Photo

Poll: Which Media Introduced You To Conan?

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Media Introduced You to Conan? (462 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Media Introduced You to Conan?

1. 1) Original Weird Tales Stories (13 votes [2.81%])

Percentage of vote: 2.81%

2. Voted 2) Edited Lancer/Ace/Sphere Novels(with Frazetta covers) (107 votes [23.16%])

Percentage of vote: 23.16%

3. 3) Conan stories by Other Authors (9 votes [1.95%])

Percentage of vote: 1.95%

4. 4) Conan Movie(s) (137 votes [29.65%])

Percentage of vote: 29.65%

5. 5) Conan TV Show or cartoons (15 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

6. 6) Conan RPGs (3 votes [0.65%])

Percentage of vote: 0.65%

7. Voted 7) Conan Marvel Comics (135 votes [29.22%])

Percentage of vote: 29.22%

8. 8) Conan Dark Horse Comics (12 votes [2.60%])

Percentage of vote: 2.60%

9. 9) Del Rey Unedited Howard Conan Books (17 votes [3.68%])

Percentage of vote: 3.68%

10. 10) Other sources (Including other REH creations) (14 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Morgoth

Morgoth

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:20 PM

2nd choice. A friend's father gave me those great books.

#42 SiriusXXX74

SiriusXXX74

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

I was definitely introduced to everyone's fave barbarian through the movie Conan the Barbarian and then quickly followed by Conan the Destroyer.

After that, I was hooked! :wub: Since then, I have pretty much made it my mission to acquire all the books ever done on Conan and just recently I started collecting and learning the RPG.

I'm hoping one day they'll realize what a market is out there for Conan and release a really primo title for the PS3 (being the next gen, might as well take advantage of it's potential right?)! ^_^

#43 maldito

maldito

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:28 AM

i don't remember! :huh: I know Conan since I have memory, maybe it was trough the movies. I only started to read the REH works since four years ago.

#44 Ashleyien

Ashleyien

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:25 PM

The first I heard of Conan was the Conan the Adventurer cartoon. I really liked the cartoon. :unsure: When I was about 18 or so I started reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and happen to find a hardcover copy of 3 or Robert Jordan's Conan stories at Chapters for about $5 so I read those. I think I saw the first Conan movie years about but I don't remember much of it... sorry. I have read several REH stories since a friend of mine online found a book of them at a used book store and sent them to me. Errr...I can't think of anything else to add...

#45 LCUCHULAIN

LCUCHULAIN

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Location:Currently Las Vegas, NV., Previously Northern Cimmeria, by Crom!!!

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:42 AM

I remember being 9 years old and my family was taking a trip to Texas from Ca. My dad pulled into a gas station in San Bernardino and said "you'd better grab some things to read because it's a long trip!" I grabbed a couple of issues of Mighty Thor and flipped the comic stand around and I came face to face with Conan the Barbarian standing on a pirate galley with Belit. My dad purchased them and the old guy behind the counter said " Why do you let your boy read those hippie books?" So my dad threw in some Sgt. Rock and some horror mags, but from that moment on I was spellbound!! I couldn't believe what a treasure trove I had found. From there I picked up every available copy of CTB, SSOC (which I had to sneak into the house) and every novel from ACE to TOR you name it! I even started reading about REH's other creations. I was like a crack fiend!! :blink:
'No one in this world can you trust Conan. Not men, not women, not beasts. (he points to the sword he just completed) But this...this you can trust!'
-Conan's father, Conan the Barbarian

#46 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

I remember being 9 years old and my family was taking a trip to Texas from Ca. My dad pulled into a gas station in San Bernardino and said "you'd better grab some things to read because it's a long trip!" I grabbed a couple of issues of Mighty Thor and flipped the comic stand around and I came face to face with Conan the Barbarian standing on a pirate galley with Belit. My dad purchased them and the old guy behind the counter said " Why do you let your boy read those hippie books?" So my dad threw in some Sgt. Rock and some horror mags, but from that moment on I was spellbound!! I couldn't believe what a treasure trove I had found. From there I picked up every available copy of CTB, SSOC (which I had to sneak into the house) and every novel from ACE to TOR you name it! I even started reading about REH's other creations. I was like a crack fiend!! :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Texas? Appropriate. :)

#47 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

I was in the hospital for a couple of days in kindergarten. My mom bought me a Captain Marvel comic (Starlin, Marv vs. Super-Skrull). While reading it I turned a page and there in front of me was this awesome full-page ad for "Moon of Zambebwei"(Gil Kane art). It took like another year before I could wheedle my sainted grandmother into buying me the "House of Arabu" adaptation issue (Were-Woman something. I was hooked.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#48 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

Man! That reminds me of the time I was sick with the flu, and I asked my Mom to get me a comic book when she went up to the drugstore. She brought me Marvel Premiere #1, which was Gil Kane's origin of Adam Warlock. :)

#49 bjmorga

bjmorga

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:01 PM

I got into Conan through the stories from REH. Is there any other way?

#50 Glstar6

Glstar6

Sword and Sorcery Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:19 PM

It was just after the Fellowship of the Ring movie came out and after watching it I became hooked on fantasy and was looking for more fantasy fiction and movies. One night my dad asked me to watch Conan the Barbarian with him on TV. I loved the movie so much. My dad then gave me his three Wagner edited Conan collections. I read the Hour of the Dragon and since then I have been hooked on Conan and have been trying to collect a lot of the old sphere editions and TOR books ever since.

#51 DaBadGuy

DaBadGuy

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:38 AM

My older brother always had Conan comics and Savage Sword of Conan mags. When the movie came out I was familiar with the name even though I was a kid. Been a fan always. Really love the (first) film.

#52 WALKAN

WALKAN

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

I read Marvel Comics when I was joung. At the last page there was frequently a commercial for the Conan Comics. I was fascinated by the martial look of the Conan-cover and details like the broken stoneaxe.

Later I saw the movie and was at first disappointed (I was too joung for the movie then).

Later I began to read the comics and I loved them (especially the SSOC-series). When jears later I saw the movie again I was overwhelmed. That was about the time I began to read the novels and ever scince I am fanacic Conan-fan!

Edited by WALKAN, 21 May 2006 - 10:41 AM.

Meister der schwarzen K?nste

#53 tofu

tofu

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

I was 8 years old. went into a comic shop saw a CONAN COMIC which had a free prize included in the clear wrapper a reprinted version of one of the old WEIRD TALES COMICS.(Not a Howard original,sorry)*<--- vote said was original was reprint error
before then comics ,novels, toys didnot really catch my eye . But I thought hmmm so bought the comic and read both the MARVEL EDITION and REPRINT OF HOWARDS EDITION(MINI-COMIC).

After that I was hooked buying TOR NOVELS, Playing the RSI PBM, Watched the CARTOON and TV SERIS.,VHS MOVIES WITH ARNOLD. PLAYED
RPGS, and now looking into the next thing PBEM,PBIM play by e-mail or Instant Messanger. seems to be what is going on now a days.maybe should do a PBFP play by Forums page(heh just a joke)

Edited by tofu, 21 May 2006 - 01:28 PM.

Warfighting Philosophy:
Shatter the Enemys cohesion through a variety of rapid,focused,unexpected actions which create a turbulent and rapid deteriorating sitchuation in which the enemy cannot cope. Department of the Navy.

Facinated at birth with the power of a Gun, Trained as a Troop to weild one effectively, and still loveing them today.

Nothing beats a well placed sling shot to the bridge of the nose=)

#54 Beowulf

Beowulf

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

Wow, movies has edged out cominc and novels.
I'm pretty suprised at that. I guess a few movie fans do trickle through here.
The supple tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broad swords sing.

#55 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

Wow, movies has edged out cominc and novels.
I'm pretty suprised at that. I guess a few movie fans do trickle through here.

Maybe. But the question is "what media introduced you to Conan." For me, it was the films. I've grown as a fan and now consider the REH tales the only true Conan. II love the comics,and the Conan the Barbarian is still endlessly qu0teable in my circle of friends. It just so happens I saw the movies before reading the stories. :)
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#56 Beowulf

Beowulf

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

Sorry. It was not my intent to insinuate that if some one was introduced to Conan by the movies that it had to be their favorite media. I just wanted to comment on how the poll suggests that the movies do introduce at least as many people to the original Conan material as the novels and comics.

Before comics and books were way in the lead and it was suggest that most fans of the movies never consider the original Conan source material.

I am a big fan of the movie and they are, in fact, my favorite version of Conan, but because of my interest in the movies I have found the books and comics and every thing else. You on the other hand found that you like other media better, but we are both prime examples of people who saw the movies first then looked more in depth toward Conan.

So it seems that fans (or one time fans) of the movies do trickle in here.

Edited by Beowulf, 24 May 2006 - 06:02 PM.

The supple tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broad swords sing.

#57 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

'twas the cartoons for me. What more could I ask for than a pomegrante eating Phoenix to occupy my time.

#58 Adam

Adam

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:29 PM

Original Weird tales stories as they were released in Poland in late 80s before edited editions :)

Then I quickly got the latter and many more REH's books and instantly got hooked :)

#59 Ant

Ant

Formicida!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

I was in Texas one night, there was this couple sitting on the fenders of a car parked up by a corn field with the headlights left on shining at the corn. They talked for a while, then this guy, he hops off and faces her and the lights and says, "Conan is the damnedest bastard there ever was!" ... ;)

It looks like I'm the first to vote for "Conan RPGs".

Well, I think I was first introduced to Conan in 1979 or 1980 through my friends at university who I played AD&D with - Graeme Davis, Roger Evans, and so. Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, and Elric too. (I mean, my friends introduced my to those characters, not that they played AD&D with us... )

But - although I started reading Leiber's and Moorcock's stories when Granada/Grafton published the authors' back lists in the mid-1980s - I didn't read any Conan stories then...

I think Graeme's comments about what was probably the de Camp Conan had kind of put me off.

Of course, during the 1980s I was aware of the Schwarzenegger movies. But I didn't see either of them. (Which I find kind of surprising, looking back.)

And I was vaguely aware of Conan in Marvel Comics, but more through parodies like Killmallard in Howard the Duck. (Mmm, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that... )

So, twenty years pass...

The first REH story I read was an El Borak story in an old Orbit collection that I picked up when we were visiting my sister-in-law. I really liked it. It was probably "The Hawk of the Hills".

And the thought began to form in my mind, maybe the Conan stories are as good as this.

So the Del Rey editions fell on fertile ground.

But the first CONAN thing I bought was the Mongoose RPG. So my vote is apt in that sense, too.

Then the Del Rey collections. But I hadn't read a word of any Conan story before that. :wacko:

And now I'm collecting the Dark Horse Marvel and original collections. (Just for the REH stories of course, not the pastiche stuff... <ahem>)

And I did buy - and enjoy reading - John C. Hocking's Conan and the Emerald Lotus. (The sly Chthulhu reference was sweet.)

And of course loads of other REH stuff - most of the other Del Rey and Bison collections.

Cheers,
Ant

PS. And I've founded CONAN wiki. ;)

Edited by Ant, 14 July 2006 - 10:56 PM.

My LibraryThing ● Go here now → CONAN wiki ← & add what you know! ●

#60 Sa horw mri wadjet

Sa horw mri wadjet

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:39 AM

The movie Conan The Barbarian,i seen it a a friends house! back in 1990! :D
That which does not kill us make's us stronger!
Friedrich Nietche