13 replies to this topic

#1 hogtown73

hogtown73

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:41 PM

First,I want to apologize if i posted this in the wrong forum. There is an illustrated Conan forum, but this does not pertain to Conan. I recently bought the Worms of the Earth graphic novel that Cross Plains/Wandering Star published and was wondering if Kings of the Night was ever adapted in the pages of Marvel's Kull or in any other comic form? Thanks in advance.

#2 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure about Marvel, but Dark Horse (I'm pretty sure it was them, hope I'm not giving incorrect info here) did a 2 issue adaptation years ago, around the time they were doing the Cormac Mac Art comic (I think there were 4 issues of that?). Very nicely done if I recall, especially liked the cover of the first issue. Still have them somewhere in the boxes of Conan comics.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#3 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:45 PM

Kings of the Night was adapted by Roy Thomas and David Wenzil in SSOC #'s 42 and 43 .

As Primeval says it was also done by Thomas and Gary Barker in Issue 1 and Thomas and Aaron Lopresti in Issue 2 of Dark Horse's King's of the Night in 1989.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#4 hogtown73

hogtown73

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:02 AM

Thanks,guys.I'll try to track these down!

#5 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Tim Conrad illustrated a brilliant adaptation of Worms Of the Earth which was originally featured as a backup story in SSOC #'s 16-17.

#6 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:14 AM

Yeah, the graphic novel of Worms is the same one, colorized. Barry WS actually drew the first chapter of it.

I did not care for either version of the comic book Kings of the Night, however... as far as I am concerned Dark Horse needs to do that one again, with Cary Nord or someone like that. Kings is a very key REH story, one of his rare crossovers with both Kull and Bran mak Morn, as well as Cormac.

Edited by korak_the_killer, 03 July 2006 - 06:14 AM.

#7 Newt

Newt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, the graphic novel of Worms is the same one, colorized. Barry WS actually drew the first chapter of it.

I did not care for either version of the comic book Kings of the Night, however... as far as I am concerned Dark Horse needs to do that one again, with Cary Nord or someone like that. Kings is a very key REH story, one of his rare crossovers with both Kull and Bran mak Morn, as well as Cormac.

Yeah, Dark Horse's Kings of the Night wasn't very great. The adaptation was mediocre and the artwork was rather lame (you're right Korak, a redo of that adaptation with Cary Nord would be cool as all get out). The worst part about it is that Kull is in it, but they don't even mention his name, they only refer to him as a king of an ancient civilization. I guess Marvel probably still owned the Kull rights at that time and Dark Horse was not allowed to use his character or something. Whatever the reason...kinda' lame. Not really even worth tracking down in my opinion.

Thankfully I really liked Dark Horse's Cormac Mac Art comic series from around that same time. It had really good artwork and the story was really good. I highly recommend tracking that one down.

Edited by Newt, 15 July 2006 - 04:01 PM.

#8 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:00 AM

Posted Image

Kings of the Night #1

Writer: Roy Thomas
Cover Artist: John Bolton
Penciller: Gary Barker
Inker: John Nyberg
Letterer: Jean Simek
Genre: Fantasy

In ancient Britain, chieftains Bran Mak Morn and Cormac and the tribes of Britain and the North prepare to face the assembled might of Rome. Their only hope of victory lies in finding a king to unite their armies--an impossible task--unless the sorcerer Gonar can conjure one from the Antediluvian past!

Publication Date: May 01, 1989
Format: Full color
Price: $2.25

Posted Image

Kings of the Night #2

Writer: Roy Thomas
Cover Artist: John Bolton
Penciller: Aaron Lopresti
Inker: John Nyberg, Aaron Lopresti
Letterer: Jean Simek
Colorist: Carol Van Hook
Genre: Fantasy

A legendary king mystically reborn a thousand years after his death leads Bran Mak Morn and the armies of ancient Britain against the armored might of the Roman legions in the exciting conclusion of this miniseries!

Publication Date: Jun 01, 1989
Format: Full color
Price: $2.25

Great covers from Bolton! B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#9 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:06 AM

Strom. En fuego. B) Lovin' it, but I hafta ask: did you just get a new "upload" program or what? ;) BTW, I was just thinkin' today that someone should post all those great DH/Bolton covers.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#10 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:27 AM

Strom. En fuego. B) Lovin' it, but I hafta ask: did you just get a new "upload" program or what? ;) BTW, I was just thinkin' today that someone should post all those great DH/Bolton covers.

:D - I'm still using old tech here! Amazingly, Dark Horse has all these covers still on their site. It's great! Now we have them here.

B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#11 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

It's a shame the contents don't live up to the covers.
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#12 daknight

daknight

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:32 AM

The Cormac Mac Art series that Darkhorse had done was amazing imho. Kings of the Night I never got. Maybe I will sometime.
Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and origin of marvels. -- Goya

#13 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:14 AM

I picked issue 1 on Saturday at Collectormania Glasgow: much better than I was expecting. I'm going to hunt down the second issue. B)

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#14 Guest_tank666_*

Guest_tank666_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Bad,bad,bad.Nice covers though.The color repo in issue 2 is just horrible.The wenzel adaption not much better.Worms does kick axe though.