29 replies to this topic

#1 Fantomas

Fantomas

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 11:40 PM

Here's the place to give your favorite quote of REH's prose from his Conan stories.

What passage just made you speechless? Which one stuck with you? Or made you think "That's just damn cool"?

#2 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:28 PM

Have always liked this peice.

"Why do the guardsmen pursue you?" asked Tito. "Not that it's any of my business, but I thought perhaps-"

"I've nothing to conceal," replied the Cimmerian. "By Crom, though I've spend considerable time among you civilised peoples, your ways are still beyond my comprehension."

"Well, last night in a tavern, a captain in the king's guard offered violence to the sweetheart of a young soldier, who naturally ran him through. But it seems there is some cursed law against killing guardsmen, and the boy and his girl fled away. It was bruited about that I was seen with them, and so today I was haled into court, and a judge asked me where the lad had gone. I replied that since he was a friend of mine, I could not betray him. Then
the court waxed wrath, and the judge talked a great deal about my duty to the state, and society, and other things I did not understand, and bade me tell where my friend had flown. By this time I was becoming wrathful myself, for I had explained my position."

"But I choked my ire and held my peace, and the judge squalled that I had shown contempt for the court, and that I should be hurled into a dungeon to rot untill I betrayed my friend. So then, seeing they were all mad, I drew my sword and cleft the judge's skull; then I cut my way out of the court, and seeing the high constable's stallion tied nearby, I rode for the wharfs, where I thought to find a ship bound for foreign parts."

Queen of the Black Coast.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#3 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 07:44 PM

See the first quote in my signature. That's it.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#4 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:29 AM

Conan was as much a part of this wilderness as Balthus was alien to it. The Cimmerian might have spent years among the great cities of the world; he might have walked with the rulers of civilisation; he might even achive his wild whim some day and rule as king of a civilised nation; stranger things had happened. but he was no less a barbarian. He was concerned only with the naked fundamentals of life. The warm intimacies of small, kindly thins, the sentiments and delicious trivialities that make up so much of civilsed men's lives were meaningless to him. A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with watchdogs. Bloodshed and violence and savagery were the natural elements of the life Conan knew; he could not, he would never, understand the little things that are so dear to civilised men and women.

REH, Beyond the Black River

He seated himself near her on a boulder, his broadsword across his knees. With the firelight glinting from his blue steel armor, he seemed like an image of steel-dynamic power for the moment quiescent; not resting, but motionless for the instant, awaiting the signal to plunge again into terrific action. The firelight played on his features, making them seem as if carved out of substance shadowy yet hard as steel. They were immobile, but his eyes smoldered with fierce life. He was not merely a wild man; he was part of the wild, one with untameable elements of life; in his veins ran the blood of the wolf-pack; in his brain lurked the brooding depths of the northern night; his heart throbbed with the blazing forests.

REH, Black Colossus

"You are more fit to inflict torture than to endure it," said Conan tranquilly. "I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are solf; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown.

REH, A Witch Shall Be Born

Conan put his back against the wall and lifted his ax. He stood like an image of the unconquerable primordial- legs braced far apart, head thrust forward, one hand clutching the wall for support, the othergripping the ax on high, with the great corded muscles standing out in iron ridges, and his features frozen in a death snarl of fury- his eyes blazing terribly through the mist of blood which veiled them. The men faltered-wild, criminal and dissolute through they were, yet they came from a breed of men called civilised, with a civilised background; here was a barbarian-the natural killer. They shrank back-the dying tiger could still deal death.

REH, The Phoenix on the Sword

#5 cimerians

cimerians

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 06:04 AM

There are so many in almost each of Robert E. Howards stories. Rogues in the House had some unforgetable moments as did a Witch Shall be Born. Queen of the Black Coast had another huge moment when Conan speaks of himself and his life.

Here is one that I thought was very striking. I actually put the book down and let out a roar:

But Almaric exclaimed: "It is absurd to dream that Conan lives!"

For answer, Xaltotun cast a roll of parchment on the table.

