Photo

"Pigeons From Hell" TV Episode (Thriller)

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Spencer

Matt Spencer

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:54 AM

I've heard things here and there about the -- reportedly amazingly good -- episode of the anthology series "Thriller" adapting "Pigeons From Hell." Does anyone know if it's on tape anywhere? Any word if the series will be released on disc? With rising renewed popular interest in Howard, whoever owns the rights could only profit by releasing it. And unless I miss my guess, it's really the ONLY *direct adaptation* of a Howard story ever done.

Anyone seen this? Reviews?
"I have lived in the Southwest all my life, yet most of my dreams are laid in cold, giant lands of icy wastes and gloomy skies, and of wild, wind-swept fens and wilderness over which sweep great sea-winds, and which are inhabited by shock-headed savages with light fierce eyes. With the exception of one dream, I am never, in these dreams of ancient times, a civilized man. Always am I the barbarian, the skin-clad, tousle-haired, light-eyed wild man, armed with a rude ax or sword, fighting the elements and wild beasts, or grappling with armored hosts marching with the tread of civilized discipline, from fallow fruitful lands and walled cities."
-- Robert E. Howard

<http://www.mattspencer.net>

#2 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:17 PM

I've been told copies pop up on e-bay .

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#3 red nails

red nails

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:49 PM

I saw this as a child in black and white, very creepy, and reading the book years later, i thought it stood up well.

#4 RichardS

RichardS

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:51 PM

There's a copy on e-bay at the mo for $9.99, you can find it at.

E-bay

#5 krbrunstad

krbrunstad

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

My collection is about to rech new heights :D

I stumbled across this on IMDB: IMDB
It seems like one episode of the sixties TV-show "Thriller" was an adaption of Howards Pigeons from hell. I wonder if anyone of you have seen this and could tell me if the episode does the origanal story justice?

I found the complete set for sale at scaryguyvideo.com for hundred bucks. Anyway I'm just interested in the Pigeons from hell episode (season 1, episode 36). Could this be bought seperately?

Thanks

Ken-R

#6 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

I think some of the guys here saw it at Howard Days a few years back and liked it.

#7 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

I just mentioned this one on some other topic a couple weeks ago , I found a copy on V.H.S. on ebay last week , haven't got it in the mail yet . For what it's worth - it's the 3rd tape in the series that has "Pigeons" on it . Can't remember the sellers name offhand at the minute - but if you go on ebay try doing a search for - movies/tapes thriller , Karloff .

- scratch that , just went out & got the mail - the tape I got isn't an 'official' copy of the program or anything - it's a home-made deal - but has a decent printed label - all it says is Thriller Pigeons from Hell . I guess it was the 3rd tape in 'that' guys series ? - After I watch it later I'll critique the quality & let y'ens know .

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 10 April 2006 - 07:34 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#8 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:28 PM

Okay , I read pigeons a few days ago , watched the thriller episode , & lather-rinse-repeat - watched the thriller again today & read another paperback edition of pigeons . Without giving away any plot points or spoiling anything - I think they did a pretty darn good job of adapting Pigeons for the small-screen , especially considering that it was done way back in 1961 - & considering the really strong racial overtones essential to Howards story , not to mention the over-the-top violence . Their were a couple small things changed like one or two names & one or two characters origins - but after watching it a second time you kind of appreciate they 'had' to slightly tweak the story to fit into an hour-long television program . They didn't change or ruin the story though - even keeping almost all the characters names & dialog . One difference that I noticed & really surprised the heck out of me was the inclusion of some inter-racial controversial (for those years) - family relations that put a 'slight' twist on the supernatural elements . What I really liked about Howards story & the Thriller adaptation -is that it is 'not' a ghost story - yet still creeps you out better than the best of 'em . I.M.O. - it's well worth hunting down a copy if you're a big Howard nut , or a big horror-story nut (I'm both) - keep in mind it was done in 1961 & is pretty tame to stuff you see in movies or t.v. today - but it has that classic old black & white scare-the-heck-outta-ya feel that not a lot of old shows still have when watched today . A good afternoon viewing of say , Skeleton Key - then that Thriller episode & then reading Pigeons should have you in goosebumps by nightfall .

" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "

#9 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:05 AM

The staircase was weird... not what I imagined in my mind of a central hall with a staircase going straight up from the front door. A larger, stranger house.

