Photo

Poll: Favorite Robert E. Howard Conan Story

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: What Robert E. Howard Conan story is your favorite? (313 member(s) have cast votes)

What Robert E. Howard Conan story is your favorite?

1. "The Phoenix on the Sword" (7 votes [2.24%])

Percentage of vote: 2.24%

2. Voted "The Tower of the Elephant" (27 votes [8.63%])

Percentage of vote: 8.63%

3. "The Scarlet Citadel" (9 votes [2.88%])

Percentage of vote: 2.88%

4. "Black Colossus" (10 votes [3.19%])

Percentage of vote: 3.19%

5. "Xuthal of the Dusk" (as "The Slithering Shadow") (5 votes [1.60%])

Percentage of vote: 1.60%

6. "The Pool of the Black One" (3 votes [0.96%])

Percentage of vote: 0.96%

7. "Rogues in the House" (10 votes [3.19%])

8. "Iron Shadows in the Moon" (as "Shadows in the Moonlight") (2 votes [0.64%])

Percentage of vote: 0.64%

9. "Queen of the Black Coast" (26 votes [8.31%])

Percentage of vote: 8.31%

10. "The Devil in Iron" (1 votes [0.32%])

Percentage of vote: 0.32%

11. "The People of the Black Circle" (26 votes [8.31%])

Percentage of vote: 8.31%

12. "A Witch Shall Be Born" (10 votes [3.19%])

13. "Teeth of Gwahlur" (as "Jewels of Gwahlur") (5 votes [1.60%])

Percentage of vote: 1.60%

14. "Beyond the Black River" (59 votes [18.85%])

Percentage of vote: 18.85%

15. "The Man-Eaters of Zamboula" (as "Shadows in Zamboula") (6 votes [1.92%])

Percentage of vote: 1.92%

16. ?The Hour of the Dragon? (40 votes [12.78%])

Percentage of vote: 12.78%

17. "Red Nails" (29 votes [9.27%])

Percentage of vote: 9.27%

18. ?The Frost-Giant's Daughter? (20 votes [6.39%])

Percentage of vote: 6.39%

19. ?God in the Bowl? (8 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

20. "Black Stranger" or "Vale of the Lost Women " (10 votes [3.19%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:41 AM

Please vote by clicking the appropriate button in the poll above.

In the spirit of commemorating the centennial anniversary of Robert E. Howard's birth we present a poll for you to vote on your favorite REH Conan story

Every unedited Robert E. Howard Conan story has now - for the first time ever- been collected in a beautiful and affordable 3 book series from Del Rey:

The Coming of Conan
The Bloody Crown of Conan
The Conquering Sword of Conan

Most of you would say every REH Conan story is great. And you are right. But maybe you have a memory or experience that you relate to one story over the rest - maybe the first one you read, or a story that just captured your imagination and swept you into the story. Here's a chance to vote for your favorite Robert E. Howard story of all time and share your comments.

B)

Note: Do to software restrictions we included The Black Stranger & Vale of the Lost Women under one button - feel free to vote but distinguish which story was your favorite.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#2 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:57 AM

Hey, hey, you forgot Thing In The Crypt. Just kidding! :D

This is hard, and since I only get one vote I gotta meditate and ponder this one...

eany meany miny moe...

#3 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:18 AM

Most of you would say every REH Conan story is great.  And you are right.  But maybe you have a memory or experience that you relate to one story over the rest - maybe the first one you read, or a story that just captured your imagination and swept you into the story.  Here's a chance to vote for your favorite Robert E. Howard story of all time and share your comments.

Note:  Do to software restrictions we included  The Black Stranger & The Servants of Bit-Yakin under one button - feel free to vote but distinguish which story was your favorite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the exact one I voted for , Black Stranger . Didn't even ponder the others for consideration . That story is so good to me that I even like the chopped & twisted version by DeCamp called 'Treasure of Tranicos' . The fact that Howard couldn't sell it while he was alive shows me that it was 'not' an un-marketable adventure story , but that it was simply ahead of it's time & the editors of the day didn't quite know what to make of the story . Even when reading Howards re-write of it as a Terrence Vulmea yarn , I always had the sense that it was Conan no matter what . The story has all of the elements that made his writing unique & that in spades !! Every one here , you need to vote !! - If for nothing else -you 'know' that you want to know what & 'why' each story is so popular by Conan fans right ??! - Don't just pick one , think about them all for a few minutes & roll the ideas around like a new wine on your palate , & then tell us all 'WHY' the story hits you like a fist in the guts , I for one really want to know . Hell , even tell us the parts of some that you don't like or that bug you............

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#4 Kieran

Kieran

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

Had to be People of the Black Circle. But honourable mentions to The Black Stranger, Red Nails and The Slithering Shadow.
Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

#5 howler

howler

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

Considering myself a big Canon fan I'm a little embarrassed to say I've never read anything other than the "Trail Of Tranicos" versian of "Black Stranger".

