138 replies to this topic

#41 mormovies@aol.com

mormovies@aol.com

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

I would like to see the series if I could rent it. Not buying it, no.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a completist, I had to have it so I found the box set for under $20. It's sometimes blown out at overstock.com and other sites every once in a while.

#42 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:10 AM

I've also just today ordered the cartoon series on dvd through eBay from canada. those of you interested in finding it may wish to try your luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Rothgar - let us know when you get the Cartoon DVD's, I'm wondering if they are Region coded for the UK or if they will work in any good old USA DVD player. Thanks!

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#43 Rothgar of Nordheim

Rothgar of Nordheim

Spear Carrier

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

[/quote]
Hey Rothgar - let us know when you get the Cartoon DVD's, I'm wondering if they are Region coded for the UK or if they will work in any good old USA DVD player. Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

I ordered them from Canada. That qualifies as region one. so I'm assuming it will work on my player. I'll post as soon as they arrive and let everyone know

ps. the Ralf Moeller series is to Conan what the Adam West series is to the Dark Knight. that's the closest analogy I can come up with, also unlike Hercules and Xena people actually bleed and die in the fight scenes. the final episode even opens with men tracking Conan's party by the trail of dead soldiars left in their wake.

#44 godcipherdivine

godcipherdivine

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

http://www.tfaw.com/...=...0 ID2512WS

#45 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:33 PM

http://www.tfaw.com/...=...0 ID2512WS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At $42 it's almost worth getting... B)

#46 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:31 PM

rothgar writes-ps. the Ralf Moeller series is to Conan what the Adam West series is to the Dark Knight. that's the closest analogy I can come up with,

I think that a closer analogy would be the Wolf Larson Tarzan series of that same period. Actually the Adam West series was pretty cool in a lot of ways (the Batmobile exit, the nuclear reactor, etc) and was a fairly literal and accurate interpretation of the ridiculousness of the fifties era Sprang style Batman comics. :)

#47 Rothgar of Nordheim

Rothgar of Nordheim

Spear Carrier

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:59 AM

Hey Rothgar - let us know when you get the Cartoon DVD's, I'm wondering if they are Region coded for the UK or if they will work in any good old USA DVD player.  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, Strom. I just got the cartoons. they do work in any old usa player, but the ones I got were burn copies as it turns out. I'm not going to bitch too loudly about this though. I'm just gratefull that I can watch them.

#48 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:13 AM

Cool! Thanks for the info Rothgar.

Mayhap's that's the way to go...

I'm gonna try and find that set somewhere.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#49 shoggoth666

shoggoth666

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:14 PM

A friend of mine recently sent me dvd's of the conan tv series,i bet Howard rolled over in his grave when these came out.One scene was particularly anti conan,he's preaching to his diminutive sidekick about how he shouldn't just think of himself and shouldn't steal from people and needs to work for the common good!thats about as far removed from the authentic conan character as you can get!
" He was a man...I drink to his shade. The heads of ten Picts will pay for his, and seven heads for the dog who was a better warrior than many a man."

#50 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

A friend of mine recently sent me dvd's of the conan tv series,i bet Howard rolled over in his grave when these came out.One scene was particularly anti conan,he's preaching to his diminutive sidekick about how he shouldn't just think of himself and shouldn't steal from people and needs to work for the common good!thats about as far removed from the authentic conan character as you can get!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Otherwise they were fun, though somewhat slow in pace. Sometimes I think they just shot their scenes out by the pool of the Mexican resorts the cast and crew were staying at. It's about as off-Conan and the Beastmaster tv show was from its movie version.

While he didn't portray Howard's Conan-- playing the part he was given-- I thought Moeller would have made a great Conan in a movie version. Don't know about know. I think he'd have to hit the gym again.

#51 shoggoth666

shoggoth666

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:29 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Otherwise they were fun, though somewhat slow in pace. Sometimes I think they just shot their scenes out by the pool of the Mexican resorts the cast and crew were staying at. It's about as off-Conan and the Beastmaster tv show was from its movie version.

While he didn't portray Howard's Conan-- playing the part he was given-- I thought Moeller would have made a great Conan in a movie version. Don't know about know. I think he'd have to hit the gym again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i did enjoy the tower of the elephant and "fun" aptly describes the series my six year old daughter loves them!Moeller would have made a good movie conan roughed up a bit with some scar tissue,I don't see conan as buff and biult,I don't know i guess i have frazettas conan stuck in my mind as the definitive conan.
" He was a man...I drink to his shade. The heads of ten Picts will pay for his, and seven heads for the dog who was a better warrior than many a man."

#52 bychance

bychance

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

ps. the Ralf Moeller series is to Conan what the Adam West series is to the Dark Knight. that's the closest analogy I can come up with, also unlike Hercules and Xena people actually bleed and die in the fight scenes. the final episode even opens with men tracking Conan's party by the trail of dead soldiars left in their wake.

Wow. I must be the only one who truly watched any Xena than. People died in Xena all the time. (Not in Hercules so much, since it was more of a kid friendly show). And hell, considering Xena was a former warlord herself before she became a hero, blood and death was very much inevitable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Sorry for all the recent Xena related mention thread bumps, but I got to defend my favorite show :ph34r: )

#53 Kieran

Kieran

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:56 PM

(Not in Hercules so much, since it was more of a kid friendly show).

I dunno, Iolaus died a few times. ;)
Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

#54 bychance

bychance

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

Eh well, was it really brutal and gore-y? ;)

#55 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

Wow. I must be the only one who truly watched any Xena than. People died in Xena all the time. (Not in Hercules so much, since it was more of a kid friendly show). And hell, considering Xena was a former warlord herself before she became a hero, blood and death was very much inevitable.

Posted Image

(Sorry for all the recent Xena related mention thread bumps, but I got to defend my favorite show :ph34r: )

I would like to have been the actor in that shot, the one whom Xena is wrestling with. :rolleyes: :lol: :P

Edited by Ironhand, 08 June 2007 - 07:51 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#56 Kieran

Kieran

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

Well, the time he was killed by Hera's enforcer it was quite bloody, but yeah I'd agree that was more the exception than the rule.

By the way, what episode of Xena is that picture of all the men tied to the wheels and stakes from?
Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

#57 Alyosha

Alyosha

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

I just got the entire tv series from netflix and watched the whole thing. Yes, there were several really bad episodes and some acting that would make you cringe, but so does any series show. I really enjoyed the series, not for good filmmaking, but just for entertainment. Ralph Moeller did an excellent job of portraying Conan. You must remember though, that the director and producers control the mood and direction of the show. But this series had continuity, and a lot of violence for a tv series. Conan rarely asked questions and gave the bad guy a chance to get away; he usually hacked them up and asked questions later. Even Highlander the series never showed a decapitated head flying across the screen.

In order to gain the most enjoyment from the series, I just looked past the low budget. Yes, like many shows, they could have easily made it so much better, but as it is what it is, there are several really good shows and someone without high expectations can still get a lot of enjoyment from it. I also thought it was really cool that they threw the Red Sonja character in there and that the show had a good climax with episode, "The Lethal Wizards." Xena and Hercules may have had a better budget and more popularity, but I prefer Conan the Adventurer because it takes itself more seriously. Avoid episode "The Child".

#58 Khan the Commander

Khan the Commander

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

If you're looking for a serious visual interpretation of REH's Conan then stay far away from this show. But personally, despite it's many flaws (including downright awful acting and visual effects), I happen to find this show pretty entertaining, or at least entertaining enough! Obviously if the main character wasn't named Conan I would never watch it, but if you have a good sense of humor and can take it with a grain of salt you just may enjoy it. Or curse yourself and throw your TV out the window.

#59 bychance

bychance

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

Well, the time he was killed by Hera's enforcer it was quite bloody, but yeah I'd agree that was more the exception than the rule.

By the way, what episode of Xena is that picture of all the men tied to the wheels and stakes from?

That wasn't a Xena episode, that was Hercules! (The Gauntlet). And you call yourself a Hercules fan :P

I forgot about the Enforcer episode though. That was disturbing :blink:

#60 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

The show was undoubtedly horrible, but hey...so IMHO was the second film! Nevertheless, at the time I never missed an episode and recall being entertained anyways although against my better judgement in terms of how the character was represented (kinda like when I throw in Destroyer from time to time - also purely for entertainment!). I guess I 'liked' it for the most part simply because it bore the 'Conan' stamp and was yet another live action interpretation of a character I love. And what's wrong with that? I mean heck...by example, I'll wager Tarzan fans would probably admit to the same in regards to numerous shoddy versions of the ape-man as well given a bit of prodding. Some things just require a grain of salt or two to digest. Let's face it, most of us here also probably own most of the comics and pastiche novels, and let's face it...the degrees of quality contained therein are nothing if not subjective and up for debate.

As for Moeller himself, I always thought the guy had a fantastic look for Conan. Unfortunately he just lacks the acting chops. I think however, that given a year or two of serious schooling in acting that Moeller could remain a serious contender, even if only for say, a one-shot made-for-TV production or something. I just hope that if he ever does return to the role in any capacity that next time the project will likewise also contain better writing, direction, and an appropriate budget to boot.