Amalric caught it up, glared at it. From his lips burst a furious, incoherent cry. He read:

To Xaltotun, grand fakir of Nemedia: Dog of Acheron, I am returning to my kingdom, and I mean to hang your hide on a bramble.
Conan

----Hour of the Dragon

#6 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 07:01 AM

A little something from the fairer sex.

Valeria fought beside him, her lips smiling and her eyes blazing. She was stronger than the average man, and far quicker and more ferocious. Her sword was like a living thing in her hand. Where Conan beat down opposition by the sheer weight and power of his blows, breaking spears, splitting skulls and cleaving bosoms to the breastbone, Valeria brought into action a finesse of swordplay that dazzled and bewildered her antagonist before it slew them. Again and again a warrior, heaving high his heavy blade, found her point in his jugular before he could strike. Conan, towering above the field, strode through the welter smiting left and right, but Valeria moved like an illusive phantom, constantly shifting, and thrusting and slashing as she shifted. Swords missed her again and again as the wielders flailed the empty air and died with her point in their hearts or throats, and her mocking laughter in their ears.

REH, Red Nails

Now for some nice combat.

With his back to the wall he faced the closing ring for a flashing instant, then leaped into the the thick of them. He was no defensive fighter; even in the teeth of overwhelming odds he always carried the fight to the enemy. any other man would have already died there, and Conan himself did not hope to survive, but he did ferociously wish to inflict as much damage as he could before he fell. His barbaric soul was ablaze, and the chants of old heroes were singing in his ears.

"Gromel!", he spat, his eyes blazing in amazement, as the shattered helmet disclosed the shattered head; then the pack were apon him. A dagger point raked along his ribs between breastplate and backplate, a sword-edge flashed before his eyes. He flung aside the dagger-weilder with his left arm, and smashed his broken hilt like a cestus into the swordsman's temple. The man's brains spattered in his face.

REH, The Phoenix on the Sword

#7 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:54 AM

"I think of Life!" he roared. "The dead are dead, and what has passed is done! I have a ship and a fighting crew and a girl with lips like wine, and that's all I ever asked. Lick your wounds, bullies, and break out a cask of ale. You're going to work ship as she never was worked before. Dance and sing while you buckle to it, damn you! To the devil with empty seas! We're bound for waters where the seaports are fat, and the merchant ships are crammed with plunder!"
The Pool of the Black One-REH

"I swear by Mitra!" gurgled Thespius, gagging on the blood that gushed to his lips. "It was he who carried off Albiona! He is not dead-no phantom come back from hell to haunt us. He is flesh and blood, and more terrible than ever. The alley behind the tower is full of dead men. Beware, Valerius-he has come back- to slay us all!"
The Hour of the Dragon-REH

?No, he is a Cimmerian, one of those wild tribesmen who dwell in the gray hills of the north.?
?I fought his ancestors of old,? muttered Xaltotun. ?Not even the kings of Acheron could conquer them.?
The Hour of The Dragon-REH

"What did you say to the Pict?? asked Balthus.

?Told him to pull into shore; said there was a white forest runner on the bank who was trying to get a shot at him.?

?That doesn't seem fair,? Balthus objected. ?He thought a friend was speaking to him. You mimicked a Pict perfectly??

?We needed his boat,? grunted Conan, not pausing in his exertions. ?Only way to lure him to the bank. Which is worse ? to betray a Pict who'd enjoy skinning us both alive, or betray the men across the river whose lives depend on our getting over??
Beyond the Black River
"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#8 War Song

War Song

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

My favorites:

"Have they shut you into the street?" he asked in barbarous Kothic, reaching for her. His fingers closed lightly about her rounded wrist, but she felt that he could splinter its bones without effort. "I've but come from the last wine-shop open Ishtar's curse on these white-livered reformers who close the grog-houses! 'Let men sleep rather than guzzle," they say--aye, so they can work and fight better for their masters! Soft-gutted eunuchs, I call them. When I served with the mercenaries of Corinthia we swilled and wenched all night and fought all day, aye, blood ran down the channels of our swords."

