138 replies to this topic

#1 Berserker

Berserker

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:59 PM

I've just read the details on the entertainment of this site but was it any good? Was it a true portrail of Conan?

Or just as bad as Xena and Hurcules? With all the fighting and sword play and actually no one being killed but thrown into the nearest market stall instead. :D
"In battle I'd rather face 10 men protecting there families and homes, than 1 with nothing to loose."

"You first smell your enemies breakfast on his breath when you clash, then a second time when you empty his guts onto the battle field."

"An enemies blood tastes sweeter than a 1000 honey covered whores."

Posted Image

The boys are back in town!

#2 Mike_The_Barbarian

Mike_The_Barbarian

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:01 AM

I've never seen it, but as far as I can remember Conan had befriended a Dwarf... :o Haha, I didn't touch it after that.
They are the weak and cowardly who, when the enemy is crashing through the front door, will cower in the back room, counting on better men than themselves to make and keep them free.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Pain is weakness leaving the body

#3 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:21 AM

It's bad. Worse than Hercules and Zena. Amazingly bad.

But it is funny because it is so bad and they did have a couple of hotties on every episode.

The 'dwarf' was a midget & the same actor who played Kramer?s friend on Seinfeld. He was one of the better actors in the show and my son's favorite character. I liked the big fat guy in the first two episodes because he carried this huge axe and looked very uncoordinated just carrying it and was downright slap knee funny in a fight - they must of thought he sucked too because after two or three episodes he was replaced by some guy who supposedly had some animal powers. The main villain liked to shake his head while reciting his lines we decided to call him Shakey. And that could also describe all aspects of the talent involved in this disaster. :P

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#4 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:13 AM

Well, Ralf Moeller definitely looked the part of Conan, I'll say that much. As for the rest of it with the 'funny' sidekicks, 3rd-rate CGI, and bad writing...man. This show just had to die.

#5 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:05 PM

What I loved about it is that after just a few episodes they replaced his all important sword with a smaller version because the first was just way too HUGE for Conan to swing!

It is a fun serious, when it's not going through a slow and dragging scene. Fun in the way, like already said, it is so bad it is fun. Howver, I did like the banter between the midget (Otli [sp]) and the animal-growling fighter-guy (can't remember his name at the moment).

#6 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:06 PM

And by the by, it is so bad I had to rush right out and get m very own set of the series. :lol:

#7 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

Ralph was a good Schwartzeneggar-style Conan.

Not a good Howard Conan though.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#8 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

I've never seen it, but as far as I can remember Conan had befriended a Dwarf... :o  Haha, I didn't touch it after that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What ?!?! You mean you didn't like Conan doing the 'Safety-Dance' through a meadow with a dancing dwarf ?!?! Hahaha , "....we can dance if we want to , if we don't nobody will ...." hahaha .

I agree that Ralf Moeller was about as pretty as a tree-stump & looked a lot closer to the wild-eyed dangerous Conan I always pictured , had the height too , it's sad that he got stuck with 'that' version of Conan to portray . I watched 'one' half of an episode of that show & avoided the rest like the plague , couldn't even tell you if Moeller was a decent actor if given a real role . If I ever find the d.v.d in the ''used' or the bargain bin I 'might' pick it up for a saturday afternoon beer-burp viewing .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#9 Lionmane

Lionmane

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:46 AM

That series was one of the worst things I ever saw. I think they picked Mueller because he's huge and he sounds like Ah-nold. Crom was a CGI-made, skinny , short-haired face with a proper English accent who came out of Conan's sword...he was more like Batman's butler Alfred than a dark god who's attention you didn't want.....man, it was bad.
"There They Wait In Fear, With Swords In Feeble Hands,
With Dreams To Be A King, First One Should Be A Man"

- MANOWAR

#10 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:56 AM

That series was one of the worst things I ever saw. I think they picked Mueller because he's huge and he sounds like Ah-nold. Crom was a CGI-made, skinny , short-haired face with a proper English accent who came out of Conan's sword...he was more like Batman's butler Alfred than a dark god who's attention you didn't want.....man, it was bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you nuts!?! That was classic television packed with stellar performances and spectacularly imaginative drama complimented by top quality special effects and... ah, who'm I kidding!

#11 lbaron

lbaron

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:09 AM

Actually, Crom was a digital Richard Burton. Believe it or not.

#12 JacktheKnife

JacktheKnife

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

Wow!

You know. After reading this tread I kinda wish I could find it for real cheap. Like...10 bucks cheap. I'd buy it in a heart beat just to laugh until it hurt.

But sadly the only place I've seen this DVD is at my local Borders and there, of course, it's 50 bucks. No way in hell.

#13 alex

alex

Barbarian by birth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We all died a little bit inside when that "program" aired. Worse then the cartoon since it was live action. Yes, the babes were babular.

And Moeller was a horrible Conan, IMO.

Edited by alex, 02 November 2005 - 09:14 PM.

What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king.

- "The Road of Kings"

#14 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:20 AM

I thought Ralf was incredibly rugged, but I have to admit that the show felt more like Conan, Texas Ranger than REH. As a Tarzan fan I am long accustomed to having my hero lobotomized for the movies.

#15 JacktheKnife

JacktheKnife

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:13 PM

I thought Ralf was incredibly rugged, but I have to admit that the show felt more like Conan, Texas Ranger than REH.  As a Tarzan fan I am long accustomed to having my hero lobotomized for the movies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. At least we've never had to see. "And then after Aladdin, Disney's Conan!"

#16 JacktheKnife

JacktheKnife

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:20 PM

We all died a little bit inside when that "program" aired. Worse then the cartoon since it was live action. Yes, the babes were babular.

Hey now. I loved Conan the Adventurer when I was a kid. And in fact it's thanks to that cartoon that the seed was planted inside of me, long forgotten, until the day I got Dark Horse's Conan #0 and that wonderful ad there in telling me about "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian."

I haven't seen the cartoon since I was younger, but I imagine it's probably like He-Man or Thundercats. Something best just left to my memories. But it did serve as a good gateway for me into Conan. I grew up in a time that there were his popularity had died down. I knew nothing of the paperbacks. I think I may have seen an issue or two of the soon to be cancelled Marvel Conan series, but it just didn't look appealing at all.

#17 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:53 PM

People forget that Mueller was in Gladiator and his role was solid. I bought the pilot episode on DVD expecting the worst. Yup, I got the worst and this coming from someone who like Tarzan the Epic Adventures. :)

The cartoon on the otherhand was good for what it was I think!
Fingers Crossed Red Nails will kick much arse!
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#18 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

I actually kind of liked the Hercules and Xena series. Posted Image They were campy and fun and didn't take themselves seriously...which is a good thing because the fight scenes were often one step from being West Side Story! :D I did like the characterisations, costumes, and sets, though.

I watched part of only a couple episodes of the Conan series and was unimpressed. I don't even remember what they were about, just that I remember thinking, "Good grief, THAT'S Conan??"
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#19 subotai1215

subotai1215

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

I did not mind the series. You knew that you were not going to get the REH's Conan from the credits. They talk about Conan fighting for freedom and justice for an oppressed people. Rent it through Netflix.com. Some of the stories were not all that bad. The acting and fight scenes were on par for the cash spent on the series. I would hate to think that Arnold Schwarzenegger is not the bench mark for actors who play this character. That was a poor job done with a lot more cash than this series.

#20 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:11 PM

I would like to see the series if I could rent it. Not buying it, no.