99 replies to this topic

#81 grim cimmerian

grim cimmerian

Saturnine Slayer, Crag Climber, Marauder of the Mountains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:30 AM

Been a Conan fan for a number of years now yet my whole fan base is on the movie CTB.? Since I've never read any of REH work it the only incarnation of Conan I have to go off.
Just wondering is anyone else in the forum in the same boat as me?
I keep telling myself I will get round to getting a copy but being my last year at uni time is limited for non uni reading.? But I will get hold of copies.?
Will my image of Conan be destroyed or enhanced?
Did anyone get into Conan via the movie then read the books?
If so does Millius's Conan still stick in the mind or is REH Conan a much stronger character?
Still WHEN I do read REH the picture in my minds eye of Conan will be Arny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well good questions. letsee here
I came from the movies first, then the Decamp edited howard and pastiches (paperback compilation books), to the newer Tor pastiches (Paperback novels), to Howards original Conan. I have only a few Comics of Conan.
I love all versions mostly. although there are somethings that one might have that the others do not that I like or dislike.
It would be very worth your while if you are a fan of the genre (and the movie Conan for that matter) to take up reading the books. I highly recommend exploring where the character came from with Howard, then reading the pastiches, comics, etc and see what others have added/detracted from this original concept. It has been an interesting experience to me. I sometimes see Arnold as Conan but I like Frazettas paintings (on the covers of the old compilation/edited versions) very much too. I also love Howard's description of his character. I have combined them in my head so to speak.

Sure, the novels are the starting point, but every other take on the character are worth watching for what they are : vision and interpretation of our Cimmerian hero. And thus, reading the novel will give you another view on the character....

......And so, if you like Conan, you'll surely enjoy reading more adventures from him. Sure, you'll see differencies, but that's what fun to see, feel and enjoy when you look the legacy of a character that have become an icon. In any case that's what I like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got into Conan from the movie.? .......? I think, if you are open-minded enough, you can enjoy both variations.? It depends on what you like about Conan, as to whether the books will be better.? .............Regardless, you will take what you will from the stories.? Don't be swayed by ANY opinions you read here.? Judge them yourself.? That's the only way you can enjoy them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by grim cimmerian, 08 November 2005 - 02:32 AM.

"WOE UNTO MY FOEMEN, PITY THEIR WIDOWS AND KIN."
All flatlanders are soft and frail, I enjoy those qualities in their women.
"By CROM if you so much as touch your hilt I'll split you from crown to crotch and see if your guts are as yellow as I think they are!"

#82 grim cimmerian

grim cimmerian

Saturnine Slayer, Crag Climber, Marauder of the Mountains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:35 AM

as far as the flame war over the movies, kinda missed the intent of the guy's thread topic didn't you? He asked some questions in his post, not whether or not you like the movie. Oh I see, he made the mistake of mentioning the movies so we have to rehash that same old argument again for the umpteenth time.
"WOE UNTO MY FOEMEN, PITY THEIR WIDOWS AND KIN."
All flatlanders are soft and frail, I enjoy those qualities in their women.
"By CROM if you so much as touch your hilt I'll split you from crown to crotch and see if your guts are as yellow as I think they are!"

#83 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:05 AM

I agree that posts on this thread should be pretty much limited to answering the original questions. I tried real hard to do exactly that, because the last thing I would want to do is get Berserker so po'd that he would end up not reading REH's stories after all.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#84 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:14 AM

For the record , as much as I love Frazetta , I believe even 'HIS' Conan is lacking , though it's close !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sacrilege!!! Okay, just kidding :P TYO

I agree that posts on this thread should be pretty much limited to answering the original questions.  I tried real hard to do exactly that, because the last thing I would want to do is get Berserker so po'd that he would end up not reading REH's stories after all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guilty. And I agree. I recommend Berserker grab a book and see what the fuss is all about. Like I said earlier, I guarantee you'll enjoy it.
"Their present king is the most renowned warrior among the western nations. He is an outlander, an adventurer who seized the crown by force during a time of civil strife, strangling King Namedides with his own hands, upon the very throne. His name is Conan, and no man can stand before him in battle." ~ Orastes, 'The Hour Of The Dragon'

"Damned degenerates!" ~ Conan 'Xuthal Of The Dusk'

#85 Berserker

Berserker

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:48 PM

Well people thanks to budgie I'll be in possesion of some REH material very soon and I promise to inform you of what I think very soon!
"In battle I'd rather face 10 men protecting there families and homes, than 1 with nothing to loose."

"You first smell your enemies breakfast on his breath when you clash, then a second time when you empty his guts onto the battle field."

"An enemies blood tastes sweeter than a 1000 honey covered whores."

