909 replies to this topic

#701 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

I saw this with the Family in IMAX 3D. Amazing. The FX were great and it was a great afternoon flick. Sure there were plot holes and stuff.... but who cares. It was exciting and adventurous and that's all that mattered to me. I even picked my kid's interest when they found out there there was a whole series of books on John Carter. I think I just turned them onto Edgar Rice Burroughs fans.
The Lord Crom
Director of the Solomon Kane Fan Film "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville"
My shortfilms: http://www.mystichammer.com/
Crom's Conan Page and SSOC Cover Gallery: http://www.mystichammer.com/conan/

#702 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

*sigh* I'm sure Disney's smart enough to do some merchandising on this film.

http://www.disneysto...romSearch=10002

Fail. :(

I've already ordered my CD soundtrack. :)
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#703 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

A great fan trailer for JC:

I've been emailing/messaging this link to people I know who I think would probably dig the movie. Mainly targeting Star Wars fans and such. We'll see what happens. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#704 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Not to hate on The Hunger Games, but I've noticed something abou the coverage of that movie compared to JC that rankles me.

A bunch of my local papers have run articles about the world of the movie, the characters, the terminology. It got me thinking how the critics (pardon while I spit) complained that John Carter was too confusing. Gee, I guess it's too bad nobody did articles on how to tell a Thark from a Jeddak . . . <_<

Question: is this something from a studio marketing department, or did the papers do this on their own initiative?
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#705 Alien

Alien

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

I don't know but the Hunger Games books have been extremely popular so anything related will probably sell.

#706 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Not to hate on The Hunger Games, but I've noticed something abou the coverage of that movie compared to JC that rankles me.

A bunch of my local papers have run articles about the world of the movie, the characters, the terminology. It got me thinking how the critics (pardon while I spit) complained that John Carter was too confusing. Gee, I guess it's too bad nobody did articles on how to tell a Thark from a Jeddak . . . <_<

Question: is this something from a studio marketing department, or did the papers do this on their own initiative?

Based on my very limited experience with such things, basically the studios send out packets, then each paper can decide if they want to do something in the lifestyle section (either the Sunday before it comes out or the Friday release day) or somewhere else, say, the business section, where I saw most of the articles on John Carter (for obvious reasons). The papers gauge if their readers would be interested in hearing more about a certain film/tv show/album, then either use what they've been sent plus do some more digging on their own to craft what you see in the local paper. I'm sure Disney sent something out, exactly what was included I don't know.

#707 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hunger Games is the newest hype and every book publisher, film company is making it appear on tv,papers. They mentioned on the news how violent,dark it was for 11 year olds because its book/film for 15 year olds. Brilliant marketing..... Disney should have cared more for their 250 million dollar film.

Hunger Games dont really need much of a marketing, it has so many YA fans. When i went to The Artist, i saw girls going from my town Uppsala to Stockfolm 50 miles to see sneak premiere. They couldnt even wait fews day for premiere and paid train,bus cost 3 times more than the actual film.

The new SF book hype has marketing machine behind everywhere unlike Disney....

Edited by Libaax, 23 March 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#708 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

Some reviewers complained about violence in John Carter. The same reviewers have no problem with Hunger Games, a film about teens butchering each other. <_<

#709 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Going to see John Carter in 3D again today!
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#710 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

What does Orson Scott Card think of John Carter, and ERB's writing in general? Apparently not very much. I've never read the guy, nor do I plan to, because I saw him on Netflix on a show about faith and spirituality (don't remember the title...sorry), and I thought he was a complete imbecile.

http://greensboro.rh...ghts-ToshO.html
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#711 Kev

Kev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

What does Orson Scott Card think of John Carter, and ERB's writing in general? Apparently not very much. I've never read the guy, nor do I plan to, because I saw him on Netflix on a show about faith and spirituality (don't remember the title...sorry), and I thought he was a complete imbecile.

http://greensboro.rh...ghts-ToshO.html

I got as far as, "...for a few days I was immersed in the life of a professional writer who had created an enduring classic character and became quite wealthy from his dozens of novels – all without any discernible talent No, that's cruel. Tarzan is almost unreadable today, but not because Burroughs was any worse than most pulp writers of his time. As always, the style of commercial writers is a generation or two behind the writing of the cutting edge of the literary elite." <_<

A little too dismissive for me. Kind of like the guy who counters your well laid out argument with an arrogant wave of his hand and states, "All the educated people have already settled that issue and you're wrong."
Kev
"Poets always hate those in power. To them perfection is always just behind the last corner, or beyond the next."
The Phoenix on the Sword

#712 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

I've actually come across people who cite Star Wars as an example of how to do it "right," with JC being "wrong" on account of all the Jeddaks, Tharks, Banths and Ninth Rays. Because, as we all know, Jedi, Moff, Wookie, Darth and Droid were popular parlance in the '70s. :rolleyes:

What does Orson Scott Card think of John Carter, and ERB's writing in general? Apparently not very much.

