1775 replies to this topic

#21 Nial_the_Smith

Nial_the_Smith

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

To keep in shape, my friends and I have set up a sort of fight club. We meet a few times a week and spar. We use mixed martial arts rules from UFC, Pride, Pain. It is a good workout.

We spend about 4-6 hours a week watching videos on technique and we practice that, and then we have matches. It works really well.

#22 Donnchadh Aravanta

Donnchadh Aravanta

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

Greetings everyone, I thought I'd make my presence known after lurking in the shadows for so long. I've been a fan of the Conan films for years, but now I'm trying to get into the books as well as I want to explore the wider world of Conan! :D

Back to the topic at hand, can anyone recommend fitness techniques for people on a super budget? I can't afford expensive gym equipment or gym memberships, but I'm after getting as fit as possible for when I go travelling in the New Year.

The idea of having a 'barbarian' physique is vastly appealing to me, I'm just wondering how possible it is for someone who is out of shape to get to that level?

Crossfit looks good but the sheer amount of equipment you seem to need is a bit daunting. :blink:

Regards

#23 Jery

Jery

Pleasure King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

Sure it's possible DA. You must just do push ups with various disposition of arms and squats with extra weight. It's excellent to install a bar. And eat 5 times a day small portions of food. And don't forget drinking more than 3 liters water a day :)

Edited by Jery, 14 May 2005 - 07:09 PM.

The Cimmerian made no attempt to match wits and intrigue with Thutmekri and his Shemitish partner, Zargheba. He knew that if Thutmekri won his point, he would insist on the instant banishment of his rival. There was but one thing for Conan to do: find the jewels before the king of Keshan made up his mind, and flee with them.
"Jewels of Gwahlur" by Robert E Howard

I've had me more dirty women than most men ever had
AC/DC Bad Boy Boogie & M E

#24 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:00 AM

Crossfit looks good but the sheer amount of equipment you seem to need is a bit daunting.  :blink:

Regards

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hint: Rocks are heavy and rope is long. ;)

#25 Donnchadh Aravanta

Donnchadh Aravanta

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:54 AM

Hint: Rocks are heavy and rope is long. ;)

:rolleyes: True enough, I guess I could set something up with that. I think my main concern was whether or not I could really reap the same benefits from non-gym training as I would in-gym. I've never really trained before and was looking for some pointers.

Thanks though, something that simple (the rocks and rope thing) never crossed my mind. :)

#26 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:43 PM

Check out Russian Kettlebell training w/ Pavel Tsatsoline www.dragondoor.com. This is the best trainng I've run across for practical warrior strength -- and it's a lot of fun. The kettlebells are a primitive chunk of iron, but they ain't cheap ? $100 a pop. But you can get just one ? recommend a 45# or 53 #and have a whole gym's worth of options.

#27 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

I remember when the first Nautilus machines came out, they were supposed to revolutionize weight-training! Now, trainers use stability balls and medecine balls. The kettlebells are along that same line of thought, except why pay for iron when you can dig up a rock out of your back yard?

#28 Snake

Snake

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:54 AM

As a guy who has coached most of his adult life, let me tell you the only way to consistently build big muscles is through progressive resistance weight training. You can build BIGGER muscles through sports, but to get the Arnold look you must lift and progressively increase the weight as your physique develops. To look like Arnbold though, you'll need the Barry Bonds cream from Valco which isn't worth it. I have professional wrestler friends who are just starting to pay the price now.

Sports: I have played football, basketball baseball, wrestling, karate (Shotokan and Isshynryu) and of these, the best by far for physique development is wrestling. I played rugby in college and that was a great cardio workout, but did not do much to build muslce mass. Its a great way to drop water pounds though.

Snake
All that night we sped beneath the hurtling moons of Mars, as strange a company as was ever foregathered upon any planet...

The Mastermind of Mars

Edgar Rice Burroughs

#29 nephron

nephron

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:34 AM

And what are the best sports to develop speed and coordination, as well as strength?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not so much into weightlifting, (though after reading this thread I'm seriously considering it) so I have no opinion on strength training.

Regarding speed and coordination Wing Chun Kung Fu is good stuff. I don't want to debate whether or not it's "Combat effective", (I think it is, others will disagree) but in terms of developing reflexes, speed and coordination, Wing Chun can't be beat.

Example: that Bruce Lee guy.

