Photo

History/Archaeology News and Discussion (General)

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#321 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

Interesting times for Egyptologists.

They?ve unearthed a ?warehouse? with a couple of dozen mummies in Saqqara, a huge necropolis south of Cairo. They were stored in niches lining a deep shaft. Not that old, only about 2,600 years, but the part of Saqqara where they found them dates back to the old 6th Dynasty, a couple of thousand years earlier. Only a few were in sarcophagi, and those wooden, so they weren?t ?important? people. Even so, the excavators were surprised at the ?niche? burial method which they thought was used only in the earliest dynasties.

Interesting thing, they were discovered near two identified tombs, one for a guy responsible for overseeing the operations of nearby quarries and the other a woman whose job was to ?procure? others to entertain the pharaoh (wonder what that means? ;) ) The quarries were dug to provide material for a pyramid nearby, which was discovered in November (smaller than the Great ones, obviously; there are more than a hundred known in the country.)

Also, in Saqqara again, an intact and perfectly preserved mummy has been discovered. Limestone sarcophagus, a big shot. A rare find because grave robbers didn?t get to it. Not really that old, 26th Dynasty, 600 B.C. or thereabouts.

Experts estimate that maybe only a third of ancient tombs and monuments in Egypt have been uncovered.

Maybe they?ll someday find a statue of Set?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#322 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:40 AM

Sounds to me like they were reusing an old niche-tomb. The Egyptians were great recyclers. They had to be. There was only so much land and so many resources. When I was there some restoration was being done on the paved area in front of one of the temples. On the sides of the paving blocks you cold see paintings done when the blocks were part of an earlier temple that stood on the same spot. Incidentally, the tomb-robbing was probably beneficial. Without it, the tombs of only a few pharaohs would have contained all the gold in the ancient world. I've seen the Tut exhibit in the Cairo Museum. The sheer volume of gold is mind-boggling, and this was in the tomb of an absolute nobody of a pharaoh. The mind boggles at the prospect of what the tombs of pharaohs like Seti I or Ramses II must have been like.

#323 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

Interesting how they mummified people in Ancient Egypt:

http://oi.uchicago.e...S/ED/mummy.html
All that we see or seem

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#324 Guest_Sermon Bath_*

Guest_Sermon Bath_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:15 AM

I once saw this bit on Tv about the enormous numbers of mummies found in Egypt. At one time some business men in England were buying mummies, grinding them up, and selling them for hog feed. They did a good business too.

#325 thundarr

thundarr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

I wasn't quite sure where to post it, but I thought here might be a good place. The History Channel has a new series starting March 12 called Warriors which "goes inside the culture of the most famous warriors of all time to explore their weaponry, tactics and, ultimately, their psyche."

Sounds kind of interesting and like something some of us here might appreciate.

Warriors - The History Channel

Here's an episode breakdown:

Episode 1: The Vikings
Norway & Poland, 991AD
The Hells Angels of the Middle Ages pillage Europe, but they meet their match--the Saxons--at the Battle of Maldon.

Episode 2: English Knights
England & France, 1415
Outnumbered English knights and archers, led by King Henry V, slaughter French knights at Agincourt.

Episode 3: Samurai
Japan, 1612
Legendary samurai Musashi meets archrival Kojiro in a climactic duel.

Episode 4: Barbarians
Germany, 9 AD
The Romans, with the greatest army in the world, are annihilated by Germanic tribes at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest.

Episode 4: Spartans
Greece, 479 BC
At the Battle of Plataea, brilliant tactics and battlefield discipline help the Spartans defeat the Persians, avenging the devastating defeat of the 300 at Thermopylae.

Episode 5: Maya
Guatemala/Mexico, 800 AD
Recent archeological discoveries unearth secrets of a fierce warrior society--one built on human sacrifice, bizarre rituals and deadly weapons. A bloody battle at the ancient city of Dos Pilas leads to the downfall and disappearance of this powerful pre-Columbian warrior society.

