1781 replies to this topic

#1141 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

LOL if mom knew about half of the things I got up to...

DROC

#1142 JainkhulTamhair

JainkhulTamhair

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hey , just look who's on this book :
Posted Image

#1143 Herk

Herk

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:20 AM

You know, of course, that Conan would be what is called, genetically elite.

#1144 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Welcome Herk! Hope you stick around. At least introduce yourself! :)

#1145 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

No doubt he would, he comes from a warrior tribe made up exclusively of big scary dudes. Good for him. That said, anyone who uses genetics as an excuse is destined not to succeed as they're looking for excuses rather than solutions.

Throughout history of the world and especially sports, it's not the most genetically gifted, but the hardest workers, the men determined to overcome their shortcomings.

Poor genetics makes things harder, which teaches you the value of hard work and sets you up for greater succes.

DROC

#1146 Herk

Herk

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

Welcome Herk! Hope you stick around. At least introduce yourself! :)

Hi all. Thx for the welcome. When is that "Frost Giant's Daughter" movie going to be finished?
As for me. I'm a white male. Fifty two years old. Love Conan and many other fantasy books. Waiting for the last "Wheel of Time" book to come out now. I've been working out steadily for 40 years and fooling around with it before that.

#1147 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Let's stick to the topic of the thread from now on, OK?

#1148 Herk

Herk

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

Let's stick to the topic of the thread from now on, OK?

I hope your not refering to my comments. You asked me to introduce myself.

#1149 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

I think he meant your comment about Frost Giant's daughter, there's another thread about that, this one is about picking up heavy things and throwing them about and stuff :P

DROC

#1150 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

I finished my Maximal strength building experiment and now the game is to get faster and more explosive with good conditioning. Using the Enter the Kettlebell Program(modifed to fit with my martial arts workouts) and going from there.
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#1151 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

How did the experiment go? Can you give details on what you did and what kind of results you got?

I've just started a 2xweek 5/3/1 with my own accessory work including mostly unilateral and explosive movements. I'm not doing any MA at the moment, but playing rugby a couple of times a week. Which is almost a Martial Art :P

DROC

#1152 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 is one of the best starting powerlifting programs. I haven't tried it yet but did something similar in the form of 5 sets 5 reps or 3 sets 3 reps or 10 sets of 1 and so on. The thing is very simple. after the general warming up, yu do one or two lighter sets of let's say 10 reps and than do maximal weight you can handle for 5 x 5 or 3 x 3 or something like that. The thing with maximal strength is to do a maximal weight for low number of reps 1 or 2 or 3 or pyramidal such as 5,3,1 and such combinations.

After a whole winter of doing the raw strength work, I "fry" it now with some running, some gymnastics bodyweight work and rep outs with dumbells such as 4 sets to the failure. My bodyweight is fluctuating around 220 pounds but feeling good with it.
The thing is that people who are desperatelly trying to pack on size and strength don't want to do any aerobic work or bodyweight calisthenics or cut up because they fear they could lose some hard gained size and by doing so they actually don't reach some levels they could if they clean their excess fat a bit and shock their muscles in a different way. For example, I did a 374 pound squat and a 396 pounds in deadlift this year and for a first few days I started running and all those gymnastics, I couldn't do a shit. In a while, when my body adapted to the new kind of effort, all of this acumulated power started to coming into play.

Plus, the weather is really good and running through the forrest, doing some stonelifting, monkeying on the chin up bar and on the paralel bars is a real pleasure.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#1153 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, I would normally have done the heavy strength work in winter but I got kinda busy with work and kids and couldn't devote myself to it properly so I'm doing it now.

Most of my conditioning will come from Rugby, but I'll probably throw some hill-sprints and calisthenics in there too, just because I like them.

DROC

#1154 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

remember guys oatmeal pancakes is the BREAKFAST OF CIMMERIANS!!! LOL

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#1155 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Meh, I prefer meat and eggs in the morning. Usually bacon, sometimes steak.

DROC

#1156 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

remember guys oatmeal pancakes is the BREAKFAST OF CIMMERIANS!!! LOL

It's certainly what historical Celts ate. :)

#1157 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

How did the experiment go? Can you give details on what you did and what kind of results you got?

I've just started a 2xweek 5/3/1 with my own accessory work including mostly unilateral and explosive movements. I'm not doing any MA at the moment, but playing rugby a couple of times a week. Which is almost a Martial Art :P

DROC

Sure.

It was not much but chasing a bench number. I wanted to bench over 200# multiple times.
I started with a 5x5 routine @180# and every couple weeks I would add 5-10#'s

I stopped at 220# 5x5

I just wanted to see how big I could get the bench and at that level my pecs got well developed.

Funny thing is now I think I am feeling them more with the Turkish Get ups.
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#1158 RedDogDarren

RedDogDarren

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Cool topic.

Let's see......
I was inspired superheroes as depicted in comics, figured out at 10 that the way to get that look was bodybuilding, my parents got me a membership to a hardcore gym at 13, competed in 2 bodybuilding shows, won both and qualified for the NPC nationals as a teenager (19), and joined the USMC to work on personal lethality. All steroid free so that limited my size quite a bit.

Sadly I couldn't get any taller than 5'10". :)

#1159 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Cool topic.

Let's see......
I was inspired superheroes as depicted in comics, figured out at 10 that the way to get that look was bodybuilding, my parents got me a membership to a hardcore gym at 13, competed in 2 bodybuilding shows, won both and qualified for the NPC nationals as a teenager (19), and joined the USMC to work on personal lethality. All steroid free so that limited my size quite a bit.

Sadly I couldn't get any taller than 5'10". :)

Nice. When I was a youngfella I thought bodybuilding was the way forward. I followed a bodybuilding style routine it for a little while (badly) but never got anywhere near the level you clearly got to, more as a hobby. I have since changed my routine for it to be based on performance rather than aesthetics, but have a lot of respect for anyone willing to put in the amount of work and sacrifice involved in competitive bodybuilding.

DROC

#1160 RedDogDarren

RedDogDarren

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Thanks DROC. My issues now (at 42) are working around the inconvenience of sports injuries. A separated shoulder/broken arm from motocross racing, 3 major concussions (motocross/streetbike/downhill ski), hyper-extended knee (motocross) followed by a torn ACL (baseball) in the same knee.

I'm actually pretty intact and pain free and I give credit to some of the biological armor I built when I was younger. I blame myself for the torn ACL for not listening to my body when it was in a severely depleted condition and still thinking I was invincible. Of course I like to say I ran so fast that my ACL couldn't take the strain. :)