30 replies to this topic

#1 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:40 PM

A company called Green Ronin has introduced a d20 RPG game based on the world of Glen Cook's epic The Black Company series. Info can be found here: http://www.greenroni...catalog/grr1409

Question: Is any one familiar with Green Ronin? Do they have a good rep? I'm thinking of purchasing the package.

In addition, there's an interview with Glen Cook at the Strange Horizons web site. Apparently there are two more Black Company books on the drawing board, but we won't be seeing them for a few years yet. Dammit!

Cheers,
LD

#2 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:46 AM

Lord Durham - I saw The Black Company RPG at my local gaming store yesterday. It looked very nice with a great cover and black and white illustrations on the inside. I think it was $34.95. You know you want it! :)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#3 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:11 AM

My store got in this past week. I have not had the time to look through it so I cannot give you any real information.

RPG.net has several threads about it so here's a link to the most recent ones;

http://forum.rpg.net...searchid=477586

Edit; Just found a review link; http://www.d20zines....order=0&thold=0
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#4 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:12 PM

Thanks, Kane. It sure had a good review.

Strom, I know I do...

#5 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:24 AM

I thought the name Green Ronin sounded familiar - they are doing the relaunch of Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Here is a link with a preview and some downloads, if anyone is interested.

WFRG

To quote my bro: "Some of the previews have some cool stuff about new diseases in the old world, with some dark and humorous flavor text such as " The Galloping Trots" and "StenchFoot Fever". :lol:

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#6 Bighammer

Bighammer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:00 PM

I've been meaning to post this anyway, so now is a great chance to. What do you folks think of Glen Cook's Black Company series? I know there are a lot of fans who dislike them after the adventures in the north, but, personally, they're among my favorites. Cook is by no means Howard, but he does have that oh-so-elusive ability to convey a vivid, colorful scene in a concise evocative style. In that regard I liken him to Howard, because so few writers have that talent. For the opposing end of the spectrum I present the examples of Robert Jordan and Stephen King-- two men who've never stooped to using one word where fifty will do :D
But not all men seek rest and peace, some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path..... - A Witch Shall Be Born

#7 Speelie

Speelie

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:19 PM

I like Glen Cook a lot, but I want to put in a plug for a different series of his. The Black Company is popular, and deservedly so, but I really adore his Dread Empire novels. Bragi Ragnarson ends up a bit like King Conan, only instead of mighty Aquilonia, he is the barbarian ruler of tiny Kavelin.

#8 jimbo

jimbo

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:22 AM

I've been meaning to post this anyway, so now is a great chance to. What do you folks think of Glen Cook's Black Company series? I know there are a lot of fans who dislike them after the adventures in the north, but, personally, they're among my favorites. Cook is by no means Howard, but he does have that oh-so-elusive ability to convey a vivid, colorful scene in a concise evocative style. In that regard I liken him to Howard, because so few writers have that talent. For the opposing end of the spectrum I present the examples of Robert Jordan and Stephen King-- two men who've never stooped to using one word where fifty will do :D

I am a big, big fan of the Black Company. But I don't put Cook's writing in the same category of sword and sorcery as Conan. Cook's Black Company is more like Lord of the Rings.

I am a big fan of Gemmell's Druss and Waylander as well, but I still feel that the earlier writers had more imagination.

#9 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

I've heard plenty of good things about GR's Black Company book, though I've never played it. I thought that the original trilogy and The Silver Spike were great, hard-hitting fantasy. Cook kind of slipped later on, IMO. On the other hand, Glen's new "Instrumentalities of the Night" series is excellent Howardian fantasy.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#10 Carlos

Carlos

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:58 AM

I've must of read the Black Company trilogy at least 5 times. Probably my favorite fantasy series after Conan and Cormac Mac Art. Company wizards, our favorite Barbarian sure could them on occasion. Not much into RPG's . Glen Cook certainly has his own style of writing.
We live so other may die. UnOfficial Motto of the USAF AMMO Troops

#11 tofu

tofu

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

I bought some Game PDFS on Black powder rules for d20 3.5 settings off Green Ronin. I have no complaints. Seems a good rpg designer.
Warfighting Philosophy:
Shatter the Enemys cohesion through a variety of rapid,focused,unexpected actions which create a turbulent and rapid deteriorating sitchuation in which the enemy cannot cope. Department of the Navy.