-- Conan, Black Colossus

"Because that was all the powder I possessed. The obtaining of it was a feat which in itself was enough to make me famous among the thieves of the world. I stole it out of a caravan bound for Stygia, and I lifted it, in its cloth-of-gold bag, out of the coils of the great serpent which guarded it, without awaking him. But come, in Bel's name! Are we to waste the night in discussion?"

-- Taurus of Nemedia, The Tower of the Elephant

At first they seemed like gray stone statues, those motionless shapes, hairy, man-like, yet hideously human; but their eyes were alive, cold sparks of gray icy fire. And as the weird glow lit their bestial countenances, Gorulga screamed and fell backward, throwing up his long arms in a gesture of frenzied horror.

But a longer arm shot across the altar and a misshapen hand locked on his throat. Screaming and fighting, the high priest was dragged back across the altar; a hammer-like fist smashed down, and Gorulga's cries were stilled. Limp and broken he sagged cross the altar; his brains oozing from his crushed skull. And then the servants of Bit-Yakin surged like a bursting flood from Hell on the black priests who stood like horror-blasted images.

Then there was slaughter, grim and appalling.

-- Jewels of Gwahlur

"When did a priest keep an oath?" complained Conan, comprehending the trend of the conversation. "Let me cut his throat; I want to see what color his blood is. They say in the Maze that his heart is black, so his blood must be black, too--"

-- Conan, Rogues in the House

Edited by War Song, 10 October 2006 - 09:10 AM.

#9 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

Here's the place to give your favorite quote of REH's prose from his Conan stories.

What passage just made you speechless? Which one stuck with you? Or made you think "That's just damn cool"?

Indy has been busy getting the new REHupa mailing out, so I'll offer up one of his favorites -- the one from which he got the title of his zine:

"The soldiers, who do not believe in ghosts or devils," he said, "are almost in a panic of fear. You, who believe in ghosts, ghouls, goblins, and all manner of uncanny things, do not seem to fear any of the things in which you believe."

"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut," answered Conan.
[Beyond the Black River]

There are, of course, many quotable lines in almost any Conan story. Another good one from Beyond the Black River -- same chapter, in fact -- is

"When they smoke my head the whole river will know it," grunted Conan. "They'll hear the Pictish women wailing their dead as far as Velitrium...."

Another favorite, along the lines of the "cold steel" remark above, is "...a good knife is always a hearty incantation," from People of the Black Circle.

As far as more extended passages, I think the opening chapter of Hour of the Dragon is a masterpiece of mood, atmosphere, and chilling *suggestion* of horror, with some very poetic bits. Here is the first paragraph, done in the "found poem" style that Charles Gramlich used to demonstrate frequently in REHupa (and, it should be said, far more ably than I, who am no poet):

The long tapers flickered, sending
the black shadows wavering
along the walls, and the velvet tapestries
rippled.
Yet there was no wind in the chamber.
Four men stood about
the ebony table
on which lay the green sarcophagus
that gleamed like carven jade.
In the upraised right hand
of each man a curious
black candle burned
with a weird greenish light.
Outside was night
and a lost wind moaning
among the black trees.

For suggestion of creeping horror, there is

The other three drew in their breath sharply, and the dark, powerful man who stood at the head of the sarcophagus whispered: "The Heart of Ahriman!" The other lifted a quick hand for silence. Somewhere a dog began howling dolefully, and a stealthy step padded outside the barred and bolted door.

And a few short paragraphs later

Again a trembling finger warned for silence. The hound outside was no longer howling. He whimpered, as with an evil dream, and then that sound, too, died away in silence, in which the yellow-haired man plainly heard the straining of the heavy door, as if something outside pushed powerfully upon it. He half turned, his hand at his sword, but the man in the ermine robe hissed an urgent warning: "Stay! Do not break the chain! And on your life do not go to the door!

