1761 replies to this topic

#1161 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

The injuries are something that can really bug you in your later years and there's a bit of a problem with sport or any kind of physical activity.

If you train just to look good, stay healthy and strong in some reasonable terms, you can go pretty much injury free but it's hard to expect some limit pushing gains both in bodymass and, or strength. I mean, many of the workouts are driven by that will to blast some extra energy out, or to push your limits and to make progress either in the amount of load you're using, the number of reps and sets, a new more demanding exercises, moves and so on.

In some way, to reach your absolute max, you must be driven with some amount of insanity to break the plateau and these things can takes it's tool. You can be lucky enough not to get any serious injury or to stay strong and healthy at the old age such as Jack LaLane for example. Had he didn't catch pneumonia, I bet he'd still could do his workouts way over the 100 years old. But there's always some amount of risk.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#1162 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

How did the experiment go? Can you give details on what you did and what kind of results you got?

I've just started a 2xweek 5/3/1 with my own accessory work including mostly unilateral and explosive movements. I'm not doing any MA at the moment, but playing rugby a couple of times a week. Which is almost a Martial Art :P

DROC

Sure.

It was not much but chasing a bench number. I wanted to bench over 200# multiple times.
I started with a 5x5 routine @180# and every couple weeks I would add 5-10#'s

I stopped at 220# 5x5

I just wanted to see how big I could get the bench and at that level my pecs got well developed.

Funny thing is now I think I am feeling them more with the Turkish Get ups.

How did the experiment go? Can you give details on what you did and what kind of results you got?

I've just started a 2xweek 5/3/1 with my own accessory work including mostly unilateral and explosive movements. I'm not doing any MA at the moment, but playing rugby a couple of times a week. Which is almost a Martial Art :P

DROC

Sure.

It was not much but chasing a bench number. I wanted to bench over 200# multiple times.
I started with a 5x5 routine @180# and every couple weeks I would add 5-10#'s

I stopped at 220# 5x5

I just wanted to see how big I could get the bench and at that level my pecs got well developed.

Funny thing is now I think I am feeling them more with the Turkish Get ups.

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this after asking you for details. Are we talking lb or kg there? If it's lb 220 bench for 5x5 isnt bad, if it's kg WOW.

I'd say you're probably feeling them more because you're using them differently, at different angles and intensities and all that. The bench hits the pecs, shoulders, triceps etc, but always in the same direction. Turkish getups demand more stability, so they require different muscles and different types of movement.

DROC

Thanks DROC. My issues now (at 42) are working around the inconvenience of sports injuries. A separated shoulder/broken arm from motocross racing, 3 major concussions (motocross/streetbike/downhill ski), hyper-extended knee (motocross) followed by a torn ACL (baseball) in the same knee.

I'm actually pretty intact and pain free and I give credit to some of the biological armor I built when I was younger. I blame myself for the torn ACL for not listening to my body when it was in a severely depleted condition and still thinking I was invincible. Of course I like to say I ran so fast that my ACL couldn't take the strain. :)

Ah, if we all knew when we were 20 what we know at 35, eh?

And even if we knew, would we have the good sense to do things differently or would we still take silly risks and depend on youth and vitality to recover?

Muscle Mass can certainly help to avoid injuries, as can the right amount of flexibility and endurance. But when we play silly sports (in your case motocross and street biking, in mine combat sports, mountain-biking and rugby) we have to live with the fact that we're gonna get injured.

Munthasem's right, if we all trained just to look good and stay relatively healthy we could likely keep going for years longer... but where's the fun in that? Oh and, chicks dig scars :D

DROC

#1163 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yeah just .lbs

Not trying to get huge. Just power and speed.
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#1164 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Still, not bad.

DROC

#1165 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

I will let you know when I get to overhead pressing the 106 lb KB.

;)
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#1166 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

Okay, this will get you going:

#1167 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

remember guys oatmeal pancakes is the BREAKFAST OF CIMMERIANS!!! LOL

It's certainly what historical Celts ate. :)

Yup and we all know how much of a bad a$% they where in combat :)

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#1168 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

Okay, this will get you going:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7I7iasuIdw

That's a cool video. For me, the best part is seeing people helping each other through it. That's probably the reason I'll do a Tough Mudder or a Spartan Race.

DROC

#1169 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

HELP!!! I need to improve my grip strength. I was doing deadlifts a short while ago and my hands were giving out, I know they're the limiting factor in my DL right now.

What are your favourite exercises for improving grip strength for deadlifts?

Thanks

DROC

#1170 RedDogDarren

RedDogDarren

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

HELP!!! I need to improve my grip strength. I was doing deadlifts a short while ago and my hands were giving out, I know they're the limiting factor in my DL right now.

Thanks

DROC

I found slightly too heavy medium high rep shrugs work wonders. Use a weight that's hard to get 10 or 12 reps even with a bit of cheating. When the forearms give out and you drop the bar onto the safeties, wait 2 seconds, re-grip the bar for a couple of cheats, and repeat until you can't even grip a pencil.

Do a few sets like this, the forearm pump should resemble Popeye, and you'll see fast results.

