12 replies to this topic

#1 Z3N

Z3N

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:28 AM

Hello, I started collecting Conan comics when I was 16, I bought them religiously until I was about 27.

I'm now 38.

My mother was cleaning out a bunch of my stuff and gave me several large boxes of old comics.

They are mostly Savage Sword, but also alot of SAGA and King Conans)

I remember being offered a considerable amount of money for these in 1992.

I no longer need or read them and need some cash.

Anyone know where I can get them valued ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Z3N, 13 August 2005 - 02:29 AM.

#2 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:16 AM

Welcome Z3N! :)

It depends on how much you want to invest in getting them appraised. If you just want to get some bucks I would call up your local comic shop and see if they are interested in the Conan comics you have. Depending on the interest in their store they may be looking for some of them. Try all the comic stores in your area. If you get a positive answer then you will have to negotiate a fair price with the storeowner. To do this you will need to know what a 'fair' price is by checking a Comic Book Price Guide. Since those books are expensive, just head down to a local bookstore and pickup a Wizard magazine - in the back is an up to date price guide that should work fine for you. One note - if your comics are not bagged with boards, go ahead and spend some money on bagging them with boards - that could help you get a better price for them.

If they are very old and collectible, you may want to checkout the Comic Guaranty, LLC. This is a professional company that will grade your books and give you on average a higher price because their grade is so well respected in the industry. There is a fee per book but if you want to get top dollar - and it's worth it because they are old & collectible and in great or decent shape - then Comic Guaranty LLC is your best bet. Here is their submission form:

Comics Guaranty Submission Form

Good luck! B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#3 Z3N

Z3N

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:45 AM

heya Strom,

Thanks for your help and promt reply.

I found this price guide: http://www.comicspriceguide.com/

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I grabbed about 30 comics off the top of one of the boxes, priced them and they came to over $700 !!

I think I have a little gold mine :blink:

They are 90% bagged and carefully read once, so they are in pristine condition except for a small few.

I live in a rural area in Australia so there are no comic dealers here.

My local Newsagents used to get them in for me when I was younger.

So selling them will be over the net methinks.

I might try e-bay or something.

Thanks again for your help

#4 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:27 PM

I found this price guide: http://www.comicspriceguide.com/

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I grabbed about 30 comics off the top of one of the boxes, priced them and they came to over $700 !!

I think I have a little gold mine? :blink:
They are 90% bagged and carefully read once, so they are in pristine condition except for a small few.
I live in a rural area in Australia so there are no comic dealers here.
So selling them will be over the net methinks.
I might try e-bay or something.
Thanks again for your help

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Living in Australia you're situation might be a little diff. than us here in the states , but generally expect this , figure the value of your comics based on their condition, & every seperate comic price-guide has it's own 'slight' variations on pricing/grading . The industry accepted standard is the overstreet price-guides . Compare the condition of your comics to the descriptions of the grading in the price-guide , then realise that you love those books & want them to be better than they probably are , so assume they're actually one grade below your first 'grading' of them , because that is exactly what any comic dealer/collector is going to do, sad but true . Then realise that you will generally only get from comic dealers 30 to 50% of what they're worth in the price-guides ,so they can make their juice on the profits .

When you say to them in disbelief "You gotta be nuts , the guide says they're worth $500 in this shape/condition !" -Then the dealer is going to tell ya "Well then call up Mr. Overstreet & see if he's gonna pay you that much." again sad but true . Your best choice 'is' to sell them on ebay or somewhere online & then you have a much larger potential buncha customers , & the collectors can cut out the middle-man & his profiteering & you might get from 50 to 90% of the guides if what you have is popular , rare or desirably collectible more than usual . Don't get too haughty about your 'gold-mine' tho , you are gonna be disappointed in some way shape or form .

If you're a big Conan fan , do yourself a favor & 'wait' as long as you can before selling your collection , especially if they 'are' indeed your treasure . I was in a sim. situation a few years back of needing some cash & I ended up selling my entire collection of Conan comics which WAS exactly that , the ENTIRE Conan comic collection !