#10 gt3.0

gt3.0

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:06 PM

Hey Guys this might be the wrong forum but i couldn't find a general Howard movie thread. Anyway here goes "Pigions from Hell" great story I'v only read it once over 30 year's ago it was late I was about 13 it scared me and i couldn't put the book down till i finnished. Then a few year's later coming home from the pub after a few pints i put the TV on and there was a very old Black and White Horror movie it was one of those movies that was made up of about 4 different short storys linked together by a narrator maybe Vincent Price or Boris Karloff and one of the storys was "Pigions from Hell". Well thirty year's later with a renewed interest in Howard I thought i would find some info on this movie what i found was an episode from a TV show from 1961. (See link) I suppose this could be what i had seen but I had imagined the movie to be a lot older but then it's been 30 year's. So does anybody have any info on wether it was the TV show that I may have seen or if there was an older Movie.

http://www.imdb.com/...723089/combined

Edited by gt3.0, 19 August 2006 - 09:08 PM.

#11 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hey Guys this might be the wrong forum but i couldn't find a general Howard movie thread. Anyway here goes "Pigions from Hell" great story I'v only read it once over 30 year's ago it was late I was about 13 it scared me and i couldn't put the book down till i finnished. Then a few year's later coming home from the pub after a few pints i put the TV on and there was a very old Black and White Horror movie it was one of those movies that was made up of about 4 different short storys linked together by a narrator maybe Vincent Price or Boris Karloff and one of the storys was "Pigions from Hell". Well thirty year's later with a renewed interest in Howard I thought i would find some info on this movie what i found was an episode from a TV show from 1961. (See link) I suppose this could be what i had seen but I had imagined the movie to be a lot older but then it's been 30 year's. So does anybody have any info on wether it was the TV show that I may have seen or if there was an older Movie.

http://www.imdb.com/...723089/combined

That's the one from the Thriller TV Series and it was Karloff.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

#12 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:43 PM

And here's the REH page at the IMDB

http://imdb.com/name/nm0397574/

Terry

#13 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:01 AM

Yeah , from the Thriller series , pretty faithful to the book too - for that time & in a short T.V. episode format . I bought a decent copy on video tape a few months back on ebay . Since you saw it so long ago ( & after a few pints) - you might have been confusing it with one of Karloffs other movies - he did do a couple anthology-style movies way back then ('50's & 60's) - the first to come to mind was Black Sabbath - ( where Ozzy & the boys got the name for their first album ) - he had at least a couple others that I can't recall immediately . If you dig through some of the older links in the R.E.H. topic list there was a pretty long thread from probably 6 months or so ago that's all about that episode.

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 21 August 2006 - 07:03 AM.

#14 gt3.0

gt3.0

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the info guys, yeah it must have been the TV show. From what i remember it was pretty good even after few pints.

#15 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

I didn't know this existed:

Karloff!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0723089/
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#16 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:43 AM

I didn't know this existed:

Karloff!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0723089/

Oh yeah !! There were a couple of us talking about it on these forums last year in ummm , what topic was it ??!! OH YEAH , - THIS ONE !! DOH !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#17 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:45 AM

Is it (dare I ask) any good, PB?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#18 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:14 AM

Yeah , it actually does hold up pretty well after all the years . I always forget that the default setting for the forums is to show like only the last 10 or so posts , I always set mine to show the last 25 . Rather than me type out another boring review just go back to the first dozen or so posts back on this topic . if you don't have the little seperate page buttons showing up on your browser window bottom , when you click on the button to make a post there'll be another button at the bottom of that page which will open a new window that shows the topic thread from the beginning/first post .

------> Or click here <-------
-----> Or try this link ?<------ -one or the other should work if I linked to them correctly

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 29 January 2008 - 02:20 AM.

#19 daknight

daknight

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

Karloff also did a series called The Veil? Or Behind the Veil I think? Is that seperate, or a repackaged re-named version of Thriller?
Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and origin of marvels. -- Goya

#20 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

The Veil is a separate series that was never actually broadcast. I've got it on dvd. Karloff himself plays a different character in every episode.

I've seen the Thriller PFH episode and its pretty good. Its out there on P2P if people want to search around.
Visit my blog: Necronomania