Photo

There Are Monsters...

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#141 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:52 AM

If it's genuine: wow! :blink:
But it could be a fake (*) . I've searched on the websites of several local newspapers and haven't found any mention of this giant snake.

Well being a long-time amateur (meaning it's for 'love' , not 'money') - herpetologist , I'm aware of several long-standing ( for the past few decades ) - offers of cash reward ( from herpetologists , breeders , scientists , zoos , or animal-show/performers ) - for giant boinae or pythonidae . If you have a snake over 25 foot long - you'll be in the news & a few books , probably on a few t.v. shows also . But , if you ever see a snake 30 foot long or more - take that little jump out of the helicopter , dive into the stream , or climb whatever tree necessary , - it'll be more than worth it . A snake 30 foot or more will make you a guaranteed cool-millionaire before the end of the tax-year .

(*) - It's a fake .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#142 Guest_Sermon Bath_*

Guest_Sermon Bath_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:04 AM

I think I read about this snake a few days ago...isnt it the one they say might have weighed 2,500 freaking pounds!?
That would make it just about the size of the one Conan killed in the first arnold flick
somebody said it was longer than a bus

Edited by Sermon Bath, 21 February 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#143 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

If it's genuine: wow! :blink:
But it could be a fake (*) . I've searched on the websites of several local newspapers and haven't found any mention of this giant snake.

Well being a long-time amateur (meaning it's for 'love' , not 'money') - herpetologist , I'm aware of several long-standing ( for the past few decades ) - offers of cash reward ( from herpetologists , breeders , scientists , zoos , or animal-show/performers ) - for giant boinae or pythonidae . If you have a snake over 25 foot long - you'll be in the news & a few books , probably on a few t.v. shows also . But , if you ever see a snake 30 foot long or more - take that little jump out of the helicopter , dive into the stream , or climb whatever tree necessary , - it'll be more than worth it . A snake 30 foot or more will make you a guaranteed cool-millionaire before the end of the tax-year .

(*) - It's a fake .

Quite right, PB. B) If y'all look at the various articles rebutting/refuting the pic, there's little doubt that this is all a fraud. Cool if it's true, but it just doesn't look that way. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#144 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:24 AM

I think I read about this snake a few days ago...isnt it the one they say might have weighed 2,500 freaking pounds!?
That would make it just about the size of the one Conan killed in the first arnold flick
somebody said it was longer than a bus

REH scholar Steve Trout talks about it on the TC blog here: http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=3119

:) The size of that serpent makes it about half the size of Satha (in "TSC") or the one described in The Queen of the Black Coast. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#145 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:06 AM

Posted Image

Gollum Found Dead in Panama

My precious.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#146 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:08 AM

IMO, a sloth that had been in the water for awhile.
My gut tells me that the kids made up a good part of the story.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#147 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

Yes, and they obviously shaved it. Just like those students in Scotland who found a particularly large seal, caught it and shaved it and said it was Nessie. Also took a short while to debunk.

#148 Hipster

Hipster

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, it looks like a sloth to me by the shape of the head and neck, also the sloth's distinctive claws can be seen on the left hand/paw. Some of the people on that site are claiming that it's a turtle without a shell, hilarious, obviously the only turtles they've seen are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. :lol:
It is freaky looking though and I can understand imaginations going wild when it was found.

Posted Image

This reminds me of reports of a kangaroo/wallaby on the loose around Cardiff a few years ago that turned out to be a fox with mange and a broken leg.

#149 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:33 AM

Posted Image
Okay folks , get ahold of yourselves , it's NOT a monster . Now stand back , all of you - give me some room to work , I'm a trained herpetologist dammit !!....
it has nipples , some mighty fine fully-developed nipples , therefore NO -it is NOT a reptile or amphibian , and so it's no shell-less turtle you foolish civilians . Nor , however is it a mammal either , and so not a bald sloth or a shaved seal . THAT my friends ,...... I hate to inform you , .....is a Mudokon ! Now please , someone turn on my nitrous-oxide tank and hand me a spatula.....

Edited by PainBrush, 27 September 2009 - 05:38 AM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#150 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Aquatic wackiness...

http://www.underwate..._id=73961081450

http://www.underwate..._id=91015267043

#151 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

Big fish:

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/8501251.stm

#152 Ho there Semiramis!

Ho there Semiramis!

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

The Popobawa of Zanzibar is one of the more interesting entries in the Cryptozoology files. It is described as resembling a dwarf or goblin, with a single eye like a Cyclops, pointed ears and giant bat like wings. It is often invisible, but gives off an acrid smell that reveals its presence. Its speciality is raping men while they sleep in there beds. This Zanzibar man raper also seems to enjoy politics, as it usually makes an increased appearance around the time of elections.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ica/1446733.stm
O Pan! Io Pan!
Io Pan! Io Pan Pan! Pan Pan!

#153 Landsknecht

Landsknecht

Raconteur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...ths/?test=faces

Posted Image2 1/2' long and probably just needs melted butter.
-Karl
www.Earngyld.org, http://www.reenactor...hp?action=forum, armourarchive.org

#154 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

Cthulhu is going to miss his janitor.
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#155 Halfdane

Halfdane

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

Posted Image

Who does this sound like, if not the Servants of Bit-Yakin???
-They have mutated to monsterous proportions; even larger than men.
-They feed on corpses that come to them on rivers from funerals.
-They've developed a taste for live human flesh.

Apparently it's GIANT MAN-EATING CATFISH that have grown large and aggressive from gorging on human meat from river funerals...and from fresh prey.

Obviously this sucks for the people who get dragged underwater.
But how crazy is it that Howard imagined a monster that would one day become a reality?

There are a lot of articles on this. This one just had some good pictures.

#156 Halfdane

Halfdane

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

I also can't help but point out that this is on the Kali River in India, named after the goddess Kali.
The same Kali that Spielberg used in his Temple of Doom, which in turn looks like it might have been partially inspired by The Servants of Bit-Yakin.

Anybody familiar with Hindu mythology see any similarities between Kali and Yelaya?

#157 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:58 AM

Yeah, but "goonch" is a ridiculous name for a fish! Unless, of course, it translates as "Eater of men's souls," in which case it's pretty awesome.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#158 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

The fact that this catfish appears to be full of its last meal disconcerts me greatly... :ph34r:

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#159 darthgall

darthgall

Storm Wolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

A couple of good recent ones:

Cyclops shark! I think that face could be use for a good model of a beholder for D&D...
http://www.msnbc.msn...cience-science/

Maybe those are Cthulhu's tracks!
http://www.livescien...discovered.html
Darth Gall

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - Henry Louis Mencken

#160 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Posted Image