#30 Snake

Snake

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:05 AM

Wing Chun is a good basic martial art. But like all basic martial arts (my karate forms included ) it has its limits. And That is why Bruce Lee developed his own system, "Jeet Kun Do". What that emphasized was collecting the best techniques of the best arts, training like hell, and then getting after it!

I mean, in most fights, the bigger, stronger guys will win. And in martial arts, the stronger better conditioned athlete usually wins--given a roughly approximate equality of skill. Wing chun is a great starting point, but Lee realized the fultility of limiting ones-self. His motto was "If something works, use it!"

It is very sad to say, but steroids work very well. Turn on the World Wrestling Federation on Monday night and see what I mean. Folks, those bodies did not come to those guys naturally. The physiques are the result of a lot of hard work in the gym PLUS the juice. Dyanabol used to be the most popular roid. Then there was Anavar. Now there are more than you can count. The best of the new stuff is supposed to be human growth hormone extracts.

But take note: This stuff will kill you. Who remembers Denver Broncos All Pro Lyle Alzado? Or wrestler "Superstar" Billy Graham, to name just two men who paid the ultimate price to look that good?

If you want to live a long healthy life, stay as far away from roids as you can! Your liver especially will thank you!! Oh, and don't forget: your testicles will shrink, your head will grow, and you will develop a manic, aggressive personality. People will hate you!

You can develop a very nice fit physique naturally; just not the Dr. Moreau bulk of, say, a WWE wrestler. Stay away from roids!!!!!
All that night we sped beneath the hurtling moons of Mars, as strange a company as was ever foregathered upon any planet...

The Mastermind of Mars

Edgar Rice Burroughs

#31 Snake

Snake

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:08 AM

I forgot: Graham isn't dead--just badly crippled. Sorry guys., I don't want to sound like a Know-it-all, but I have been around this stuff since the Seventies. I don't want to see anyone get hurt by it.

The Mastermind of Mars

Edgar Rice Burroughs

#32 nephron

nephron

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

Wing Chun is a good basic martial art. But like all basic martial arts (my karate forms included ) it has its limits. And That is why Bruce Lee developed his own system, "Jeet Kun Do".? What that emphasized was collecting the best techniques of the best arts, training like hell, and then getting after it!

I mean, in most fights, the bigger, stronger guys will win. And in martial arts, the stronger better conditioned athlete usually wins--given a roughly approximate equality of skill. Wing chun is a great starting point, but Lee realized the fultility of limiting ones-self. His motto was "If something works, use it!"

It is very sad to say, but steroids work very well. Turn on the World Wrestling Federation on Monday night and see what I mean. Folks, those bodies did not come to those guys naturally.? The physiques are the result of a lot of hard work in the gym PLUS the juice. Dyanabol used to be the most popular roid. Then there was Anavar. Now there are more than you can count.? The best of the new stuff is supposed to be human growth hormone extracts.

But take note: This stuff will kill you. Who remembers Denver Broncos All Pro Lyle Alzado? Or wrestler "Superstar" Billy Graham, to name just two men who paid the ultimate price to look that good?

If you want to live a long healthy life, stay as far away from roids as you can!? Your liver especially will thank you!!? Oh, and don't forget: your testicles will shrink, your head will grow, and you will develop a manic, aggressive personality. People will hate you!

You can develop a very nice fit physique naturally; just not the Dr. Moreau bulk of, say, a WWE wrestler. Stay away from roids!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*sigh* I tried to avoid this kind of discussion. Even used a disclaimer! All I said was that for devleoping speed, refexes, and coordination, W.C. couldn't be beat, and I stand by it!

I know Im the one that brought up Bruce Lee in the first place so I suppose I brought this on myself. I brought him up because he was, by anyones standards an extremely fast and coordinated guy, and thus a good example of what wing chun training can do for a person. But when ya bring up Bruce an W.C., ya always hear something like: "Wing Chun-is-only-good-if-you-add-stuff-to-it"

Bruce thought W.C. had its limits because he never learned all of it. Bruce only learned the first two boxing forms (there's 3..the Small Idea, Bridge Seeking, and Thrusting Fingers) and only part of the wooden dummy form.

The reason he created Jeet Kune Do was that he had moved to Seattle where his instructor wasn't, and in order to grow as a martial artist, he had to add to his wing chun. Is it any surprise that he added western techniques like boxing while he was in America?

