223 replies to this topic

#61 Fenris Lokison

Fenris Lokison

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

I just recently got and read the Bran Mak Morn stories and I suppose it works. Kull was only summoned so the vikings would join Bran in the battle and as I recall the sotry ends with the one Celtic guy whos name escapes me getting mad that the vikings were sacrificed. It's never made clear if that was enoughto stop the Romans. As for Worms of the Earth Bran was up there actually trying to act semi diplomatically. Seeing as how the Romans had no respect for the Pict king its no suprise they would raid. Although logic would suggest worms of the Earth occurs first because after the battle with the Picts the Romans would have strung up any Picts to enter Rome.

#62 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:56 PM

I just recently got and read the Bran Mak Morn stories and I suppose it works. Kull was only summoned so the vikings would join Bran in the battle and as I recall the sotry ends with the one Celtic guy whos name escapes me getting mad that the vikings were sacrificed. It's never made clear if that was enoughto stop the Romans. As for Worms of the Earth Bran was up there actually trying to act semi diplomatically. Seeing as how the Romans had no respect for the Pict king its no suprise they would raid. Although logic would suggest worms of the Earth occurs first because after the battle with the Picts the Romans would have strung up any Picts to enter Rome.

Greetings!
The Celt is Cormac in 'Kings of the Night' :

'
"It is in my mind to slay you," said the Gaul heavily and like a man speaking in a daze, "for the blood of brave men is on your head.Had you given the signal to charge sooner,some would have lived."

Bran folded his arms;his eyes were haunted."Strike if you will;I am sick of slaughter.It is a cold mead,this kinging it.A king must gamble with men's lives and naked sword." [...]

The Romans had little respect for anybody,which REH points out repeatedly.Picts in Rome? :blink: :P

Tu

#63 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:07 AM

I believe all the stories take place in Britain.

#64 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:20 AM

I believe all the stories take place in Britain.

Greetings!
Try Scotland,the home of the Picts,sons of the heather,....

Intro

Pictish nation

When I Googled it,REH's came out first,... :D

Tu

Edited by Tu for Kull, 17 September 2006 - 03:21 AM.

#65 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

So why did you ask about Picts in Rome? Was there a reference in the story about the Picts coming to Rome?

#66 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:29 PM

So why did you ask about Picts in Rome? Was there a reference in the story about the Picts coming to Rome?

Greetings!
I didn't,Fenris Lokison did,... :rolleyes: :lol:

Tu

#67 feral cat

feral cat

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:10 AM

Is this a dead project? All I can find is the old variety release saying it was due to go into production, but after that nothing and the IMDB entry seems to have been pulled.

#68 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

Is this a dead project? All I can find is the old variety release saying it was due to go into production, but after that nothing and the IMDB entry seems to have been pulled.

Don't know what's happened to the IMDB entry but I'm _pretty_sure the Paradox guys mentioned it was still on the go in June at Cross Plains.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#69 monolith

monolith

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:37 AM

Looks like Peter Berg may have put the Bran Mac Morn project on the back burner, and moved on to a Will Smith superhero movie.
Tonight He Comes

#70 Kieran

Kieran

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

Has anyone else noticed the IMDB page has gone? :(
Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

#71 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

Has anyone else noticed the IMDB page has gone? :(

Yup. It's been killed, or stalled, or back-burnered or something...who knows.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#72 Forkbeard

Forkbeard

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:44 PM

Well, this thread has been a god damn emotional rollre coaster for me.
The back burner, huh? Bummer
I love the Bran Mac Morn stories. I hope they do this movie.
Hugh Jackman or some other sawed off tough guy should play Bran.
FB

#73 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

FB

Robert Conrad?

#74 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:28 AM

FB

Robert Conrad?

Whaddaya mean? Nowadays, most Hollywood guys, "tough" or otherwise, ARE sawed-off. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#75 Kieran

Kieran

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

It's back:
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0901474/
Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

#76 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

?Worms of the Earth? would make a fantastic film if the story would be fleshed out a little with some awesome battle scenes. ?Kings of the Night? isn?t necessary (probably Howard?s most implausible story, and that?s saying a lot.)

