909 replies to this topic

#621 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Peoples, stop ragging on The Hunger Games. I haven't read the book yet, but by all accounts from those who have read it, it's supposed to be pretty darn good. Calling it "Battle Royale for the tweeny set" is the same sort of attitude you see in reviews/ignorant internet comments about John Carter.

sorry, that was just me being grouchy.

#622 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

ps it was awesome to see both ciaran hinds and purefoy on screen together...kind of made me feel like a ROME movie for a few seconds...

Polly Walker (Atia) was in it, too.

Really ? Maybe someone in the casting favored Rome. Purefoy is hardcore, i always enjoy him.

Hey amster which version did you see ? Is the 3D really worth it ? Im gonna see it soon and dont want to waste my money on fake 3D gimmick that was attached afterwards.

I've seen it in both formats. It depends on whether or not you like 3D. If you like films in 3D, you'll like this one, too. If not, then you won't like this one in 3D, either. All Real3d films look the same to me, in that they're the same film, except in 3 dimensions. I happen to like them, but I'm not going to try to convince anyone who doesn't.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#623 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Well, it appears it's getting roasted by 21 Jump Street in the US box office, and I think that's probably game over for it in the North American arena.

There still remains a glimmer of hope however,it still has to open in China and Japan where it's expected to do very well indeed.

And of course there's still DVD, blue ray etc and this I think is where it will really get it's second wind.

#624 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

ps it was awesome to see both ciaran hinds and purefoy on screen together...kind of made me feel like a ROME movie for a few seconds...

Really ? Maybe someone in the casting favored Rome. Purefoy is hardcore, i always enjoy him.

Hey amster which version did you see ? Is the 3D really worth it ? Im gonna see it soon and dont want to waste my money on fake 3D gimmick that was attached afterwards.

just as an aside, personally i think the pseudo 3d movement needs to be repudiated as a gimmick- the post production stuff. if you are going to make it 3d do it that way. maybe i'm ignorant of the processes involved these days.

Edited by monk, 18 March 2012 - 03:25 AM.

"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#625 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

just as an aside, personally i think the pseudo 3d movement needs to be repudiated as a gimmick- the post production stuff. if you are going to make it 3d do it that way. maybe i'm ignorant of the processes involved these days.

Who cares if it's done during production or post production, if the effect is the same? The majority of 3D films are done in post, because it saves millions of dollars. People make claims that they can tell the difference, but it's all subjective. Personally, I can't. They all look 3D to me. And it's definately not a gimmick. Carmike just opened a large multiplex in my neighborhood, and it's main attration is an auditorium with a giant state of the art screen called Big DDD. 3D is here to stay. It's all a matter of taste. If you don't like it and don't want to pay extra, then go see the 2D version.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#626 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

http://thejohncarter...total-now-179m/

So, $179 million total, but still struggling in North America. Production costs should be covered by total box office, but the profit will have to come from DVD sales. And everyone who loves this movie is going to buy it on DVD, right? :ph34r:
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#627 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

So, $179 million total, but still struggling in North America. Production costs should be covered by total box office, but the profit will have to come from DVD sales. And everyone who loves this movie is going to buy it on DVD, right? :ph34r:

Strange this film is all over the place, interestingly it's not performing in the States, but it's number one almost everywhere else.

#628 shoggoth666

shoggoth666

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

I'll be buying the dvd. My daughter and I went to see it today. Thoroughly enjoyed the film, superb acting and worthy screenplay, really captured the spirit of the source material, Disney has done ERB justice.
" He was a man...I drink to his shade. The heads of ten Picts will pay for his, and seven heads for the dog who was a better warrior than many a man."

#629 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Well, it appears it's getting roasted by 21 Jump Street in the US box office, and I think that's probably game over for it in the North American arena.

There still remains a glimmer of hope however,it still has to open in China and Japan where it's expected to do very well indeed.

And of course there's still DVD, blue ray etc and this I think is where it will really get it's second wind.

21 Friggin' Jump Street! Gotta love it! The fact that in two weeks worldwide it's pulled in a big part of its budget is a good sign for it. Profitability is still a ways off, but looking at these overseas numbers I don't think it's completely out of the question, especially after the home video release. The US won't be a big help, that's for sure!

#630 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:51 AM

In case nobody has noticed (you're probably not old enough) "21 Jump Street" is basically a riff on "High School Confidential," (1958), the fabulous cult film with a classic introduction by Jerry Lee Lewis, plus the incomparable Mamie Van Doren! They just don't make 'em like that any more.

#631 stonecold-mike

stonecold-mike

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

I know I am.

#632 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 9,072 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

As soon as it hits the shelves.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#633 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Saw it with the family again yesterday and I think I enjoyed it even more the second time.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#634 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I'll be buying the dvd. My daughter and I went to see it today. Thoroughly enjoyed the film, superb acting and worthy screenplay, really captured the spirit of the source material, Disney has done ERB justice.

Only on the movie-making side. The marketing department should be trampled by stampeding zitidars.

I am still absolutely astounded that there's now "Woola" toy out there. A total no-brainer.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#635 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Here's my review.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#636 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Excellent review Al.

Dammit, the whole thing just makes furious. This should have been a major event. John Carter should be everywhere right now. Woola should be everywhere. Dejah Thoris should be everywhere. I would have no problem with Dejah Thoris as a Disney princess---she'd make a far better role-model for my five-year daughter than Cinderella and Snow White who are all over her bedroom right now.

This time I took my daughter with us to see it (I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate at first, but after seeing it both my wife and I thought it would be okay). After it was over, she looks at me with a big smile and says, "Daddy, I didn't know princesses could kick butts!"

I really, really loathe Hollywood right now. :angry:

Edited by theagenes, 19 March 2012 - 02:37 PM.

Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#637 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Here's my review.

That's exactly how I felt walking out-"Wow, I really loved this movie. If audiences can't enjoy something like this, I think it says more about them than the movie." Plus I can't discount the stories of all the intra-company politics going back and forth. If there's anything that would make me believe a company could drop a ball they've been successfully juggling for the better part of the last century, it'd be one faction out to get another and if it takes tanking a major film to "get" someone else, so be it. But that will all fade into the background as history marches forward and the film will stand on its own merits.

#638 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

I finally saw it yesterday. I loved it. I have not read the books in oh about 20 years or so but the movie felt like them.

Sure there are small details here and there but I think like Jackson did for LOTR this was "adapted" well.

I had fun, I was on the edge of my seat at parts and I teared up at one part(being a new dad I think did that..)

I had a blast. Go see it!

The only negative thing I can say is that this again proves that a faithful CONAN adaptation could be done if they just tried. Sigh...

Edited by MilkManX, 19 March 2012 - 09:53 PM.

My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#639 Moonlight Shadow

Moonlight Shadow

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

I also liked the movie a lot except for the bad pseudo-3D that makes the actors look like cardboard cutouts. I'm really surprised that there are people who can NOT see the difference between a movie that was filmed in 3D (like AVATAR) and this postproduction 3D crap.
Unfortunately here in Germany they only show the 3D version of JOHN CARTER, I would have preferred to watch it in 2D.

Man...if only CONAN THE BARBARIAN would have been as good as JOHN CARTER...

#640 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

Excellent review Al.

Dammit, the whole thing just makes furious. This should have been a major event. John Carter should be everywhere right now.

It is everywhere, except for the US. The US entertainment media are either ignoring or downplaying the fact that it's the biggest film in the world for two straight weeks. I understand the idea that a film with a higher budget needs to make even more back to be profitable (it's basic economics), but profit/loss aside, they're portraying 21 Jump Street as a film that's enormously popular with a large segment of the public while simultaneously portraying John Carter as the exact opposite, while the difference in the opening weekend take was only 5 million, and John Carter made ten times Jump Street's 7 million in the international market in the same amount of time. Are people bragging about going to see Jump Street 3 or more times? Will they ever? In two short weeks John Carter has achieved the kind of cult status that some films take years or decades to achieve. It's going to do gangbusters when it hits the rental market.
Posted Image