138 replies to this topic

#121 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

Good, Campy, Fun! It wasnt meant to be serious...it was meant to be funny and amusing...with that in mind...i loved it!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#122 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:54 AM

Good, Campy, Fun! It wasnt meant to be serious...it was meant to be funny and amusing...with that in mind...i loved it!

It wasn't very good.

#123 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

Ralf Moeller himself described the intent: (paraphrasing here) To depict Conan as a "gentleman barbarian" who wouldn't shock six-year-olds, and wouldn't make grandmothers fall out of their rocking chairs.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#124 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

I would like to see them take a noter crack at a Conan TV Show ,Maybe they could have Starz do the show?

#125 princesszula

princesszula

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

I love the kind and gentle Conan. This year I will give this 5-dvd set of the entire series! It's wonderful, campy, sexy and full of engery and adventure-I will enjoy it!

#126 princesszula

princesszula

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

I found this tv series a little annoying regarding the stage of the adventures (always mexican jungle...)
Conan did travel all around the world, that's one of the strongest point that make Howard a great writer, so seeing all episodes in the same jungle didn't please me.
But I like the Moller's acting and the group traveling with Conan. Women weared too much make up but action scenes were often challenging and good to see (despite the plastic swords...)

Definitively a 6.5/10

#127 princesszula

princesszula

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

I saw the clips of the Conan Live-action series on YouTube, then I downloaded them using a YT downloader and made a DVD of this sampler! It will be my prelude to The Conan TV series (featuring Ralf Moeller) on DVD! It will be a fantastic viewing experience for any Conan fan! :P

#128 princesszula

princesszula

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Has everyone see the Conan movies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger? I will like them, too! I like Conan's friends, Otli, Zzeban and Bayu, in the live-action series, too!

#129 princesszula

princesszula

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I love this images of Conan. He is soo muscular, kind, and gentle!

Conan wheeled toward the gaping corsairs.
"Well, you dogs!" he roared, "I've sent your chief to hell--what says the law of the Red Brotherhood?"

--Robert E. Howard, "Iron Shadows in the Moon"--

#130 SLAYERx78

SLAYERx78

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

I just rewatched the first episode of the series. While not much good to say i will give ralph credit for on line, when speaking of his captivity he makes it clear he was a captive not a slave. Arnold felt more like a slave in the 82 flick. That gave me a bit more respect for the otherwise terrible show. Under the right circumstance ralph might have made a better Conan than arnold...
"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars--Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingaria with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom in the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a SLAYER, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

....."let me live deep while I live , know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate , the hot embrace of white arms , the mad exultation of battle when the blue-blades flame and crimson - and I am content. Let teachers priests and philosphers brood on questions of reality and illusion . I know this much ; if life is an illusion , then I am no less an illusion , and being so that illusion is real to ME .I live , I burn with life , I love , I SLAY , and I am content . "

#131 Rargentum

Rargentum

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I just got the boxed set off amazon...

It's making me smile, but it is what it is, a Saturday afternoon kids show.

I think physically Moeller is the closest to Conan any actor has been, he said to be between 6' 6-8" depending on where I've researched.

Who ever plays Conan should make the other characters look like children by comparison, and not just width ways like Arnie.

Edited by Rargentum, 01 November 2012 - 10:02 PM.

Applying a keenish critical eye to the Conan stories.
http://www.conanquotes.com

Follow on Twtter for Conan quotes:
https://twitter.com/QuotableConan

Loads of free guitar resources for anyone who plays guitar
http://robsilverguit...blogspot.co.uk/

#132 SLAYERx78

SLAYERx78

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

Its total cheese but not wholly unentertaining. Ralph was ok as Conan, had he been cast in CTB82 instead of arnold who knows ...might have done at least as well or better.
"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars--Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingaria with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom in the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a SLAYER, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

....."let me live deep while I live , know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate , the hot embrace of white arms , the mad exultation of battle when the blue-blades flame and crimson - and I am content. Let teachers priests and philosphers brood on questions of reality and illusion . I know this much ; if life is an illusion , then I am no less an illusion , and being so that illusion is real to ME .I live , I burn with life , I love , I SLAY , and I am content . "

#133 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image
--
and Link to more nice pics of the show-making...

http://www.ralfmoell...rien/conan.html

----
my friend has got the dvds cheap, and has let me borrow em.
should be a laugh ? :D

Edited by Buxom Sorceress, 02 December 2012 - 12:30 PM.

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#134 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

Now you will know why I fear CTB 82 and TLoC. Bad Conan movies beget bad Conan movies.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#135 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Conan the Adventurer ( Ralf Moeller TV series)
[ 1997, 22 episodes, on dvd ]

My review of the characters and the series...

# Ralf Moeller = as Conan
Ralf is very tall and looks like a pretty good big imposing Conan version.
His Conan is a kind, sympathetic and jovial guy, with good morals and politeness of a 'gentleman-conan'.
Tough Warrior and leader of a semi-merry band of adventurers.
They are hunted, but always ready to help any wronged or opressed folks in dire need.

# Danny Woodburn = as Otli
the clever little man [ dwarf ] who soon became my fave character. he gets most of the best lines, does consistantly impressive acting, and is very amusing.
He has lots of clever banter with others, and often teases moody Bayu.
[ he has a handsome face, but I always feel sorry for him because he has a terrible problem with his hips/legs walking very slow and awkward. he is not quick or agile enough to impress in any action scenes, and so is often left behind to guard something, or he stalks the edge of a big combat scene. but i suppose they cast him for his charisma and acting ability. ]
He particularly shines in 'Homecoming' episode, for example.

# Robert McRay = as Zzeben
the bald, mute staff-wielder and very handsome/fit wrestler, who uses sign language. with a very fancy-cut beard.
He looks great, and I fancy him the most.
[ he is a likeable cheerful character... but after 10 episodes i got fed up of signs and wanted to hear him talk and shout ]

# T. J. Storm = as Bayu
the black, bearded, moody, very athletic and aggressive animalistic warrior. he fights mostly in a very silly acrobatic messy-style which looks ridiculous, complete with silly cat-snarls and animal-growls.
he is very impatient, impulsive, and seems designed to annoy everybody. he must be a good actor because he irritated me, and so i rarely liked him.
He wears bright white pants all the time, which look odd, and they never show any dirt or wear.

# Jeremy Kemp = as Hissah Zul
a very powerful old evil sorcerer tyrant who lives hidden away in a high linked double-tower.
always scheming to send armies and minions to capture or kill Conan and his prized sword.
Kemp is flamboyantly overdressed like a fat ridiculous pantomime-dame from alladin. complete with very silly hat.
a very silly wizard character who seems like a grumpy, bored, camp, quirky serial killer.
Kemp is a very good actor, but he must have been desperate to do this weak very silly slop.

# A.C. Quart-Hadosht = as The Skull That Talks
a magic Skull that rises from a bubbling pool in a baptismal font.
Very posh, sarcastic voice, scheming to decieve Kemp/Zul and restore its own powers.
It acts like a 'talking-magic-mirror' and informs Zul of remote events.

Kemp and Skull form an amusing little double-act. Both hating, but having to use each other.
Skull gets the best sarcastic lines and Kemp is very good as ruthless and evil. I soon looked forward to their next sessions of remote-viewing and weirdly amusing banter.
-

Lots of outdoor filming is very nice: mostly in beautiful exotic jungle forests in mountains, and coastal areas. [ filmed somewhere in Mexico, i think ]

This tv show was better than i expected it to be, but that is not saying much.

There are plenty of beautiful, sexy, young women with boobs jiggling in 'bikini' tops for the guys.
And there are plenty of handsome, fit, sexy men for us Ladies.

It is a toned down family friendly show which can easily be watched by parents and kids. the series is all about friendship, loyalty, and helping, which is a good thing to promote.
it is very similar to 'Hercules' and 'Xena' tv shows, but, at times, it is a bit better than them [ it is without all those very silly powerful gods continually messing about in human form ]
[ although some episodes of Xena were quite brilliant when the writing was at its best ]

The 1st 2 episodes of this are rubbish and put me off it. but after a few weeks i watched more... and after about 8 episodes it got better, and i got used to the main characters.
then i wanted to watch more just to see how good, average or bad each episode was.

I don't care that it is just a weak, average to poor series. it entertained me a bit.

My only major gripe with it is The 1st 2 episodes, which are criminally titled
'the heart of the elephant' [ stupidly based on about only 1% of the classic 'the tower of the elephant' ].
These are a complete sack of twisted stinking dung, and a calculated deliberate INSULT to Howard and his keen fans.
I won't go into all the details [ i will never watch those 2 again ], but suffice to say that Howard's great weird tale had the magnificent core/heart ripped out, and just a stupid, insipid pointless crackpot 'shell' remained.
for example: the evil wizard had captured his rivals, a married couple, and then turned the man into an elephant-man, and turned his wife into the spider which guards the tower.
[ f##king disgraceful massive alterations of complete rubbish and crapp ! ]
[ any new fan who only knew this tv rubbish would be thinking...'Oh dear, this Howard guy must write total rubbish' ?? ]

I would still like to punch those pathetic producers and writers for raping and ruining Howard's great tale. [ i still find it hard to believe why anyone would want to rip-up such a classic, fascinating tale ]

So [rant over], i advise you to avoid episodes 1 & 2, watch the rest, then maybe look at the insulting-rubbish later.

This shabby tv series did give me more temporary entertainment and amusement than both the Arnie-conaaan films [ ctb & ctd ] put together.
But, i enjoy laughing at the 2 false-films now and again. It will probably be quite a while before i shall want to watch this tv folly again? :)
----
read more very good info...

http://en.wikipedia....rer_(TV_series)

----
> read the reviews on imdb...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120569/

an interesting mix of different opinions.
----

Some of Ralf's better lines...
" I hate magic. "
" All this sorcery makes my flesh crawl. "

Edited by Buxom Sorceress, 04 December 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#136 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

i dont want to sound insencitive but i must know:

with the way he kept shacking his head ,does jeremy kemp have Parkinson's disease ?
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#137 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

In the TV series, the producers evidently feel that Conan, or Klonan, is not interesting enough to hold the attention of the viewers, so they introduce the ensemble of merry misfits, justified by assuming that Klonan is not competent enough to get himself out of trouble, hence the merry misfits. And the Merry Misfits, taken all together, are almost as talented and dangerous as REH's Conan. Otli represents Conan's sneakyness and thievish skill. Zzeben represents Conan's speed and agility. Bayou represents Conan's animal side: rage and attunement to nature. And finally, Ralf represents Conan as the invincible tower of strength. Conglomerate them all together, and they almost add up to Conan.

The avowed theme of the entire series is about friendship, loyalty, sharing, and good times.

Edited by Ironhand, 03 December 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#138 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

1 of my fave episodes is
'Red Sonja' - on disc 5 . :)

It's only a poor plot, but there were lots of things and characters which interested me.
Anjelica Bridges was quite a stunning beauty as a weird Sonja version. she looked like she had just swayed off a fashion catwalk, and had never broken a nail in her life?
But She had good charisma, and acted ok.

Mark Ryan
>[ He was great as the character Nasir [ saracen with 2 swords ] in the cult British TV series Robin of Sherwood [ 1 of my top fave warrior characters ], and is a fine Yorkshire lad. ]
appears for a good 5 minutes as a rough Barkeeper, and i particularly liked what little Otli did to him.
They should have given Mark a much better part which arced over several episodes?

The young woman who fancied Otli was an amusing departure. good actress.

And the young wizard was a good actor. and giving that potion of youth to the evil king was a great scene.

A quite exciting, fun and quirky episode, but it should have been so much better.
----
So which are your fave episodes, and why ? :)

#139 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Posted Image
-
Posted Image
-
( 2 screen captures by me. Enjoy Angelica and Ralf. :)
I will try to post more, later...in Picture caption club, and Barbarian women )