: The summoning of one Star Vampire having 4 HD

Duration: One hour/level

Saving Throw: See below

Prerequisites: Magic attack bonus +3 and Demonic Pact (Basic Summoning)

Magic Attack Roll: Sets the DC for the Star Vampire’s saving throw

First of all, sorcerer, the Tittering Horror from the Stars, also known as a Star Vampire, does not teach spells, or converse, nor does it give itself over to any complex tasks. It feeds. That is all. It is a non-terrestrial assassin. You may only cast this spell on a cloudless night, preferably chanted from the highest hilltop, aside a roaring bonfire. And then, only if you mean it and mean ill for another.

Take the dagger of your birth, bathed in the freshest Blood of the Moon, and present to and point to the heavens and chant the chant. Do this and care not more for the principal task than able but only that at hand and of immediate concern. Chant the chant, and know, for not long shall you wait after your sigh and the calming of your mortal coil ‘til it approaches (1d6 minutes). Now do all this as able or the price may be greater, in deed. Be confident that if you have followed the words, it shall come, but better you not see it. You shall hear its tittering and ‘tis sufficient.

Now, with authority, name a name loathsome to you, a bane to your heart, and command it destroy that man or woman so offensive. If your will be strong enough to bind it, no other words are necessary nor expedient to gain you more (Star Vampire gets a Will save, DC equals your magic attack roll). Whoever obstructs it too shall also be accursed. Know this and, declare the work is finished, and put it far from you attention.

Material Component: A highly valued dagger, consecrated to the rite and the Freshest Blood of the Moon.

Experience Point Cost: 200 XP

#11 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm making a list and checking it twice. <_<

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CONAN, Mythos, d20, CONAN RPG