138 replies to this topic

#21 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

I only needed one reason to miss this series. And it can be summed up in 2 words:

FUR SPEEDO

:blink:

I loved Ralf in Gladiator and in Universal Soldier. He has a great look, and he's a decent actor (for a musclehead). But the production values of that show, not to mention a butchering of the Conan universe that makes Milius look like a purist, made me physically ill. I loved Hercules (Xena, not so much unless Bruce Campbell was in the episode), but Conan was just a cheap money-grab knock-off.

#22 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:27 AM

Actually you can probably pick it up through Netflix.

#23 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:49 AM

reaver writes- But the production values of that show, not to mention a butchering of the Conan universe that makes Milius look like a purist, made me physically ill.

Yeah, but they did adapt some Howard stories throughout the show, especially the pilot episode, probably the best of the lot, and which was a better Conan movie in my opinion than CTB. It was kind of a remake of CTB, with Conan finding the sword in the crypt and then adapting Tower of the Elephant a lot more closely to the book than the CTB movie.

But you are right that the Hyborian Age of that show is highly peculiar, though I would not consider it moreso than the CTB movie, which bore no resemblance to the Hyborian Age in the Conan stories.

#24 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:52 AM

I should be thankful that I never subjected myself to this atrocity, despite the fact that I've been a fan of Conan ever since the first movie. Judging from what I've read here tonight, the show is a complete mockery.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#25 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:36 AM

It is bad - but it is also so bad it is funny. And it's harmless to watch with the kids. Which is what I did with my youngest. It was fun to sit down and watch an episode every other night with my son. We were kinda sad when the series was over, believe it or not!

So, I told him we would watch the animated Conan series....but it never came out on DVD! :angry:

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#26 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:54 PM

So, I told him we would watch the animated Conan series....but it never came out on DVD!  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was released on DVD in the UK so you should be able to pick it up!
It's got a really great cover!!
;) :)
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#27 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:59 PM

though I would not consider it moreso than the CTB movie, which bore no resemblance to the Hyborian Age in the Conan stories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to disagree. CtB had the same look and feel as the stories for me. Very dark and gritty. Most of the world being barren and wild. The fact that Arny wasn't 90% naked in most of the scenes. It wasn't just a bodybuilding competition with swords. Yeah, I admit, the story only marginally borrowed from the original Howard writings. But I think Milius captured the look and feel of Hyborea very well.

But this show, ugh. I saw the episode with the sword in the crypt. It was disgustingly cheezy. I actually preferred the CtB version better. It made more sense. Even though the thing didn't actually come to life (like it did in the story), you could tell that in Conan's mind, it may as well have, for all of his superstitious fear.

#28 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:53 AM

reaver writes- I have to disagree. CtB had the same look and feel as the stories for me. Very dark and gritty. Most of the world being barren and wild.

Here is one quote from Howard: "...when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars..." -Phoenix on the Sword

Now this may largely be a matter of taste, but to me that sounds like the way Windsor-Smith drew it in Dark Horse's Conan Chronicles volumes 1-4. True, the wild areas are EXTREMELY wild, but the cities are fabulous. I like that in my escapist fantasy. If I want to experience nothing but grim and gritty, I can just drive out to Panky Arkansas tonight. That's not fantasy-- that is just reality. :P

#29 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:33 PM

Well I thought CtB hit the nail on the head. The more times I watch it the more I think it. Some may strongly disagree but honestly think that CtB is a master piece.
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#30 Kull1964

Kull1964

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

Well I thought CtB hit the nail on the head. The more times I watch it the more I think it. Some may strongly disagree but honestly think that CtB is a master piece.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Crom you're not the only one to think that CtB is one of the greatest movies ever. We're more than you (or someone else...) thinks... ;)

#31 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

Did it ever occur to you that it doesn't matter how many of you there are? :rolleyes:

#32 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:38 PM

Did it ever occur to you that it doesn't matter how many of you there are?  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of arsey statement is that?
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#33 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

True art is inherently great or its not, it is not a matter of taking a vote. At least that is my opinion.

I like the Conan TV show okay, but you know... it has its drawbacks. It has some good points, and some bad points. I own the DVD box. That is the subject of this topic, BTW.

#34 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:13 PM

Ah, ya see I thought you were having dig at people who think CtB is a masterpiece? My bad! :)
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#35 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

No problem! B)

#36 savage bard

savage bard

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:35 AM

I believe CBT was 'great'.... but there is still room for improvement. The CONAN TV series was awefully bad, but the pilot was the only episode worth seating through.

Just a couple of days ago, (I'm from Singapore.) we had a marathon screening of 'Fantasy - Sword & Socery' movies on TV. (It was a Public Holiday.)Included films like 'Beastmaster'(Mark Singer), Dragon Slayer, Excalibur, Krull and the 2 CONAN movies - CTB & CTD back to back.

Praying that WB does decide on a good script for a new 'LIVE' Action CONAN movie.

CHEERS !!!

#37 skrapmetal

skrapmetal

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:10 AM

I bought Conan The Live tv series dvds and I enjoyed watching them.

Edited by skrapmetal, 12 January 2006 - 03:17 AM.

#38 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:25 AM

I think I saw ''part' of one episode when it was on t.v., it came on Detroit television LATE-late night , & I was never home because I was a bouncer at a bar , & usually still occupied a few hours after closing at 2 . I might get the d.v.d's just for 5h1ts & giggles , I do think Ralf Moeller did look definitely like Conan ! I make a point of watching the goofiest 'B' movies & horror flicks , I think I can accept 'Adventurer' in that group (isn't that the name C./T./Adventurer?) - , I'll just pretend it's some 'other' Conan again haha - From all I ever heard about the series & read here , he did the best he could with the kinds of hokey scripts & sidekick stories they gave him . I wouldn't mind seeing him , if none of the other guys we all mull around as Conan in the 'rumored' new Conan movie even . He looks like he'd stab a guy !l.o.l.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#39 Irvius

Irvius

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

I found this tv series a little annoying regarding the stage of the adventures (always mexican jungle...)
Conan did travel all around the world, that's one of the strongest point that make Howard a great writer, so seeing all episodes in the same jungle didn't please me.
But I like the Moller's acting and the group traveling with Conan. Women weared too much make up but action scenes were often challenging and good to see (despite the plastic swords...)

Definitively a 6.5/10
His true name was Conan
And now he rose in hauberk of black mail.
A sinewy, grim, giant
against the broad silk sail.
That shimmered above his plumed
Corsairs pressed against the rail

#40 Guest_Rothgar of Nordheim_*

Guest_Rothgar of Nordheim_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:19 AM

I purchased the dvd box set dirt cheep when Media Play went out of buisness. True it's campy,cheasy, comedicly bad at best and utterly lame at worst. I could even forgive the lousy effects if the writing were better. But Crom help me, I enjoy watching it. despite all it's faults and shortcomings, I find it thurroughly entertaining. I've also just today ordered the cartoon series on dvd through eBay from canada. those of you interested in finding it may wish to try your luck.