Photo

Poll: Which Media Introduced You To Conan?

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Media Introduced You to Conan? (463 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Media Introduced You to Conan?

1. 1) Original Weird Tales Stories (13 votes [2.81%])

Percentage of vote: 2.81%

2. Voted 2) Edited Lancer/Ace/Sphere Novels(with Frazetta covers) (107 votes [23.11%])

Percentage of vote: 23.11%

3. 3) Conan stories by Other Authors (9 votes [1.94%])

Percentage of vote: 1.94%

4. 4) Conan Movie(s) (137 votes [29.59%])

Percentage of vote: 29.59%

5. 5) Conan TV Show or cartoons (15 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

6. 6) Conan RPGs (3 votes [0.65%])

Percentage of vote: 0.65%

7. Voted 7) Conan Marvel Comics (136 votes [29.37%])

Percentage of vote: 29.37%

8. 8) Conan Dark Horse Comics (12 votes [2.59%])

Percentage of vote: 2.59%

9. 9) Del Rey Unedited Howard Conan Books (17 votes [3.67%])

Percentage of vote: 3.67%

10. 10) Other sources (Including other REH creations) (14 votes [3.02%])

Percentage of vote: 3.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

For me, I had been aware of Conan, only through the Arnie movies.
I had a friend show me his collection of old paperbacks with the Frazetta covers to try and "Turn me" but I guess it was when the latest movie came out, I was intrigued by the differences with Arnie movies. I guess I wanted to see for myself which was closer to the original character.

I've been ploughing through the original stories since and can't seem to stop! :-)

Good deal!
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#222 Rargentum

Rargentum

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

For me, I had been aware of Conan, only through the Arnie movies.
I had a friend show me his collection of old paperbacks with the Frazetta covers to try and "Turn me" but I guess it was when the latest movie came out, I was intrigued by the differences with Arnie movies. I guess I wanted to see for myself which was closer to the original character.

I've been ploughing through the original stories since and can't seem to stop! :-)

Good deal!

It's working out pretty fun so far, I mean it's not often you like a book so much, you join a forum to talk about it
Applying a keenish critical eye to the Conan stories.
http://www.conanquotes.com

Follow on Twtter for Conan quotes:
https://twitter.com/QuotableConan

Loads of free guitar resources for anyone who plays guitar
http://robsilverguit...blogspot.co.uk/

#223 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

For me it was the Savage Sword of Conan comics, then the Arnie movies, then i went to the Tor Pastiche's...ironically i picked up the Howard books last!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#224 BarbaricBludgeoning

BarbaricBludgeoning

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

The Milius movie introduced to me it and for that i love it

#225 Hamilcar

Hamilcar

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

While I first watched the Milius movie when I was younger, I never knew there was so much more. It wasn't until my grandfather gave me all 12 of the old conan books with Frazetta covers when I graduated from high school that I really felt a impact. BLEW MY MIND.

#226 johnafter909

johnafter909

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

What prompted me to get reaquainted with REH and Conan was a desire about six months ago to see again the drawings of Jack Kirby. Last summer's comic book movies and the anticipation of this summer's Avengers, etc. sent me to the library and their Inter-Library Loan System to check out the Marvel Masterworks and Essential series of Thor, Fantastic Four and others. I'm 57 and only read comics from age 8-18. When I originally read these, I had no idea that Jack Kirby would become the artistic icon that he is considered to be today.
So, as I finished the superhero comics, I decided to re-read the Conan stories again. I first read them at age 13 with the Frazetta-covered Lancer paperbacks. A Conan-reading buddy and I created a group of Hyborean characters ourselves, intending to write our own stories but that never bore any fruit. All that remains is our little paragraqph character synopsises. I remember one was named Lanter, an Argossean archer but that's as far as my memory will allow. I started reading the first few Marvel Conan's with Barry Smith but that was right when I entered college and my roomate razzed me for still reading comic books and I stopped, then and there.
In my late 20s I re-read the Conan stories and also read the Kull, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn and El Borak stories.
When I recently re-read the Conan stories, I was reminded of the old Roy Thomas/Barry Smith comics that I had bailed on many many years prior. Researching on amazon.com, I was amazed at the sheer number of Conan titles! So, that's where I am now, reading all the Thomas/Windsor-Smith/Buscema Conan comic reprint compilations, the Savage Sword of Conan comps and the Kurt Busiek adaptations. I can't believe, at my age, how much I'm enjoying being re-acquainted with one of my all-time favorite fictional characters. I confess to enjoying the Savage Sword of Conan the best; with its fantastic b&w art, it seems to hew closest to the pulp origins of the character.
On a side note, when I was re-reading Thor, when John Buscema took over for Jack Kirby after the King's long run with the title, I felt the like the series really screeched to a halt and I blamed Buscema. Technically good, but he just couldn't move the story or convey the action like Kirby. Once I started reading some Buscema-drawn Conan stories, that totally changed my ignorant initial opinion of him. He's fantastic!
So, closing, I'm about halfway through the Chronicles of Conan, The SSOC and the Busiek Conan stuff and practically giddy with enjoyment. If there's anything I should also check on besides these title, recommend away, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for this forum!

#227 Russell12

Russell12

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

For me it was the Savage Sword of Conan comics, then the Arnie movies, then i went to the Tor Pastiche's...ironically i picked up the Howard books last!

Me too. Saved the best for last...
"We are men of action, lies do not become us."

#228 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

What prompted me to get reaquainted with REH and Conan was a desire about six months ago to see again the drawings of Jack Kirby. Last summer's comic book movies and the anticipation of this summer's Avengers, etc. sent me to the library and their Inter-Library Loan System to check out the Marvel Masterworks and Essential series of Thor, Fantastic Four and others. I'm 57 and only read comics from age 8-18. When I originally read these, I had no idea that Jack Kirby would become the artistic icon that he is considered to be today.
So, as I finished the superhero comics, I decided to re-read the Conan stories again. I first read them at age 13 with the Frazetta-covered Lancer paperbacks. A Conan-reading buddy and I created a group of Hyborean characters ourselves, intending to write our own stories but that never bore any fruit. All that remains is our little paragraqph character synopsises. I remember one was named Lanter, an Argossean archer but that's as far as my memory will allow. I started reading the first few Marvel Conan's with Barry Smith but that was right when I entered college and my roomate razzed me for still reading comic books and I stopped, then and there.
In my late 20s I re-read the Conan stories and also read the Kull, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn and El Borak stories.
When I recently re-read the Conan stories, I was reminded of the old Roy Thomas/Barry Smith comics that I had bailed on many many years prior. Researching on amazon.com, I was amazed at the sheer number of Conan titles! So, that's where I am now, reading all the Thomas/Windsor-Smith/Buscema Conan comic reprint compilations, the Savage Sword of Conan comps and the Kurt Busiek adaptations. I can't believe, at my age, how much I'm enjoying being re-acquainted with one of my all-time favorite fictional characters. I confess to enjoying the Savage Sword of Conan the best; with its fantastic b&w art, it seems to hew closest to the pulp origins of the character.
On a side note, when I was re-reading Thor, when John Buscema took over for Jack Kirby after the King's long run with the title, I felt the like the series really screeched to a halt and I blamed Buscema. Technically good, but he just couldn't move the story or convey the action like Kirby. Once I started reading some Buscema-drawn Conan stories, that totally changed my ignorant initial opinion of him. He's fantastic!
So, closing, I'm about halfway through the Chronicles of Conan, The SSOC and the Busiek Conan stuff and practically giddy with enjoyment. If there's anything I should also check on besides these title, recommend away, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for this forum!

Quite the odyssey! Welcome to the pack! :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#229 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

That you did. B) Welcome to the forum.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#230 Russell12

Russell12

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

That you did. B) Welcome to the forum.

Thanks man!
"We are men of action, lies do not become us."

#231 jonanthebarbarian

jonanthebarbarian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

I remember the movie and the cartoon as a kid, but it wasnt until I started sneaking my brothers Savage Swords and Conan the Savage that I really became addicted

#232 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

I remember the movie and the cartoon as a kid, but it wasnt until I started sneaking my brothers Savage Swords and Conan the Savage that I really became addicted

Some good stuff in those mags. Hope you're also reading the straight REH Conan from Del Rey.

#233 jonanthebarbarian

jonanthebarbarian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

Some good stuff in those mags. Hope you're also reading the straight REH Conan from Del Rey.

Absolutley I have the collections and scoured used book stores for the older copies with the Frazetta covers and featured stories with Howard and L. Spraug de Camp and others

#234 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

Deadlock tie between the Conan movies and the Conan comics! If you are new to the forum - please vote! Tis' the season for voting. :)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#235 Element0s

Element0s

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm a heavy metal fanatic, and one of my favorite current bands is the German "Atlantean Kodex". I bought a copy of their EP, "The Pnakotic Demos" on double 10" vinyl which came with a massive insert booklet and cool liner notes about every song. The liner notes from their song "Marching Homeward" stated that the song's lyrics were directly based on Bran Mak Morn by REH, and they went on to say that REH is the greatest Sword & Sorcery writer of blah-dee-blah. So I jumped onto Wikipedia to see who this REH guy was, and I was really surprised to see that he was the creator of Conan. After browsing some of his story titles and looking into what his stuff was about, I got very intruiged. I found a copy of one of the Del Ray collections at my local library and jumped in head-first. I can't remember exactly which Conan story was my first, but "Shadows in the Moonlight" sticks out, it might have been that one. That was my first true Conan experience.

Of course, I had been aware of the Conan movies, comics and novels before that. He's a pretty hard-to-miss pop culture icon. But the uneditted Del Ray REH stories were my first true experience, and I only wish it had happened sooner than 4 or 5 years ago!

edit: oh yeah, if anyone wants to check out that Atlantean Kodex song I mentioned, here ya go:

Edited by Element0s, 25 November 2012 - 09:13 PM.

Gatekeeper

http://gatekeeper-vinland.blogspot.ca

Epic heavy metal inspired by Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft and much more.

#236 Crom2006

Crom2006

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

I was first introduced to Conan when I saw the Arnold movies at the age of 12. Because my Dad knew that I liked the movies, he bought me "The Coming of Conan" book which featured the first Conan stories in written order. The moment I finished reading "Phoenix of the Sword", I could not get enough Conan. Plus, it was because of Howard's writing that I now enjoy reading books. I thank my Dad for buying that book and getting me intrested in Robert E Howard's stories, I thank Mr. Howard for writing for those awesome stories, and I even have to thank Arnold and John Mulis for introducing the character to me even though their version of Conan was much different from Howard's original vision.

Edited by Crom2006, 31 December 2012 - 02:59 AM.

#237 Crom2006

Crom2006

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

By the way, sorry for starting a post that already existed. I did not know there was already a post covering this topic. Is there a warning to make sure that I could avoid this mistake? This is the 2nd time I made this mistake.

#238 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

By the way, sorry for starting a post that already existed. I did not know there was already a post covering this topic. Is there a warning to make sure that I could avoid this mistake? This is the 2nd time I made this mistake.

No warning Crom2006 - just use the search feature. It works really well and usually will help you out. Glad you are enjoying the forum - especially the polls!

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#239 Gamerstable Eric

Gamerstable Eric

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

I walked into the local movie theater and asked for a ticket to matinee of Conan the Barbarian.

The lady looked at me, looked around (seeing no one else in line), gave me a wry smile and sold me a ticket.

I was 10 years old and it was my first rated R movie.
Are you a gamer? Listen to Gamerstable.

#240 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

That woman scared you for life, you thought from then onwards Conan was Arnold!! :P

Though no doubt the film did push Howard out there for most as it seems by the poll, I would say the comics had more an impact on most no doubt as they were before the films by nearly a decade, and they still made people aware of Conan and howard. Though I would think that the majority have forgot that it was the film that made them buy the comic I bet and not the other way around? I did collect the comic first though and remember saying to friends Arnold should play conan as he is built for it. Then I was young dumb and full of .......

I am surprised the Frank Fra books did not poll higher than the comics tbh.
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century