Photo

Poll: Favorite Robert E. Howard Conan Story

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: What Robert E. Howard Conan story is your favorite? (314 member(s) have cast votes)

What Robert E. Howard Conan story is your favorite?

1. "The Phoenix on the Sword" (7 votes [2.23%])

Percentage of vote: 2.23%

2. Voted "The Tower of the Elephant" (27 votes [8.60%])

Percentage of vote: 8.60%

3. "The Scarlet Citadel" (9 votes [2.87%])

Percentage of vote: 2.87%

4. "Black Colossus" (10 votes [3.18%])

Percentage of vote: 3.18%

5. "Xuthal of the Dusk" (as "The Slithering Shadow") (5 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

6. "The Pool of the Black One" (3 votes [0.96%])

Percentage of vote: 0.96%

7. "Rogues in the House" (10 votes [3.18%])

8. "Iron Shadows in the Moon" (as "Shadows in the Moonlight") (2 votes [0.64%])

Percentage of vote: 0.64%

9. "Queen of the Black Coast" (26 votes [8.28%])

Percentage of vote: 8.28%

10. "The Devil in Iron" (1 votes [0.32%])

Percentage of vote: 0.32%

11. "The People of the Black Circle" (27 votes [8.60%])

Percentage of vote: 8.60%

12. "A Witch Shall Be Born" (10 votes [3.18%])

13. "Teeth of Gwahlur" (as "Jewels of Gwahlur") (5 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

14. "Beyond the Black River" (59 votes [18.79%])

Percentage of vote: 18.79%

15. "The Man-Eaters of Zamboula" (as "Shadows in Zamboula") (6 votes [1.91%])

Percentage of vote: 1.91%

16. ?The Hour of the Dragon? (40 votes [12.74%])

Percentage of vote: 12.74%

17. "Red Nails" (29 votes [9.24%])

Percentage of vote: 9.24%

18. ?The Frost-Giant's Daughter? (20 votes [6.37%])

Percentage of vote: 6.37%

19. ?God in the Bowl? (8 votes [2.55%])

Percentage of vote: 2.55%

20. "Black Stranger" or "Vale of the Lost Women " (10 votes [3.18%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

I really have always liked Teeth of Gwahlur. The biggest reason for this is the vivid scenery and atmosphere. On a side-note, the first time I read this was when I was around 18 and I remember stealing a couple of Newcastles out of my dad's fridge and drinking them while I was reading lol.

I think 'Teeth of Gwahlur'/'Servants of Bit-Yakin' is underrated. I find it generally well written and suspenseful.

#182 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Red Nails is super-awesome. It reads like the best D&D dungeon crawl ever, and is one of the most developed visions of the Conan character. The other characters in the story are fantastic but believable. In some ways it resembles my least-favorite Conan story The Slithering Shadow, but less contrived and with a solid resolution.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#183 DanielLin

DanielLin

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

Hard question, it's either "Beyond the black river", or "The tower of the elephant". Then closely followed by "red nails"and "Queen of the black coast" :P

#184 jonanthebarbarian

jonanthebarbarian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

Definitely Tower of the elephant. Then Queen of the Black Coast and Hour of the Dragon both hold Second. Followed by Vale of Lost the Women

#185 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Definitely Tower of the elephant.

One of the finest fantasy stories ever written. Welcome to the forum! :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#186 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

Definitely Tower of the elephant. Then Queen of the Black Coast and Hour of the Dragon both hold Second. Followed by Vale of Lost the Women

Interesting! Vale of the Lost Women doesn't get a much love on this forum. What is it about that one that you like the most?

#187 VonKalmbach

VonKalmbach

Scrawler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I voted for Hour of the Dragon. Not only is this the only Conan novel, but I feel Howard worked his guts out on this probably harder than any other Conan story he ever wrote, only to get kicked when the publisher went under.

Honourable mentions go to Beyond the Black River, the People of the Black Circle, Tower of the Elephant, Queen of the Black Coast.

Red Nails for Valeria.

And Shadows in Zamboula - from The Spell of Seven - my first Conan story, and the one which hooked me into tracking down the rest.

'Peril hides in the house of Aram Baksh!' ... probably the first words of Howard I ever read.

“Do you try to write like the guys who write for the magazines you write for?” Clyde asked. “Hell, no,” Bob was emphatic about that. “I let them try to write like me.” - From One Who Walked Alone by Novalyne Price Ellis

“I'm learning all I can about the technique. There's where the true pleasure comes in, in any profession, learning the basic rules, the conventions, the technique... Some people are interested only in the finshed article. Not me. When I am interested in anything I want to see it in its crudest state and watch it evolve.”