Incidentally, he really didn't add that much. He added some boxing techniques like hooks and he added high kicks. (the hook puch is part of W.C., but Bruce never made it that far into the system)

And (this is very important to this discussion) he never threw out any Wing Chun! Every principle he picked up from W.C is now part of Jeet Kune Do!!

In fact the very name "Jeet Kune Do" was lifted from W.C.
"Jeet Kune" is the name of a technique/principle/whatever-you-wanna-call-it from Wing Chun. Means "Intercepting Fist"

I don't mean to get preachy, but I've heard this "Wing Chun isn't complete; it's only good if you add stuff from other styles-Bruce Lee said so!"-thing sooo many times, and it's an over-simplified view. People just assume he was a MASTER and don't realize that not only was Bruce Lee NOT a wing chun master, he never even learned the whole system.

Regarding eveything else, I agree 100%! 'Roids just isn't worth it. What kind of warped person would sacrifice their balls for the sake of a few million bucks?! I'd rather have my balls and not be able to compete in the UFC! My balls will always have priority, and are worth more to me than all the money and fame you could ever hope to imagine.

Edited by nephron, 30 June 2005 - 10:31 AM.

#33 Jery

Jery

Pleasure King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

If you want to live a long healthy life, stay as far away from roids as you can!  Your liver especially will thank you!!  Oh, and don't forget: your testicles will shrink, your head will grow, and you will develop a manic, aggressive personality. People will hate you!

I totally agree! I know guys who take steroids. I don't meddle in their balls - it's enough to know what's going on a trip with them. When his girlfriend isn't happy after a night with him, hearing me and my girl all night long ********* :P

Beside, I think guys who are taking roids, can't then cross an intellectual line - they can't change thoughts. They stop on one level and can't move forward.

But on the other hand - look at the famous people who took roids - they can handle it (but we'll never know the costs). B)
The Cimmerian made no attempt to match wits and intrigue with Thutmekri and his Shemitish partner, Zargheba. He knew that if Thutmekri won his point, he would insist on the instant banishment of his rival. There was but one thing for Conan to do: find the jewels before the king of Keshan made up his mind, and flee with them.

#34 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:53 PM

Coordination refers to the ability to move your arms and legs independently at will. This I am quoting almost verbatim from a textbook on physical training.

In my martial art experience (which includes JKD), the straightest arrow to the goal of coordination is accomplished by learning and doing tai chi. No, it's not fast, and it's definitely Asian, but you try it and you will understand.

Another martial art that is easy to learn and would - in my opinion - help you to approximate Conan's style swordfighting (from the book) is escrima, also known as kali or arnis de mano. The weapons are much shorter than a Cimmerian broadsword, but the principles are there.

#35 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:19 PM

Just make sure you keep it going, guys:
:blink: Posted Image
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#36 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

Man, that is something to think about the next time I consider going into American politics! :)

Arnold seems to be falling down on his aging reversal routines.

#37 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

damn Mikey,

you beat me to it... Ive been trying to get a hold of that pic for a while for posting.

Its a damn shame to see what happens when a bodybuilder loses it like that.. Govenorship or not poor Arnie is in no shape to return to the Conan role for sure.

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#38 Jery

Jery

Pleasure King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:08 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember the famous chest of Arnold? With glass on water on it that didn't fall down? Well steroids...

#39 nephron

nephron

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:50 PM

Coordination refers to the ability to move your arms and legs independently at will. This I am quoting almost verbatim from a textbook on physical training.

In my martial art experience (which includes JKD), the straightest arrow to the goal of coordination is accomplished by learning and doing tai chi. No, it's not fast, and it's definitely Asian, but you try it and you will understand.

Another martial art that is easy to learn and would - in my opinion - help you to approximate Conan's style swordfighting (from the book) is escrima, also known as kali or arnis de mano. The weapons are much shorter than a Cimmerian broadsword, but the principles are there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you define coodination as "the ability to move your arms and legs independently at will" then the most coordinated people in all the world are drummers! I dabble a little bit (god am I terrible drummer) and it's SOOO much more difficult than any sort of martial art precisely because each limb has to be doing different stuff at different times. It'll give you those Popeye forearms too!

Edited by nephron, 30 June 2005 - 09:50 PM.

#40 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:28 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll bet good money that you didn't find that at TAFs. ;)