21 replies to this topic

#1 Anxiety

Anxiety

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:54 AM

What ever happened to Subotai? He survived the first film, so why wasn't he brought back for the sequel? Personally I think he is better in every way than Malak was. So I was wondering if there was a reason for his dissapearance.

#2 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:38 AM

Pretty much everyone who went to see CTD for the first time was asking that same question.

#3 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:04 AM

He reached the Western Ocean and became a surfer, dude. I think he would have been a threat if he'd been in the sequel; he would have figured out the plot instantly and killed everyone. Even if he hadn't he would have still killed Malek. :lol:

#4 Anxiety

Anxiety

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:36 AM

So there is no real explanation for his absence? Oh well. Thanks for the info.

#5 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was there ever a book adaptation of Conan the Destroyer like Decamps Conan the Barbarian? Maybe a reason was given in the book why Subotai was missing...

My thoughts:

Maybe Lions did eat him...

Or he married King Osrick's daughter...

Perhaps he opened a Sky & Wind religious chapter in Shem...

Or created a product "Food for Wolves" and sold it in the bazaars of Nemedia..

It's a good question Anxiety!

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#6 Mondas

Mondas

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:06 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He gorged himself on too much Black Lotus. Remember, it was Stygian, the best.
:)
I Don't Think You're Happy Enough.

#7 Zula

Zula

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

Actually, after a little plastic surgery, he managed to hang on through the ages. He's really the vizier from issue # 0, and boy is he miffed that he wasn't offered a part in CTD.
If Woody had gone straight to the Snowhawk Clan, this would never have happened.

#8 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 03:42 AM

Robert Jordan's CTD adaptation doesn't mention Subotai, from what I recall. At the end of DeCamp and Carter's adaptation of CTB, Conan and Subotai part ways. I think Conan said he was heading west and Subotai said he was heading east.

Too bad they didn't do a Subotai spin-off instead of Red Sonja.

Lopez is apparently living in Oregon making snowboards along with his line of surfboards. Guess that'll have to be our answer to "whataver happened to Subotai"; he lived happily ever after (can't say that about most of Conan's sidekicks).

#9 Mondas

Mondas

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:15 AM

Sounds like he's making surf boards for those Picts for when they invade Aquilonia :)

#10 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

What happened was...

A few days later, he rode through a thicket and stumbled upon a bunch of very strange men pointing early cassette tape players at bushes and shrubs and dressed in odd clothing; one in gold and black, another in blue and black - with really pointy ears. This one pointed at Subotai and told another dressed in red and black to 'stun him!' Subotai dispatched this one (because they always die) before the one dressed in gold and black shone a strange light on him.

When he awoke, he didn't remember who he was. The one dressed in gold and black told him his name was Sulu and there was a job waiting for him upstairs.
"Their present king is the most renowned warrior among the western nations. He is an outlander, an adventurer who seized the crown by force during a time of civil strife, strangling King Namedides with his own hands, upon the very throne. His name is Conan, and no man can stand before him in battle." ~ Orastes, 'The Hour Of The Dragon'

"Damned degenerates!" ~ Conan 'Xuthal Of The Dusk'

#11 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

If someone were to write a pastiche involving Subotai, who would be the owners of the rights? Surely not Paradox?

#12 Jaybird

Jaybird

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:47 AM

A Suboti spin-off could be incredible. I wounder what he would have eventually become, still a thief?, Noble?, rich?

#13 Mondas

Mondas

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:53 AM

A Suboti spin-off could be incredible. I wounder what he would have eventually become, still a thief?, Noble?, rich?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see Subeti becoming a noble after he is caught by a king for stealing. But because of his talents he isn't killed but instead forced to serve the king who becomes impressed with his skills, making him a noble after some incident where he thwarts an assassination on the king... ot something like that. :)

#14 Black Corsair

Black Corsair

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:51 AM

What happened was...

A few days later, he rode through a thicket and stumbled upon a bunch of very strange men pointing early cassette tape players at bushes and shrubs and dressed in odd clothing; one in gold and black, another in blue and black - with really pointy ears.? This one pointed at Subotai and told another dressed in red and black to 'stun him!'? Subotai dispatched this one (because they always die) before the one dressed in gold and black shone a strange light on him.

When he awoke, he didn't remember who he was.? The one dressed in gold and black told him his name was Sulu and there was a job waiting for him upstairs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

"Our continuing mission is to boldy crush our enemies and see them driven to where no man has been driven before!"

Edited by Black Corsair, 16 July 2005 - 12:52 AM.

#15 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:45 AM

If Conan the Marauder ever gets adapted into a film Subotai would fit well into the storyline.

#16 thestone

thestone

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

If the 3rd Conan movie does happen, maybe Subotai could be back in that. Personally, I'd also like to see some characters from the Destroyer back for the 3rd, but I see most fans on this board didn't seem to like the Destroyer very much.

#17 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, as far as non-Howard characters go, Subotai is amongst the best. I like his whatever-happens-happens attitude. The scene when they are running through fields sticks in my mind as pure beauty, and he was a great way to introduce audiences (and Arnold) to Hyborian age civilization. Lopez was well cast in the role, too.
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#18 Kail, or The Beekan

Kail, or The Beekan

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:33 AM

Yeah, as far as non-Howard characters go, Subotai is amongst the best.  I like his whatever-happens-happens attitude.  The scene when they are running through fields sticks in my mind as pure beauty, and he was a great way to introduce audiences (and  Arnold) to Hyborian age civilization.  Lopez was well cast in the role, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't like the film, but I thought Subotai was a good character. Gerry Lopez did a nice job with the role and didn't try to overplay it. In fact, he seemed to bring out the best in Arnold; when it was just the two of them together on screen Arnold seemed more relaxed and at ease, and not trying too hard to act.
I think I liked Subotai better because he WASN'T a Howard character, if that makes sense. I didn't have any pre-conceived ideas about him so I wasn't disappointed.

#19 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:47 AM

I think I liked Subotai better because he WASN'T a Howard character, if that makes sense. I didn't have any pre-conceived ideas about him so I wasn't disappointed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nicely said. We need more Subotais, less wheels of pain.
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#20 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:46 PM

He was certainly a character that wouldn't have been impossible in the Hyborian world, if that makes sense.