#1171 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Try this. Put your forearms together and hold a barbell in both hands.
Lay your forearms at the end of a bench so your hands hang over the end. I usually straddle the bench for this.
While you grip the bar, lower it slowly by un-bending your wrists.
Then, at the bottom of that movement, slightly release your grip of the bar, as far as you can without releasing the bar completely. The bar will basically be at your fingertips.
Then bring it back up and flex your wrist.
Then take it back down again.
This will pump you up!

#1172 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

I found slightly too heavy medium high rep shrugs work wonders. Use a weight that's hard to get 10 or 12 reps even with a bit of cheating. When the forearms give out and you drop the bar onto the safeties, wait 2 seconds, re-grip the bar for a couple of cheats, and repeat until you can't even grip a pencil.

Do a few sets like this, the forearm pump should resemble Popeye, and you'll see fast results.

Thanks

What do you mean by "Slightly too heavy medium high rep"

Try this. Put your forearms together and hold a barbell in both hands.
Lay your forearms at the end of a bench so your hands hang over the end. I usually straddle the bench for this.
While you grip the bar, lower it slowly by un-bending your wrists.
Then, at the bottom of that movement, slightly release your grip of the bar, as far as you can without releasing the bar completely. The bar will basically be at your fingertips.
Then bring it back up and flex your wrist.
Then take it back down again.
This will pump you up!

Wrist curls, good idea. I haven't been doing any accesory work this last while, just heavy Max Effort and some athletic work (jumping, sprinting, lunges etc)

DROC

#1173 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

That thing Red Dog described looks fine.

I recently managed to get some time together and started on some Oly gymnastic basics such as pull ups, various push ups, planches under some various weird angles and so on, a lot of ab and flexibility work, one legged squats, step ups e.t.c. Regardless of what i can squat, deadlift or row, regardless of big weights and reps, sets, mind muscle, forced reps and so on, this gymnastic stuff is a killer. And it's fun to do. You put the paralettes, get some makeshift rings for various pull ups, some elastic tube work... it is really a lot more like a child's play leveled up a few degrees.

Now as far as grip concerns, the thing is that you need a sustained clench at maximum, not a huge amount of squeezing, so holding the barbell over a small distance such as high rack pull as Red Dog said could be really helpfull.

Also a thing that would blast your forearm is fat bar work. Try doing this rack pull with a thick bar. Roll a towel or some cardboard over the bar so that is thick to handle and do pulls with it. But roll it hard so it's not squeezy and soft, just thick.

Edited by Munthasem, 17 April 2012 - 10:10 PM.

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#1174 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

I used rings and parallettes for a while, and will do again. Right now though, I'm concentrating on getting bigger and stronger, at least for a few months, probably longer.

I think I need to work my grip endurance, as it was after the 3rd rep that my grip started to go and I dropped the bar on the 5th rep. I was pretty pissed about it as I'm following Wendler's 5/3/1 and it was the last set where you need to go 5+ (Week 1, I'm on my second cycle). I know I could increase the weight for lower reps, and that's what I'll have to do next week and I don't feel it would be a problem. But I'll need to work on my grip before I go around again.

DROC

#1175 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

For grip and forearm strength I recommend fencing, especially saber fencing. Basically, you are pinching the hilt of a one and a half pound sword between thumb and forefinger, while manipulating the sword at high speed for a couple of hours with the subsidiary fingers. Sounds sissy? It's lots of fun and gave me forearms like Popeye, unpumped. 45 years later I can still haul a 10-lb grocery bag with a single finger, any finger. 20 lbs with the strong fingers.

Edited by Ironhand, 18 April 2012 - 01:19 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#1176 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Thanks

DROC

Try using the Farmers Walk

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#1177 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Soooo what is everyones current workouts? I have switched to the following 5 day a week workout..yes you read that right 5 day a wek workout:

Monday

two hands snatch 2x3
two hands clean and jerk 2x3
two hands continental to shoulders 2x2
two hands curl 2x2
bent press 2x3

tuesday
curl and press 2x2
clean and press 2x4
one hand dumbbell swing 2x3
stifflegged dead lift 2x4
bent press 2x3

thursday
curl and press 2x2
one hand snatch 2x2
one hand clean and jerk 2x2
one hand dead lift 2x2
squat 2x5
bent press 2x3

friday
clean and press 2x4
one hand dumbbell swing 2x3
the cruicfix(aka muscling out) with dumbbells 2x6
bentpress 2x3
grip work

saturday
curl and press 2x2
bentpress 2x3
two hand snatch 2x3
two hand sclean and jerk 2x3
front squat 2x5
supine press 2x5

For those who don't know what a bent lift is heres a video

Edited by Konorg, 24 April 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#1178 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

The "B" alternatives look like Greek statues.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#1179 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Looks like he's pressing himself down rather than pressing the weight up. ;)

#1180 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Looks like he's pressing himself down rather than pressing the weight up. ;)

it's a very technical lift and yes the bar does stay in teh same position as you bend over.
My goal is to hit 400 pound in the bent press with either hand.