Picture ?Worms done like this:

The film opens with a terrific battle scene ala ?Gladiator.? Roman governor Titus Sulla has a voice-over, explaining how the Picts are savage fighters. Then we see Sulla in his study at the Roman outpost, dictating a missive to a scribe, a report to be sent back to Rome. More battle scenes follow, showing Picts attacking Hadrian?s Wall and Roman patrols and encampments, as Sulla explains that one has risen among them, a man called Bran Mak Morn. This man has declared himself king of the Picts and has united them, organizing them into a strong and cohesive and disciplined force that continually harries the Romans. The battle scenes are bloody and quick-paced and this opening last for perhaps fifteen or so minutes into the movie. Finally Sulla concludes his report by stating that he has captured a Pict and will be dealing him Roman justice, and that Bran Mak Morn has sent an emissary to bargain for the man?s freedom. Sulla is dressed by attendants and then he goes to the courtyard where the Pict is crucified. As the nails are driven into the man?s feet, the camera closes in on the face of the Pictish emissary. His eyes are burning with hatred and we realize that this is Bran Mak Morn.

The rest of the movie would follow the Howard story pretty faithfully. Bran could journey back to the Pictish camp and we could see what kind of people they were, and how he has to keep them focused on fighting Rome instead of in-fighting. Maybe he puts down a challenger to his claim as king. Maybe there is a woman he is attracted to and vice-versa but he can?t claim her because he is dedicated completely to his vengeance against the invaders.

Then comes his quest, one which the medicine man tries to talk him out of, and the famous line ?There are no weapons I would not use against Rome.? Bran leaves alone. The half-breed witch woman would be disgustingly creepy and even better would be Bran?s descent beneath the barrow to obtain the black stone. And then the parley underground, with the creatures all but visible in the shadows, creepy little mottled-skin things (I guess they?d have to be CGI, but they?re not shown very clearly...it makes it less creepy that way.)

The last quarter of the film is an assault on the Roman encampment, an even bloodier battle than the ones in the beginning. The tower falls before their eyes, weakened from below, but Sulla is not to be found. Bran journeys to the rendezvous, a circle of ancient stones, and there he is given Sulla. The man is stark-raving mad and Bran kills him out of pity. He retrieves the stone and tosses it at the creatures, crushing some of them. The witch woman says they will remember him, and they will be watching him, and some day they will come for him. Bran rides off, shuddering.

It'd make a terrific film, dark and R-rated and half-history, half-fantasy.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#77 Bri

Bri

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:12 AM

Picture ?Worms done like this:
The film opens with a terrific battle scene ala ?Gladiator.? Roman governor Titus Sulla has a voice-over, explaining how the Picts are savage fighters.

That 'terrific battle scene' should be 'Men of the Shadows'. That's always been one of my favourite Bran stories and would make for a great opener if done in the first 25 or 30 minutes of a 2-hour movie. Or perhaps it could be the 'extended' portion of the DVD. :)

-Bri

#78 Sturmrabe

Sturmrabe

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

Looks like Peter Berg may have put the Bran Mac Morn project on the back burner, and moved on to a Will Smith superhero movie.
Tonight He Comes

More crap for the crappy masses... sigh...

And Robert Conrad would OWN!
The Snowhawk Clan are traitorous dogs, who play AoC for epeen and leetboi status, and have lost all pretense of roleplay and adherence to lore...

One should die proudly
when it is no longer possible to live proudly.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

#79 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

After 'Gladiator' and 'Rome,' I think it'd be cool to see the Romans getting their ass kicked for a change. Even with the assistance of the worms of the earth.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#80 berserkmax

berserkmax

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:35 AM

Christian Bale, as said before, would probably make for a great Bran Mak Morn. He's stocky, dark like a Scottish Pict, and if anyone saw American Pshyco well, then you know he be a good Bran. Daniel Day Lewis has got my vote fore Kane. Kull and Conan can wait a while longer.
I'm going to be pissed if a guy like the Rock or some wrestler get those parts. The actor has to look Gaulish-Celt! Not some muscle bound freak.
"Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priest and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content" (Howard--Queen of the Black Coast).