• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

#321 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

I decided to join as it seems the Conan board has matured and has some decent discussions. Current members of REHupa can always request an e-copy of a previous zine from me. I was reviewing the work I did on that last year and as all will see from the attachments that the H1 (Howard 1st map) overlaid on the Compton's political map of Europe is an exact match.

Scotty! It's an honor to have you onboard. B) There ARE good discussions to be had here as Jeff, Miguel and Al have found. REH-wise, some of the best on the Net, IMO.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#322 ACmH

ACmH

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Sorry about the images... I'll delete them if I've put too many on here.

Here is my globe with Hyborian Age borders drawn on, and photographed to reflect the perspective of Howard's map.
Posted Image

And here is a different look at the same globe. This is where I think this study is important.
Posted Image

This drastically changes my view of Howard's maps. When I looked at them before, I saw "up" stricltly as north.
In the last picture, it can clearly be seen that the Vilayet, Turan, etc. really veer off to the east.

In my opinion, I think that this is quite an interesting revelation.
For instance, look at how far west Vanaheim stretches (containing Iceland!) toward Greenland, or how far south Cimmeria dips.

Having only seen other fan maps that interprate "up as north", this was an interesting outcome.

And really, being able to look at a globe from any angle I want is far more rewarding than any map I could make.

PS - this means that the Vilayet stretches to where the West Siberian Glacial Lake(s) once existed.

First of all, Im new here, so my respects to everyone.

Second, looking at the picture of reconstructed Hyborean globe got me thinking that maybe the Vilayet sea may have deviated a bit east (to cover the Caspian Depression ant then including Aral, which would be another "piece" of the Vylayet) and then stretching to the ancient siberian lakes (the part that disappears). the part of the Ural mountains that are included in the sea could be the Iron Island, and that may require (maybe) the coast to deviate north along the mountain chain, or even flooding the plains around it making islands of them. It's just an idea. But how would it look like on a map then?
Conan Stole my homework

#323 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

Free Companion Mercenary Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:14 PM

First of all, Im new here, so my respects to everyone.

Second, looking at the picture of reconstructed Hyborean globe got me thinking that maybe the Vilayet sea may have deviated a bit east (to cover the Caspian Depression ant then including Aral, which would be another "piece" of the Vylayet) and then stretching to the ancient siberian lakes (the part that disappears). the part of the Ural mountains that are included in the sea could be the Iron Island, and that may require (maybe) the coast to deviate north along the mountain chain, or even flooding the plains around it making islands of them. It's just an idea. But how would it look like on a map then?

Welcome ACmH,
HalfDane and many others have tried to see what projection of map Robert E. Howard may have been using when he drew his Hyborian maps for the Conan stories.
You are referring to HalfDane's post trying to overlay the map on a globe projection.
In post #327in this thread Scotty Henderson definitively shows that Howard's finished 1932 map overlaid on the Compton's political map of Europe is an exact match from Compton's Pictured Encyclopedia (1922). It is also a book Howard was known to have in his library at home when writing the stories. It is a conical projection depicted flat over a two page spread in the book. In that map overlay it shows that the Vilayet Sea would not encompass the Aral Sea and would have a more north/south bearing as opposed to HalfDane's northeast/southwest bearing from trying to put a flat map over a globe. Although it does have a slight northeast/southwest bearing on Howard's map.
There are several people's interpretations of Hyborian maps on this thread as well. There are also a ton of cool subjects and conversations here to discover. Welcome and enjoy!

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 01 September 2011 - 10:11 PM.

If life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. Queen of the Black Coast 1934 Robert E. Howard

Amra's The Chronicles of Conan The Cimmerian: Determining the chronological order of Howard's Conan Tales

#324 ACmH

ACmH

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

Thanks.
Conan Stole my homework

#325 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

A lovely blog called "Two Fisted Blogger" recently posted this map, which is apparently one made by Howard, but I didn't find it in the Del Reys. It might be in the REH scrapbook, but I don't have it to hand currently, so I can't check. Can anyone shed any light on it? Is this the fabled H3 map?

Posted Image

Edited by Taranaich, 01 October 2011 - 12:15 AM.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#326 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:55 AM

Al, it's Hyborian Age map B (circa 1932) as shown on page 17 of The Collected Drawings of Robert E. Howard.

The giveaway is both the smudge on Cimmeria, and the lines in Zamora.

Tex
(who used to draw that map from memory in his youth)

#327 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Ah, many thanks, Tex!

#328 Trent

Trent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hello everyone!

I’m Trent Thompson, a senior comic major at the School of Visual Arts (SVA) and I wanted to share a map I’ve been working on for sometime now. For almost a month now, I have been working with the great Amra_the_Lion to create a beautiful and true as possible (be gentle) map of the Hyborian Age.

There have been a multitude of maps on the Hyborian Age, a bit of them on this thread. However, for me, there are some snags that keep coming up. Whether it be that they are too silly looking or taking information from the pastiches. I wanted a serious looking hand-crafted map. Everything on this map has been drawn by hand with no computer fonts or anything like that.

I hope everyone enjoys it. A huge thanks to Amra_the_Lion for all the support and help through the making of this. Also, this posted on Amra’s Chronicles Of Conan thread, which if you haven’t checked it out yet shame on you.

This map is for personal use only. Optimized for easy download and viewing. If you have any questions or comments let me know. Enjoy.

T

Posted Image

#329 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Great looking map, Trent! Welcome to the boards. :)
Jeff
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#330 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hello everyone!