"What did you say yore name was, amigo?" "Steve Costigan, A. B. on the sailing vessel Sea Girl," I answered. "I want you fellers to hang around and meet Bill O'Brien and Mushy Hanson, my shipmates, they'll be around purty soon with my bulldog Mike. I'm waitin' for 'em."

"I want to know where I came from and why and what relation I hold to the rest of the universe."

Robert E Howard

#188 jonanthebarbarian

jonanthebarbarian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Interesting! Vale of the Lost Women doesn't get a much love on this forum. What is it about that one that you like the most?

It's because it seems a little off beat than most other Conan stories. The story starting in the captive woman's point of view was a nice change of pace. Part of it might be cause the copy I read out of the most had illustrations from Mark Schultz. The illustration he did for the winged beast he fights is awesome

Edited by jonanthebarbarian, 03 November 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#189 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

I'm for BS, but the vote is joined with that of TVoLW.

#190 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I would have liked to vote with points ... 1 Queen of the Black Coast, 2 Scarlet Citadel, 3 Frost Giants Daughter ,

Hour of the Dragon has something something of all of them also a nice read.

#191 jonanthebarbarian

jonanthebarbarian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Frost Giants Daughter was probably one of the first stories I really loved. Until I read more. It's hard to pinpoint specific stories sometimes. I get to thinking of some of the others and I'm just like yeah that story was awesome!

#192 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

Frost Giants Daughter was probably one of the first stories I really loved. Until I read more. It's hard to pinpoint specific stories sometimes. I get to thinking of some of the others and I'm just like yeah that story was awesome!

I agree. Kinda like having to name the favorite song from your favorite band. If an artist is THAT good, speaking to you on so many levels, then they probably don't have one work that far outshines the rest (in your subjective opinion). Basically, I divide the REH Conan yarns into "Awesome", "Damned Good/Great", "Still Pretty Good". I'm still not perfectly happy with my choice for this poll, but I had to choose something.

Basically, my #1 shifts around some depending on my mood and what I'm reading at the moment. I certainly wouldn't want to rank all 20 from best to "worst".

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#193 jonanthebarbarian

jonanthebarbarian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Right!?! We should be able to vote on like top five. At the very least

#194 Crom2006

Crom2006

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

I would go with Hour of the Red Dragon. It has the most epic quest, the best villain, plenty of bizarre fantasy and action, and the fact that Conan goes back to his old ways to win back his throne even though he was almost tempted to forget about it since he had more freedom as a thief instead of a king. Plus, Conan's journey into the temple in Stygia is one of the greatest moments in a Conan story where there was a sexy vampire lady and walking copse. However, Red Nails, Tower of the Elephant, Queen of the Black Coast, and especially Beyond the Black River comes really close in my list.

Edited by Crom2006, 30 December 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#195 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

I would go with Hour of the Red Dragon. It has the most epic quest, the best villain, plenty of bizarre fantasy and action, and the fact that Conan goes back to his old ways to win back his throne even though he was almost tempted to forget about it since he had more freedom as a thief instead of a king. Plus, Conan's journey into the temple in Stygia is one of the greatest moments in a Conan story where there was a sexy vampire lady and walking copse. However, Red Nails, Tower of the Elephant, Queen of the Black Coast, and especially Beyond the Black River comes really close in my list.

Pretty close to my picks. Welcome to the forum, Crom2006. :D

#196 Crom2006

Crom2006

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Pretty close to my picks. Welcome to the forum, Crom2006. :D

Thanks, glad to be a member of this website. :)

#197 Crom2006

Crom2006

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Right!?! We should be able to vote on like top five. At the very least

Very true, There are too many stories that are really good that should not be left out. Sometimes us fans have more than one favorite story.

#198 Erlik

Erlik

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

My favorite is The Tower of the Elephant. I love the part when he is in the tavern, and is made fun of, a scuffle ensues, lights go out, when they are re-lit Conan is gone and but the man who made fun of him is lying dead on the floor.

#199 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

My favorite is The Tower of the Elephant. I love the part when he is in the tavern, and is made fun of, a scuffle ensues, lights go out, when they are re-lit Conan is gone and but the man who made fun of him is lying dead on the floor.

That's what happens when you transgress "barbaric courtesy'. B)

#200 Victoria Noel

Victoria Noel

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I liked the frost giants daughter, it was a classic conan tell of him not quitting