909 replies to this topic

#781 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

So, it's made back it's production budget. Now we need to pay for the "marketing", and it can start turning a profit.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#782 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

So, it's made back it's production budget. Now we need to pay for the "marketing", and it can start turning a profit.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The theaters take a good chunk of the box office (I want to say 40% or so, maybe higher), so that's why movies always want to make at least double their budget in its theatrical run. Profitability is still a long way off.

Edited by johnnypt, 04 April 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#783 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Aw, man, how does anything make money? <_<
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#784 stonecold-mike

stonecold-mike

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The theaters take a good chunk of the box office (I want to say 40% or so, maybe higher), so that's why movies always want to make at least double their budget in its theatrical run. Profitability is still a long way off.

Really? I actually thought it was less than that! Like 10% or 20%, more or less. Hence why theatres make the most money out of their pricey food. Hmm.

Edited by stonecold-mike, 04 April 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#785 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Really? I actually thought it was less than that! Like 10% or 20%, more or less. Hence why theatres make the most money out of their pricey food. Hmm.

You're right. I just double checked and in the US, the usual % for the theater is 15-20%. They do make most of their money on the stuff they sell (not sure I can call some of it food ;) ). I did see a story on JC regarding its overseas take, that's where I saw the 40% for the theaters.

#786 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Aw, man, how does anything make money? <_<

surprisingly a lot of successful movies don't make money initially.

JC will almost certainly make money eventually, DVD/Blueray, etc, etc.

#787 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

OK, Be warned before you proceed, this is a conspiratorial theory. If you find such things offensive to your intelligence, proceed no further!!!!

Richard Hoagland, someone who contends that Space Agencies cover up the truth about life on Mars and other parts of the universe, here says that these forces are behind some of the failings in the marketing of JOHN CARTER.

I think it's still interesting . But if offended, don't open.

Edited by Brule80, 06 April 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#788 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

We're all fantasy fans here. ;)

#789 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Maybe Hoagland can write the script for the next Conan film. :ph34r:

Or the next JC Film.

#790 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

JCM is still showing in St. Louis, but on a reduced number of screens.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#791 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

They took JC film from local theatre less than a month after the premiere here in town. Thats a new record low here. They listened to Disney talk of flop....

I didnt get to see it here. Im thinking about taking a train trip to a town 1 hour away from here or just wait for the DVD. The 3D version only played twice a week in this town before they removed.

People who wanted to see JC with me 5-6 of friends and family are of course not willing to go to another city to see the film....

Edited by Libaax, 09 April 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#792 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

They took JC film from local theatre less than a month after the premiere here in town. Thats a new record low here. They listened to Disney talk of flop....

I didnt get to see it here. Im thinking about taking a train trip to a town 1 hour away from here or just wait for the DVD. The 3D version only played twice a week in this town before they removed.

People who wanted to see JC with me 5-6 of friends and family are of course not willing to go to another city to see the film....

It's worth the trip. It's still playing in my area, but I expect it to hit the $1.99 circuit in a couple of weeks.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#793 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

Still playing in St. Louis, but on a greatly reduced schedule. Theaters are now 2D only or 3D only. This is probably the last week.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#794 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

They just didn't have clue on how to market the film . Despite the huge budget, This film marketed property Could have been and should have been a monster hit.

#795 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

It's worth the trip. It's still playing in my area, but I expect it to hit the $1.99 circuit in a couple of weeks.

There is only 3D version here why there were few sessions per week. The trip is worth for me because i just became John Carter fan when it comes to ERB book. Im going to that town tommorow. If i hadnt read the great,fun JC books i wouldnt bother with the film in cinema i would wait for the dvd.

Edited by Libaax, 10 April 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#796 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Still showing in St. Louis, both D's. What an enlightened city!

#797 Arthyron

Arthyron

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

I saw the film, thought they did a decent job (especially for Disney). I wish they hadn't made the cute dog thing such a prominent character (Disney). I also thought that while the actor playing Carter was believable and looked the part, I always saw Carter as more of a "southern gentleman" than a "tough guy" like they made him out to be. I definitely expected a heavy Virginian accent (I have family there), so I was obviously disappointed there.

Overall, I thought it was worth seeing, and it's a shame that the project was basically sabotaged and crucified by the media, because it was very entertaining and I would like to see more.

#798 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I saw the film, thought they did a decent job (especially for Disney). I wish they hadn't made the cute dog thing such a prominent character (Disney).

Heh, I had the opposite impression: I don't think they did enough with Woola. Woola's companionship with Carter is one of the most poignant parts of the book for me.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#799 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

man I used to love those theatres when we had them, I saw Matrix like 20 times that way...I WISH we still had one and they got JC...
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#800 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

man I used to love those theatres when we had them, I saw Matrix like 20 times that way...I WISH we still had one and they got JC...

P
Personally, I hate ours, and would just rather wait for Blu Ray. There's no Dolby digital sound, and they use worn out prints of the film that have obviously been shown too many times during the normal theatrical run. Pristine picture and sound are things that I'm used to now, and anything less ruins the experience. You get what you pay for.

Edited by amster, 13 April 2012 - 10:53 PM.

Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--