198 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Durall

Jason Durall

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:22 PM

I post this because KEW was a Conan author, and the fact that this could be the next big bad barbarian style adventure.

From Variety, Feb 11, 2004 -

In 'Shadow' of success
'Reflections' story is first up to be produced

By DANA HARRIS

"Cabin Fever" producer Lauren Moews has acquired "Death Angel's Shadow,"
three short fantasy stories by Karl Edward Wagner that feature the immortal
antihero Kane.

First film to be produced from the collection will be "Reflections for the
Winter of My Soul." Other stories are "Cold Light" and Mirage."

Moews and Dean Masserman formed Tonic Films in 1999. In addition to "Cabin
Fever," which earned $22 million through Lions Gate Films, other Tonic
productions include "Amy's Orgasm" and "Briar Patch." Tonic also has a sales
and distribution alliance with Susan Jackson, founder of Turtles Crossing.

Moews has been nominated for the Independent Spirit Awards' Producers Award,
which will be announced Feb. 28.

#2 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 06:41 PM

I don't know alot about Kane, but i was just doing a bit of online research into him to see if I wanted to get the recently released hardback collection of stories and saw that there were some stories set in modern times? Are any of these you mentioned set in modern times?

Speaking of which, perhaps our own Kane could enlighten us on the Kane stories - I particularly would like to know if they are purely what I call Swords and Sorcery (meaning no "science" or techology) or if they have elements of sc-fi too. I thought I read somewehre that they were more sci-fi than barbarian heroic fantasy. Just a personal thing - it ruins it for me if technology that is out of place in a primeval age shows up in a story.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#3 Jason Durall

Jason Durall

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:16 PM

I don't know alot about Kane, but i was just doing a bit of online research into him to see if I wanted to get the recently released hardback collection of stories and saw that there were some stories set in modern times? Are any of these you mentioned set in modern times?

Speaking of which, perhaps our own Kane could enlighten us on the Kane stories - I particularly would like to know if they are purely what I call Swords and Sorcery (meaning no "science" or techology) or if they have elements of sc-fi too. I thought I read somewehre that they were more sci-fi than barbarian heroic fantasy. Just a personal thing - it ruins it for me if technology that is out of place in a primeval age shows up in a story.

These three stories are dark fantasy. The story in question is a gothic castle/werewolf tale, if I remember rightly.

You can learn a ton about Kane (the KEW version) by checking out this site:

http://www.dodgenet....lossom/kane.htm

A few of the later stories were set in modern times, but most of the Kane tales are firmly set in the sword-and-sorcery millieu. Only hints are given that there might be some science fiction elements (mentions of a migration from the stars, some ancient alien technology from primeval times, and one crossover with Elric where a crashed spaceship is explored), but the five principal Kane novels are straight-out dark fantasy.

Really, they are the best examples of S&S outside of Howard you will find. Period.

#4 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the help Jason - I will seek out the 5 original novels then. Unfortunately, I am more than a bit anal about the technology thing, so will have to avoid the other stories you mentioned :D

Thanks for the link too - I actually have gained alot of info on Kull and Conan from that site, but never noticed the kane stuff before.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#5 alex

alex

Barbarian by birth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:55 PM

This sounds fantastic. A Kane film is great news!
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king.

- "The Road of Kings"

#6 Paolo

Paolo

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 08:48 PM

Isn't there only 3 novels and a bunch of short stories?

#7 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:09 PM

OK, stupid question. Is this not Solomon Kane? That might just serve to make the waters murky when a real Solomon Kane film comes out...
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#8 Paolo

Paolo

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:18 PM

No it's not Solomon Kane I thought might've been obvious from the first post :huh:

#9 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:22 PM

Speaking of which, perhaps our own Kane could enlighten us on the Kane stories - I particularly would like to know if they are purely what I call Swords and Sorcery (meaning no "science" or techology) or if they have elements of sc-fi too.

Others have touched on this matter in this thread so I'll just limit myself to the two biggest examples that occur in the novels.

Darkness Weaves, has some alien tech that is used by a race thought of as demons. This tech takes the form of energy weapons and submersibles. The manor in which Wagner wrote the story allows for them to be defeated by a concentration of regular weapons and tatics that the aliens are not able to comprehend. Since this is only a small part of the overall story it does not detract from the action. If anything, it helps to create the overall mood and sense of 'otherworldlyness" of the entire series.

Bloodstone, also includes alien tech and the appearence of degenerated aliens. Again, this does not detract from the story. Wagner does an excellent job of keeping a balance between the fantasy and sci-fi elements.

Anyone who enjoys Howard or Burroughs should check out the new collections of Wagner's Kane series. They are a wonderful blend of fantasy, action, horrorand sci-fi.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#10 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:39 PM

Read this over at http://www.darkhorizons.com. Cabin Fever. Pretty creepy film. Good atmosphere and tension. He could be the right man for the job. I haven't read Darkness Weaves in a couple of decades. I'll have to dig it out.

#11 Argrath Dragonspear

Argrath Dragonspear

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:13 AM

Kane, also known as Kane the mystic Swordsman, is a half human, half demon not so nice guy. He really is the foremost anti-hero!

#12 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:53 AM

The impression I have from reading the books is that Kane is Caine, the left-handed, slayer of his brother Able, and cursed with immortality and bad luck. If you've never read the Kane stories, imagine Conan, thousands of years old and with millenia of experience under his belt, totally corrupt, trying to relieve his boredom by becoming King of the World, but always failing due to some stroke of bad luck. :angry: :( <_<

If they can make a Kane movie, then they can make a Conan movie without PC jollity and comedy relief stupid sidekicks. After reading some Kane stories, REH's own Conan seems like a Boy Scout.

Edited by Ironhand, 13 February 2004 - 01:57 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#13 Paolo

Paolo

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:57 AM

It's a pity Wagner never completed his outlined plans. Drugs eh? :(

#14 Jason Durall

Jason Durall

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:22 AM

Drugs eh?  :(

Not exactly... after his wife left him, he slowly deteriorated and stopped taking care of himself, drinking way too much until he died from liver failure.

#15 Paolo

Paolo

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:55 PM

Ah cheers for clearing that up

#16 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:16 AM

I came across this, and thought of Kane here and that there are a few other KEW fans here - so:

http://toynk.com/cat...ord_2853934.htm

#17 InCromWeTrust

InCromWeTrust

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:58 AM

Pretty cool but ouch! on that price..
Posted Image
"Honor and fear were heaped upon his name and, in time, he became a king by his own hand..."

#18 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for posting the link! :D
Now all I have to do is find someway to come up with the money. :angry:
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#19 Forkbeard

Forkbeard

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:55 PM

Wow, that is a thing of beauty.
FB

#20 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

Looks like a real sword, not like those stupid Conan movie swords.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject