611 replies to this topic

#1 DeathAdder

DeathAdder

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 04:19 AM

I got in an arguement with some undercover Star Trek fans hating on Conan. They had no idea about all the greatness of Conan outside of the Television series. Well... needless to say, atleast Conan is realistic.

#2 Gladius

Gladius

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 05:41 AM

I don't think the 'realism' argument is the best way to gain an advantage in a 'Conan vs. Anything' argument. He does live in a fictional era where magic and dragons exist, so...

However, Conan is awesome... but so is Star Trek. Can't we all just get along?

#3 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:16 PM

I agree with you Gladius. I love Howard, Tolkien, and I am a Trekky to boot.
Take care,
"An Boghadair" ("The Archer")
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#4 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 02:38 PM

However, Conan is awesome... but so is Star Trek. Can't we all just get along?

Have to agree. Currently I am a fan of; Howard, Lovecraft, ST:TOS, ST:DS9, the first three Star Wars films, Poe, Angel, Pro Wrestling, Verne, Wells, Frank Miller, the list is endless.

When your intrest turns into obsession, it's time to pull back.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#5 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 04:51 PM

I am a Conan enthusiast and a Star Wars/Star Trek enthusiast as well and a 'Scaper to boot. I see no reason to compare and contrast them, however, Conan from Stars Wars, Star Trek or Farscape. None are better than any other. They're all different and they're all great entertainment.
Crom!

#6 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 05:11 PM

DA,
I think it is a mute point trying to compair two totally different series but then again I can never understand the same sort of argument that happens between similar gendre fans anyway.. you know the old "Enterprise is better than a star destroyer" type argument.. its pointless as a comparison will never happen on screen anyway..

And yep, Im a trekkie too

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#7 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 05:49 PM

Hit the nail on the head!
"Their present king is the most renowned warrior among the western nations. He is an outlander, an adventurer who seized the crown by force during a time of civil strife, strangling King Namedides with his own hands, upon the very throne. His name is Conan, and no man can stand before him in battle." ~ Orastes, 'The Hour Of The Dragon'

"Damned degenerates!" ~ Conan 'Xuthal Of The Dusk'

#8 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:33 PM

Hit the nail on the head!

The following story is a bit OT so please bear with me.

Several years ago my wife and I attended a scifi con where the creater of Babylon 5, JMS*, was the guest speaker. While my wife went to a panel on which weither B5 was better or worse then ST:TNG I was at a different panel.

During the course of the B5vsST:TNG panel, my wife became more and more angered at what she felt was a waste of time. Finally, she stood up and told the people how she felt about the whole thing. She concluded by telling them that both shows were interruptions of the future and to chose one as being better then another was to limit yourself and fail to see the possibilities that surround us everyday.

Before she could storm out the door, a member of the audiance stood up and agreed with my wife and told them there were better ways to spend their time then debating this subject. He then took off his sunglasses and hat and it turned out that it was JMS. He then said that he created the show so that people might start to think about things and ideas that they normally would not. He did not create it so that people could argue over how better it was over other scifi shows.

As an end note, he was so taken with my wife's position that he asked her to dinner with him and his wife. She agreed only if her husband, that's me, could come along.
Thats how I got my picture of the entire 2nd season cast with everyones autograph.

So have the intrests that you have, and let them lead you to other intrests. Not limit you to just a few isolated areas.

*using JMS because I cannot remember how to spell his last name.

#9 Shrews

Shrews

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:47 PM

oy vey...

gimme a break.

so Conan can't do the Vulcan death grip, so what?
SIGHHHHHHH

as bad as gamers I know arguing over who will be a certain demi-god in the D&D manual because one is HOTTER than the other....
SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
For all the works of cultured man
Must fare and fade and fall.
I am the Dark Barbarian
That towers over all.
-Robert E. Howard, "A Word
from the Outer Dark"

#10 Amra31

Amra31

Cimmerian Absolution

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 04:49 AM

Well spoken Kane

I like several things besides' Conan and don't feel the need to compare them. They all have characteristics that suck me in when i am pursuing that particular subject but the experience is different with each like or hobby so to speak.
Honor above all

#11 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 08:51 AM

Don't get me started on my Remo Williams kick now!

The Destroyer... now THAT is realism! ;)

All said 'tongue in cheek' but I really do dig those books.
"Their present king is the most renowned warrior among the western nations. He is an outlander, an adventurer who seized the crown by force during a time of civil strife, strangling King Namedides with his own hands, upon the very throne. His name is Conan, and no man can stand before him in battle." ~ Orastes, 'The Hour Of The Dragon'

#12 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 10:43 AM

The Destroyer... now THAT is realism!  ;)

Hells!! :blink:

I thought I was the only one who read those things.

