deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,069 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

CONAN THE GLADIATOR
by Leonard Carpenter. Tor 1995.
[ Conan as a 'circus wildman' + a hired 'gladiator /thug']

This whole story is trivial, limp, boring + ridiculous.
it features weak, wimpy Stygians allowing Corinthians [in roman style] to run their capital city like an ancient 'las vegas' entertainment complex.
this book bears NO resemblance to 'Conan', or Hyboria, Stygia, or even 'sword + sorcery'!

conan is unbelievably naive, dull, slow + stupid in this very silly wimpy farce. there are NO supernatural elements + NO magic /sorcery at all in this dull, pathetic, pointless tale!

the 'climax' is just a big accidental stadium collapse + flood, while a confused silly conan tries to avoid fighting anyone!?! Posted Image

rating= 0 of 5. a complete waste of paper! avoid. :angry:
[ WORST attempt yet. except for 'Relentless' by r green ]
-
i must use carpenters own words as i ask -
" by Crom's scratchy linen clout!"
'why?..why...WHY ?!?...' Posted Image

WARNING ! . this book will damage your... - Posted Image
--

This is BEYOND "crap on a crap cracker" status. I simply can't understand why some people like Carpenter.

I'm glad he hasn't had a writing career in the last 20yrs. :)

The novel takes a pi$$ on Howard's conception of Conan and the Hyborian Age in almost every conceivable way. <_<

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#22 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

CONAN THE GLADIATOR

it features weak, wimpy Stygians allowing Corinthians [in roman style] to run their capital city like an ancient 'las vegas' entertainment complex.
this book bears NO resemblance to 'Conan', or Hyboria, Stygia, or even 'sword + sorcery'!

conan is unbelievably naive, dull, slow + stupid in this very silly wimpy farce. there are NO supernatural elements + NO magic /sorcery at all in this dull, pathetic, pointless tale!

the 'climax' is just a big accidental stadium collapse + flood, while a confused silly conan tries to avoid fighting anyone!?! Posted Image

[ WORST attempt yet. except for 'Relentless' by r green ]
-
i must use carpenters own words as i ask -
" by Crom's scratchy linen clout!"
'why?..why...WHY ?!?...' Posted Image

WARNING ! . this book will damage your... - Posted Image
--

This is BEYOND "crap on a crap cracker" status. I simply can't understand why some people like Carpenter.

I've read Conan pastiche authors that I thought were worse, that's for sure. Roland Green comes to mind. So does Steve Perry. Both of those guys totally suck when it comes to writing a Conan yarn.

Carpenter...? I don't like him. It's not that I think he's bad--his writing to me is just, well, boring. There's no emotion in it. I feel like I'm reading a Conan RPG supplement--not an engrossing novel.

I like his situations and stories OK. From my opinion, the guy just doesn't do anything interesting with it. The writing is just not there. I much prefer Lin Carter, L. Sprague de Camp, Robert Jordan, and a few others over Carpenter.

I'd put Roland Green in the "F" category, giving them a failing grade. Carpenter...I'd put him in the "D" category. It passes, but just barely. And, I'd realy rather read the C grade stuff and better.

#23 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

Carpenter's pastiches always fail for me. He starts off with promising ideas, sometimes working in areas of Conan's career that haven't been chronicled much . . . and fumbles it.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#24 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,069 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

CONAN THE GLADIATOR

the 'climax' is just a big accidental stadium collapse + flood, while a confused silly conan tries to avoid fighting anyone!?! biggrin.gif

WARNING ! . this book will damage your... - blink.gif
--

I agree, Buxie.  B) 

At least Carpenter didn't try to place the "gladiator" scenes in an "Hyborian" kingdom.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.