craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

Hey all,
Thought some of you might be interested in this
Operation deathworm

A group of UK based cryptozooligists are off to Mongolia to hunt down the legendary Mongolian death worm.. a worm of up to 5 feet long thats carniverous..

ok, theyre a good deal smaller than the ice worms but what the heck, it sounds interesting.. I for one wish them success

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#2 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

She escapes...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:15 AM

i was menaced by a 5 foot 'worm' in mongolia [khitai ]...
it was only a major problem cos it was attached to a huge 40 ft long dragon !?! :lol:
--
i hope the crypto-zoo-ers disappear without a trace + the legend lives on...
:P

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#3 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the link. :D
Having an interest in cryptozoology I've heard of the "Death Worm". Did not know that there was going to be an expedition to actually look for one. Would be great if they found that it actually real.

BTW, there was an expedition to New Guneia this past year. They were looking for any evidence of a "Ropan(sp?)" Seems that for over a hundred years there have been stories told on the island about an hugh featherless bird. The group was going to see if it might be possible for some species of pterosaur, or unknown bat, to live there. I'll see if I can dig up the link.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#4 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the link. :D
Having an interest in cryptozoology I've heard of the "Death Worm". Did not know that there was going to be an expedition to actually look for one. Would be great if they found that it actually real.

BTW, there was an expedition to New Guneia this past year. They were looking for any evidence of a "Ropan(sp?)" Seems that for over a hundred years there have been stories told on the island about an hugh featherless bird. The group was going to see if it might be possible for some species of pterosaur, or unknown bat, to live there. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a good read Kane, I wait in anticipation..

Budgie

#5 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:14 AM

The article mentions that it might be a large species of amphisbaena, a type of primitive legless lizard.

Amphisbaena:

Posted Image

Noronha worm-lizard:

Posted Image

Ugly buggers, aren't they?
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#6 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:41 AM

Every so often these kinds of 'unknown' creatures do pop up. I think it was as late as the last 20-30 years that some cryptozoologists 'discovered' a type of antelope in Southeast Asia that no-one had ever documented before. Apparently these things are the size of small dogs and live in the thick jungle undergrowth, thus managing to live undetected by Western explorers until this very century!

I sometimes wonder what lurks in the really deep trenches of the Pacific. It's not unreasonable to figure there could still be things like giant Megaladon sharks living down there.

#7 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:01 AM

There was a new species of monkey discovered, too, not long ago--a fairly large species, so you'd think it would have been noticed before. Apparently, the natives knew about it, but nobody else had ever seen one.

There was something on TV a few days ago about thunderbirds, which supposedly are still spotted from time to time. Witnesses are adamant that it's not an eagle, vulture, or other large, known bird, but something much bigger--although how something the size of a fighter plane could even get off the ground is anybody's guess.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#8 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

Cryptozoology.com is an excellent "clearing house" site for anyone interested in finding out about unknown animals.
Besides their links, they have an excellent forum with topics covering every aspect of the field.

#9 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:31 PM

There was recently a documentary on Discover or Nat. Geographic channel (forget which) a month or 2 ago about the 'red-killers' or 'red-devils' or something similar of the waters off Baja California . 'Semi'-giant squid 2 to 6 feet long that come up from hundreds of feet below at night to attack & try to eat anything that moves , people & boats included . There were a few fishermen with giant divots taken out of them by squid-beaks . I for one have retained that primordial racial memory of "be careful at the waters edge" . Grew up on a lake my whole life swimming like a turtle , but the summer I saw "Jaws" & "Pirhana" as a young teen creeped me out so bad the stories I had always heard of 5-6 foot Pike & Tiger-Muskies (kinda like fresh-water Barracudas for those who haven't ever seen 'em , LOTSA TEETH )-attacking people in our lake over the years finally started to take an affect on me hahaha . I always imagined all kinds of crazy monsters below the surface , even in a freshwater lake haha . & I have seen some 4 foot Muskies in that lake myself . Won't even go into detail about getting ready to get the nerve to jump in the crystal waters at LaJolla Calif. once at low tide & saw 4 feet of a moray sticking out of a crevice in the rocks at the bottom. Stayed outta the ocean thank you . I agree with you Strom , those creepy-crawlies are straight out of Lovecrafts crazy stuff !!

