908 replies to this topic

#21 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:48 PM

A Princess of Mars would have been AWESOME as an animated film (though more in the Ralph Bakshi/Don Bluth style than the Disney style)

I'm not a big fan of Elf for some reason. However, I'm excited to see a non-Tarzan ERB film get made at all, so I'm ok with this.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#22 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:25 PM

Cormac - Elf was very funny - my wife just loves that movie!  :D

Kortoso - I got it off the blog 'The Beat' from Mile High Comics dated 10-7-05.  Here' the link:

The Beat

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for cornering that one. Fingers crossed.

#23 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:54 AM

You guys watch Dinner for Five, hosted by Favreau? It's a great show, often hilarious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've only caught snippets of that show while channel surfing. The one time I did watch the whole show was when Kevin Smith hosted and one of his quests was Stan Lee. Because Stan is the Man! B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#24 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:15 AM

Here's an interview with Favreau from AICN. The guy seems devoted to making the best film he can. We'll just have to wait and see what he turns out.

http://www.aintitcoo...ay.cgi?id=21509
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#25 Valin

Valin

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:00 PM

As long as he doesn't make it as a spoof or tongue-in-cheek.

_________

After reading the interview with Favreau, I feel better about him directing the film.

Edited by Valin, 10 October 2005 - 06:09 PM.

"He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." ... Rafael Sabatini

#26 jak

jak

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:42 PM

As long as he doesn't make it as a spoof or tongue-in-cheek.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Hate to see it become like a Mel Brooks movie ... bunch of ferocious banths sitting around the campfire farting up a storm or something. Funny, but doesn't serve the books.

John A. Karr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#27 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:52 PM

By reading the interview (which I finally have done BTW), it's obvious that this film is going to rock!

I want to make sure that I don't steal from later books so much that I can't go ahead and help bring those to the screen as well.

Um... I'll keep my mouth shut now.

Edited by Kortoso, 13 October 2005 - 11:03 PM.

#28 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:58 AM

I'm actually looking forward to the inevitable "this is a Star Wars rip off" conversations from those unaware of ERB. It'll be a chance to spread the good word, if only to a few.

*gasp!* "You mean George Lucas didn't invent scifi?" :o
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#29 Pillarhood

Pillarhood

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:29 PM

I was not happy with this news, at all, until I read the interview from aintitcoolnews.com . He seems very dedicated, and very anxious to preserve the true story from the source material. I really respect that. I hope he does a great job and it's a huge success.

#30 Valin

Valin

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

I'm actually looking forward to the inevitable "this is a Star Wars rip off" conversations from those unaware of ERB.  It'll be a chance to spread the good word, if only to a few.   

*gasp!*  "You mean George Lucas didn't invent scifi?"  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's like a few years ago, just before the first LotR and Harry Potter films came out. I was at BarnesandNobles and they had displays of the Tolkien and Rowling books set up.

A kid (early teens) was looking at the Tolkien table and says, "This author is trying to copy the Harry Potter books," to his mother (I assume).
"He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." ... Rafael Sabatini

#31 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:32 PM

:) Did you have any luck finding a copy of the ERB books? They'll get their own shelf before long, as I note is happening to Howard's (between Herbert and Hubbard) works... ;)

#32 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

I hope that this movie will increase Burroughs literary popularity-- lately is has become somewhat stagnant. For the first time in my memory, Ballantine has let all but the first few Tarzan books go completely out of print. No Tarzan and the Castaways!! No Tarzan and the Foreign Legion! :o

I just hope this movie doesn't screw something up that might be overlooked as trivial-- like giving John Carter an X-Men leather uniform or something like that. Or making the Barsoomian Air boats look like propellor airplanes, the way Gil Kane did in the Marvel comics.

#33 Valin

Valin

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:51 PM

I hope that this movie will increase Burroughs literary popularity-- lately is has become somewhat stagnant. For the first time in my memory, Ballantine has let all but the first few Tarzan books go completely out of print. No Tarzan and the Castaways!! No Tarzan and the Foreign Legion!  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I wasn't a big Tarzan fan, I enjoyed "Tarzan and the Foreign Legion." Best line: "Is dat Johnny Weissmuller?"

#34 Jukka

Jukka

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:25 PM

I've recently read "Princess of Mars" and seen lots of wonderful fantasy-art of Dejah Thoris as well as the beautiful paintings by Frazetta.

"Princess of Mars" would have been a great animated feature, though it could have been done in a WB-style, which wouldn't have suited it the best, nor a Disney-esque.

My hopes goes to this project that it will atleast move forward on some levels, even if there won't be any dramatic changes to the status-quo in the next couple years.
The mood should be very serious in tone, and explore the best of the fantasy-world where it is set.

#35 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:31 AM

For all you Frazetta freaks like me who love both Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, here is something brand new, a Tarzan message board. This is the first of its kind, too-- the only half decent Tarzan message board before now was a fan site for the recent WB TV show that got cancelled. This is not an "official" website-- Tangor's Erblist/ Erbmania is a private run gigantic ERB fansite that is similar to Stale's Savage World of Conan.

http://www.erblist.com/eforum.html

Edited by korak_the_killer, 09 January 2006 - 04:56 AM.

#36 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:02 AM

For all you Frazetta freaks like me who love both Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, here is something brand new, a Tarzan message board. This is the first of its kind, too-- the only half decent Tarzan message board before now was a fan site for the recent WB TV show that got cancelled. This is not an "official" website-- Tangor's Erblist/ Erbmania is a private run gigantic ERB fansite that is similar to Stale's Savage World of Conan. Here is the link, I hope to see some fans show up besides just the moderators:

http://www.erblist.c...s.cgi?pg=topics

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the heads-up, Korak!

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#37 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:18 AM

My pleasure, Deuce! :rolleyes:

For some weird reason, Tangor has not put a link that goes from the forum back to ERBmania, which I have suggested he needs to do. If you want a link into the massive erbmania and erblist websites, here is my own portal to that mighty realm:

http://www.erblist.com/erbmania/korak/

#38 kansasbarbarian

kansasbarbarian

Kansan by birth,Barbarian by the grace of God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

Hey Korak, not to derail your thread but this is about an ERB story. Just wondering if you had ever read The Otlaw of Torn? I read it 1 time about 25 years ago and whenever I look for it in the used bookstores I frequent most of them have never heard of this particular story by ERB. I would like to acquire a copy. If I remember correctly the copy I used to have had a Frazetta cover. Was this a limited publishing of this book.

#39 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

Frazetta did do a great knight on horseback for the Ace seventies edition; the original sixties edition was by Krenkel and was also excellent. That was the second book Burroughs wrote, right after Princess of Mars, and just before Tarzan of the Apes. ERB spent a lot of time reseaching it because it is historical fiction, but had a hard time selling it for some weird reason.

It should not be hard to find a copy of the Ace paperback sometime, but I will check to see if it is in print currently for you! :)

#40 kansasbarbarian

kansasbarbarian

Kansan by birth,Barbarian by the grace of God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:16 AM

Hey thanks for the quick response Korak. I always keep my eyes peeled for it. ERB is right behind REH for me. I dig Tarzan and John Carter.