905 replies to this topic

#1 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:27 PM

Sorry that this is way OT for this forum, but I had to share.

Some time ago it seemed that the Edgar Burroughs' classic Barsoom stories were not going to be made into films. This was due to the director having been fired by the studio. Well that seems to have changed;

http://www.empireonl...p?news_id=16055

The Princess Groom

Sky Captain director replaces Rodriguez on sci-fi film
30 July 2004
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow director Kerry Conran must have enjoyed his time fiddling around with greenscreen because he looks set to sign on for the potentially huge franchise A Princess of Mars.

Princess is based on the first book of Tarzan creator Edgar Rice Burroughs? 11-volume John Carter of Mars series and Paramount, along with co-producer Harry 'AICN' Knowles - has been searching for a director capable of jump-starting a franchise since Robert Rodriguez left the project due to his non-afiliation with the Directors Guild of America.

Rumour had it that Alphaville, the production company involved, whose previous forays into the f/x world include The Mummy and The Scorpion King, wanted Stephen Sommers to replace Rodriguez but thankfully the Van Helsing director passed.

Meanwhile, self-confessed sci-fi geek Conran's revolutionary effects work on the relatively low budget Sky Captain has obviously impressed the suits over at Paramount.

Sky Captain isn?t released until September 17 and still has to prove itself a hit with the great unwashed. If it fails to live up to expectations, Conran could find himself out on his ear before he has even begun.

Paramount is anxious for a bang-up job on this one because it believes it has a potentially massive money-spinner on its hands and there?s plenty of scope for a Police Academy style endless sequels if the space project takes off. A Princess of Mars: Assignment Miami Beach, anyone? No? Anyone?

It would seem that Paramount really wants to turn this series in a film franchise if they are willing to risk an untried director.

Edited by Axerules, 06 July 2011 - 05:29 AM.
Title fixed

"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#2 InCromWeTrust

InCromWeTrust

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:51 PM

Hm interesting, it's a gamble but Conran seems like a better choice than *shudder* Sommers and Rodriguez.
Posted Image
"Honor and fear were heaped upon his name and, in time, he became a king by his own hand..."

#3 Matt Spencer

Matt Spencer

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:07 PM

Now now, Rodriguez is a fine director. Sommers is a hack, but a fun hack for what he does.

It'll be interesting to see what this new guy does with this.
"I have lived in the Southwest all my life, yet most of my dreams are laid in cold, giant lands of icy wastes and gloomy skies, and of wild, wind-swept fens and wilderness over which sweep great sea-winds, and which are inhabited by shock-headed savages with light fierce eyes. With the exception of one dream, I am never, in these dreams of ancient times, a civilized man. Always am I the barbarian, the skin-clad, tousle-haired, light-eyed wild man, armed with a rude ax or sword, fighting the elements and wild beasts, or grappling with armored hosts marching with the tread of civilized discipline, from fallow fruitful lands and walled cities."
-- Robert E. Howard

<http://www.mattspencer.net>

#4 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:51 PM

I do hope that his current film, Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow, does well when it hits the theaters.
not just because I want him to be able to do the burroughs stories, but because I think that it is time that the world of pulp related material should get back on the big screen.

Who, besides me, wants to see a good Doc Savage, The Spider, or a new Shadow film?
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#5 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:02 PM

Doc Savage all the way! I'd even go for one with Arnold playing him (which was the original plan).

#6 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:02 AM

http://imdb.com/title/tt0401729/
"Civil War vet John Carter is transplanted to Mars, where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet whose main inhabitants are 12-foot tall green barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, who is in desperate need of a savior."

This could be interesting...
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#7 wookiee

wookiee

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:50 PM

gain, i they stay true to burroghs , it will be great.the stuff he came up with as far as weapons and tech was amazing considering it was written in 1914.

#8 dr Bo

dr Bo

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:06 PM

This could be a very interesting project to see on film.
I haven't had the chance to read the novel, are they worth checking? I guess so, but just curious how people in here found them.

#9 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:00 PM

Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series is great for color, action, and adventure. Once you start reading it, you will recognize lots of stuff that you have already read, that has been derived from it.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#10 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

Now this is how to be a rapid fan:
John Carter the Movie
Looks like somebody has dedicated himself to keeping track of the production, and even has a petition.

#11 Valin

Valin

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:29 PM

Now this is how to be a rapid fan:
John Carter the Movie
Looks like somebody has dedicated himself to keeping track of the production, and even has a petition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According that that site, Harry Knowles (Ain't-it-Cool News) is one of the movie's producers. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Anyone, lets hope this is truer to Burroughs creation that the Conan films were to REH's.
"He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." ... Rafael Sabatini

#12 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:39 AM

I love ERB's books, especially John Carter. It's basically space fantasy, but inspired tons of modern scifi. Get ready to see "from the creator of Tarzan" on every poster...
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#13 Valin

Valin

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

I love ERB's books, especially John Carter.  It's basically space fantasy, but inspired tons of modern scifi.  Get ready to see "from the creator of Tarzan" on every poster...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never really got into the Tarzan novels much, but I loved ERB's science-fantasy books (especially Barsoom and Pellucidar).
"He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." ... Rafael Sabatini

#14 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

Foggy Nelson and Elf director to get a shot at Mars. Check it out:

Posted Image

Jon Favreau has been tapped to direct A PRINCESS OF MARS, the first in a potential franchise of films based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' quaint but vivid SF novels.

No movie property has had a more troubled history than ERB's Mars tales. Once it was to be an animated film from Disney. Later on, Robert Rodriguez was slated to direct it. That fell through when he dropped out of the Director's Guild to let Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino co-direct SIN CITY. Kerry Conran, the guy who made SKY CAPTAIN in his garage was then picked, but that movie's notorious flame out seems to have taken Conran's directing career with it.

So now it's Favreau, who has a past as a comedic actor behind him. He also directed ELF (starring Will Ferrell) and the upcoming ZATHURA, based on the Chris Van Allsburg fantasy. ZATHURA has apparently impressed people enough to give Favreau the job of bringing the hurtling moons of Mars to life.

We're willing to give Favreau the benefit of the doubt, but his past with the new Wilson/Vaughn/Stiller/Ferrell rat pack worries us a bit. Vince Vaughn as John Carter? Will Ferrell as Tars Tarkas? Ben Stiller as Woola? Write your own jokes.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#15 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:00 PM

That's good news, I guess. :) What's your source, and the date of that announcement?

#16 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

I saw it yesterday over at CHUD.com here: http://www.chud.com/...pe=news&id=4629

Harry Knowles of A.I.C.N fame is apparently a co-producer. I think Jon Favreau's a good choice. He also produced and starred in Swingers and Made.

#17 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

I like Jon Favreau's movies. Not sure how he'll treat action/adventure, but if Elf is any indication on how he can do a fantasy-based movie, I'm excited.
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#18 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

Cormac - Elf was very funny - my wife just loves that movie! :D

Kortoso - I got it off the blog 'The Beat' from Mile High Comics dated 10-7-05. Here' the link:

The Beat

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#19 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:45 AM

Cormac - Elf was very funny - my wife just loves that movie!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it was funny! Plus it had heart for days. Favreau showed a real love and respect for those old TV holiday specials. He stayed away from cgi for the most part, using old-school camera tricks and weird perspective. I'm hoping that same respect will be shown if/when he adapts John Carter for the screen. :)

Fingers are firmly crossed.

#20 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:30 AM

You guys watch Dinner for Five, hosted by Favreau? It's a great show, often hilarious.