229 replies to this topic

#201 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

Ah, and I was being inattentive. If you are considering posting entire issues, there is another fact to consider. Many authors went back over the years and get assignments back from WT, or, the individual authors or their heirs filed the renewals and took back their rights. So, you would need to track down EVERYONE's rights. And, in a number of countries, it is strictly life + 50 or 70, and lots of those authors have died more recently than that.

In case you were getting your hopes up. They call me MISTER Sunshine.

#202 Mark_Hall

Mark_Hall

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:08 AM

Ah, and I was being inattentive. If you are considering posting entire issues, there is another fact to consider. Many authors went back over the years and get assignments back from WT, or, the individual authors or their heirs filed the renewals and took back their rights. So, you would need to track down EVERYONE's rights. And, in a number of countries, it is strictly life + 50 or 70, and lots of those authors have died more recently than that.

In case you were getting your hopes up. They call me MISTER Sunshine.

I'm sure the Evil Dark Lord will appear when needed; Sith or otherwise....

#203 Alpha Beta Mu

Alpha Beta Mu

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

If you are considering posting entire issues, there is another fact to consider. Many authors went back over the years and get assignments back from WT, or, the individual authors or their heirs filed the renewals and took back their rights. So, you would need to track down EVERYONE's rights.

I think I've got this covered. Whether it was the magazine, the author, or some other interested party, someone had to renew the copyright in the 28th year. I've been using the records and links at the Pennsylvania copyright records site to check this - both the periodicals (Weird Tales) and the contributions to periodicals (by title and author). So far, "many authors" appears to mean "mostly August Derleth" but that may be just my issues. I haven't decided quite how to represent this in the final scans - probably just a page with "Copyright Renewed."

Beyond this... I'm probably just going to do it regardless. I can always take them down later if someone objects (with proof). I don't like the idea of not doing something because it might be a problem and I've taken reasonable research with the online records.

#204 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

If you are considering posting entire issues, there is another fact to consider. Many authors went back over the years and get assignments back from WT, or, the individual authors or their heirs filed the renewals and took back their rights. So, you would need to track down EVERYONE's rights.

I think I've got this covered. Whether it was the magazine, the author, or some other interested party, someone had to renew the copyright in the 28th year. I've been using the records and links at the Pennsylvania copyright records site to check this - both the periodicals (Weird Tales) and the contributions to periodicals (by title and author). So far, "many authors" appears to mean "mostly August Derleth" but that may be just my issues. I haven't decided quite how to represent this in the final scans - probably just a page with "Copyright Renewed."

Beyond this... I'm probably just going to do it regardless. I can always take them down later if someone objects (with proof). I don't like the idea of not doing something because it might be a problem and I've taken reasonable research with the online records.

Sounds like a plan.

#205 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:20 PM

Who has the last say on REH poetry? If I take a poem and turn it into an art piece, who do you contact to get permission, if it is not based on Conan that is?
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#206 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Many REH stories have passed into public domain, including many excellent Conan originals. What Conan stories and fragments of REH's are still held in copyright?
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#207 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Many REH stories have passed into public domain, including many excellent Conan originals. What Conan stories and fragments of REH's are still held in copyright?

The ones not published in Weird Tales or other magazines during REH's lifetime: The Frost Giants Daughter (Gods of the North, the same story with a different title, is in public domain however), The God in the Bowl, The Black Stranger, and The Vale of Lost Women. Those four stories were copyrighted and published decades later.

Edited by amster, 15 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#208 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

The ones not published in Weird Tales or other magazines during REH's lifetime: The Frost Giants Daughter (Gods of the North, the same story with a different title, is in public domain however), The God in the Bowl, The Black Stranger, and The Vale of Lost Women. Those four stories were copyrighted and published decades later.

Thanks. I have Vale of Lost Women and The God in the Bowl in Conan the Cimmerian, where is The Black Stranger in print?

#209 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks. I have Vale of Lost Women and The God in the Bowl in Conan the Cimmerian, where is The Black Stranger in print?

http://www.howardworks.com/storyb.htm

#210 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

The Conquering Sword of Conan.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#211 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

The Conquering Sword of Conan.

Awesome, alright, well I'll just get that for my collection and I'll be set for my read-through and gift-basket.

#212 Rargentum

Rargentum

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

Can Anyone Write and sell Conan Stories?

Or is the legal situation more complicated than that?
Applying a keenish critical eye to the Conan stories.
http://www.conanquotes.com

Follow on Twtter for Conan quotes:
https://twitter.com/QuotableConan

Loads of free guitar resources for anyone who plays guitar
http://robsilverguit...blogspot.co.uk/

#213 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Conan the Cimmerian is trademarked by Paradox. Better off that you create your own character and write your own adventures.

Morgan
Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#214 Rargentum

Rargentum

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

OK, I'll change his name to Koh'nun
:-)

#215 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

Just use the Celtic Kon'n; it's the same name. Literally, pronounced the same way.

Edited by RJMooreII, 29 May 2012 - 02:03 AM.

#216 Rargentum

Rargentum

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

Conan the Cimmerian is trademarked by Paradox. Better off that you create your own character and write your own adventures.

Morgan

I think for me, I would see writing a Conan story or a story set in the world of Conan as a tribute or homage to one of my favorite writers, not as a creative short cut, but if I'm gonna get sued, I'll make up my own :-)

#217 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

I still see writing stories set in Howard's Hyborian setting as a great way to expand on the original.
But those who do write the stories need to be well versed in what Howard originally wrote.
The last attempt showed what happens when current writers do not respect the original material.

Rargentum, righ now your best bet would be to write your own sword and sorcery stories with your own setting.
Speaking for myself, I would love to read some S&S in the style of REH. Just make sure that you fill it with action and that you love writing the characters and setting.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#218 Rargentum

Rargentum

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

I still see writing stories set in Howard's Hyborian setting as a great way to expand on the original.
But those who do write the stories need to be well versed in what Howard originally wrote.
The last attempt showed what happens when current writers do not respect the original material.

Rargentum, righ now your best bet would be to write your own sword and sorcery stories with your own setting.
Speaking for myself, I would love to read some S&S in the style of REH. Just make sure that you fill it with action and that you love writing the characters and setting.

Now to spend years deciding what to call my hero!

#219 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

If it helps, do a google search for popular names in different countries and cultures.
When I have to come up with a name for one of rpgs characters, and I want something
unusual or not obvious, that is what I do.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#220 TheDarkslayer

TheDarkslayer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Just write it your way. Who will stop you? You can always get some opinions when it's done here. People have done it before. If I ever decide to write a Conan story, by Crom I'll do it. I just might not be able to publish it.
Craig Halloran
author of The Darkslayer

Check out my books and blog!

http://www.thedarkslayer.com

Favorite Conan Stories: The Black Stranger, Queen of the Black Coast ... (i'm going back and re-reading REH Conan) It's long over due.
Favorite Conan Artist: Ernie Chan