9 replies to this topic

#1 Styrm

Styrm

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:19 PM

Some friends and me have been playing roleplaying games for a while now and we have taken turns in who`s to have the role of Game Master/Dungeon Master and now it has come to me. We have been using Dungeons and Dragons for a while now, but we`r trying a new game called Eon, wich is a more realistic game than D&D.

And with this I wanted to use the one fantasy world I know and like the most, the Hyborian world. Thanks to Crysagon (hope I spelled that right) I`ve got the best map a Game Master could hope for and all the players were impressed over the world (they are not regular Conan readers). My inspiration comes from all my Conan magazines I have bought and read over the last years and they will never run out of quests this way. But I don`t have time to read through all my magazines to figure out all the rulers, cities and little things in this wonderful world. I plan to send my players into the world when Conan is the King of Aquilonia.

So if you know any good sites, or maby a thread in here I haven`t read yet, where I can find some more information about this world would I appreaciate it greatly. Any tips from other Game Masters that have used this world before would be of great help too.

#2 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

You may want to think about picking up, The Road of Kings, from Mongoose Publishing.
It is the world book for their Conan RPG. It includes maps of various nations, an overveiw of the cultures and good detail on the landscape.
In addition, the material used in the book comes from the orginal stories, several of the pastiches and other sources.
You can get more information at;

http://www.mongoosep...=388&qsSeries=7
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#3 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for your comments on my map Styrm :) I am glad to hear that players will use it, since it is why I made it.
I have not read yet the Road of Kings but it is said to be very well made. I suggest you read Hour of the Dragon also known as Conan the Conqueror if you had not yet, it will give you a lot of details on that period.
Hope it helps,
Chrysagon
Posted Image
Les Chroniques N?m?diennes
The Ultimate French Site about Conan and Robert Howard

#4 massive cod piece

massive cod piece

Warrior

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:29 PM

I too have used and enjoyed your map chrysagon, thanks for taking the time, I know alot of us appreciated it :)
The Lion strode through the halls of hell;
Across his path grim shadows fell
Of many a moving nameless shape-
Monsters with dripping jaws agape.
The darkness shuddered with scream and yell
when the Lion stalked through the Halls of Hell.

#5 Artillery

Artillery

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

Is Eon a Swiss game? Why is it "more realistic"? It has to be better than D&D3 (it is hard to be as bad as that game), but why do you prefer it?

#6 Styrm

Styrm

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:45 AM

Firstly, thanks for the advice about the books, I`ll order them and start reading :)

And second, Eon is a swedish game, and more realistic than D&D (3rd edition atleast) in the way that you can die of one hit or one arrow, as you could in real life. In D&D you just shrug the damage off, run around with 20 arrows in you and gulp down a healing potion. Eon uses (not sure if I use the right words) something called bleeding rate and other nifty stuff to make it as real as possible. I prefer it just because of that, I`m tired of running around never beeing afraid of dying. D&D is a hack&slash game, just like Diablo ;)

#7 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:21 PM

Chrysagon said :

Please do not use for commercial use.

My maps are free for personal use only :) . For commercial use, please contact me. It seems it was not clear.
Chrysagon
Posted Image

#8 Styrm

Styrm

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:16 PM

I hope you didn`t think I were going to use it for commercial use? It`s merely to use with some friends of mine to show them the hyborian age :)

#9 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:17 PM

No problem, that is what I call personnal use. Commercial use is to publish it in a printed magazine, or in a commercial website, any stuff that can make money.
Chrysagon
Posted Image

#10 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,255 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

Some friends and me have been playing roleplaying games for a while now and we have taken turns in who`s to have the role of Game Master/Dungeon Master and now it has come to me. We have been using Dungeons and Dragons for a while now, but we`r trying a new game called Eon, wich is a more realistic game than D&D.

And with this I wanted to use the one fantasy world I know and like the most, the Hyborian world. Thanks to Crysagon (hope I spelled that right) I`ve got the best map a Game Master could hope for and all the players were impressed over the world (they are not regular Conan readers). My inspiration comes from all my Conan magazines I have bought and read over the last years and they will never run out of quests this way. But I don`t have time to read through all my magazines to figure out all the rulers, cities and little things in this wonderful world. I plan to send my players into the world when Conan is the King of Aquilonia.

So if you know any good sites, or maybe a thread in here I haven`t read yet, where I can find some more information about this world would I appreaciate it greatly. Any tips from other Game Masters that have used this world before would be of great help too.

Until Al Harron's Encyclopaedia Hyboriana/Hyborica comes out, I can't think of a better resource for ACCURATE data on Robert E. Howard's Conan yarns than Amra's thread here on the Forum:

http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=8618

B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.