905 replies to this topic

#461 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

I'm taking my wench to Cirque du Soleil on Friday. John Carter will have to wait. :ph34r:

#462 ambiente

ambiente

Amazed at the view...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

I think one of them is his dead wife's ring. This version of JC apparently lost his family.

There's a shot in some of the other trailers with Carter standing in front of crosses, that's apparently the price he paid.

Thanks theagenes! Thanks johnnypt!
Although, I still wonder if one of the rings represents evidence of service during the civil war...
A good man has no fear of darkness. Are you a good man, then?

#463 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

I think one of them is his dead wife's ring. This version of JC apparently lost his family.

There's a shot in some of the other trailers with Carter standing in front of crosses, that's apparently the price he paid.

Thanks theagenes! Thanks johnnypt!
Although, I still wonder if one of the rings represents evidence of service during the civil war...

He's only wearing the one ring, it's just got ridges that make it look like more.

#464 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

One ring?

"It must be cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came . . ."
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#465 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

One ring?

"It must be cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came . . ."

Threw that softball out there, figured someone had to take a swing. :)

BTW-the NY Post absolutely ripped the daylights out of it. It's not really Lou Lemenick's kind of movie though, so I wouldn't completely use him as a guide. We'll see in roughly 26 hours...

#466 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:49 AM

Eh, some people can't handle anything more complicated or fantastical than Dick and Jane. They can be safely ignored.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

#467 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,135 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Don Herron (Godfather of Howard Studies and all-around non-mainstream fiction guru) is looking forward to the movie:

http://www.donherron.com/?p=2820

Having talked to Don a few days ago, I can affirm that he's stoked about this.

Honestly, "pulp" has never really experienced this kind of convergence EVER. Y'all cross your fingers and hope Stanton and Co. pull it off.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#468 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Most of the negative reviews seem to be from people who didn't understand it or thought it was confusing. After all, sf and fantasy should be simple and fun---not complex and challenging. :rolleyes:

I think those reviews can be safely dismissed. The mainstream entertainment media seems to (unconsciously) want this movie to fail so they can proclaim it a new Waterworld. This movie needs our support in a bad way. If it fails, then it will be much harder for future pulp, sf, and fantasy movies to get greenlit. Conan flopping was barely on the radar---if this flops it will be a big, high-profile flop. And if it flops due to bad marketing and a hostile media, even though it's a good movie, that will be a tragedy.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#469 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Most of the negative reviews seem to be from people who didn't understand it or thought it was confusing. After all, sf and fantasy should be simple and fun---not complex and challenging. :rolleyes:

I think those reviews can be safely dismissed. The mainstream entertainment media seems to (unconsciously) want this movie to fail so they can proclaim it a new Waterworld. This movie needs our support in a bad way. If it fails, then it will be much harder for future pulp, sf, and fantasy movies to get greenlit. Conan flopping was barely on the radar---if this flops it will be a big, high-profile flop. And if it flops due to bad marketing and a hostile media, even though it's a good movie, that will be a tragedy.

I just read the Roger Ebert review and he doesn't get it at all. He brings up the old complaint abut why would you use a sword when you have a ray gun. He also asked why do the Tharks need to have tusks!

And this on here is a huge piece of PC Bullshit. She even uses the "N" word! "Nuance"!!! AARRGGHHH!!!

http://www.flickfilo...l#axzz1oX73Jgwh

take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#470 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

So, Rotten Tomatoes just went rotten. What the hell happened? Not that it's always a factor (look at the ratings of most of the #1 films recently) but still. The saving grace might be the word-of-mouth. Most audiences who have already seen it love it. Will that be enough?

How can a film with such good buzz be getting so much bad buzz at the same time? :unsure:

#471 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

So, Rotten Tomatoes just went rotten. What the hell happened? Not that it's always a factor (look at the ratings of most of the #1 films recently) but still. The saving grace might be the word-of-mouth. Most audiences who have already seen it love it. Will that be enough?

How can a film with such good buzz be getting so much bad buzz at the same time? :unsure:

This may be a love it or hate it movie with little inbetween. Plus there might be a lot of bandwagon-jumping going on with a lot of these critics. SOme of the reviews I've read demonstrate little or no critical or original thought. They just drop buzzwords and regurgitate what each other are saying.

Edited by theagenes, 08 March 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#472 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

And this on here is a huge piece of PC Bullshit. She even uses the "N" word! "Nuance"!!! AARRGGHHH!!!

http://www.flickfilo...l#axzz1oX73Jgwh

take care.
Doug

This is Maryann Johanson's review, just to be clear. :)
"He’s a white man, so he must be right, is the evergreen underlying assumption, and even intelligent civilizations on other planets know this."

Kinda funny, that it's a whim of Hollywood that Wil Smith wasn't picked for this. So then what would she have said? :D

#473 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Did you catch the two-story blockhouse With the upper story turned 45 deg. from the lower? You see it for about a tenth of a second. I've never seen a picture of one from the West but some from the East and I've never seen one in a movie. Someone has put some passion for military detail in this film.

Did they have blockhouses like that west of the Mississippi? Not in Arizona/New Mexico surely....pretty cool looking though.

I'm going to see it tomorrow. Will reserve further judgment till then.

#474 sheets75

sheets75

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Disney botched the marketing in such a colossal way that the bullies detect weakness and are circling in for the kill. None of the mainstream reviewers want to be the nonconformist that comes out and says "Hey, it's actually pretty good!" What sucks is that in a year or so, people will have rented the dvd, enjoyed the movie, and wondered how come it bombed but by then there won't be any sequels greenlighted, careers will have been wrecked, and Hollywood will keep on thinking that movies based on classic sci-fi/fantasy don't sell but, hey, movies based on BOARD GAMES are the new hotness!

#475 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Pretty interesting interview with on of the movie's writers. Seems like the guy gets it. http://www.wired.com...s-guide-galaxy/

Ditto what was said above about the critics. I'm hoping it's all just hype, this movie has me more excited than any other in a long time.
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#476 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

I rarely go by what critics say about anything ,even when at times i end up agreeing with a review. I have come to think recently its a useless profession that accomplishes nothing.we can all think for ourselves, what we like and dont like and if something looks appealing or its based on something close to your interests, see it and determine for yourself if it was a waste of time or not.

#477 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

I saw it tonight and loved it! Changes have been made, but I can live with them. Except that is, for the thing lifted straight out of a Lin Carter novel! :wacko:
Any film can be nit picked to death, but all in all it was a joy!

take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#478 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

I feel encouraged to see how many the negative reviewers are unaware of the fact that this inspired so many imitations.

Most of the positive reviews seem start out with this obvious fact.

#479 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

As far as it's box office performance is concerned, I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. At worst, we won't get any sequels. But we'll still have this film, which my gut instinct is telling me will end up being one of my favorite films of all time. In six months I'll have the BluRay to watch over and over until the end of time, no matter how it performs. Right next to my copy of Conan 2011. Either way, I win.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#480 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

As far as it's box office performance is concerned, I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. At worst, we won't get any sequels. But we'll still have this film, which my gut instinct is telling me will end up being one of my favorite films of all time. In six months I'll have the BluRay to watch over and over until the end of time, no matter how it performs. Right next to my copy of Conan 2011. Either way, I win.

If it ends up a cult classic , we might at some point down the road, get follow up movies. And maybe someone will do an animated John Carter tv series. it's just a thought. :)