200 replies to this topic

#181 chris75

chris75

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for joining, John. I devoured your books when I was in middle school, Valorous was the first one I read. I also love Champion and Bold, and the first third of Marauder. I'm curious, what is your favorite of all the original Howard tales? And aside from Conan stories, what are your favorite works of Sword-and-Sorcery/heroic fantasy to read outside of Conan?
Chris

#182 TheDarkslayer

TheDarkslayer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

Well this was really cool. I am new and I have been checking out the threads. Mr. Maddox is a favorite. I had to pull out Conan the Champion. I had a painting made of the cover when I was in the Philippines (1987). It was a favorite book, but the painting didn't turn out so well. Now I am going to have to read it again. It should help me with my own series The Darkslayer. I am reading Conan the Invincible again now. Two excellent authors.

In Conan the Champion their is an early battle with swords and shields. For some reason it's one of the best Conan fights I ever read. I always like using shields with my characters because of that. See pic by Ernie Chan.

I hope I catch more of his posts.

Edited by TheDarkslayer, 06 April 2011 - 01:49 AM.

Craig Halloran
author of The Darkslayer

Check out my books and blog!

http://www.thedarkslayer.com

Favorite Conan Stories: The Black Stranger, Queen of the Black Coast ... (i'm going back and re-reading REH Conan) It's long over due.
Favorite Conan Artist: Ernie Chan

#183 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hi J.M.R., I am a fan of your adventure series, The Falcon, that you did for Signet back in the day. The stories were bold, bloody and even a little salty, but a total hoot! I miss the days of the "mens adventure series" that were so common back in the late 70's, early 80's. There was a lot of crap floating around, but there was some real gems, too. Do you recall the Resistance series by Gregory St.Germain, WWII adventure, also from Signet at around the same time as Falcon? Who was Gregory St.Germain, where did he go, did he write anything else? I thought he did a really good job with these stories, and along with your Falcon books, will always have a place on my bookshelf.

#184 Petroz

Petroz

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this thread isn't the right place for my question, but I'm new and can't create new threads yet.

I'm looking for last few pages of Conan the Rogue written by John Maddox Roberts. I've bought this book, but it's damaged and doesn't have last few pages. Is there anyone on this forum, who could take a picture of last few pages and send them on my email? The last page in my book ends with Julus (city guard) killing royal judge of Sicas - Bombas.Thanks in advance for help.

Regards,
Petroz

#185 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this thread isn't the right place for my question, but I'm new and can't create new threads yet.

I'm looking for last few pages of Conan the Rogue written by John Maddox Roberts. I've bought this book, but it's damaged and doesn't have last few pages. Is there anyone on this forum, who could take a picture of last few pages and send them on my email? The last page in my book ends with Julus (city guard) killing royal judge of Sicas - Bombas.Thanks in advance for help.

Regards,
Petroz

I don't have this book but plan on getting it. John Maddox is an excellent author who's on this forum. You might try Abebooks.com as I just looked and there are some available. Also, If you have a local mom and pop used & new bookstore give them a try. This way you'll have a complete book and a nice collectable :rolleyes:

Good luck.
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#186 Petroz

Petroz

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hi everyone!

Regards,
Petroz

I don't have this book but plan on getting it. John Maddox is an excellent author who's on this forum. You might try Abebooks.com as I just looked and there are some available. Also, If you have a local mom and pop used & new bookstore give them a try. This way you'll have a complete book and a nice collectable :rolleyes:

Good luck.

I'm from europe, from Poland, so it's inefficient to buy books in US, and send them to my country. :) I can't find this book on any public library and old book shop in my city... that's why I'm looking on Internet... and that's how I ended up here. Besides, I've only need the last few pages... not a brand new book

EDIT: Thanks to user Cromsblood. I've finally got, what I've been looking for!

Edited by Petroz, 30 September 2011 - 07:36 AM.

#187 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

Sorry to have taken so long to reply, but this is a sub-forum I don't visit often, compared to some of the others. I plan to bring out the Falcon series as E-books soon, when I figure out how to do it (probably have to hire a kid). All of the Signet Action Adventure books were written under house-owned pseudonyms, so St. Germain is somebody writing under another name. You can find out just about anything on the Internet these days, so his true identity shouldn't be hard to find.

#188 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:32 AM

I plan to bring out the Falcon series as E-books soon, when I figure out how to do it (probably have to hire a kid).

That'll be great!

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#189 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for answering back, JMR. I am looking forward to E-book versions of the Falcon, as I cannot seem to find my paperback versions after a recent purging (damn it!). I have stumbled across a few neat pulp-style books like TNT and The Baroness, and they can be fun reading. But man, the Falcon series rocked!

#190 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:52 AM

John, any chance you'll write some more Conan?

#191 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

If i were a writer today i wouldnt want to touch the Conan character for fear of getting Lambasted as every new Conan related product does these days!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#192 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

John; picked up a copy of "The Islander" from your Stormlands series. The concept is interesting, and I look forward to reading it soon. I will post some thoughts when I have completed reading it. Cheers.

#193 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Hope you like it.

#194 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,203 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

I plan to bring out the Falcon series as E-books soon, when I figure out how to do it (probably have to hire a kid).

That'll be great!

Right on. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#195 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

I have three of those in paperback and I'm happy to hear you're making them available again. Viva la e-book revolution! B)
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#196 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

how many falcons? Just the published ones?

#197 sherlock

sherlock

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

I've seen some folks comment on aspects of The Maltese Falcon in John's Conan the Rogue. They are certainly present. I was picturing Sidney Greenstreet as I read all of Casperus' lines (the name is even a tribute) and loving it. His two-sworded lackey getting disarmed and embarassed by Conan was a great recreation of a classic Bogart scene. And Delia has some Mary Astor in her. As you might guess, I love the novel and the movie (and I don't mean the version with Ricardo Cortez).

But as Conan stirred things up in the plot, it brought to mind another of Dashiell Hammet's excellent works, Red Harvest.

John Maddox Roberts wrote a pastiche as a Conan-noir tale in tribute to the best of the pulp detective/hard boiled writers (I'd take Hammet over Chandler in a heartbeat). This is a fun yet authentic Conan tale.

This has become my favorite non-Howard Conan. And if you haven't read Dashiell Hammet, you're missing out on something!

Edited by sherlock, 06 April 2012 - 05:59 PM.

Joshua 24:15 - As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

#198 RaptorXI

RaptorXI

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hi everyone (especially Mr. Roberts),

I'm new at this forum and just wanted show my appreciation for the SPQR-series (so don't grudge me please if this is a bit off-topic). I discovered it coincidentally first but now I've almost read them all (in German). I really like Decius, his friends and fellows (except the young Hermes who is nasty!),also how you brought the ancient to life and characterized historical personalities like Cicero, Caesar, Cato etc. Are you still working on it?
I have also heard that there are some short stories (which haven't been published yet outside America), is that true?

Big thanks for these awesome books and regards from Germany!

#199 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hey, welcome, RaptorXI!

#200 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

A reason other characters like Turlough and Howard's sailors haven't been fleshed out by other writers may be that they're very linked to their historical context. Someone looking to write a story about a wandering ex-cavalier will find that Turlough Dubh and Cormac Fitzgeoffrey are almost less-famous than any random character he could make up on the spot. A lack of an aware market is a big part of the reason, I think; though personally Cormac and Turlough are among my favorite REH characters.

I'm half-way through Conan the Valorous, it's pretty good.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian