• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:03 PM

Beverly Hills, CA (February 6, 2006) - Paradox Entertainment announced today that the company has acquired all rights to the library of author Robert E. Howard, the creator of Conan and over 800 other literary pieces. Paradox Entertainment has owned Howard?s Conan since 2002 and the new addition of the entire library gathers all of Howard?s writings under one company.

?We have been negotiating this transaction for a year and we are confident of its tremendous value. I don?t think it?s possible to overestimate the magnitude of this purchase,? said Peter Sederowsky, Chairman of the Board at Paradox Entertainment AB.

?Robert E. Howard is undoubtedly one of the greatest fantasy authors of the 20th century, with an enormous list of works. It is mind-boggling that only four movies have been made based on his writings. Through this purchase we are securing an extensive production slate through long-term partnership in all areas of entertainment and media. We are already considering many projects and are excited for the future,? said Fredrik Malmberg, Head of Licensing & Creative Affairs at Paradox Entertainment Inc. in Los Angeles.

Robert E. Howard was one of the greatest authors of his time and is considered the creator of the genre ?Sword & Sorcery?, perhaps most known through the character Conan. Despite his short literary career ? Howard died at the mere age of 30, after only 12 years as a productive author ? he wrote over 800 stories and poems. Howard?s breakthrough came when being published in the pulp magazine Weird Tales during the 1930s. His stories take us to such different surroundings as ancient Atlantis, the North African desert during WW1, hidden opium dens in dark alleys of the Big City, and northern Britain during the invasion of the Roman Legions.

Over the years, many authors have been inspired by Howard?s stories, and have praised his literary legacy, among them H. P. Lovecraft, Michael Moorcock, and Stephen King, who said about Howard: ?In his best work, Howard?s writing seems so highly charged with energy that it nearly gives off sparks. Stories such as ?People of the Black Circle? glow with the fierce and eldritch light of his frenzied intensity.?

# # #

#2 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:09 PM

Beverly Hills, CA (February 6, 2006) - Paradox Entertainment announced today that the company has acquired all rights to the library of author Robert E. Howard, the creator of Conan and over 800 other literary pieces. Paradox Entertainment has owned Howard?s Conan since 2002 and the new addition of the entire library gathers all of Howard?s writings under one company.

?We have been negotiating this transaction for a year and we are confident of its tremendous value. I don?t think it?s possible to overestimate the magnitude of this purchase,? said Peter Sederowsky, Chairman of the Board at Paradox Entertainment AB.

?Robert E. Howard is undoubtedly one of the greatest fantasy authors of the 20th century, with an enormous list of works. It is mind-boggling that only four movies have been made based on his writings. Through this purchase we are securing an extensive production slate through long-term partnership in all areas of entertainment and media. We are already considering many projects and are excited for the future,? said Fredrik Malmberg, Head of Licensing & Creative Affairs at Paradox Entertainment Inc. in Los Angeles.

Robert E. Howard was one of the greatest authors of his time and is considered the creator of the genre ?Sword & Sorcery?, perhaps most known through the character Conan. Despite his short literary career ? Howard died at the mere age of 30, after only 12 years as a productive author ? he wrote over 800 stories and poems. Howard?s breakthrough came when being published in the pulp magazine Weird Tales during the 1930s. His stories take us to such different surroundings as ancient Atlantis, the North African desert during WW1, hidden opium dens in dark alleys of the Big City, and northern Britain during the invasion of the Roman Legions.

Over the years, many authors have been inspired by Howard?s stories, and have praised his literary legacy, among them H. P. Lovecraft, Michael Moorcock, and Stephen King, who said about Howard: ?In his best work, Howard?s writing seems so highly charged with energy that it nearly gives off sparks. Stories such as ?People of the Black Circle? glow with the fierce and eldritch light of his frenzied intensity.?

# # #

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can I post this info on my site as a news flash??? This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#3 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:42 PM

So this begs te question; Will Paradox start to push other Howard characters into the limelight? Will we start to see new massmarket editions of REH's lesser known material. And, will Mongoose now have the right, or be able to get the rights, to do a Kull supplement of their Conan rpg?
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#4 Jason Durall

Jason Durall

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

What does this mean about the number of REH's works that are public domain?

#5 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

This is.. an interesting announcement. I feel like this must tie in to the rumors that Dark Horse is currently negotiating for other Howard characters like Kull and Kane.

#6 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:15 PM

In the context of how Paradox has handled the Conan rights this is tremendous news for fans of Robert E. Howard.

I'm also looking forward to some answers to the questions Kane presented.

Great news! Congratulations to Paradox/CPI - a job well done! B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#7 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:43 PM

In the context of  how Paradox has handled the Conan rights this is tremendous news for fans of Robert E. Howard.

I'm also looking forward to some answers to the questions Kane presented. 

Great news!  Congratulations to Paradox/CPI - a job well done!  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They sound like questions for Ask CPI...

#8 theGrayMan

theGrayMan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:56 PM

# # #

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm impressed. Howard gives all characters and sides their due in his stories, conflict though they be, in which the vigorous and strong are exactly that and act like it. I have always thought his work was a terrific start point for a world adventure library of film. Congratulations to you.

#9 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:29 PM

# # #

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does this do to the Kull and other collections DEL REY were planning on? Are those still going forward?

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#10 Isaacson2

Isaacson2

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

An interesting happenstance indeed!

Although I am excited at the potential possibilities available through Robert E. Howard's works/characters being governed solely by one central commercial body, I sincerely hope that Paradox Entertainment/CPI handles these treasures with the respect and dignity they deserve.

We can but wait and see!

Sincere Congratulations on your grand purchase anyway!

Danny.

Edited by Isaacson2, 07 February 2006 - 04:16 PM.

#11 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:31 PM

Like to add my congratulations to Paradox. Nice to see all REH's characters again "under one roof". Looking forward to announcements concerning them soon-please.

Terry

Contribute to the Cross Plains Fire Relief Fund . Further details at http://www.rehupa.com

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#12 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:21 AM

Paradox/CPI are indeed thrilled to have acquired the whole library and we are, as we stated in the press release, already in discussion with several partners in several different media regarding the new characters. The possibilities are endless with such a vast and fantastic treasure chest REH's literary legacy indeed is.

Questions in more detail regarding present and future deals are as Lord Durham suggested suitable for Ask CPI. That way we can gather them up and (hopefully) answer all your questions in a structured manner.

#13 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,971 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:00 AM

We will know if it is good or not by how they treat the property. So far, they have treated CPI better than any of the American owners.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject