Photo

Thurian Age: History and Geography (General Questions)

kull conan atlantis

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#181 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

I agree, that S-E's maps only inspired REH (among other sources of inspiration), and I doubt he intended for Atlantis to be as large as S-E depicts in it's earliest phase either, but I we should keep that possiblity in mind. Spence, his other "Atlantean" source for MotS, also has Atlantis starting out as a continent with landbridges before it breaks up. So I do think REH had in mind a larger continental Atlantis for this early period as opposed to the smaller, insular Mid-Atlantic Ridge type Atlantis you get later in Moon of Skulls and the other "brown" Atlantean stories. Maybe Australia-sized as you suggest, maybe a little larger, maybe a little smaller, but continent-sized in any case. That was my basic point for the "Sea-faring" thread where this was originally posted.

I'm curious which Celts you're talking about. If you mean the ones in MotS, the context seems to suggest they are from Scandanavia or someplace similar. They come "from the North," from "the dim lands of MIghty Snows," and from the "the shores of the far North Sea." Of course those are post-cataclysm Celts. The Celts that are mentioned in passing in the untitled Kull frag aren't tied to any geographical location. Only that, like the Lemurian pirates, they occasionally come into conflict with the Picts. Taking everything together, unless I'm missing something, I would think Thule might be a better location for the homeland of the Thurian Age Celts. No real evidence for that---but it seems reasonable. Are there some Celts I'm forgetting?

"Dwellers" is a bit of an oddball story in that it's essentially a Children of the Night/People of the Dark story, but set in the Eastern US rather than Britain. It's a little tough to fit in with some with some of the other stories.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#182 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,025 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

I agree, that S-E's maps only inspired REH (among other sources of inspiration), and I doubt he intended for Atlantis to be as large as S-E depicts in it's earliest phase either, but I we should keep that possiblity in mind. Spence, his other "Atlantean" source for MotS, also has Atlantis starting out as a continent with landbridges before it breaks up. So I do think REH had in mind a larger continental Atlantis for this early period as opposed to the smaller, insular Mid-Atlantic Ridge type Atlantis you get later in Moon of Skulls and the other "brown" Atlantean stories. Maybe Australia-sized as you suggest, maybe a little larger, maybe a little smaller, but continent-sized in any case. That was my basic point for the "Sea-faring" thread where this was originally posted.

I have no doubt that REH's Atlantis at one time sported land-bridges to (what would become) the Thurian continent. Still, there is little to indicate that Kull's Atlantis was larger than Australia. IMO, it was bigger than Madagascar but smaller than Australia. Honestly, the "continental" nature of Atlantis was tacked on after Plato, who seems to describe a large island with smaller isles attendant.

I'm curious which Celts you're talking about. If you mean the ones in MotS, the context seems to suggest they are from Scandanavia or someplace similar. They come "from the North," from "the dim lands of MIghty Snows," and from the "the shores of the far North Sea." Of course those are post-cataclysm Celts. The Celts that are mentioned in passing in the untitled Kull frag aren't tied to any geographical location. Only that, like the Lemurian pirates, they occasionally come into conflict with the Picts. Taking everything together, unless I'm missing something, I would think Thule might be a better location for the homeland of the Thurian Age Celts. No real evidence for that---but it seems reasonable. Are there some Celts I'm forgetting?

People keep trying to dump Kelts and Vikings into Thule. Howard stated that it was a Thurian kingdom (though one with Elder Hyperborean roots, IMO). The "Celts" of the fragment seem situated close enough to the Pictish Isles that "vagrants" could contribute to the gene pool. Neither Atlanteans, let alone "Thuleans" are named. Such Celts, based out of the Appalachian archipelago, would be a thousand miles closer to the Picts, They would also explain the Hyborian Age Ligureans.

"Dwellers" is a bit of an oddball story in that it's essentially a Children of the Night/People of the Dark story, but set in the Eastern US rather than Britain. It's a little tough to fit in with some with some of the other stories.

