Photo

Poll: Which Media Introduced You To Conan?

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Media Introduced You to Conan? (457 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Media Introduced You to Conan?

1. 1) Original Weird Tales Stories (13 votes [2.84%])

Percentage of vote: 2.84%

2. Voted 2) Edited Lancer/Ace/Sphere Novels(with Frazetta covers) (106 votes [23.19%])

Percentage of vote: 23.19%

3. 3) Conan stories by Other Authors (9 votes [1.97%])

Percentage of vote: 1.97%

4. 4) Conan Movie(s) (134 votes [29.32%])

Percentage of vote: 29.32%

5. 5) Conan TV Show or cartoons (15 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

6. 6) Conan RPGs (3 votes [0.66%])

Percentage of vote: 0.66%

7. Voted 7) Conan Marvel Comics (134 votes [29.32%])

Percentage of vote: 29.32%

8. 8) Conan Dark Horse Comics (12 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

9. 9) Del Rey Unedited Howard Conan Books (17 votes [3.72%])

Percentage of vote: 3.72%

10. 10) Other sources (Including other REH creations) (14 votes [3.06%])

Percentage of vote: 3.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Warduke

Warduke

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:22 AM

I saw The Conan movies as a kid back in the 80's. I still like the first one, 2nd one is too family friendly, ok enough for kids I guess but I would rather watch Arnold as Hercules in New York then then Conan the Destroyer. And then I read some of the Savage Sword of Conan comics which I really liked but didnt seriously collect (which is something I regret) I was more into The Punisher back then. And then I made a few attempts to read some of Robert Jordans Conan books, never couls finish one book though, Jordans writing style just bores me. But not until just a year ago after hearing so man praises of Howards original unedited stories did I go out and buy his books and I was just blown away. I can now see why so many original Howard fans hated the movies which I cant blame them It's has almost nothing in common with Howards Conan. I'm now hunting down the King Kull stories and also the Solomon Kane stories as well!
Posted ImageCivilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Posted Image

#62 Skarthi

Skarthi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

Marvel comics for me. I was round at my cousins house one day and i had a rummage through a pile of old comics and came across 'Conan the Barbarian'. I think it was the 'Flame winds of Khitai' story. Anyway i nicked the comic and and started getting it myself while chasing down the seventies paperbacks. I never liked the film(i cant stand Arnie) but i have since got back into REH since the Dark Horse series started.

Why do i feel like i've joined 'Alcoholics Anonymous' or something :blink:

#63 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

Why do i feel like i've joined 'Alcoholics Anonymous' or something

Wait , WHAT ?!? This isn't ?...................- Damn !! I've been posting messages on the wrong website for a year now..............I was wondering why nobodies been offering me a hug !.......'hiccup'...........

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#64 slideyfoot

slideyfoot

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:51 AM

I'm another one voting for movies, born a year before Conan the Barbarian hit the theatres. I loved, and still love, the first film - its an integral part of my childhood, along with a bunch of other fantasy related films/animation, like The Flight of Dragons, Starvengers: Force Five and various 80s cartoons (esp Dungeons & Dragons, Thundercats and Mysterious Cities of Gold). The next thing I encountered was the comics, though only a small portion at first, and much more recently (2000 and something), I finally got round to the original Weird Tales stories.

#65 Carlos

Carlos

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

Ace books, Laplace,La Public Library summer of '78. Read Conan of Cimmeria 3 times in 2 weeks before I had to return it to the library. I got a job and whenever my family drove into New Orleans to go shopping, I would spend my minumum wages on Conan books and gasoline. Still have every Conan book I ever bought. I'm always on the prowl at used books stores for hardbound copies of what I got. REH was born in the county which bears my family name so it was the hand of Crom which pushed me to pick up that book in 1978.
We live so other may die. UnOfficial Motto of the USAF AMMO Troops

#66 Sturmrabe

Sturmrabe

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

Its was the edited Frazetta covered novels and Savage Sword of Conan at the same time, but I voted novels...
The Snowhawk Clan are traitorous dogs, who play AoC for epeen and leetboi status, and have lost all pretense of roleplay and adherence to lore...

One should die proudly
when it is no longer possible to live proudly.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

#67 Thunderblade

Thunderblade

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:57 AM

The movies when I was very young. Then eventually the comics.. the only comics I've ever owned. Then the Age of Conan MMORPG is bringing me back into the fold. =)

#68 CromCares

CromCares

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

The Marvel comics, then the REH books, then the first movie. Later got back into it when I started reading the Jordan Conan stuff. Really enjoying the DHC stuff being put out now.

#69 Melkorus

Melkorus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:55 PM

I've never been into comics and books...well, I read few every now and again but I wasn't into books really. Of course, I was/am big TV (and now PC) nerd, so that's how I first learned of Conan, Arnold's movies.

I must say tho, those two movies really did great injustice to Conan character and Hyboria. Up until I read REH's stories, I always imagined Conan as a dumb barbarian for which I really didn't care much, that's how two of the movies projected Conan onto me. I'm glad that Age Of Conan came along and motivated me to read REH's original stories and discover my favorite fantasy character: Conan.

Edited by Melkorus, 11 November 2006 - 09:56 PM.

#70 gunman42782

gunman42782

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:58 AM

I started with the Conan Marvel Comics. Did not take long before I was reading the real deal. Howard is/was a genuis!!!

#71 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

Savage Sword of Conan!

#72 Senta

Senta

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:29 AM

books, in my mother's language: Polish.

plus Frank Frazetta art - covers on those editions.

#73 Khan the Commander

Khan the Commander

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:43 AM

I was born in 1988, and I remember watching the Conan the Adventurer everyday before school when I was a child, so that's where my vote went. Just this summer I got the Conan the Barbarian/Conan the Destroyer 2 on 1 DVD by recommendation and started collecting Conan the Barbarian, Conan the King, and Kull the Conqueror/Destroyer (same series) comics. I just read Conan the Magnificent by Robert Jordan and really liked it, I'm getting The Coming of Conan and Kull Exile of Atlantis for Christmas and reeeeally looking forward to them. So yeah I guess I'm a noob hehe.

#74 Olgkert

Olgkert

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

I already knew Conan by the comics of Marvel but i worship him from the time i saw the first movie.Best movie of all times,by the way.

#75 Gothallica

Gothallica

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:16 AM

Wow...almost evryone knew Conan in such an early age...
I on the other hand just knew or Actually had an interest in Conan when I bought my first Darkhorse Conan comic, issue 17..I was stuck to the charcter ever since.

#76 Lee

Lee

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

My brother had all the sphere books. I used to read them. Robert E Howards work started my fascination with reading.

Edited by Lee, 08 February 2007 - 01:23 PM.

#77 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

I saw the first movie at the age of 12 (1985), then one year later I found in a public library four Conan books and three Howard modern day books with detective and lovecraftian stories. They were written in my mother tongue and so were translations.Here in Aquilonia (France), unfortunately, if you're not an english reader you can't still now have acces to Conan books without having to suffer from Sprague rewrites and butchering of stories: so I discovered the altered versions of some tales when I was young. Thanks to school and my interest in RPG books not translated in french, my english improved during the years and I'm now able to read REH in english. I've GM'd Conan with three different rulesets (including my homebrew one) and bought most of the pastiche books.My interest in Conan and REH has not faded since...oops! I realize it now... more than 20 years!
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#78 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

I'm glad that I read the Bob Howard stories as my introduction to Conan. His words (and Frank Frazetta paintings) gave me enough to allow my imagination to fill in the rest. (Marvel's comic versions were enjoyable, but it's amazing how Conan went almost his entire life in that one outfit.) I wouldn't have wanted to see Milius's version of Conan first. I went into that movie armed with enough knowledge of Howard's vision to recognize how wholly inaccurate was Milius's character.

Ditto with 'Lord of the Rings.' I got what this pedantic little English philology professor created. I didn't get the 're-interpretation' at all, the story and character changes.

I'm glad I was exposed to the original material first and was allowed time for my imagination to have fun with it.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#79 yimsha

yimsha

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Location:Coventry uk (reluctantly - geordie by birth and heritage

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

My auntie Sheila, a *** smoking beer drinking wench from a pit village just outside Newcastle gave me a copy of Savage Sword Of Conan adapting 'A Witch Shall Be Born' (which I found again a couple of months ago in a charity shop in Coventry where I now live - no longer do I live in the grim northern climes, although forever a barbarian at heart) . It was a classic - crucifixion, breaking Olgerd Vladislav's arm, half naked fillies and a big battle - perfect introduciton to Howard. I was completely hooked instantly. Sheila, god bless her heart then gave me a couple of paperbacks with Frazetta covers - Adventurer and Avenger (didn't realise that Nyberg was commiting an heinous crime at the time) and the covers blew my mind. It all grew out of that, and eventually I wrote my dissertation about Howard, his influence by Lovecraft etc and his use of the Celtic Superman in a similar vein to the aryan superman as used by some less charming people over the years. I gave her a mention in the acknowledgements and I aint sure she knows what an influence she had on my life.
I also got into comic collecting as a result, and I realised when I bought the Savage Sword edition mentioned above what a god awful example of comic art it really is, despite it's huge nostalgic value to me. I dabbled with the marvel series and (this is probabl;y another faux pas I was increasingly horrified by both Buscema's art and the murder of the character). I was ecstatic with the new Dark Horse adaptation, however, and I love the way they've managed to recreate the Frazzetta visuals in a narrative. I have always resisted writing into a comic, but I did in this case, and actually got printed.

The presentation of Conan in A Witch set the template for me - cunnning, capable of appauling violence, smart and political when necessary, but with a core of virtue which he isn't aware of. This was reinforced by the stories in Adventurer - People of the Black Circle, Pool of the Black One, The Slithering Shadow (Another one adapted by marvel) which is why I think I became increasingly irritated by the Marvel/Buscema interpretation.
'who dies first?'

#80 Lugh

Lugh

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

This poll is based on an idea from grim_cimmerian. It will remain active until interest wanes. Please feel free to comment.

My introduction to Conan was by my 6th/7th/8th Grade reading teacher Miss Kulak (she was so pretty). I had challenged the notion that reading could ever be FUN.

She handed me Conan with the frazetta cover with him strangling the ape with his thighs...

Try that on for size. I want a report on what you found fun about it and how it compares to say someone you didn't think was fun like Edgar Allen Poe.

--I have LOVED reading ever since.