Conan the Barb. comic #1 to # 180 , the issue I stopped collecting comics at years ago .
EVERY 'King-Size' & Giant-Size" annual there were.
Every 1-shot like all the "What if Conan lived Today" & etc..
Every issue of "King-Conan"/Conan the King"
Every issue of "Savage-Sword from #1 to like 120 or so (again ,when I stopped collecting)
Every issue of the first mag "Savage-Tales"
every issue & appearance of KA-Zar in every comic/mag.
Every issue of the mag Kull & the Barbarians(3)
every issue of the Kull comic series to the last
every issue of red Sonja to the last published issue(BOTH original marvel series)
Both of the lesser known "first-run" test-stories for Conan & Kull in "Chamber of Darkness" & in "Creatures on the loose"
The ultra rare "Marvel Index" magazine/softcover book (?) with every instance of Conan in Marvel comics listed & detailed(also Kull/Sonja/etc.)
An actual marvel comics record album of a Conan story.
Every issue of the oversized "Marvel Treasury" giant sized comics
Everything with every single Robert E. Howard character ever printed by Marvel up till the time I stopped collecting
Every issue of the mag. "Epic" illustrated with the best art by Frazetta/Corben/Conrad/Suydam etc. & a some Howard stuff like "Almuric"
I even sold my 3 Marvel Bronze-medallions of the Hulk, SPiderman & Conan
A lot more stuff I can't even think of offhand .
It took me a LOT of years & a LOT of money & a LOT of travelling around to get that collection & that was in the days before the internet !

Everything in that collection was in Very-Fine to mint , mostly mint because as a kid I bought 2 copies of everything I mentioned above , one for reading & then maybe later selling, trading of for other 'mint' or 'unread' stuff & one copy NEVER opened & straight into the plastic bags in mint . The covers & first page would still be 'stuck' together as we called it , from the hot-ink at the time of printing which would have a crisp peeling sound as you opened the first page , god I'm getting nostalgic here ! I would on a regular basis sell/trade-up comics for ones in better condition until the whole collection was 'tweaked-up' to V.Fine-N.Mint-Mint.
I shovelled a lot of snow from driveways, worked a lot of lawns , had 2 newspaper deliv. routes & anything else I could do to get money as a kid to spend on my collection .
I also had every single issue in fine-to-mint of the Warren magazines "Creepy" & "Eerie" & "1984" first to last issue all,
& A 'lot' of the "Vampirellas" & 'Most" of the "Famous Monsters all the way back to the fifties .
Also forgot to mention I had Warrens limited run "COMIX" international, which reprinted a lot of the best of warren & had a few 'new' stories , all in color . one issue of which was a limited ed. super-rarity that had an extra Rich Corben story not available regularly.
I also had about a hundred of the original pulp "Weird-Tales" magazines including most of the Howard stuff . I truly WAS a Conan fan-geek hahaha .
That was as you said above a "gold-mine" or "a treasure".
It hurts too much to even think about how much I got for that stuff compared to all I spent on it to first obtain it as a broke young kid . I sold most of it to a local dealer . & most of it below 60% of what they 'graded' at in the price-guides . I wish I had at least waited to post them for sale online instead , & I really pimped myself . The amount I made total didn't really help that financial situation very much at all & I miss my treasure almost to the point of tears today ! It gives me a sick feeling knot in my stomach to think of all that artwork I had right there to dig out at any time I wanted right at my fingertips .

-Do yourself a favor & don't sell if it isn't really imperative to your money situation , be your own best-friend & realise no matter what you actually get for your comics is going to be not even a fraction of what they're worth to YOU . One day you're gonna get nostalgic & 'need' to pull out those old comics & visit your child-hood again , trust me on that .

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 13 August 2005 - 07:29 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#5 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:53 PM

PAINBRUSH - For the love of Pete, your post is sound advice! That was some collection of Conan you once had and as a collector I feel your pain. With CCG now available you could of really made out. But all of us collectors have a similar tale - mine involves paying rent during college so the kid and wife could eat - and to this day I've never replaced the Silver age comics I sold to make ends meet. Currently I'm considering selling some comics to purchase a new laptop...

Z3N - If you can't sell them in person I would definitly try ebay. As Painbrush said, unless you spend the money with CCG then you will only get 20-30% of guide IF they are really in Near Mint condition.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#6 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:20 PM

Hello, I started collecting Conan comics when I was 16, I bought them religiously until I was about 27.

I'm now 38.

My mother was cleaning out a bunch of my stuff and gave me several large boxes of old comics.

They are mostly Savage Sword, but also alot of SAGA and King Conans)

I remember being offered a considerable amount of money for these in 1992.

I no longer need or read them and need some cash.

Anyone know where I can get them valued ?

Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(echo.. echo.. echo.. echo)

Yeah.. couldn't agree with these fellas more... this because I've been buying issues off of ebay for a good year or two.. I bought SSoC #1 for $16 US a few months ago from ebay... so Conan comics for some reason just don't sell real great.. What I see a lot of sellers doing is listing the magazines out individually for $2.99/piece plus another $3 for shipping... and it appears they make better margins off that than selling a whole collection. If you have a whole series like SSoC from issues 20-200, I'd sell that as a collection.. but if you're missing some issues, I'd probably split them up into groups...

I'm not really into the collecting of the issues for resale value, I just want to read every SSoC ever made. I've got a few hundred Conan comics in closet.. I try to read 1-2 a week.

Regardless, you're going to need to create an inventory of the magazines you have.. and when you do, please PM me the issues you have for SSoC and CS... I'd be happy to buy some issues off of you if I need them, and you're willing to split them up...
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#7 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

-Do yourself a favor & don't sell if it isn't really imperative to your money situation , be your own best-friend & realise no matter what you actually get for your comics is going to be not even a fraction of what they're worth to YOU . One day you're gonna get nostalgic & 'need' to pull out those old comics & visit your child-hood again , trust me on that .

There is more real world truth in that paprgraph then in all the philosphy and religious texts that I have ever read.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#8 Pelibr

Pelibr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:09 PM

[quote name='Z3N' date='Aug 13 2005, 03:45 AM']
heya Strom,

I hope the newsagents didn't scrawl your name over each issue.
Really good advice from all above, and i wish that i had known it in 1990 when i sold my entie colour 'Conan the Barbarian' set at that time, 1-229 but not my Savage Swords, and not even 3 mths later regretted it and started collecting it back again thoughout the years, still haven't got #29 or #31. Though my experience is nowhere as distressfull as Painbrush's account (I only have a fraction of the heartburn feeling you must have felt), and the computer i bought with the money, was gone several years later.
Try re-reading your collection and if you still dont want to keep it, try even calling comic shops in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne and see what their opinions regarding price would be, although definately selling to a Conan aficionado would not only be more beneficial money wise, but the collection would remain complete.
I have a feeling though if you once collected each issue religiously every month, then re-reading them will bring much pleasure and memories and maybe you might reconsider selling them just yet.

#9 Z3N

Z3N

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:35 AM

Crom damn you all - Now you've got me all sentimental about my Conan collection - :P

As it turns out my most valuable comics are some early Frank Miller (story and art) Daredevils and my Wolverines ( 1- 50).

So I might just sell them, as Conan really does have a big place in my heart.

Painbrush your story is a very sad one indeed.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Really appreciate it.

#10 daknight

daknight

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:50 AM

Crom damn you all - Now you've got me all sentimental about my Conan collection -    :P

As it turns out my most valuable comics are some early Frank Miller (story and art) Daredevils and my Wolverines ( 1- 50).

So I might just sell them, as Conan really does have a big place in my heart.

Painbrush your story is a very sad one indeed.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Really appreciate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I would consider is which era of Conan you liked more, or which writer's era you liked more. For example, I am likely going to sell some Conans sometime soon, but they won't be the Roy Thomas scripted issues, so goodbye 116-to 240. I don't mind parting with the non-Thomas issues. For King Conan I will likely get rid of 29-49 as they weren't the storyline or team I really re-read. They'll be easy to part with, and consequently since I didn't re-read them much they are in great shape. Maybe you shouldn't get rid of all of them, but think up a standard for what goes and what stays similar to what i am in the process of doing.
Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and origin of marvels. -- Goya

#11 Sir Humphrey

Sir Humphrey

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:56 AM

Don't really know much about it all, but I found some oldish (maybe they are just poor condition) in the loft, and was wondering if they would be worth anything? Complete n00b with regards to anything Conan, but could anyone offer any suggestions?

#12 Staz Johnson

Staz Johnson

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:30 PM

Don't really know much about it all, but I found some oldish (maybe they are just poor condition) in the loft, and was wondering if they would be worth anything?  Complete n00b with regards to anything Conan, but could anyone offer any suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Value of older comics is on the whole totally dependent on condition, & from what you are saying your finds are in a poor condition. In this state they are likely to of negligible value...pennies, if that.

I have seen boxes full of Very good (significantly better condition than yours sound to be) grade Conan comics (early 80's Marvel) for sale at comic marts at 5 for ?1.

You'd be better off hanging on to them & reading & enjoying the stories & artwork.

#13 LLJ

LLJ

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:35 PM

The BWS issues are worth quite a bit, but the value drops off dramatically after he leaves. I'm talking strictly about price value, not quality of art/stories.