Far from being "oddball", the Conrad & Kirowan yarns tie the Conan and Kathulos tales (along with the BMM and Solomon Kane yarns) together. The pre-Indians of "Dwellers" make sense if they have a Thurian Age origin.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#183 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

I have no doubt that REH's Atlantis at one time sported land-bridges to (what would become) the Thurian continent. Still, there is little to indicate that Kull's Atlantis was larger than Australia. IMO, it was bigger than Madagascar but smaller than Australia. Honestly, the "continental" nature of Atlantis was tacked on after Plato, who seems to describe a large island with smaller isles attendant.

People keep trying to dump Kelts and Vikings into Thule. Howard stated that it was a Thurian kingdom (though one with Elder Hyperborean roots, IMO). The "Celts" of the fragment seem situated close enough to the Pictish Isles that "vagrants" could contribute to the gene pool. Neither Atlanteans, let alone "Thuleans" are named. Such Celts, based out of the Appalachian archipelago, would be a thousand miles closer to the Picts, They would also explain the Hyborian Age Ligureans.

Far from being "oddball", the Conrad & Kirowan yarns tie the Conan and Kathulos tales (along with the BMM and Solomon Kane yarns) together. The pre-Indians of "Dwellers" make sense if they have a Thurian Age origin.

I mean "oddball" in the sense that the other tales with the Children/PotD/Worms all take place in Britain, not that the Conrad & Kirowan tales are oddball in general---far from it; as you say they fit in well with the other yarns. And you're right a Thurian Age origin would explain it. On this side of the Atlantic you just the Indians drivign them underground instead of the Picts in the other stories.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#184 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I have read most of the Kull stories by REH, but I was wondering if anyone has done any interesting work on the Pre-Hyborean age when Atlantis was still around, or the Nemedians and Old Stygia, etc. Obviously REH had other projects aside from flushing out the Kull setting, but I have to wonder if someone has produced interesting Conantic stuff along these lines.

Sometimes I like to imagine that the old Atlanteans were Melniboneans just for fanfic laughs.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#185 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Are you asking about pastiches?
Did you try searching before creating a new topic? <_<

#186 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,025 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I have read most of the Kull stories by REH, but I was wondering if anyone has done any interesting work on the Pre-Hyborean age when Atlantis was still around, or the Nemedians and Old Stygia, etc. Obviously REH had other projects aside from flushing out the Kull setting, but I have to wonder if someone has produced interesting Conantic stuff along these lines.

If you're talking about Kull/Thurian Age pastiches, here's the thread: http://www.conan.com...topic=593&st=20

As far as "pre-Hyborian" history, that's what this thread looks into.

If by "Nemedians" you mean "Acheronians" they were (according to REH) a Hyborian race. Thus, their "age" would technically be the Hyborian Age.

The "Old Stygians" of Elder Stygia (at least the ruling class) would appear to be serpent-men. Later Stygians worshipped them, according to REH. Some interesting tales might be told of that period.

Sometimes I like to imagine that the old Atlanteans were Melniboneans just for fanfic laughs.

The "Brown/Imperial Atlanteans" from REH yarns like Moon of Skulls and Skull-Face certainly fit the bill. They even had a "Dragon Throne". I don't think Moorcock thought that up on his own.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#187 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

The "Brown/Imperial Atlanteans" from REH yarns like Moon of Skulls and Skull-Face certainly fit the bill. They even had a "Dragon Throne". I don't think Moorcock thought that up on his own.

Like Conan, King Elric wears black full plate.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#188 deadgrin

deadgrin

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

I know this is off subject a bit but since Bal-Sagoth is the last remaining isle of Atlantis then was it part of the Thurian Age?

#189 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

I know this is off subject a bit but since Bal-Sagoth is the last remaining isle of Atlantis then was it part of the Thurian Age?

Of course it was! :) In TGoBS's end, we see the following excerpt: 

Turlogh and Athelstane leaned on the rail, gazing back at the swiftly receding Island of the Gods, from which rose a pillar of smoke, laden with the ghosts of a thousand centuries and the shadows and mysteries of forgotten empire, and Athelstane cursed as only a Saxon can.

Agreeing with REH, Thurian Age ended 100,000 years ago, when Atlantis sank.

Edited by Fernando, 21 June 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#190 deadgrin

deadgrin

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:14 AM

Thanx Fenando