"Beyond the Black River" is the favorite I picked.

I liked the setting. Howards "Picts" are like Iroquios ( Mowhawks, Onieda etc from North Eastern United States ) and a bit scary I might add. If the story had muskets and Kentucky long rifles it would make a good Robert Lewis Stevenson story.On steroids of course.

#6 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

I don't know if I really made the right choice with all things considered, but I picked "The Frost Giant's Daughter" because that story haunts me.
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#7 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

I was kind of suprised by my own choice, since I have never really given much thought to this issue. But the first one I came to that I really liked was Queen of the Black Coast, and I decided that I could then use that as a test against the rest, and ultimately none of the rest turned out to be better in my mind that Queen. I don't know if that is because the romantic element, probably the strongest purely romantic element in any Conan story, was the main reason but I am sure it was a factor. The whole story is balanced well with all the archetypical formula ingredients of the various tales, almost making it a "Fall of the House of Usher" type representation.

#8 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:52 AM

For me, nothing can compare to the end scene in Queen of the Black Coast.
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#9 Speelie

Speelie

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:03 AM

No story made as strong a first impression on me as Beyond the Black River, back when I was 13 or so (circa 1983). So that got my vote. But a second choice vote would go out to The Hour of the Dragon, which is the story that really made me a Conan fan.

#10 TroceroQuijas

TroceroQuijas

Infamous Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:42 AM

What a list.
I simply cant decide.
This takes alot of consideration and not guaranteeing a decision made.
Time to read them all again! ;)
"Maddened with the sight of victory, these wild peoples were like wounded tigers, feeling no wounds, and dying on their feet with their last gasp a snarl of fury"

#11 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:13 AM

After MUCH consideration, I must go for 'Queen of the Black Coast'. What a tough series of choices.

#12 Silent Albatross

Silent Albatross

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

In my opinion I think that "the scarlet citadel" is the best.
My Conan Webpage

Posted Image

"Music is the proof of the esistence of God"

#13 kansasbarbarian

kansasbarbarian

Kansan by birth,Barbarian by the grace of God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

I voted for Black Stranger. I really like BTBR,QOTBC,RITH,and FGD also. Those are the ones that get me.

Edited by kansasbarbarian, 05 March 2006 - 04:04 PM.

#14 wayland

wayland

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:28 PM

Very hard to choose... I voted for Beyond the Black River... But Red Nails, Tower of the Elephant, Rouges in the House and Queen of the Black Coast are all must reads if you are new to REH.

#15 Ant

Ant

Formicida!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

...Note:  Do to software restrictions we included  The Black Stranger & The Servants of Bit-Yakin under one button - feel free to vote but distinguish which story was your favorite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was silly of you, Strom, for "The Servants of Bit-Yakin" is an alternative title for "Jewels of Gwahlur"/"Teeth of Gwahlur", used in the WS/DR collections.

Also (and this is sadly pedantic), "The Frost Giant's Daughter" is de Camp's bastardization; REH's story is "The Frost-Giant's Daughter".

Anyway, I voted for The People of the Black Circle, making it joint first. For now.

Cordialement,
Ant

Edited by Ant, 05 March 2006 - 06:46 PM.

My LibraryThing ● Go here now → CONAN wiki ← & add what you know! ●

#16 VincentDarlage

VincentDarlage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

The first Conan story I ever read was The People of the Black Circle. It remains my favorite.

#17 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

...Note:? Do to software restrictions we included? The Black Stranger & The Servants of Bit-Yakin under one button - feel free to vote but distinguish which story was your favorite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was silly of you, Strom, for "The Servants of Bit-Yakin" is an alternative title for "Jewels of Gwahlur"/"Teeth of Gwahlur", used in the WS/DR collections.

Also (and this is sadly pedantic), "The Frost Giant's Daughter" is de Camp's bastardization; REH's story is "The Frost-Giant's Daughter".

Anyway, I voted for The People of the Black Circle, making it joint first. For now.

Cordialement,
Ant

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Ant! I knew there were 21 total stories and meant to have Vale of the Lost Women as the 21st choice but accidently put in the Servants of Bit-Yakin. I made the correction and added Vale to the list and changed the title for Howard's Frost Giant story. Thanks again Ant. :)

Also I want to remind all members that in order for your vote to count, you need to select a button next to the story of your choice and then click the 'vote' button on the poll above the first post - just posting your choice in this thread will not record your choice. B)

Edited by Strom, 05 March 2006 - 07:23 PM.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#18 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

Tough choice. Though choice indeed. I enjoy them all so much. But I voted Rogues in the House.
Crom!

#19 War Song

War Song

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

For me, it's a toss-up between Black Colossus and The People of the Black Circle. ;)

#20 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:22 AM

Tough choice. Though choice indeed. I enjoy them all so much. But I voted Rogues in the House.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hurrah! Go Thak! ;)