11 replies to this topic

#1 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:32 AM

For those of you who have seen The Whole Wide World film about Howard's life, and have never had the chance to see his house in real life, here is a great link from a virtual tour of his house that I found. This is his bedroom, where he typed his classic epics of fantasy:

http://www.rehupa.com/house_bob.htm

#2 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

oh dear,
no wonder Bob was so depressed after living 35 years in that small spartan bedroom. :(

thats a big hunk of old typewriter. but if it aint able to 'copy, paste, + delete', then its no good to me..[ i'd just melt it down + get ma grampa to make it into a 'replica Cimmerian broadsword'.. + hang it on the wall..
i wonder how much more a collector might pay for the 'sword' that 'hacked' out all those great adventures?!? ] ;)
--
thanks Korak. interesting but sad photos.
:)

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#3 Jery

Jery

Pleasure King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:09 AM

Look what a mightfully tool the human imagination can be. Living in such puritan circumstances and creating so unforgettable works... :)
The Cimmerian made no attempt to match wits and intrigue with Thutmekri and his Shemitish partner, Zargheba. He knew that if Thutmekri won his point, he would insist on the instant banishment of his rival. There was but one thing for Conan to do: find the jewels before the king of Keshan made up his mind, and flee with them.
"Jewels of Gwahlur" by Robert E Howard

I've had me more dirty women than most men ever had
AC/DC Bad Boy Boogie & M E

#4 alex

alex

Barbarian by birth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:44 AM

Makes me want to hit Howard days that much stronger. Thanks for the ReHUPA link, Korak.
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king.

- "The Road of Kings"

#5 Chett Darkforest

Chett Darkforest

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:42 AM

Damn Howard has an even bigger room than I do!

#6 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:52 AM

My computer/art room is in what used to be a porch that was later enclosed to make a bedroom, just as Bob's room was! It's very tiny--my queen-sized bed went wall-to-wall, only a couple inches on each side, so that I had to climb in over the end to get in it. My dresser fit at the other end of the room, with maybe a couple of feet between it and the end of the bed. Also, like Bob's room, mine has the leftover window, except that mine looks into the kitchen rather than another bedroom. Eventually, I moved my bed and dresser into the living room and my computer and art supplies into the porch/bedroom, which allows me more space to move around. It's amazing how little space you need to live in and not need much else. The trick is to not collect a bunch of dust-collecting junk!
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#7 RafaelKayanan

RafaelKayanan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

Here's a pic taken by a photographer friend of mine back in 1999.

Posted Image

#8 RafaelKayanan

RafaelKayanan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:36 AM

Typewriter replica on display.Posted Image

#9 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

Very nice, evocative snapshots!

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#10 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing, Rafael! I took some pics during my trip last June, but this one looks better.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#11 heartbreakkid19

heartbreakkid19

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

Back in 2009 I made my pilgrimage to Cross Plains and attended Howard Days. The ladies who did the tours were very insightful and they’re always excited to share Howard Lore. One of the interesting bits of information I walked away with was that yes it was a small room but during the time this was one of the nicest homes around. Things like an electric stove were very progressive. So where the house was not plantation like Howard’s mother wanted, it was considered comfortable for the time.

#12 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

Thinking about that small, cramped bedroom - perhaps the ideal place from which to launch on fantastic voyages of escape.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject