92 replies to this topic

#81 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:58 AM

Poitain was a bit of a weird one for me, I think I started out with a literal pronunciation "poy-tayn", but I've taken to "pwah-tyne" or "pwah-tahn" recently. I'm still not sure really.

You're probably right-- now I'll have to stop saying (or thinking) Poytane too!

Pwatane, Pwatane, Pwatane. So is it PWA-tane, or pwa-TANE?

You can tell I am from Arkansas. At least I'm not as bad as my comic shop guy-- he calls D'Arnot in the Tarzan stories DARN-not instead of D'arno.... but when he says BEE-lit for Belit, I cringe. Roy always taught us it was Bay-LEET! :lol:

BTW, I saw the excellent Michael Cacoyannis Iphegenia in Greek, with English subtitles, and her name is pronounced, not Iffa-geNIa, but rather, Iffy-HENia. Poor, sweet little Iffy-HENia, such a cute little actress.

#82 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

You're right, Nemed was a figure in the Irish myths, and that was "supposedly" how the term Nemedians came about.

...Delvers into the dark knowledge of the "forgotten" history of the Hyborian Age have other thoughts on the matter...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kortoso, I'm still waitin' for "other thoughts".

Well, you have had these thoughts alreadty, Deuce. You "kmow" that the Nemedians of Irish folklore came from the south, from a land called - uh - Nemedia. I believe you are familiar with it?

Hey Kortoso! :D Hey, I (kinda) know this one. ;) Moreso than "ichor". Actually,the geographical origin of the "followers of Nemed" is just a bit cloudy. Some say that they came from the North. MY point was that the author of "The Nemedian Chroncles" wasn't named "Nemedian". The chronicles might be named "Nemedian's Chronicles", otherwise. Or the "Chronicles of Nemedian". NOT the "Nemedian Chronicles". To be honest, I don't care (much) WHO gets credit (for authorship) as long as it's aknowledged (or at least, bandied about ;) ) that the "Chronicles" were written after the "rise of the Sons of Aryas". The idea that the "Chronicles" were actually written in "Nemedia" (Hyborian Age) is what I'm against. :)

BTW how do y'all pronounce "Poitain"? I give it a strict French pronuncation but what about the rest of you. Do you know that "putain" in French means "*****"? What fun!

We know, from his Junto stuff, that Howard had read James Branch Cabell. Cabell's Poictesme just might have been an influence on Howard. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#83 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

The idea that the "Chronicles" were actually written in "Nemedia" (Hyborian Age) is what I'm against. :)

I'd be curious to see your evidence.

#84 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

The idea that the "Chronicles" were actually written in "Nemedia" (Hyborian Age) is what I'm against. :)

If it was not written in Nemedia by Nemedians and for Nemedians, then the title means that it is the Chronicle of Nemedian history, but how anyone in our own ancient world found out about the Hyborian Age would be something of a mystery-- as would be the language that they are written in.

#85 TheNode

TheNode

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:07 AM

Poitain sounds Irish...like the Irish liquor?

#86 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:36 AM

Poitain sounds Irish...like the Irish liquor?

Hey Node! I managed to sample the (illegal) poteen when I stayed at Markree Castle (the management WASN'T responsible). Personally, I think that "Poitain" was an amalgamation of (Cabell's) Poitecsme, Aquitaine and Poitiers. Howard's description of that Aquilonian province definitely doesn't rule out any of those three.

REH does seem to have taken inspiration from Irish history/myth for the names "Tamar" and "Tarantia".

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#87 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:50 AM

Hey Kortoso! Here's my "evidence", such as it is...

"Know, oh prince, that between the years in which the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas..."

Is someone going to seriously argue that "the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas" doesn't refer to the period AFTER the fall of the Hyborian Age?

If so, how could a "Nemedian Chronicler" write such a thing down?

Just curious... :)

#88 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:47 AM

Is someone going to seriously argue that "the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas" doesn't refer to the period AFTER the fall of the Hyborian Age?

If so, how could a "Nemedian Chronicler" write such a thing down?

Just curious... :)

Yeah, good point! And another thing I am curious about--- does Von Juntz mention The Nemedian Chronicles in his UNAUSSPRECHLICHEN KULTEN?

Anybody got a copy handy to check...? ;)

#89 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:29 PM

Obviously edited at a later date.... :unsure:

#90 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:01 AM

When I first started reading the stories I pronounced it as Simmeria then later changed to Kimmeria and recently I've been pronouncing it simmeria again. I like the K sound though because of the Keltic connection although I say Keltic except when speaking about the Boston Seltics

#91 TheNode

TheNode

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

When I first started reading the stories I pronounced it as Simmeria then later changed to Kimmeria and recently I've been pronouncing it simmeria again. I like the K sound though because of the Keltic connection although I say Keltic except when speaking about the Boston Seltics

Just to be creative, I decided to add a Kh into the K, sounds more elegant, than just, K, more softer I guess, Khimeria, its passable? In Russia, we sometimes pronounce things instead of a hard G with soft H, like for example, Bo(G) we say, Bo(H), and Gospodi, with Hospodi, mainly a dialectic thing.

Edited by TheNode, 27 August 2008 - 11:59 AM.

#92 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

Um.. the AE in Aesir is one letter, not two. It's the same sound as the letter ? and it should be pronounced with the same sound as the a in "any". It's a mix between the sounds of a as in "are" and the e in "ear". Form the sound of one vowel and slowly form the other sound and stop in between until you get an a as in "any" and add a "seer".

Vanir is pronounced with an a like in "are".

That's my opinion.

Oh, and if you were pronouncing the Asar of norse mythology it's the same sound as used in Vanir.

Edited by ?sir, 03 January 2009 - 05:58 PM.

#93 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

Um.. the AE in Aesir is one letter, not two. It's the same sound as the letter ? and it should be pronounced with the same sound as the a in "any". It's a mix between the sounds of a as in "are" and the e in "ear". Form the sound of one vowel and slowly form the other sound and stop in between until you get an a as in "any" and add a "seer".

Vanir is pronounced with an a like in "are".

That's my opinion.

Oh, and if you were pronouncing the Asar of norse mythology it's the same sound as used in Vanir.

Nordheimr words would probably be pronounced more like Proto-Germanic than like modern Scandinavian languages, if there is any difference.