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 27 August 2005 - 10:38 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#10 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:26 AM

Interesting post Pain! Check out this Link (the images would not load):

Giant Catfish in Texas

Can't believe that was caught in Texas!

Or this huge monster:

Posted Image

Both fresh water beasts! The image with the fisherman from Thailand could be a Conan cover with him standing over the beast with a bloody dagger. B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#11 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:48 AM

Grew up on a lake my whole life swimming like a turtle , but the summer I saw "Jaws" & "Pirhana" as a young teen creeped me out so bad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funnily enough Jaws had the same effect on me.. I dont swim much now and never in the sea..

My creepout moment was around the same time (age 11 or 12 I think) when I was swimming in a local river, I had a mask and snorkel on and was swimming around near the base of the river.. I was swimming past a small clump of weed when something came out of it straight at me and bumped me in the mask.. it was an eel.. not a big one, maybe only over a foot and a half in length but I got such a fright I was out of that water in a shot..

never been a boat fan either.. definately a land lubber..

some smart covers on those books btw..

oh yeah, DG - crustaceous hentai!.. theres an image.. gonna have to go watch Urotsokidoji again now..

Budgie

#12 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

This is completely OT so I apologise.
However this is so cool, to me at least, that I had to share it. It seems that we finally have photos of a real live sea monster in it's natural enviroment.

http://news.google.c...tnG=Search News

#13 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

Great Cthulhu lives! :D
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#14 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:01 PM

On the news this morning, they showed a tentacle that had snapped off and was retrieved by the Japanese scientists. It's probably in the hands of their sushi chef right about now. :P

#15 Pillarhood

Pillarhood

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:38 PM

Seriously, this is some of the coolest news of my life. I have been just staring at these pictures all day!!!

#16 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

Great Cthulhu lives!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IA! IA! Cthulhu f'thagn!
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#17 Masterfulks

Masterfulks

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:34 PM

Conan could take it....

#18 grim cimmerian

grim cimmerian

Saturnine Slayer, Crag Climber, Marauder of the Mountains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

woodyalookitthatbeauty! pwhee pwhoo! she's a looker.
I have always been fascinated by big scary beasts of the deep.
I read somewheres that based on the sucker marks on a sperm whale carcass that was taken by whalers, a squid estimated to be 20 to 25 meters long is out there, judging by existing specimens' sucker width measurements and soforth. Make that 8 meter squidy look like a pup! :unsure:
I just watched some show about the mankiller Humboldt squids that live in the sea of cortez mexico. pretty cool (keep your hands in the boat carlos!) :o
"WOE UNTO MY FOEMEN, PITY THEIR WIDOWS AND KIN."
All flatlanders are soft and frail, I enjoy those qualities in their women.
"By CROM if you so much as touch your hilt I'll split you from crown to crotch and see if your guts are as yellow as I think they are!"

#19 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

Wow. Fantasy meets reality. Well, no ones attacked one with a sword yet... :D

Thanks for the link Kane! B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#20 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:12 AM

I just watched some show about the mankiller Humboldt squids that live in the sea of cortez mexico. pretty cool (keep your hands in the boat carlos!) :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that's the documentary I remembered watching a few months back that we were talking about on this board about deep-sea 'creepy-crawlies' a short while back . Off the coast of Baja-California/Mexico right ? The locals call them red-devils or red-demons or sump'n . Thanks a lot Lovecraft & Howard & Derleth etc. I can never swim in the ocean ever again !! That one in the story above's big enough to drag a half-dozen people & their boat down below , & it's 'only' 20 something feet long . Imagine the insane looking monster one they caught off-shore Newe Zealand that was a 60 footer !!! Hell , those 6-footers in that documentary looked like they would have no problem at all snagging up a diver & chowing down on him , there's plenty of reported cases of them doing just that .

While we're on the subject of giant creepy-crawlies , giant snails
I think we better get Jaques Cousteau's crew together with a few buckets of garlic-butter & get them down to Florida !!! Haaha .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~