I've always thought that REH was a master of the opening paragraph. Frequently he just grabs you by the throat and pulls you immediately into the story. One of his best is the first paragraph of Queen of the Black Coast:

Hoofs drummed down the street that sloped to the wharfs. The folk that yelled and scattered had only a fleeting glimpse of a mailed figure on a black stallion, a wide scarlet cloak flowing out on the wind. Far up the street came the shout and clatter of pursuit, but the horseman did not look back. He swept out onto the wharfs and jerked the plunging stallion back on its haunches at the very lip of the pier. Seamen gaped up at him, as they stood to the sweep and striped sail of a high-prowed, broad-waisted galley. The master, sturdy and black-bearded, stood in the bows, easing her away from the piles with a boat-hook. He yelled angrily as the horseman sprang from the saddle and with a long leap landed squarely on the mid-deck.

I don't know about anyone else, but that sure made *me* want to know what the heck was going on.

Another favorite line, from Red Nails:

He stepped toward her, and she sprang back, whipping out her sword.

"Keep back, you barbarian dog! I'll spit you like a roast pig!"

And from The Scarlet Citadel:

"Free my hands and I'll varnish this floor with your brains!"

Rusty

#10 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

I can't believe that I forgot my absolute all-time favorite:

"What? Why, if I told you, you would not believe me. But I am wearied of conversation with you; it is less fatiguing to destroy a walled city than it is to frame my thoughts in words a brainless barbarian can understand."

"If my hands were free," opined Conan, "I'd soon make a brainless corpse out of you."
REH-The Hour of the Dragon

Edited by Arias de Camp, 10 October 2006 - 05:45 PM.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#11 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

My favorite Conan quote ? - Everything the bastard had to say in every story !! - For the sake of brevity just a couple of the best -
[quote]" Then I'll KEEP killing them until they STAY dead ! "[/quote]
[quote]" If you'd said that to one of my wilder brothers , you'd have found yourself with a split head . But I've lived among you civilized men long enough to understand your ignorance and lack of common courtesy -"[/quote]
[quote]" It'll take a bigger ocean than that one to drown me ."[/quote]To a room full of cutthroat pirates.....
[quote]" SIT DOWN ! " he roared banging his broad blade on the table[/quote]
[quote]" Not a thing ," Conan admitted cheerfully . " Except the fact that if you do Strom's men will sail away and leave you stranded on this coast where the picts will presently cut all your throats ; and the fact that with me dead you'd never find the treasure ; and the fact that I'll split your skull down to your chin if you try to summon your men ."[/quote]

& of course that one Rusty posted is classic....
[quote]name='Rusty Burke' post='54546']
"When they smoke my head the whole river will know it," grunted Conan. "They'll hear the Pictish women wailing their dead as far as Velitrium...."[/quote]

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 10 October 2006 - 09:14 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#12 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

These always really stood out to me:

"I have known many gods. He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply. I seek not beyond death. It may be the blackness averred by the Nemedian skeptics, or Crom's realm of ice and cloud, or the snowy plains and vaulted halls of the Nordheimer's Valhalla. I know not, nor do I care. Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

- Queen of the Black Coast

Beyond the river the primitive still reigned in shadowy forests, brush-thatched huts where hung the grinning skulls of men, and mud-walled enclosures where fires flickered and drums rumbled, and spears were whetted in the hands of dark, silent men with tangled black hair and the eyes of serpents. Those eyes often glared through bushes at the fort across the river. Once dark-skinned men had built their huts where that fort stood, yes, and their huts had risen where now stood the fields and log cabins of fair-haired settlers, back beyond Velitrium, that raw, turbulent frontier town on the banks of Thunder River, to the shores of that other river that bounds the Bossonian marches. Traders had come, and priests of Mitra who walked with bare feet and empty hands, and died horribly, most of them; but soldiers had followed, men with axes in their hands and women and children in ox-drawn wains. Back to Thunder River, and still back, beyond Black River, the aborigines had been pushed, with slaughter and massacre. But the dark-skinned people did not forget that once Conajohara had been theirs.
- Beyond the Black River

His barbaric soul was ablaze, and the chants of old heroes were singing in his ears.
- The Phoenix on the Sword

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#13 Black Indy

Black Indy

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

Well, Rusty covered my two favorites for me:

"There's is nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut."

"...and a good knife is always a hearty incantation."