Episode 6: Warrior Monks
Malta, 1565
The Knights of Saint Johns defend Malta from attacking Ottomans in one of history's greatest sieges--the Siege of Malta--the last battle of the Crusades.

Episode 7: Zulu
South Africa, 1879
African warriors overwhelm an occupying British army. It was Britain's Little Bighorn--Englands worst defeat at the hands of a colonial force.

Episode 8: Hawaiians
Big Island & Oahu, 1790
Warring chieftains engage in brutal inter-tribal battles for domination of the Hawaiian archipelago.

Episode 9: American Revolutionaries
North & South Carolina, 1780-81
Backwoods militia led by "The Swamp Fox," Francis Marion, wreak havoc by practicing guerilla warfare against British regulars invading the South.

#326 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:55 AM

You always bring something to the table, thundarr. As a history teacher, I have to thank you for this post. You may have noticed the History Channel has quietly transformed itself into a sort of weird reality show channel. Not all that much history on it anymore except for their old stuff. I suppose its a matter of ratings. Sigh. I wonder if this is one of those BBC series that they have bought from time to time and re-edited with an American narrator? (Edward Hermann is the man!) The last documentary I thought was well done by the HC yahoos was the one on The War of 1812. I will keep my fingers crossed on these.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#327 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 14,835 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:28 AM

Sounds cool, Thundarr! Thanks for the heads up (and bumping this thread). B) Pilgrim, I'm with ya. I hope the HC gets more "historical" programming on. Of course, I also hope dirigibles make a come-back. :lol:

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#328 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:50 AM

http://www.iht.com/a...st-Language.php
All that we see or seem

#329 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

Warriors teaser trailer.

:rolleyes:

Edited by ?sir, 02 March 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#330 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Thats the same guy who did " Future Weapons " too I think..

I get kind of tired of the " lets take some soft talking Greenberet/Delta/SAS Goon and give him a TV show talking about historical stuff like trebuchets or cross bows " I realize that the veiwing public dosen't want to see a bunch of tweed wearing guys discussing this stuff.. but its really bad when i feel glad to see people from Time Team show up..

#331 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

I realize that the veiwing public dosen't want to see a bunch of tweed wearing guys discussing this stuff..

Well, for some reason there's only the "I'm a green beret"-muppets (that apparently has some significance :rolleyes: ) and the oldies in tweed that are in consideration. How about they actually get modern archeologists with an interest for the subject for once? This new warrior-show? I'm sorry to disappoint you but not much of what is in that teaser is even close to good. It's crap. And that's a teaser trailer. And those are usually all the goodies of the whole series/movie edited together.

#332 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Well, it's all about the 18-49 demographics. Advertisers are convinced that younger people are more willing to change their products more often than the older crowd. Therefore, the network that can pull in the young set, gets paid more to do it. Viewers of the History Channel in America have witnessed a subtle but steady slide in the type of programing presented by that network. "Modern Marvels," which are mostly documentaries about contemporary topics like nuclear power sites, assembly lines, etc., quietly took over the bulk of the programing. Then came the reality shows like "Ice Road Truckers." It is only rarely that the History Channel now offers any "history," so to that extent, the new series will almost certainly contain more of it than the one about lumber jacks screwing up with chain-saws.

Yet, even in the History Channel's documentaries, the style has changed. In the old days you would have slow pans over old paintings of the period, then a dissolve to a talking head professor in front of some bookcases in his or her office. Informative, but boring as hades to the MTV generation. Now we get muscular young guys with a connection to the martial arts, sporting fashionably grungy jeans and hair cuts (their may be a job opportunity for Kortoso and Aesir, here). Made of more athletic stuff than the sedentary profs, they personally demmo the weapons while the director flash cuts between hand-held camera shots every three seconds sweetened with explosive audio effects. That's supposed to get the young demographic where it lives.

The important point is, that just like the older style of documentary, these shows are far cheaper than making actually history films. To my knowledge the ol' History Channel has never coughed up the dough to make an actual film. The closest they have come is their documentaries that feature extensive filming with re-enactor groups (Civil War Combat, War of 1812, etc.). The truth is, that A&E (which owns the History Channel) and the History Channel have turned into very different animals than their logos herald.

#333 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Of course, I also hope dirigibles make a come-back. :lol:

We've got one tooling around my neighborhood (Moffett Field) but the rides are $250 and really are for sight-seeing.

#334 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

Now we get muscular young guys with a connection to the martial arts, sporting fashionably grungy jeans and hair cuts (their may be a job opportunity for Kortoso and Aesir, here). Made of more athletic stuff than the sedentary profs, they personally demmo the weapons while the director flash cuts between hand-held camera shots every three seconds sweetened with explosive audio effects. That's supposed to get the young demographic where it lives.

I can't speak for Aesir, but I've been in a couple of those for the History Channel. They're not usually interested in the reenactors' input. But if the Star says it's historically accurate, that's what you see (although his qualifications are only modern military). And they call in the professor later to support that.

Recently we got called by SpikeTV for a bit on the Vikings, but they really seemed to want to assume the tone of pro wrestling and create a "history smack-down". None of our guys was interested. I asked the producer if he would be interested in a knight-vs-samurai discussion, and I could certainly dig up experts on both sides. No response. :(

#335 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

http://www.iht.com/a...st-Language.php

Timeless, I am sorry this one's getting lost.

ALMODOVAR, Portugal: When archaeologists on a dig in southern Portugal last year flipped over a heavy chunk of slate and saw writing not used for more than 2,500 years, they were elated.

The enigmatic pattern of inscribed symbols curled symmetrically around the upper part of the rough-edged, yellowish stone tablet and coiled into the middle in a decorative style typical of an extinct Iberian language called Southwest Script.

"We didn't break into applause, but almost," says Amilcar Guerra, a University of Lisbon lecturer overseeing the excavation. "It's an extraordinary thing."

For more than two centuries, scientists have tried to decipher Southwest Script, believed to be the peninsula's oldest written tongue and, along with Etruscan from modern-day Italy, one of Europe's first. The stone tablet features 86 characters and provides the longest-running text of the Iron Age language ever found.

#336 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

Here's an interesting article about the evolution of ancient neolithic hunting techniques. One can almost picture a sort of nomadic civilization that didn't rely on cities or agriculture, but did perhaps rely on cooperation by large numbers of people.

http://www.israelnat...ews.aspx/130209
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#337 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

They seem to be eager to make the leap between form and function without any intervening steps. Still an interesting theory.

They look like the also mysterious Nazca lines.

#338 thundarr

thundarr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:24 AM

Well, I was setting up the TiVo to record the new Warriors series on the History Channel and I ran across another new series called "Battles BC". It's another new History Channel series that "...uses a stunning graphic style comparable to 300, the hit feature film, to show leaders from the ancient world in some of the greatest conflicts in history. The eight episode series premieres Monday, March 9th at 9pm ET/PT on HISTORY."

If you didn't like the film "300" you're probably not gonna like the series, but I thought it looked rather interesting. The first episode focuses on Hannibal.

Battles BC

#339 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the tip, thundarr. I'll give it a look.

#340 thundarr

thundarr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

So I checked out the 1st episode of the History Channel's new series Battles BC which focused on Hannibal and I have a question - was Hannibal 'black'? Now, I've seen some other documentaries on Hannibal where he wasn't depicted as 'black', but I have heard some people claim otherwise.

Now, if this were just a movie or tv series I wouldn't particularly care how he was depicted, but since it's a "documentary" (and I use this term loosely since Hannibal was also depicted wearing nothing but a piece of tinfoil over one shoulder as armour) I was curious if there was any empiral evidence of him being 'black' or if this was just some kind of revisionist history. Could Hannibal actually have looked something like this?

Posted Image

It also reminded me that I had heard Vin Diesel has long been trying to develop a Hannibal film and is currently producing an animated Hannibal series for BET.

Hannibal the Cartoon