I’m Trent Thompson, a senior comic major at the School of Visual Arts (SVA) and I wanted to share a map I’ve been working on for sometime now. For almost a month now, I have been working with the great Amra_the_Lion to create a beautiful and true as possible (be gentle) map of the Hyborian Age.

There have been a multitude of maps on the Hyborian Age, a bit of them on this thread. However, for me, there are some snags that keep coming up. Whether it be that they are too silly looking or taking information from the pastiches. I wanted a serious looking hand-crafted map. Everything on this map has been drawn by hand with no computer fonts or anything like that.

I hope everyone enjoys it. A huge thanks to Amra_the_Lion for all the support and help through the making of this. Also, this posted on Amra’s Chronicles Of Conan thread, which if you haven’t checked it out yet shame on you.

This map is for personal use only. Optimized for easy download and viewing. If you have any questions or comments let me know. Enjoy.

T

Posted Image

I'll one-up Theagenes. Wow. VERY good-looking map, Trent. I've got a few quibbles (did you think I wouldn't? :P), but overall, that is quite possibly the best-rendered AND most accurate map of the Eastern Hemisphere of Hyborian Age Earth that I've seen.

I really dig the compass rose/portalan touches. That puts it over the top for me. This could've been a chart in Belit's cabin, IMO. B)

CPI should have you do the next "official" map.

I'll save my bitching for later. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#331 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

I fully agree! B)

Edited by Amra_the_Lion, 28 January 2012 - 08:52 PM.

If life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. Queen of the Black Coast 1934 Robert E. Howard

Amra's The Chronicles of Conan The Cimmerian: Determining the chronological order of Howard's Conan Tales

#332 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

VERY nice map, Trent. Well done and thanks for sharing! B)
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#333 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

'Tis a thing of beauty, Trent.

#334 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,929 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

I love this map! It doesn't look plastic, or fannish, or anything like that; it looks REAL! Hand-calliged lettering on parchment, right?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#335 Trent

Trent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Great looking map, Trent! Welcome to the boards. :)
Jeff

Thanks for such a warm welcome Jeff.

I'll one-up Theagenes. Wow. VERY good-looking map, Trent. I've got a few quibbles (did you think I wouldn't? :P), but overall, that is quite possibly the best-rendered AND most accurate map of the Eastern Hemisphere of Hyborian Age Earth that I've seen.

I really dig the compass rose/portalan touches. That puts it over the top for me. This could've been a chart in Belit's cabin, IMO. B)

Wow. Thanks Deuce! It really does mean a lot coming from a REH scholar, such as yourself. I’m stoked that you dig the portolan chart look of the map. It really makes sense and is a nice touch. Your complement on it validates all the time spent researching those charts. :P

I would be more than honored to do something for CPI.

VERY nice map, Trent. Well done and thanks for sharing! B)

Thanks Axerules. I really glad you enjoy it!

'Tis a thing of beauty, Trent.

Thank you for such the kind words Taranaich. As I hit upon earlier, I’m just blown away by the complements by REH scholars like yourself. It’s really humbling. This map was made with the REH community in mind. But also, for everyone to be entertained and hopefully educate others, as well. It would be a treat for me to have Mr. Rippke look at it.

I really cannot wait for your epic Hyborian tome to come out.

I love this map! It doesn't look plastic, or fannish, or anything like that; it looks REAL! Hand-calliged lettering on parchment, right?

Thanks Ironhand for the wonderful complement. It’s all created from computer, but it was done all by hand. No paper was harmed during the making of this map. It took a long while for me to figure out how to accomplish how to make it feel like everything was done on paper.

All of the words are drawn by hand. For the last year, I’ve been pretty hardcore on practicing my hand-lettering/calligraphy and it’s now I feel it’s really starting to pay off. Visually, the goal was to make the best looking ancient map possible in the Hyborian Age and doing by hand was the only way to do that.

This all couldn’t have been as amazing if it wasn’t for Amra_the_Lion. Thanks Jeff.

Also, I’ve updated the map on here for all of you. It’s a little bit higher in file size.

Thank you for all the love on the map. It really makes all the time and effort worth every bit of it. I cannot wait to tell you what I have in store for the Conan community in the future.

T

Edited by Trent, 29 January 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#336 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

[

Wow. Thanks Deuce! It really does mean a lot coming from a REH scholar, such as yourself. I’m stoked that you dig the portolan chart look of the map. It really makes sense and is a nice touch. Your complement on it validates all the time spent researching those charts. :P

I would be more than honored to do something for CPI.

I do think it needs work on the eastern half, but that's always toughest (along with the extreme southern end of the Stygian continent). However, what CAN be validated directly from REH's maps is great, as is the overall look/approach.

You've got CPI's Mongoose/"Official" version beat by a Cimmerian league.

#337 Trent

Trent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

I do think it needs work on the eastern half, but that's always toughest (along with the extreme southern end of the Stygian continent). However, what CAN be validated directly from REH's maps is great, as is the overall look/approach.

Message me on anything you have. I want this map to be the best map of the Hyborian Age out there.

Again, Deuce thank you for all the kind words. Hopefully, this will show that sticking directly to the source-work is extremely engaging for anyone.

T

#338 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

Trent I noticed Aphaka should be in The Lands of Shem slightly to the east instead of Stygia. Bummed a little after having printed the high resolution to now notice a mistake. Sorry I didn't catch it in the proof read.

#339 Trent

Trent

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:20 AM

Fixed and updated.

#340 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Message me on anything you have. I want this map to be the best map of the Hyborian Age out there.

Again, Deuce thank you for all the kind words.
T

You deserve the kudos, Trent.

I'll message you soon.