Also, The Death Merchant and Executioner(Pendelton only).

#13 broncoboxer

broncoboxer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:45 AM

I'm no Trekky, but I don't waste time debating why I find Conan more entertaining. It's mostly subjective, anyway. Like they say: to each his own.
"Crom, count the dead!"

#14 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 08:22 PM

The Destroyer... now THAT is realism!? ;)

Hells!! :blink:

I thought I was the only one who read those things.

Also, The Death Merchant and Executioner(Pendelton only).

:D Oh yeah!

Haven't read much of The Death Merchant and only one Executioner. But I got hooked onto The Destroyer when I joined the service.

#15 DeathAdder

DeathAdder

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 08:57 PM

lol! (actually) great posts...

anyway DEATH ADDER speaks finally!

What I meant with the realism debate is that the physics behind Star Trek make absolutely no sense. Not to get into an off-topic analysis of why Star Trek is too-fake but the main problem with it's realism is the "warp" light speed travel. Time apparently stops at the speed of light so when the enterprise stops or whatever it is, technically they should be in another year or decade or whatever. Like I said, I don't want to get into that.

On the other hand, Conan is realistic because it is based on earth. Conan is a barbarian and he does his thing. Sure there's magic and dragons, but I'm sure some people out there believe the bible is true too. So is Conan really that far-fetched compared to Star Trek? Not really. Did I mention that all the sentient life forms in Trek look humanoid? Speak english? Oh my bad, it's that universal translator that just happens to convert every known or unknown language. The list goes on. Conan is still truer to life than Captain Jean Luc Picard.

By the way, just to clarify, I'm not hating on Trek. I do love the Next Generation, but can't stand the other spin-offs.

Conan!!!

Cheers,
Greg aka Death Adder :ph34r:

#16 Gorulga

Gorulga

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 06:06 PM

I usually enjoy reading that sort of stuff. Recently I read somewhere a topic that pitted Neo from "Matrix" against Rambo. That batch of kids voted overwhelmingly in favour of Neo but I disagree. Neo may have some major computergenerated powers but he is a wimp. A cleanshaven, freshsmelling, new generation sheep. He could never endure being tortured by the Vietcong like Rambo did. I'ts kinda dumb when they compare the new CGI charachers to the previous generation of action heroes.

Rambo vs. The Terminator. Hollwood should make a few like that just for the heck of it.

Of course Enterprise would win over a stardestroyer. Those things just look intimidating but they are hopelessly inefficient. Now if a stardestroyer changed sides to a good guy just maybe it would improve it's aim a bit and stop ramming other stardestoyers. Then the enterprise would be in big trouble. Unless Picard and Darth Vader met and Picard could get Vader to listen to his true feelings.

All those aliens in startrek besides being humanoid and speaking english they are all so stupid and onedimensional. Those Vulcans who think logically without emotion etc. All of them has a charachteristic screwup and then comes the startrek crew and counsels them. The aliens are like mirrors for their inner search. The final frontier is their own head, not space. Don't kick that messy, trespassing alien out into space, just ask him how he really feels and he'll straighten out beacuse after all, we are all one. Many New Age people think the episodes are channelings, that we are being guided to a better world when we watch Startrek. Hmmmm.

Conan vs. Tarzan would be a good matchup. Tarzan is a pretty hard dude. He took a few shots in a duel once and just shrugged his shoulders.

Give Conan a lightsaber too and he would kick jedi ass. Of course he ain't stupid enough to go up against a lightsaber without having one himself. We know that Jedi mindtricks don't work on him also. Neither did they on Watto.

#17 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 09:41 PM

Tarzan Vs. Conan. Must admit that is a match that I would be excited to see. Both are characters that never became wholly civilised, both were required by their early surroundings to maximize their natural abilities and neither is above eliminating an enemy that could later prove to be a danger. I'll have to spend some time thinking about that one.

#18 DeathAdder

DeathAdder

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 04:32 AM

Rambo versus Conan would certainly be interesting.

#19 Nikolai II

Nikolai II

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 08:40 AM

I usually enjoy reading that sort of stuff.

As long as you remember that it isn't logic or skill that dictates the victor, only the authors preferenses B)

But Conan vs Predator would be pretty cool :P

#20 pumped up

pumped up

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 02:13 PM

Conan vs He-man :D
"That Which does not kill us, make us stronger"