Photo

Poll: Favorite Robert E. Howard Conan Story

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: What Robert E. Howard Conan story is your favorite? (314 member(s) have cast votes)

What Robert E. Howard Conan story is your favorite?

1. "The Phoenix on the Sword" (7 votes [2.23%])

Percentage of vote: 2.23%

2. Voted "The Tower of the Elephant" (27 votes [8.60%])

Percentage of vote: 8.60%

3. "The Scarlet Citadel" (9 votes [2.87%])

Percentage of vote: 2.87%

4. "Black Colossus" (10 votes [3.18%])

Percentage of vote: 3.18%

5. "Xuthal of the Dusk" (as "The Slithering Shadow") (5 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

6. "The Pool of the Black One" (3 votes [0.96%])

Percentage of vote: 0.96%

7. "Rogues in the House" (10 votes [3.18%])

8. "Iron Shadows in the Moon" (as "Shadows in the Moonlight") (2 votes [0.64%])

Percentage of vote: 0.64%

9. "Queen of the Black Coast" (26 votes [8.28%])

Percentage of vote: 8.28%

10. "The Devil in Iron" (1 votes [0.32%])

Percentage of vote: 0.32%

11. "The People of the Black Circle" (27 votes [8.60%])

Percentage of vote: 8.60%

12. "A Witch Shall Be Born" (10 votes [3.18%])

13. "Teeth of Gwahlur" (as "Jewels of Gwahlur") (5 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

14. "Beyond the Black River" (59 votes [18.79%])

Percentage of vote: 18.79%

15. "The Man-Eaters of Zamboula" (as "Shadows in Zamboula") (6 votes [1.91%])

Percentage of vote: 1.91%

16. ?The Hour of the Dragon? (40 votes [12.74%])

Percentage of vote: 12.74%

17. "Red Nails" (29 votes [9.24%])

Percentage of vote: 9.24%

18. ?The Frost-Giant's Daughter? (20 votes [6.37%])

Percentage of vote: 6.37%

19. ?God in the Bowl? (8 votes [2.55%])

Percentage of vote: 2.55%

20. "Black Stranger" or "Vale of the Lost Women " (10 votes [3.18%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Adam

Adam

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hour of the dragon of course. The only Conan novel and in every inch as good as LOTR for me. :)

#42 Ancient Ages

Ancient Ages

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:45 PM

I just finished reading The Black Stranger for the first time and I have to say it was amazing but still not my favourite Conan yarn. The Black Stranger is one the most epic Conan sotires , in my opinion, and has some of the greatest supporting characters in the Conan series. If you have not read the Black Stranger go read it now!

TBS is a good one, yup, but I felt it was a not really a Conan story as an Hyborian story. I don't know what you mean by "epic" really. If anything it was a very personal story more like a play with its claustrophobic setting and strong character tensions. And the whole business of the treasure in the cave seemed to have no strong link to the main story besides acting as a main motivation for the three pirates. I dunno, I was half-expecting the ghost/demon/thing to be in some way tied to the treasure and was disappointed when it didn't. I'd like to read the Black Vulmea version sometime to see how it compares.

#43 dwraley

dwraley

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:27 PM

I just finished reading The Black Stranger for the first time and I have to say it was amazing but still not my favourite Conan yarn. The Black Stranger is one the most epic Conan sotires , in my opinion, and has some of the greatest supporting characters in the Conan series. If you have not read the Black Stranger go read it now!

TBS is a good one, yup, but I felt it was a not really a Conan story as an Hyborian story. I don't know what you mean by "epic" really. If anything it was a very personal story more like a play with its claustrophobic setting and strong character tensions. And the whole business of the treasure in the cave seemed to have no strong link to the main story besides acting as a main motivation for the three pirates. I dunno, I was half-expecting the ghost/demon/thing to be in some way tied to the treasure and was disappointed when it didn't. I'd like to read the Black Vulmea version sometime to see how it compares.

Rogue's in the House is my favorite Conan story. The way Howard tells the story added a great deal to it, and if you haven't read the comic version of this by Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord, you should as soon as possible. Even though the story goes from text into visual medium, Nord and Busiek do an excellent job of remaining faithful to their source material.

#44 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:47 AM

Rogue's in the House is my favorite Conan story. The way Howard tells the story added a great deal to it, and if you haven't read the comic version of this by Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord, you should as soon as possible. Even though the story goes from text into visual medium, Nord and Busiek do an excellent job of remaining faithful to their source material.

Rogues is my favorite, too, but the Dark Horse version hasn't been released yet, unless there's something you'd care to share with us... :rolleyes:

#45 darthgall

darthgall

Storm Wolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

I hit "Pool of the Black One".

I had liked the conan comics, and as a kid I found a very tattered copy of Conan the Adventurer in a library while on vacation with my parents in Colorado. The name of Conan flipped a switch in my mind. And the Frazetta cover really lit me up. I just remember reading that story, and being enthralled by Conan hiding in the reeds watching the black one throw some hapless sailor into the pool, and subsequently shrinking... weird, awesome stuff.

I picked it for the fond memories... don't even remember the rest of it (that's as good an excuse as any to go by that edition now).

Others: Red Nails was awesome, but mostly I like the young conans: rogues int he house, tower of the elephant and god in the bowl.

Mick
Darth Gall

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - Henry Louis Mencken

#46 High Lord Dee

High Lord Dee

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:08 AM

Kind of surprised that no one voted for A Witch Shall be Born. Awesome stuff....

HLD
Men are sheep and I am the shepherd

#47 Conn of Cimmeria

Conn of Cimmeria

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:09 AM

It was a hard decision to make, but in the end I had to go with the one that first introduced me to REH and the mighty Cimmerian. Rogues in the House was the first story I ever read by REH, or about Conan. I found the story in an ancient copy of Weird Tales my grandfather had in the attic. When I was about ten I found a whole box of old pulp fiction mags he had kept from when he was a kid. Sadly, I didn't take more than a few to my house before the fire that destroyed my grandpa's old house. And worse, I didn't know the value of what I had found until years later, after most of what I had saved were long lost or destroyed in moves(I was a military brat for several years). I do have the one copy of Weird Tales in which I first read Rogues in the House. It is sealed in plastic, in my safety deposit box at the bank. I have considered having it appraised and insured, just in case. Come to think of it, I wish I had kept quite a few things from that attic before the fire. My great-great grandpa's Confederate Cavalry saber was up there, along with old tintypes and photos of early pioneering ancestors and the like. Crom knows what all that stuff was worth. I probably could have bought a palace in Tarantia with it all!!
The subtle tongue the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing,
Rush in and die dogs, I was a man before I was a king
-The Road of Kings by Robert E. Howard

#48 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

Conn, you're probably the only one among us who started on Weird Tales. I hoist my morning tea to you!

#49 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:23 AM

It is sealed in plastic, in my safety deposit box at the bank. I have considered having it appraised and insured, just in case.

It's worth up to a few bones depending on condition - but it isn't worth moneywise anything near needing to be appraised or insured - unless except to you for sentimental value of course . I sold off my collection of about 80 or so issues of Weird Tales about 4 to 5 years ago - including a decent number of issues Howard was in - including that one you mentioned - from '33 I think it was - maybe '34 , dunno without going to look it up this very minute . Check out Weird Tales issues on ebay & maybe the few shops online that deal in old pulps . You can get a good idea of what they're worth - by their 'final' auction prices -if they actually sell - NOT by the starting prices - there's a couple guys who put 'em up for auction again & again - some issues of which they posted & re-posted for the better part of a year because of their ridiculous pricing . The fact that being printed on such cheap pulp-stock they didn't last in any decent condition for the most part thru the years - if they even survived all the paper-drives during the war & afterwards - so they are pretty rare in even 'regular' yellowed condition & that makes some clowns think they can set whatever price they want - well months & months later they still haven't sold online in a lot of cases . There's actually a couple good price-guides finally on the market now for pulp-mag collectors ( & damn well - about time !! ) - can't recall the exact name or publishers offhand , but you could prob. find it easy enough in a few searches .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#50 vtavisigoth

vtavisigoth

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:53 AM

OMG. Definitely "Beyond The Black River". Oh no! I can't explain why without spoiling it. So how about some random words:

copper weapons, running, raw frogs, deception, arrows, more deception, cunning, wit, balustrades, sands, uncomfortable alliances, poor defenseless females, escape and a few months later the road to ********.

#51 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:37 AM

It's a shame nobody's voted for Phoenix on the Sword, it had one of my favourite Conan chapters in it. :(

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#52 Xaltotun

Xaltotun

Undead Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

So many to choose from!
"Black Colossus." B)

#53 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

OMG. Definitely "Beyond The Black River". Oh no! I can't explain why without spoiling it. So how about some random words:

copper weapons, running, raw frogs, deception, arrows, more deception, cunning, wit, balustrades, sands, uncomfortable alliances, poor defenseless females, escape and a few months later the road to ********.

:D

You're not a bus driver are you?

#54 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:06 AM

- or a postal employee ?

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#55 AMRA_thelion

AMRA_thelion

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

-a photographer at Sears?
"With a savage wrench Conan twisted Baal-pteor's head around until the ghastly face leered over the left shoulder, and the vertebrea snapped like a rotten branch."The conquering sword of Conan.

#56 Darkstorm Dale

Darkstorm Dale

HYBORIAN HERETIC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

My choice is Red Nails.

The story really hangs together well, in my opinion. It features a Conan completely on top of his game and Howard provides pretty much everything I require from a heroic fantasy story. ;)
"Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to see Him if you don't struggle to get them right." - Stephen Jay Gould

"A man receives only what he is ready to receive. . . .
The phenomenon or fact that cannot in any wise be linked with the rest of what he has observed, he does not observe.
" - Henry D. Thoreau

"There never was an explanation which didn't itself need to be explained" - Charles Fort

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." - Oscar Wilde

#57 leburtski

leburtski

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:21 AM

My pick was Frost Giant's Daughter. REH used an economy of words and painted a kick-ass little scene that pretty much everyone here can recite chapet & verse, as it were. I don't mean reciting text, but we can all describe the imagery, the emotions, the smell of testosterone thick in the air . . .
REH's longer stuff does the same, but has a rhythym to it, almost an ebb & flow. Frost Giant drops you in the middle of a feeding frenzy and chums the water. It is an incredibly tight piece of writing that grabs you and holds you in place until the ride's over.
The only other piece I would have voted for was Queen of the Black Coast; the image of Conan on the shore, watching Belit's funeral pyre head out to sea and disappear over the horizon has a poignant feel to it that's stuck w/ me for a looong time now. Anyway, there it is.
"WHAT WOULD CONAN DO?"

#58 The Cimmerian

The Cimmerian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:11 AM

BEYOND THE BLACK RIVER is my favorite story.

It was also my first REH read, which (I'm embarrassed to say) happened about 3 months ago! I picked up a copy of RED NAILS, the Berkeley/Putnam copy from 1977 (edited by Karl Edward Wagner).. the one with the Ken Kelly dustpapers, and it was the first story in there. What a read! It gave me what I feel is the TRUE Conan... and the story was an absolute page turner for me. Even with the death of the secondary character, who was supposedly autobiographically based on REH himself! The story lives up to it's famous final quote.

Previous to this, I had read about half the run of SAVAGE SWORD, and some of the comics here and there. None of them had the power of this story.

I have since gotten both THE COMING OF CONAN and THE CONQUERING SWORD OF CONAN, and read them. I am also looking for the third. I love the stories, even the ones that are supposedly not as good. I really enjoyed RED NAILS, as well. But BEYOND THE BLACK RIVER has something else in it... a sense of urgency... a realism... a survival aspect that was so real and spoke to me. I consider it high literature, and would rank it with anything from any of the so-called classic American authors (Melville, Hawthorne, etc.).
The Cimmerian

"Barbarism is the natural stae of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim
of circumstance. And barbarism must ultimately triumph." REH

#59 balthus

balthus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:43 AM

To me they are all great. My personal favourites are the Jewels of Gwahlur and Beyond the Black River. After Conan recognizes Muriela (who was pretending to be Yelaya) he says, "Crom! is there no honesty anywhere?" This shows Conan's sense of humour, especially since he was not being honest himself when he presented his offer to the Keshans. Also in the same story when one of the servants of Bit-Yakin dropped Muriela and the chest, we have the line that says, "Conan did not hesitate, nor did he even glance toward the chest that held the wealth of an epoch." Beyond the Black River has a few epic spots as well. When Balthus and Conan are fighting the Picts, we have the line "Then he realized the full strength and ferocity of the Cimmerian..." And of course, at the end of the story we have the paragrah " Barbarism is the natural state of mankind" followed at the end by "And barbarism must always ultimately triumph." Awesome lines all. :D

#60 Skarthi

Skarthi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

I voted 'Beyond the Black River'.....class....pure class.