78 replies to this topic

#61 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

His faculty with language is also a common pulp hero trait. Look at ERBs heroes. No sooner are they translocated to Barsoom or stranded in Pellucidar, and they learn the local (and conveniently universal) language. More than anything, this allowed the writer to keep the story moving quickly, without getting bogged down in chapters of the hero not knowing what the heck is going on.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#62 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

His faculty with language is also a common pulp hero trait. Look at ERBs heroes. No sooner are they translocated to Barsoom or stranded in Pellucidar, and they learn the local (and conveniently universal) language. More than anything, this allowed the writer to keep the story moving quickly, without getting bogged down in chapters of the hero not knowing what the heck is going on.

I agree. That's the pragmatic reason. However, as Merlin's quote from The Sowers of the Thunder demonstrates, Howard also "bought into" the "Celtic aptitude" thing. Of course Conan would be a "quick study" in language acquisition, since his people were the "root race" of the Gael. In his "Allison" yarns involving the AEsir, there's more than one instance where the AEsir are befuddled by local languages. In Marchers of Valhalla, the Khemuri learn AEsir to communicate with their unwelcome guests. I'd bet a band of Cimmerians would've had the local lingo sussed out in short order. You see the same thing in the In the King's Service fragment. Donn Othna already knows Greek. His Saxon "comrades" have to depend on him.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#63 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

At least ERB made an effort, unlike, say, Star Trek, where every alien race the Enterprise encounters just happens to speak English fluently. :)
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#64 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:24 AM

Ah, but on Trek they have the Universal Translator, which manages to decypher every language in the universe in a billionth of a second, and makes the translated words match their lip movements to boot. ;)
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

#65 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:27 AM

Ah, but on Trek they have the Universal Translator, which manages to decypher every language in the universe in a billionth of a second, and makes the translated words match their lip movements to boot. ;)

I never really bought the universal translator. I think the Babble Fish is much more believable. :)
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#66 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:03 AM

Both are plot devices, of the most literal variety.

But, let's steer this back to Conan, shall we? :)

#67 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:04 AM

Both are plot devices, of the most literal variety.

But, let's steer this back to Conan, shall we? :)

Fine with me. :)

(IMO) Evidence says: Conan="natural linguist".

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#68 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:31 AM

My bad. :ph34r:
Posted Image

#69 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

something else maybe worth considering is those languages likely shared language groups E.G. Germanic / Romance / etc so learning one would put him in a good position to learn another of the same type quickly..

#70 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:13 AM

another thing maybe is that he didn't know all of them.. he just found people who knew languages he did know..

Take the scene in 13th warrior where the only language they share is Greek.

#71 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:22 AM

another thing maybe is that he didn't know all of them.. he just found people who knew languages he did know..

True, but that will only get you so far. It would be virtually impossible to rise to a leadership position (such as the head of an Afghuli tribe) without knowing the language fluently.
Posted Image

#72 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:32 AM

well obviously some are more story dependent than others.

#73 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:18 AM

Knowing that many languages is in no way an impossibility. REH was fully aware of Sir Richard Francis Burton and his accomplishments. If it was possible for RFB (and numerous other historical figures) why not Conan? Just because your average (OK, "sub-standard" :P) American can barely manage English (let alone additional languages) doesn't mean that Conan suffered from the same handicap.

Just remember: Conan could read 10,000 year-old Stygian heiroglyphics AT A GLANCE. ;)

My two lunas. :)

#74 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:23 AM

I've waited in line in airports and train stations numerous times in European countries, and witnessed lots of service people juggle multiple languages seemingly with no effort.
Posted Image

#75 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:29 AM

I've waited in line in airports and train stations numerous times in European countries, and witnessed lots of service people juggle multiple languages seemingly with no effort.

...and their lives didn't depend on it.

#76 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:02 AM

I also think that Conan was a natural linguist. He probably spoke some tongues better than others, depending on the time he spent in the country.

Something interesting:
THotD, chapter 7: "He wears Nemedian mail, but speaks with an Aquilonian accent."
Funny isn't it? The Nemedians didn't hear a "Cimmerian" nor a "barbarian" accent, hence his Aquilonian must have been pretty good.

Edited by Axerules, 26 November 2008 - 06:02 AM.

Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#77 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

An excellent run-down of all the languages Conan could speak:

http://www.conan.com...0&hl=linguistic

#78 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

I also think that Conan was a natural linguist. He probably spoke some tongues better than others, depending on the time he spent in the country.

Something interesting:
THotD, chapter 7: "He wears Nemedian mail, but speaks with an Aquilonian accent."
Funny isn't it? The Nemedians didn't hear a "Cimmerian" nor a "barbarian" accent, hence his Aquilonian must have been pretty good.

Yep.   :)

So much for Ahnuldt's "barbarous accent" in the new movie. 

Actually, Arnie would kinda sound like a Nemedian hillbilly...   :P

#79 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

I remember from "Red Nails" that Conan had an intuitive understanding for the behaviour of animals and perhaps a spiritual bond with the giant iguana in that story. So I was thinking maybe this is a thing, that Conan understands "human" far better than most people because he can sense the intention and bodylanguage and then puzzle the meaning of the words they say faster therefore learning real quick.