422 replies to this topic

#1 Blade!

Blade!

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 06:14 AM

Anyone have some good maps? Political, geopraphic, etc.

I think it would be interesting to see if a new Paradox "Official" map comes out.
Oh, a sheep and a goat... that could be dangerous... it could produce a strange hybrid with strength of a goat and the cunning of a sheep!

The funnest place on earth...Visit EUtopia!

ONLY Blade! has the solution to a unified world, unless you can think of one too! Afterall, he is Conan's Heir! Buy him stuff! ;)

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now." ~ From the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

#2 Isaacson

Isaacson

Warrior

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 01:28 PM

Hi .

I don't know if the ones represented there will meet your requirements , or if you're already aware of this , but St?le Gismervik has a good selection of the Hyborian Age maps ect , over at his Conan site ( within the Gallery ) ... conan.no .

Cheers , Danny .

#3 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:08 AM

Anyone have some good maps?  Political, geopraphic, etc.

I think it would be interesting to see if a new Paradox "Official" map comes out.

Blade, as Isaacson suggested, go to Conan.no. There's a bevy of good info there, included a couple of pretty good maps.

#4 EricKRod@aol.com

EricKRod@aol.com

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 04:18 AM

I actually made up a map of part of the Hyborian world, in anticipation of the upcoming D20 game. I used pro-fantasy campaign cartographer. If anyone is interested, just email me and I will send them a copy. Eric

#5 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 05:25 PM

Is there somewhere a good map of the Hyborian Age ? With mountains, rivers, etc...
Posted Image
Les Chroniques N?m?diennes
The Ultimate French Site about Conan and Robert Howard

#6 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 07:32 PM

There are a couple of apparently original maps at the back of the Coming of Conan book. Of course, we've all seen the one at the front of the old Lander/Ace paperbacks. Then there's this site:
Maps of the Hyborian Age

I understand that an official definitive map is going to be published soon, as soon as the suveying team returns from Hyperborea. :D

On that subject, I was staring at the map in my old Ace edition, when I realized that I could build an N-gauge layout of the Thurian continent. A old rail buff, I know that an 8'x8' plywood square equals a square mile in N scale, so there would need to be some (OK a lot) of compression involved. Now, where to put it? :rolleyes:

Then I realized that wishes were indeed fishes, and that if I had a square mile of land and millions to terraform it, I could build a Hyborian Age Disneyland... :unsure:

Anyway, stray thought.
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#7 theGrayMan

theGrayMan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 08:58 PM

I understand that an official definitive map is going to be published soon, as soon as the surveying team returns from Hyperborea.

Uh... that's as soon as the Survivors of the surveying team return from...

#8 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:35 AM

Then I realized that wishes were indeed fishes, and that if I had a square mile of land and millions to terraform it, I could build a Hyborian Age Disneyland...  :unsure:

How to make a profit from Hyborialand: Charge high for the tickets; survivors get their money back, plus a prize or bonus. ;)
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#9 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 12:55 PM

Thanks all. I asked because I am an illustrator for french RPG magazines and a Conan fan for many years, and would like to create my version of Hyborian Kingdoms. Here are a few of my works :
http://www.hexagonal...mg/ahnkilie.jpg
http://www.hexagonal.../mithril_v2.jpg
Thanks again.
Posted Image

#10 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:03 PM

Nice work! :D
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#11 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:19 PM

Chrysagon:

Please do!

My $0.02: No doubt many of the features on the maps, especially cities, were added later by pasticheurs.

Also, many maps seem geographically implausible, as if somebody decided that the plot demanded some mountains, and said "let's put a mountain right here."

For what its worth...
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-

#12 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 01:40 AM

Chrysagon, your maps are impressive!
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#13 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 09:21 AM

Thank you all for your comments :)
As a good basis for work, does everyone consider the maps provided at : http://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/ to be acurate (thanks to Orkin for providing the link) ?
By the way, I also work on CG and 3D, I created a VR version of the Witch's Hut inspired from the "Barbarian" movie. You can visit it at : http://chrysagon.fre...hut/contact.htm
(There is a small plug-in to install, but the stuff is absolutely free) it is just for fun.
Chrysagon
Posted Image

#14 samurai_jack31

samurai_jack31

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:30 PM

Awesome job, chrysagon. Your maps are wonderful! Would you mind if I used them as the basis for a D&D campaing I'm working on? I've got a mapmaker program, but it just doesn't look right no matter what I try to do with it...

#15 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:47 PM

Chrysagon,

I might warn you that the CPI is already working on a definitive Hyborian Age/Thurian continent map. ;)

That said, you might start by looking at a real map of modern Europe, what shape the mountain ranges take, and how the rivers form around them, how forests flourish in some areas, where others are grassland, how cities appear in logical places (confluence of rivers, natural harbors etc.). :unsure:

Then go to the source, the REH maps at the back of CCC, and go through the original stories trying to make your own choices about where features are located. :rolleyes:

Have you ever used Bryce, a software program by Corel? It may help in modeling realistic features.
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-

#16 Bri

Bri

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 09:58 PM

Is there somewhere a good map of the Hyborian Age ? With mountains, rivers, etc...

I have scanned in Tim Conrad's map from SAVAGE SWORD #9, but haven't quite finished tidying up the page break in the middle. I can e-mail it, let me know (it's 1.1 MB in size in order to preserve legibility).

-Bri

#17 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:31 PM

Thanks to all again for your answers !

Yes Samurai you can use these maps for your personnal use, in fact they are made for that! you can also have acess to other maps and scenarios at : http://www.hexagonal...b_downloads.php (sorry it is in french!)

Yes Orkin, I work with Bryce for many years now, as I illustrate french RPG magazines on a profesionnal basis since 1998. I am also a CGI teacher in Aquilo...err.. France. I teach my students 3ds Max and Photoshop (at least I try!).

Thanks Bri ! I would love to see it, please send it at chrysagon@free.fr (I have no fear giving my addy here, we are all cimmerians, aren't we? )

Doing such a map is an old desire for me, but I am an illustrator, not a geography researcher. So I just need a good standard map as a base, maybe some advice from people with knowledge of hyborian geography questions. I intend to propose it as a free stuff for every Hyborian amateur, but if a company is interested in my skills I could also provide a printable version.

Chrysagon
Posted Image

#18 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 06:53 PM

(I have no fear giving my addy here, we are all cimmerians, aren't we? )
Chrysagon

You never know who's lurking. :ph34r:

#19 mixmaster

mixmaster

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:14 AM

beautiful maps chrysagon!

if you guys need space to upload images feel free to use my pic site for free. I dont have a limit to how big you can upload.

this is the direct link: http://www.templarwo...mine2/index.php

or just visit the main site from the WWW button below.

#20 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:20 AM

Hi all and thanks again for your feedback and comments !
I will start the map as soon as job gives me a little time !
None of you seems to have visited the 3D scene online at :
http://chrysagon.fre...hut/contact.htm
It is a full 3D area inwhich you can move as a character (like in a video game) and it is also a chat room. That could be interesting for Conan amateurs to meet in such a place to exchange their point of view inreal time. What do you think of it?
Chrysagon
Posted Image