Posted Image

The boys are back in town!

#86 dr Bo

dr Bo

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:18 PM

Well people thanks to budgie I'll be in possesion of some REH material very soon and I promise to inform you of what I think very soon!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See Berserker, the film discussion usually get that far in here!

Have a good read.

#87 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just doing my bit to spread the word :D

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#88 Lionmane

Lionmane

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:12 AM

I strongly suggest reading the original REH tales. If you want, read some of the pastiche and LSdC stuff, too. And some of the comics. Then you can form your own opinion on all the various Conan representations floating around out there.

( Personally, IMHO, stick with the REH material, maybe some of the comics, and skip the LSdC crap. ;) )

Ok, I'm biased, I got into Conan via the stories, and quickly took to the REH tales.....but seriously, check it all out , see what you like .
"There They Wait In Fear, With Swords In Feeble Hands,
With Dreams To Be A King, First One Should Be A Man"

- MANOWAR

#89 Cromsbowman

Cromsbowman

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

Hi,
I have Conan books but have only read the DH comics, because I love them I don't want to read the books then look at the comics and think they are just ok,
Is this wrong of me??? I have read the Age of Conan books like Legend of Kern, Heretic of Stygia which I loved and the other one's which were OK.
But never the Real stuff.....
Do you think I should just say Crom and jump in??????

#90 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

Yell "Crom!" and jump in.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#91 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

Definately not. You did the right thing by staying away from the original stories. As you can tell by reading the remarks of the numerous fans on this site, those of us who have read the original stories have little or no interest in the comic book adaptations, or Conan in any other media for that matter. The comics obviously mean a lot to you. They're magical, and if REH were alive today, he definately would not want that magical experience ruined by having you read the stories in his own words, they way he intended them to be read. You'll definately be better off with just reading comic books and pastiches.

And I would stay away from the Marvel reprints as well, if I were you. Barry Windsor Smith and John Buscema's beautiful artwork could potentially make you think that the DK's are just "ok" as well.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#92 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hi,
I have Conan books but have only read the DH comics, because I love them I don't want to read the books then look at the comics and think they are just ok,
Is this wrong of me??? I have read the Age of Conan books like Legend of Kern, Heretic of Stygia which I loved and the other one's which were OK.

I don't know what you're waiting for...my guess is that if you read them, you will only appreciate the character more. I was initially introduced to Conan through Marvel Comics' "Conan the Barbarian", then later in "The Savage Sword of Conan", then when I was old enough to see bare female flesh on the screen, I watched the movie. It is only in the past 6 to 7 years that I finally took the interest to read the original Howard stories. Sure, it changed my perception of the character a bit...for the better! I don't know about all of the pastiches, I've only read a few and most of them pale in comparison to Howard's stuff. Anyways, having the books and not reading them because you like the comics is about as practical as having a Corvette in your garage under a sheet because you'd rather drive an Oldsmobile.

#93 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

If you've already bought them you might as well read them. Howard's originals are never surpassed. I think you'll enjoy the stories.
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#94 PFunkJAzz

PFunkJAzz

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

So you've read the pastiches and adaptations, but not the originals?
Man that's like preferring masturbation because sex means you have to talk to girls and they're just "ok".
Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!

Edited by PFunkJAzz, 28 May 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#95 Cromsbowman

Cromsbowman

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:53 PM

I know that it was a mad Q and everyone on here would push for me to read them, with the jokes and all, I will start right away reading them.....CROM!!!!!

#96 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

I know that it was a mad Q and everyone on here would push for me to read them, with the jokes and all, I will start right away reading them.....CROM!!!!!

Yayyy!!! And once you read them, the comics will just seem to be OK, but you won't care, because you WILL HAVE READ REH's REAL CONAN and you will have him in your brain.

#97 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

I started Conan with Dark Horse comics and i liked them. I liked Busiek,Nord issues.

Then i read REH stories and didnt go after the pastiches which didnt make sense to me. You want the real creator,not the copycats.

Let just say that REH is now my alltime favorite writer and Conan is a character like no other to me. I dont even want to read more comics until i have read and re-read Conan stories a few times.

Comics arent similar at all. They are good in their medium. Its very different reading the real Conan and his creator whose prose,storytelling ability is legendary.

Edited by Libaax, 02 June 2009 - 01:43 AM.

#98 BizarroFett

BizarroFett

Ser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

you know what, i've read the original REH work, and i still love me some Savage Age of Conan comics. i look at things as what they are. fun stories. yes i dig me the REH stuff more than the rest, but i also enjoy Conan in other media as well. as for the DH comics, mmmmm they're just OK.

#99 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

You know, I'm glad you weren't serious!
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#100 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:37 AM

So.....? :unsure:

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.