Facinated at birth with the power of a Gun, Trained as a Troop to weild one effectively, and still loveing them today.

Nothing beats a well placed sling shot to the bridge of the nose=)

#12 Skarthi

Skarthi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

Ok i put this in the 'Fantasy book' thread but no-one picked up on it so here goes...anyone familiar with this-

http://en.wikipedia....e_Black_Company

And is it any good ?
Cheers
Skarthi

#13 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

Ok i put this in the 'Fantasy book' thread but no-one picked up on it so here goes...anyone familiar with this-

http://en.wikipedia....e_Black_Company

And is it any good ?

One of the best series out there, in my opinion.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#14 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

I agree with Paul. However, I have to say that the original three plus The Silver Spike are the only ones I heartily recommend. For some reason, things went downhill from there, IMO. Cook's new Instrumentalities of the Night series is looking good.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#15 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hey all,
I read the 1st 3 books in in the omnibus edition from Tor last year and I was just blown away with the series!!!
I've never read any fantasy that was comparable to this.
It sure as hell ain't "High" Fantasy and since it's not "Goth" I wouldn't call it (imho) "Dark" fantasy either.
I guess you could call it "Grunge" fantasy maybe.
The 2nd set of 3 in omnibus format comes out this month i think. It's called "The books of the South"
These books were for me the most realistic fantasy that I've ever read. When I say "realistic" I mean as far as the way the people behave, interact and view themselves and their world.
These guys are Hardened mercenaries who are capable of atrocities. Yet they are aware of this and still maange to maintain their humanity and humor.
The series is very very dark but as stupid as it seems the books come across very bright and vivid.
I guess that that doesn't make much sense, but I lack the words to describe it better.
You will end up caring for these characters. Good guys are bad, bad guys are good.
And every single person good, bad or both stands out as an individual.

These are in a way Howardian in that they are gritty and totally lacking any bull**** romanticism.
The omnibus from Tor is available from amazon. Go check it out.
I can't recommend these books enough.

Take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#16 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

I agree with Paul. However, I have to say that the original three plus The Silver Spike are the only ones I heartily recommend. For some reason, things went downhill from there, IMO. Cooks new Instrumentalities of the Night series is looking good.

I agree that the original trilogy is the strongest. But, I do think that Cook kept it interesting as he continued because he kept doing unique things with the company rather than retreading where they'd already been.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#17 Skarthi

Skarthi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

Cheers Guy's...the first omnibus came in the post this morning so i am gonna get stuck into that while ordering the 'Books of the South' from Amazon...i tried reading 'The Blade itself' by Joe Abercrombie last night because i had heard a lot of good reviews about it but its ****....its like a 'Conanesque' version of ****ing Harry Potter :angry:

#18 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hey all!
This looks veeeeery promising!! :P

Return of the black company

take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#19 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hey all!
This looks veeeeery promising!! :P

Return of the black company

take care.
Doug

While we are on the subject, An Empire Unacquainted with Defeat has finally arrived at Night Shade Books.

This collects Cook's short stories concerning the Dread Empire. Seeing as how I have ever only found one Cook short story, I'm excited about this collection.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#20 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:57 PM

I miss my Black Company. :o

Apparently there are two more books to come. This small excerpt was taken from an interview Cook did with Stange Horizons in 2005:

DM: What are you currently working on? Is there a future for the Black Company?

GC: Someday. I have two more, A Pitiless Rain and Port of Shadows, planned for the future, but I have a bunch of other stuff I have to do first that's under contract. It will be several years before a new Black Company novel comes out.

Can't come soon enough, I say...