105 replies to this topic

#41 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Brian Ching's work on his site shows he's capable of getting it right. 

That's what I find so annoying. Why is his art in Conan so much worse? Why should this be accepted? 

Yes, I know, if you don't like it don't buy it. Trust me, if I don't like it I won't buy it anymore. The thing is, I want to buy it and if they could just tell Mr Ching to bring the same quality to Conan that he does to Star Wars I would.

#42 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

The regular series has been suffering from bad art for almost 4 years and the only thing that saves the day is Truman/Giorello, though, as special as they are, I don`t feel excited with their work as I used to.
Bad days for a Conan fan like me.

No doubt the regular series has had issues on the art front for the past three years. But that's made me chomping (or is it champing?) at the bit to get my hands on Tim & Tomas's work in a few weeks. And seeing Brian Ching's work on his site shows he's capable of getting it right. It's been a very rough period for the main series, but in a couple of months, hopefully it'll be behind us.

Amen. I`m eager to buy the current series again, but that will only happen if it turns out to be outstanding and legit Conan. Just like the good old days of the first Dark Horse Conan comics.

Gotta have some great story AND art.

#43 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

Amen. I`m eager to buy the current series again, but that will only happen if it turns out to be outstanding and legit Conan. Just like the good old days of the first Dark Horse Conan comics.

Do all of you somehow consider "King Conan" to be a lesser series somehow? I confess that confuses me ...

#44 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Do all of you somehow consider "King Conan" to be a lesser series somehow? I confess that confuses me ...

The excellence of one does not negate or mitigate the mediocrity in the other.

#45 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Exactly.

#46 Devis

Devis

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I don't. I prefer it, but I suppose for some people, most of their favourite REH/Conan stories are the ones before he was king, and those are the ones they most want to see adapted.

#47 Devis

Devis

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Brian Ching's work on his site shows he's capable of getting it right. 

That's what I find so annoying. Why is his art in Conan so much worse? Why should this be accepted? 

Yes, I know, if you don't like it don't buy it. Trust me, if I don't like it I won't buy it anymore. The thing is, I want to buy it and if they could just tell Mr Ching to bring the same quality to Conan that he does to Star Wars I would.

I hope he is not trying to draw Conan that way to be consistent in the art with the previous series. It was that series that initially broke consistency with the rest of the main title series in how Conan was depicted.

#48 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

But when you are talking about the "good old days of the first Dark Horse comics," surely it has to be considered. Dark Horse is putting out some of THE best Conan comics they have ever made. Putting them out RIGHT NOW.  

To me, that is far more important than the mediocrity of "Queen of the Black Coast." "Hour of the Dragon" is the main course. QOTBC was just a disappointing appetizer that you don't finish and soon forget. 

#49 Wolfshead

Wolfshead

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

I don't. I prefer it, but I suppose for some people, most of their favourite REH/Conan stories are the ones before he was king, and those are the ones they most want to see adapted.

Conan is Conan. When done well, every part of his life is worth exploring. By your reasoning, those who prefer his early days as a thief will now have no reason to continue with the series.

#50 Tarib

Tarib

Drinking to Shades

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Well, to be honest. On that one blurry page Conan looks exactly like on the raw sketch everyone seemed to enjoy so much.

conan_sketch_001_by_bching-d6iacba.jpg

It's too bad that it really seems to be what we might get with Conan the Avenger. Brian Ching is able to do a lot better but maybe he was given some sort of special direction for this one.

CONAN.CH - Conan the Digital

Everything about Conan in Computer and Video Games

#51 Wolfshead

Wolfshead

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:30 AM

Well, to be honest. On that one blurry page Conan looks exactly like on the raw sketch everyone seemed to enjoy so much.

conan_sketch_001_by_bching-d6iacba.jpg

It's too bad that it really seems to be what we might get with Conan the Avenger. Brian Ching is able to do a lot better but maybe he was given some sort of special direction for this one.

You really think Dark Horse wants to continue with the emaciated Goth look? I was under the impression that most of the artists on QotBC, and therefore the undernourished look, were picked by Wood

#52 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:32 AM

I thought I remembered Wood saying in an interview that the younger, thinner Conan was a command from Paragon.  Dark Horse may have no control over that.

Don't know for sure though ...

#53 Tarib

Tarib

Drinking to Shades

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

Who knows? Maybe this is all a mid to long term plan to alter the looks of Conan in the mind of mainstream folks to make it easier to find actors who could portray him in any possible future movie. ;D

CONAN.CH - Conan the Digital

Everything about Conan in Computer and Video Games

#54 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

FYI, there's a PDF preview of CTA #1 at  http://www.previewsw...temID=FEB140084

Seeing a few pages in sequence makes me feel better about Fred Van Lente's & Brian Ching's CTA.  Some dark humor, solid action, and moody atmosphere, especially thanks to colorist Michael Atiyeh (but there are other colors than blue.  Please, more variety!).

10153747_734731709894034_1117022118_n.jp

1966781_734732226560649_585621092_n.jpg

scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#55 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

I`m not digging it very much.

Why is Conan calf thicker than his thigh? I see some misteps in proportion.

Dark Horse is serious about the intention of keeping the art style of "Queen of the Black Coast", which may not be a good thing.

I will give it a try, but the preview itself did not convince me, at least art wise.

#56 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Like the writing, going to have to get used to the art.  Conan needs to get bulked up again.  Also not a big fan of the "gritty" coloring, and Scott's right: Can we get a little red in there, please!  But the attitude is right, that goes a long way with me.

#57 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

Like the writing, going to have to get used to the art.  Conan needs to get bulked up again.  Also not a big fan of the "gritty" coloring, and Scott's right: Can we get a little red in there, please!  But the attitude is right, that goes a long way with me.

Same here. I'll buy this series because at least the writing should be better, and if I can get used to the art I'll keep buying it, but that is a very big if.

#58 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

I talked to Fred Van Lente this weekend, and he told me that unfortunately Dark Horse is continuing the 3-issue artist rotation with Conan the Avenger.  Not his decision, and he wasn't thrilled about it, but there it is ...

#59 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

I talked to Fred Van Lente this weekend, and he told me that unfortunately Dark Horse is continuing the 3-issue artist rotation with Conan the Avenger.  Not his decision, and he wasn't thrilled about it, but there it is ...

Nice. I`ll probably skip this one too.

#60 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

Yeah, that art's gonna take some getting used to, but the story seems pretty good thus far.  I'm not too thrilled about the 3-issue story arc, but at least we'll see some different artists coming on board.

- The illegitimate son of Crom