While I hold Card's attempts at literary criticism in about as high a regard as I do for that of Stephen R. Donaldson (i.e. not even the world limbo champion could pass under it), it's particularly preposterous considering just how derivative of Burroughs' own work his writing is. It's about as backwards as Stephenie Meyer criticizing Bram Stoker for not being very "talented."

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#713 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Card has repeatedly called Edgar Rice Burroughs rubbish.

Which I suppose is fine, since I consider Card's work (including Ender's Game) to be far more rubbishy than anything Burroughs ever wrote. He's up there with Robert J. Sawyer on my "worst living sf authors" list.
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#714 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

According to Amazon.fr, The DVD/Blu Ray will be released in France on July 7th. If the American and UK markets follow suit, at least we won't have long to wait.

http://www.amazon.fr..._rhf_gw_p_img_2
Posted Image

#715 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

Card has repeatedly called Edgar Rice Burroughs rubbish.

Which I suppose is fine, since I consider Card's work (including Ender's Game) to be far more rubbishy than anything Burroughs ever wrote. He's up there with Robert J. Sawyer on my "worst living sf authors" list.

Chis Tookey of the Daily mail slagged off JOHN CARTER massively, at the same time he praised HUNGER GAMES to the high heavens, that's OK cos Tookey's a wanker.

#716 Malak

Malak

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

German news websites start picking up the "one of the greatest flops of all times" crap, citing Disney's alleged 200 million dollar loss...

According to http://boxofficemojo...arterofmars.htm, however, John Carter has so far grossed $234,447,000 worldwide within 17 days.
I have no idea about Hollywood maths, and I could imagine that not all of the money may reach Disney, but really, a 200 million dollar loss? It's as if Disney wanted to badmouth their own project.

Edited by Malak, 25 March 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#717 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

I doubt it, this will be the product of a well thought out press pack which in an of it's self gets the media on your side, as they are lazy buggers and like it handed to them on a plate. I knew nothing about The Hunger Games but now I am pretty well informed and the general public needed similar education to garner their interest in this film rather than changing the title in order to hide any reference to Mars and it's interesting inhabitants. The press seem more interested in crowing about the loss it has made rather than the quality of the film itself.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#718 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

It's weird, but after multiple viewings, my biggest criticism of the film hasn't even been mentioned (if it has by some blogger or reviewer, then I must have missed it - sorry). The biggest plot hole that I saw was that it sure seemed to take a looooong time for Sab Than and Dejah Thoris to get married, and during that same period Carter manages to get an awful lot of stuff accomplished. Even assuming that she put on her dress early in the morning and the wedding procession took all of that day and late into the night, during the same time period Carter was able to escape from Zodanga, travel all the way to Thark, get thrown in the arena, become the Jeddak of Thark, rally the Thank forces, travel by banth all the way to Zodanga, and from there travel all the way to Helium via a one man flyer just in time to crash the wedding. Of course, if we're going to criticise the film for this, then I would also have to point out that in the Empire Strikes Back, Luke manages to complete several weeks or even months worth of Jedi training in the same time it takes Han and Leia to travel to an asteroid field and then to Cloud City, seemingly just a few hours or days at the most, not to mention that Vader manages to get back to his Star Destroyer ahead of Leia and Lando. The latter plot hole was so obvious that Lucas tried to fix it in the special edition, but in doing so he really only managed to make it more glaringly obvious IMO.

Edited by amster, 26 March 2012 - 01:06 AM.

Posted Image

#719 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

It's weird, but after multiple viewings, my biggest criticism of the film hasn't even been mentioned (if it has by some blogger or reviewer, then I must have missed it - sorry). The biggest plot hole that I saw was that it sure seemed to take a looooong time for Sab Than and Dejah Thoris to get married, and during that same period Carter manages to get an awful lot of stuff accomplished. Even assuming that she put on her dress early in the morning and the wedding procession took all of that day and late into the night, during the same time period Carter was able to escape from Zodanga, travel all the way to Thark, get thrown in the arena, become the Jeddak of Thark, rally the Thank forces, travel by banth all the way to Zodanga, and from there travel all the way to Helium via a one man flyer just in time to crash the wedding. Of course, if we're going to criticise the film for this, then I would also have to point out that in the Empire Strikes Back, Luke manages to complete several weeks or even months worth of Jedi training in the same time it takes Han and Leia to travel to an asteroid field and then to Cloud City, seemingly just a few hours or days at the most, not to mention that Vader manages to get back to his Star Destroyer ahead of Leia and Lando. The latter plot hole was so obvious that Lucas tried to fix it in the special edition, but in doing so he really only managed to make it more glaringly obvious IMO.

The wedding party did have to travel from Zodanga to Helium though, so that could have taken a good part of the day. But yeah, it was a bit of a time crunch for JC to do all that he did.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#720 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

Maybe that's why they made Zodanga mobile, so it would be conveniently in range of Helium for the climax . . .
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard