35 replies to this topic

#1 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:00 PM

If Conan came across a compound bow would he love it and use them in all of his battles or would he shun them and only use traditional archery equipment?

#2 jackx

jackx

fvror tevtonicvs!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

Presumably neither, if I remember correctly, he wasn't exactly fond of bows. ;)
As for equipping his bowmen (as King of Aquilonia) with them, I suppose he'd do it if it yielded better results - however, the Bossonians seem to be doing quite well without them already.
Posted Image
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace
no peace!

#3 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, read your Beyond the Black River. A barbarian people without the use of the bow is not unheard of, as it is believed that the people that first came to the Americas (from the west) had lost the knowledge of bowcraft and re-learned it in the Americas.
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#4 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

She awakens...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:19 AM

REH made Conan a more interesting character with his cimmerian 'codes of honour'. after Conan learned bowmanship from the Turanian army he seems to prefer to only use it as a last resort. this is clearly shown in 'queen of the black coast'. but, as with everything he does, conan is an expert 'master archer'! his archery feat from the top of the pyramid at the end is astounding! :o .. B)

if u want to learn all about the remarkable real composite bows then read CONAN THE MARAUDER by JM Roberts - in it he details the amazing weapons + tactics of the ancient huns + mongols! [ we know em best as the Hyrkanian cavalry]
great action + big battles + conan revels in it all.
:)

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#5 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:25 AM

I just had a good session with my compound yesterday and I was curious what you guys thought. I love my compound. I can nail pop bottles at thirty yards almost every time and I don't use a site.

#6 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

She awakens...

• Members
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:50 AM

i like to 'pick off' 25mm high mounted knights [wargames figs] from about 200 yards. B)
we have great fun in the grounds of my uncles castle on his private archery range.

time to 'feather a new shaft'...
;)

#7 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:51 AM

um I'm not sure if I believe you. 25 mm is a very small target. Where is your castle? I don't want to know where you live.... the country will do.

#8 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:12 PM

um I'm not sure if I believe you.  25 mm is a very small target.  Where is your castle?  I don't want to know where you live.... the country will do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that your leg that The Buxom One is pulling on?
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#9 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:37 PM

I know she is pulling my leg. I am just being silly. I got a new bow mag today. There is a good article in it on bowfishing.

#10 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

She awakens...

• Members
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:38 AM

um I'm not sure if I believe you.  25 mm is a very small target.  Where is your castle?  I don't want to know where you live.... the country will do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually, we use a variety of barbie, action man, + cabbage patch dolls at 100 yds range for our archery practice.
its my uncle who usually hits 9 of 10 of the '25mm wargames figs' at 200 yards...with his rifle with laser sight! :D
his castle is in yorkshire in england. my home county.

my fave chopper is the apache longbow.
+ some of my fave films are bowfinger, + operation crossbow.
my fave version of robin hood was played by john cleese in time bandits. [far more accurate than the kevin 'poser' costner version!?! ] :lol:

best wishes from the jolly buxom archeress..
+ thanks for being a merry good sport with a fine muscular shaved leg under your green tights?!? ;)
cheers *** :)

#11 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:59 AM

I know she is pulling my leg.  I am just being silly.  I got a new bow mag today.  There is a good article in it on bowfishing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funnily enough my brother used to fish whith a crossbow.. a spinning reel was mounted on the underside of the front stock and was attached to single barb bolts.. pretty effective too with its 120 lb pull drawstring..

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#12 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:29 AM

I don't have a castle but I do have an 86 acre farm. I have never been bowfishing. I read that in order to practice guys fill up little plastic jugs with water and throw them into the lake or stream or whatever and then shoot them.

How do I attach an image?

The boards are acting really weird. They keep freezing on me.

#13 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

I don't have a castle but I do have an 86 acre farm.  I have never been bowfishing.  I read that in order to practice guys fill up little plastic jugs with water and throw them into the lake or stream or whatever and then shoot them. 

How do I attach an image? 

The boards are acting really weird.  They keep freezing on me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

William.
Posting an image..
you can upload your pic to a web hosting service or personal site (you can get them pretty easilly), once thats done its just a case of copying the address of the pictures location and using the "http" button or "image" button to place a direct photo or a link to it..

You gonna show us your bow then?

One of the webmasters on the modelling site I moderate is into bowmanship as well,

I tried archery once.. almost removed a nipple becuase I had my body at too side-on an angle... boy, it hurt!!

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#14 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

I would like to post pictures of my bows but not now. I am too busy. Maybe later on today.

#15 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:11 AM

Hey Y'all,
I think Conan would use them if necessary. He was a pracical fella and if something would aid him or his men in survival and/or winning, then he utilized it, no matter what he thought of it.

I shoot traditional archery myself. For years I shot a compound. But when you can split arrows with these modern sights, it gets boring and it becomes clear it is not my skill but the sights and gadgets that enabled me to do it. So now I only shoot a longbow. I can kill a rabbit with it from a few yards. And for shooting an old volley ball rolling across the yard the longbow is the quickest, the master at it! You just push and draw as you come up then release. One simple fluid motion. No setting sights, standing aligning them, aiming, etc.. Just up and fire. I love my longbow! it is a beautiful four lam bamboo bow from Northern Mist longbows out of Michigan, Stev Turay, bowyer.
Take care,
Freebooter
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#16 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:55 AM

hmm

#17 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:02 AM

I don't use a bow site. I never have. I want to try one out. I don't know how to go about finding and installing one.

#18 mailedfist

mailedfist

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:21 PM

:) Why not switch to a stick and a string. I used sights on my compound whenm I took up hunting years ago, then took them off. Now as I became more proficient, I wanted more of a challenge, so I switched to traditional tackle. You should try it. As for Conan, as stated before, he was adaptable, and if he came across one, he may have used it. Although having done both, you can not trully shoot instinctively with a compound. There is some type of "aiming" involved. With traditional equipment, be it long bow, recurve, self, etc... you concentrate (focus) on a specific spot, and shoot. Hand, eye coordination and repitition enable you to become a proficient shot.

I don't use a bow site.  I never have.  I want to try one out.  I don't know how to go about finding and installing one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is always a way, if desire is coupled with courage.

#19 William Blake

William Blake

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:49 PM

hmmm

#20 Bear

Bear

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:38 AM

Conan would be better with gunpowder. I never was good with a bow, but rifles I know something about.I think Conan would use a better mouse trap if he found it and acording to the situation.