The second one actually edges out the first as favorite one-line type quotes.

My favorite extended quote/paragraph is from Beyond the Black River, where the Zogar Sag demon taunts Conan with the Four Brothers of the Night speech:

"My brother had not painted a skull black for you and hurled it into the fire that burns for ever on Gullah's black altar. He had not whispered your name to the black ghosts that haunt the uplands of the Dark Land. But a bat has flown over the Mountains of the Dead and drawn your image in blood on the white tiger's hide that hangs before the long hut where sleep the Four Brothers of the Night. The great serpents coil about their feet and the stars burn like fire-flies in their hair."

Wow.

Black Indy

#14 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

From The Frost-Giant's Daughter, Amra has just finished the two frost giants:

Amra wheeled, to see the girl standing a short distance away, staring in wide-eyed horror, all mockery gone from her face. He cried out fiercely and the blood-drops flew from his sword as his hand shook in the intensity of his passion.
?Call the rest of your brothers!? he roared. ?Call the dogs! I?ll give their hearts to the wolves!?

This is pretty definitional of an "Aw Sh!t!" moment.

#15 Ymir

Ymir

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

I've always loved the beginning of The Thing in the Crypt. Born in 1977, I was introduced to Conan through the film and reading the famous opening in Howard's original words was a real thrill:

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Sygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to read the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

-The Thing in the Crypt
http://swordcinema.blogspot.com/

#16 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

I've always loved the beginning of The Thing in the Crypt. Born in 1977, I was introduced to Conan through the film and reading the famous opening in Howard's original words was a real thrill:

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Sygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to read the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

-The Thing in the Crypt

That line is from The Phoenix on the Sword. L. Sprague deCamp moved it.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#17 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:32 AM

This one really gets under my skin...

Zuleika was neither brave nor admirable. She neither lived with dignity nor met her fate with courage. She was cowardly, immoral and foolish. But even a fly loves life, and a worm would cry out under the heel that crushed it. And perhaps, in the grim inscrutable books of Fate, even an emperor may not forever trample insects with impunity.

-Lord of Samarcand
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#18 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:26 AM

Rush in and die dogs-- I was a man before I was king!

I always tell people about that quote. I love it.
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#19 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:48 AM

-The Thing in the Crypt

That line is from The Phoenix on the Sword. L. Sprague deCamp moved it.

According to Gary Romeo, LSdC never fooled anybody into thinking non-REH prose was actually Howard's writing. Not buying it. I've seen several members post on here over the years thinking that "The Thing in the Crypt" was Howard's. Plenty of others just stated that they were confused or never realized the Lancer stories were by different people.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#20 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

As I've stated in another thread, many of my favorite Conan quotes come from Xuthal of the Dusk;

"I'll vanish your head from your shoulders!"

"By Crom, I do not like this place, where dead men rise, and sleeping men vanish into the bellies of shadows!"

"Stand aside, girl, now is the feasting of swords."

Aside from those, there are other quotes I love because rather than being awesome or profound, they just really make me laugh. I find it hilarious any time Conan talks to birds:

"As he topped the farther crest of the slope, a raucous screaming burst out over his head, and looking up, he saw the raven flapping high above him, cawing incessantly. As he rode on, it followed him, maintaining its position and making the morning hideous with its strident cries, heedless of his efforts to drive it away. This kept up for hours, until Conan's teeth were on edge, and he felt that he would give half his kingdom to be allowed to wring that black neck.

"Devils of hell!" he roared in futile rage, shaking his mailed fist at the the frantic bird. "Why do you harry me with your squawking? Begone, you black spawn of perdition, and peck for wheat in the farmers' fields!"
-Hour of the Dragon

"Crom!" muttered the Cimmerian. "Here must be the grandfather of all parrots. He must be a thousand years old! Look at the evil wisdom of his eyes. What mysteries do you guard, Wise Devil?"
-Iron Shadows in the Moon

To this day whenever a bird squawks at me I find myself shaking my fist at it and yelling "What mysteries do you guard, Wise Devil!?"

My neighbors must think I'm insane.